gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:41:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy Soundtrack  (Read 62107 times)
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2014, 08:06:55 PM »

What would the Love and Mercy Soundtrack be like?

My Picks would be

Brian Wilson Songs

1.   "Love and Mercy"     
2.   "Walkin' the Line"     
3.   "Melt Away"     
4.   "Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long"     
5.   "Little Children" 
6.   "One for the Boys"     
7.   "There's So Many" 

Their Surfin songs and other song included

I had a fast Life
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:06:04 PM »

I wouldn't mind some of Brian's best later material getting some added exposure-- "Gettin' in Over My Head", "It's Not Easy Being Me", "Cry", "Midnight's Another Day", etc.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 12:06:29 AM »

In My Car. They could've used it for a scene where someone's driving a car.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 05:35:01 AM »

The instrumental section of Til I Die should be played throughout his bed years

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 10:06:12 AM »

This is just a guess...

1. Surfin' USA
2. I Get Around (w/Studio Chatter)
3. Don't Worry Baby (w/Studio Chatter)
4. Be My Baby - The Ronettes
5. God Only Knows (w/Sessions)
6. Sloop John B (w/Sessions)
7. Caroline No (w/Sessions)
8. You Still Believe In Me (w/Sessions)
9. Here Today (w/Sessions)
11. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
12. I Live For the Sun - The Sunrays
13. Good Vibrations (w/Sessions)
14. Surf's Up (From 'Inside Pop')
15. Heroes And Villains (w/Sessions)
16. The Elements: Fire (w/Sessions)
17. Day By Day - The Four Freshmen
18. 'Til I Die
19. In My Room
20. Wouldn't It Be Nice
21. Love and Mercy (From 'Live At the Roxy)

Plus various Atticus Ross score interludes.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 10:07:49 AM »

Last I heard there would NOT be an OST.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 10:48:44 AM »

Did you hear that since Billboard mentioned this:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6258962/love-mercy-john-cusack-paul-dano-brian-wilson-beach-boys

Capitol will release a soundtrack of Love & Mercy, Pohlad told Billboard, although he has no further details.

Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 01:52:22 PM »

Pretty much the same time.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 02:35:14 PM »

also In My room should be in a scene where they are in a room..  Grin and somewhere near japan when it shows their Japanese tour..
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 02:40:23 PM »

My money's on Howie, not in the least because what he says agrees nicely with what I've heard... and I'd believe him before I'd believe me.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 07:41:02 AM »

also In My room should be in a scene where they are in a room..  Grin and somewhere near japan when it shows their Japanese tour..

Sounds good. If the movie has a happy ending I think "Happy Endings" should be playing over the credits. Not a Brian composition, I know, but he was present as a cartoon character in the cute music video they shot for the song.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 08:00:10 AM »

Phirnis, are you forgetting about "Happy Days"?
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 08:02:42 AM »

BTW, listening to "Happy Days" now, that's probably one of Brian's best vocals from the '80s on. About 1:30 in, there's an amazing falsetto part in the background. Was that really Brian?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 11:36:58 PM »

Darn shame… surely a missed opportunity?

“We live in divisive times.”
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 06:42:57 AM »

Really not a missed opportunity, John.

A Love And Mercy soundtrack would probably not feature anything we don't already have, and due to licensing issues would be forced to be released through Capitol, who clearly rate the BB's catalogue as -- at best -- a second class citizen and at worst, their biggest annoyance. The promotion on MIC (and choice of release date) was among the poorest I've witnessed by a major act. A barrel scraping Elvis comp gets handled with far more respect and promotional budget. Shameful and inexcusable following the success of the TSS, TWGMTR, and the 50th tour.  

That's where effective BB management would come in and protect the brand in dealings with the company they're tied to forever.

Let the new BW LP serve as the tie-in musical component to the the film, and let that get the press as opposed to a comp that in reality will fare no better on the market than Classics did.

I could be wrong, but unfortunately, I don't think so.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:01:36 AM by Howie Edelson » Logged
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 08:39:39 AM »

A Love And Mercy soundtrack would probably not feature anything we don't already have, and due to licensing issues would be forced to be released through Capitol, who clearly rate the BB's catalogue as -- at best -- a second class citizen and at worst, their biggest annoyance. The promotion on MIC (and choice of release date) was among the poorest I've witnessed by a major act. A barrel scraping Elvis comp gets handled with far more respect and promotional budget. Shameful and inexcusable following the success of the TSS, TWGMTR, and the 50th tour.  

It makes me wonder, why did Capitol bother to go to the trouble of putting together something like MiC if they weren't going to promote it?  Or was it due to the fact that it was released a year later than originally planned, and they had already decided that all their BB promotion was going to be in 2011/2012?   Would love to know the thought process behind some of these decisions.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 08:43:13 AM by Les P » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 09:07:36 AM »

Once the movie is released in bluray it should be a fairly easy task to create ones own soundtrack.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 10:54:52 AM »

A Love And Mercy soundtrack would probably not feature anything we don't already have

Given the music cues in the screenplay (posted elsewhere on this board), you are right on that count.  However, since nothing to the contrary has been reported since that Billboard article, I would think there will still be one.  At the very least, featuring the original score by Atticus Ross and some key music cues.

One thing I'll say (again) I'm anxiously awaiting the films release next year.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 10:59:57 AM »

A Love And Mercy soundtrack would probably not feature anything we don't already have

In the movie, isn't Dano singing part of the songs though? If they are anything like the 'Walk The Line' tracks (in terms of quality, and playability - even though they aren't original recordings), I'll be pretty bummed if there isn't a soundtrack.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 11:01:51 AM »

In the movie, isn't Dano singing part of the songs though? If they are anything like the 'Walk The Line' tracks (in terms of quality, and playability - even though they aren't original recordings), I'll be pretty bummed if there isn't a soundtrack.

From everything I've read (and it's a lot), there are many scenes with Dano and the other BB cast lip syncing and then occasionally some blended with Dano and actual BB's.  And then there is the Surf's Up (Inside Pop) performance and that's all Dano, as I understand.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 11:23:20 AM »

From everything I've read (and it's a lot), there are many scenes with Dano and the other BB cast lip syncing and then occasionally some blended with Dano and actual BB's.  And then there is the Surf's Up (Inside Pop) performance and that's all Dano, as I understand.

I'm really glad they did it that way - 100% lip syncing would just seem odd. I dug up the article where Dano talks about the scenes he sings in:

So that's you playing and singing in those scenes?
Most of them, yeah. I played and sang "God Only Knows" live on the set when we filmed. My second day of filming, I had to perform "Surf's Up" over and over. It remains one of the best days I've ever had a film set. Have you ever tried to play that song, by the way? It's incredibly hard. Thankfully, we only did two minutes of it, and not the whole thing, but it's tough. I simplified a lot of the left hand work on the piano. Brian's left-hand work is pretty complicated.

As for the rest of the actors singing….
Look, you're not going to get five guys that sound like the Beach Boys! We would be the first to tell you that. The harmonizing in the studio scenes are where you start to hear a lot of blending going on. There are a few scenes where you hear me start a line of a song and by the end of the session, you're hearing Brian's vocals. I have to give credit to the sound people, the transitions are really smooth; you can't tell that one half of it is the real thing and one half is me faking it, so I thank those guys a lot [laughs].

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/features/love-and-mercy-paul-dano-on-brian-wilson-20140913

If his Surf's Up performance is unique, good, I really hope it'll be available to purchase. Either way, I can't wait to see this film!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 11:24:24 AM »

I wouldn't mind if there were some mixes during the film like "Forever" and "Let the wind blow" on An American Family.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 11:30:54 AM »

I'm really glad they did it that way - 100% lip syncing would just seem odd. I dug up the article where Dano talks about the scenes he sings in:

So that's you playing and singing in those scenes?
Most of them, yeah. I played and sang "God Only Knows" live on the set when we filmed. My second day of filming, I had to perform "Surf's Up" over and over. It remains one of the best days I've ever had a film set. Have you ever tried to play that song, by the way? It's incredibly hard. Thankfully, we only did two minutes of it, and not the whole thing, but it's tough. I simplified a lot of the left hand work on the piano. Brian's left-hand work is pretty complicated.

As for the rest of the actors singing….
Look, you're not going to get five guys that sound like the Beach Boys! We would be the first to tell you that. The harmonizing in the studio scenes are where you start to hear a lot of blending going on. There are a few scenes where you hear me start a line of a song and by the end of the session, you're hearing Brian's vocals. I have to give credit to the sound people, the transitions are really smooth; you can't tell that one half of it is the real thing and one half is me faking it, so I thank those guys a lot [laughs].

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/features/love-and-mercy-paul-dano-on-brian-wilson-20140913

If his Surf's Up performance is unique, good, I really hope it'll be available to purchase. Either way, I can't wait to see this film!

Good quotes and linkage.  I wish this board had 'like' capabilities.

Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 11:39:07 AM »

Howie,

I just wanted to say that I enjoy your posts and (most often) your perspective on all things BB.  In terms of management, if you had your way who would be a best fit to represent the group as a whole?

I certainly agree that Capitol has done the BB a disservice and treat them as a second tier band unfairly.

I sat two boxes ahead of Jerry Schilling and Pricilla Presley (who was just as drop dead gorgeous close up) at the Hollywood Bowl C 50 show.  They seemed to be enjoying the show.  Perhaps having a person with a previous history with the group (who didn't exit under bad circumstances) might have or might be a good idea.

Regardless, it seems a shame that the world at large doesn't give the BB enough credit as major league players and put them closer the status of Frankie Valli (underrated too, I think) as opposed to The Beatles.  I know the Beach Boys themselves and their inter-squabbles are in large part to blame for this too, though.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 12:12:54 PM »

Who would I pick to manage The Beach Boys/BRI?

Easy. As many of you have heard me say off the board. . .

JERRY SCHILLING and ELLIOT KENDALL.

Schilling to run BRI proper and deal with the catalogue and the band as whole (individual needs / future joint projects) with Kendall keeping the brand up to date, moving forward with new ideas and opportunities, and bringing it squarely into the 21st century with its usage in film, TV, radio, online, and massive cross marketing strategies.

That team would get the job done.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx