gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:48:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love memoir due 2016  (Read 54425 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: December 11, 2014, 10:59:17 AM »

If marketing strategies are being considered, I'd like to pitch this idea, going for a cross-promotional, personal appearance-based campaign encompassing both the social media demographic and the 50th anniversary of the Pet Sounds album. This could be epic:

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 11, 2014, 11:02:47 AM »

If we're lucky, really lucky, maybe M. Night Shyamalan will direct the feature film Love biopic adaptation.
The twist is BW wrote all the BB's music... LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #202 on: December 11, 2014, 11:28:51 AM »

If marketing strategies are being considered, I'd like to pitch this idea, going for a cross-promotional, personal appearance-based campaign encompassing both the social media demographic and the 50th anniversary of the Pet Sounds album. This could be epic:

Grumpy Cat might have a problem taking 2nd billing...
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: December 11, 2014, 11:39:03 AM »

This is true. I saw a line around the block for Grumpy Cat on Fairfax.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: December 11, 2014, 12:15:50 PM »

I think Grumpy Cat's demands could be bought off by guaranteeing a bag of catnip, a ball of yarn, a pillow inside a cardboard box, and a few cans of Albacore tuna at every appearance.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 11, 2014, 12:20:39 PM »

Grin
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 11, 2014, 01:01:55 PM »

I think Grumpy Cat's demands could be bought off by guaranteeing a bag of catnip, a ball of yarn, a pillow inside a cardboard box, and a few cans of Albacore tuna at every appearance.
Makes for a helluva Rider.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 11, 2014, 01:02:43 PM »

I hear they have wives and managers who will work that out on the condition they can be in the same room together. Razz Razz
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 01:04:27 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #208 on: December 11, 2014, 01:42:10 PM »

I just realized that all of the things you listed work for me too...
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 11, 2014, 02:44:23 PM »

Mike Love: "So I said to Grumpy Cat, what you really ought to do is do a book with a bunch of pictures of your face in it. Then while you're at it, crank out some coffee mugs, t-shirts, calendars, etc"
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 11, 2014, 02:44:50 PM »

LOL LOL

Hilarious, Debbie! It's no wonder Brian was so fond of you...

But if Grumpy Cat was granted all of those demands, would that not mean that Grumpy Cat was no longer grumpy??  Smokin
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #211 on: December 11, 2014, 03:46:51 PM »

LOL LOL

Hilarious, Debbie! It's no wonder Brian was so fond of you...

But if Grumpy Cat was granted all of those demands, would that not mean that Grumpy Cat was no longer grumpy??  Smokin

I know Grumpy Debbie would no longer be grumpy - a belly rub and a little champagne works, too...
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 11, 2014, 04:00:14 PM »

Mike: So this oughta be fun, fun, fun - right, everyone?
Grumpy cat: I had fun once. It was horrible.
Mike: Boy, I sense some vibrations there that aren't too good.
Grumpy cat: What if I told you I don't care?
Mike: Say, you're small. Did you drive here in a little due-
Grumpy cat: No.
Mike: Well tack 'em up buddy and shut 'em down, we're off to a bad start here. Let's try and do it again, less cumulous nimbus this time.
Grumpy cat: ...
Mike: Are you even listening to me?
Grumpy cat: I'm listening. I just don't care.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 11, 2014, 04:38:37 PM »

Mike: Well tack 'em up buddy and shut 'em down, we're off to a bad start here. Let's try and do it again, less cumulous nimbus this time.

LOL

Just for once, maybe on April Fool's Day or something, I want Mike to stop with the tired, old pre '66 lyrical references that he is addicted to repeating... and to speak in only SMiLE lyrical references in an interview of some sort.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 11, 2014, 05:10:24 PM »

It will surely be a hit in this forum - to bitch about every damn paragraph in the book you must BUY the book!  Cheesy

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 11, 2014, 09:23:08 PM »

If Mike is wise he'll refrain from going on the attack against the Wilsons in his book. But, based on his recent interviews, I don't hold out much hope for this.

Now, I'm not suggesting that Mike needs to make it sound like it was all sweetness and light in the band. And, I certainly think he has every right to put his version of their story out there.  And, he has every right to be proud of his contributions and take his place in the history of the band.

But, it would really help his case if he learns to watch his tone.

He complains that he's misunderstood, but he has a big problem if he takes the approach he's been using in interviews.  The first problem is that two of the Wilsons are dead and the public doesn't like for people to attack those who aren't around to defend themselves. Especially when they are highly regarded and have a pretty big fan base of their own.  Hammering Carl or Dennis won't win Mike any fans.

The other, bigger, problem has the initials BDW. Brian is the back-from-the- near -dead musical genius that the public enjoys rooting for. Brian is a comeback story and the public loves a comeback story. And, that story will hit the big screen, and public awareness,  before Mike's book ever hits the bookstores.  Mike's lack of tact and finesse toward Brian's struggles is part of the reason he already has the reputation for being a jerk and a bully.  Whether Mike likes it, or not, Brian has engendered a certain level of empathy and support from the public.  That same public is not going to warm to an expanded version of "The Wilsons did drugs and I didn't. Brian's a vegged out druggie. He wrote weird, sad, drugged up "artsy" songs and I'm all about positivity, alliteration (Seriously. Someone teach the man what alliteration is) and the silver lining on the cumulus nimbus. Plus, I met some Beatles."

If he really wants to tell his story in a way that will improve his reputation, he needs to show some sensitivity in the narrative toward his cousins in general, and Brian in particular. A little acknowledgment of the impact of abuse and mental illness and a little less glory grabbing will help improve his reputation.

Strangely enough, two years ago, he pulled the plug on the one thing that was actually improving his goodwill with the public, and I just think it will take a lot to get it back. A book that reads like his interviews will just be rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:26:11 PM by Cyncie » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: December 12, 2014, 01:25:03 AM »

This is true. I saw a line around the block for Grumpy Cat on Fairfax.

What's Fairfax? Don't tell me Grumpy Cat does live appearances?

My mother looks strikingly like Grumpy Cat, and this October I gave her a Grumpy Cat book as a birthday present. It actually made her mellow out a bit... Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: December 12, 2014, 01:29:34 AM »

Or he could take the entirety justified view that whatever he says will be derided, misquoted or just plain ignored, and say WTF he feels like anyway. I doubt that. I feel this book will be a lot more interesting than some here will be comfortable with.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: December 12, 2014, 03:43:05 AM »

Sounds like an awfully paranoid place to memoir from!

Well, at least you'll make sure dates will be correct....

« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 03:46:31 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: December 12, 2014, 11:15:55 AM »

Catching up with some of the news this week, I noticed something that made me curious.

Quote from this article: http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/12/the_good_vibrations_of_being_a.html

"So he's working on his own book, with the help of a cowriter "who knows more about the Beach Boys than I do," and interviews to get other perspectives, Love said. "Truth and reality are good things." "

We know the co-author is James Hirsch, who has written books on Willie Mays and Hurricane Carter, and previously reported for the NYT and WSJ newspapers.

Is James Hirsch "one of us", so to speak, a Beach Boys obsessive fan? Just wondering if he's on the board, or reads the board, or whatever the case. On the surface I don't get the impression he would know more about the Beach Boys than Mike himself, based on his previous book subjects which lean toward sports and sociology topics, but who knows, right?

wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: December 13, 2014, 06:20:24 PM »

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #221 on: December 14, 2014, 03:03:17 AM »

It will surely be a hit in this forum - to bitch about every damn paragraph in the book you must BUY the book!  Cheesy

Hmmm. I think there are plenty of people in this forum that bitch without ever seeing, listening or reading!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: December 14, 2014, 06:21:17 AM »

Hmmm. I think there are plenty of people in this forum that bitch without ever seeing, listening or reading!

They already have !

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 14, 2014, 08:42:26 AM »

That goes with book, video or album release on here. I just ignore it.

I'm really looking forward to this book and need to make sure I have the day off when it's released so I can get through it all.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 14, 2014, 03:54:06 PM »

I am looking forward to the book, but I doubt there's much that is not already known.  I hope Mike Love has the good sense not to go into all the gory details of bad behavior fueled by alcohol and drug abuse.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx