gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 07:51:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love memoir due 2016  (Read 54613 times)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2014, 12:21:37 PM »

Legendary Hall of Fame material. Archival. Readily deserves incredibly more than a  w00t!.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2014, 01:21:42 PM »

CSPAN BOOK-TV written all over it!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2014, 02:57:33 PM »

I personally do think it takes a certain amount of bravery to release something that you know is going to be vilified regardless of its quality by a certain percentage

If he's that brave, he should make his solo albums available for download.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2014, 03:19:56 PM »

That Mike has decided to do this book at all, in the firm knowledge that there isn't a hope in hell of it getting a fair hearing in the media at large (never mind on the BB forums) is probably the most amazing fact concerning this project.

I'd say with the exception of the demise of C50 and the incorrect "firing" headlines (which had more to do with lazy reporting than being out to get Mike; and which could have been avoided to some degree by a better PR staff), Mike has had a pretty easy go of it from the "mainstream media." That is, everyone but a hand full of snarky folks specifically in music industry-related media.

But when he has gone on talk shows and whatnot, he gets lobbed largely softball questions, and nobody ever broaches the subject of why he's using the name without the other surviving BB's (talking about Brian not touring since 1965 doesn't count).

I predict all hell may break loose among hardcore BB fan communities, and there might be a snarky review in Mojo or Rolling Stone or something, but I also predict that Mike will hit the typical media outlets to promote his book and will not be confronted and will instead be allowed to essentially restate the talking points of whatever is in his book. He might hit a few of his friendly outlets like O'Reilly, and he'll do whatever daytime talkshow iterations are going in 2016, etc.

I don't think Mike or a publisher would be worried at all that the media will bash the book. It will go down like most rock "memoirs." I would guess a lot of what we'll see in the coverage and interviews will be the same cliche sound bites from both Mike and the media that we get now:

"Please welcome original Beach Boy Mike Love to "INSERT NAME OF SHOW." He has just released a new memoir titled "Good Vibrations." Thanks for being with us this morning, Mike. What was it like to be singing about surf and sand and hot rods and being the great soundtrack to our lives?"

"The Beach Boys had some turbulent times in the later 60's. In the book you talk about Brian Wilson's struggles with drugs. How did you keep the group together during that time?"

"A lot of fans talk about the genius of Brian Wilson. You were the lyricist on many of our favorite hits. What was your contribution to the band?"

"You resurrected the group's hit-making potential in the late 80's with "Kokomo." Tell us about that."

"You've been touring pretty much non-stop for over 50 years Mike, carrying the torch for the group. What does it mean to you, and how do you do it?"
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 03:21:32 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Nicko1234
« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2014, 04:30:57 PM »

I'd say with the exception of the demise of C50 and the incorrect "firing" headlines (which had more to do with lazy reporting than being out to get Mike; and which could have been avoided to some degree by a better PR staff), Mike has had a pretty easy go of it from the "mainstream media." That is, everyone but a hand full of snarky folks specifically in music industry-related media.

But when he has gone on talk shows and whatnot, he gets lobbed largely softball questions, and nobody ever broaches the subject of why he's using the name without the other surviving BB's (talking about Brian not touring since 1965 doesn't count).

I predict all hell may break loose among hardcore BB fan communities, and there might be a snarky review in Mojo or Rolling Stone or something, but I also predict that Mike will hit the typical media outlets to promote his book and will not be confronted and will instead be allowed to essentially restate the talking points of whatever is in his book. He might hit a few of his friendly outlets like O'Reilly, and he'll do whatever daytime talkshow iterations are going in 2016, etc.

I don't think Mike or a publisher would be worried at all that the media will bash the book. It will go down like most rock "memoirs." I would guess a lot of what we'll see in the coverage and interviews will be the same cliche sound bites from both Mike and the media that we get now:

"Please welcome original Beach Boy Mike Love to "INSERT NAME OF SHOW." He has just released a new memoir titled "Good Vibrations." Thanks for being with us this morning, Mike. What was it like to be singing about surf and sand and hot rods and being the great soundtrack to our lives?"

"The Beach Boys had some turbulent times in the later 60's. In the book you talk about Brian Wilson's struggles with drugs. How did you keep the group together during that time?"

"A lot of fans talk about the genius of Brian Wilson. You were the lyricist on many of our favorite hits. What was your contribution to the band?"

"You resurrected the group's hit-making potential in the late 80's with "Kokomo." Tell us about that."

"You've been touring pretty much non-stop for over 50 years Mike, carrying the torch for the group. What does it mean to you, and how do you do it?"

He`s been asked dozens of times about this surely...
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2014, 04:51:20 PM »

Well, yes, that being his whole point about cliche sound bites.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2014, 09:48:29 PM »

I'd like to hear someone ask…

"So Mike, apart from some flash in the pan Kokomo, the Beach Boys didn't really have a hit new record in all the years between the Brian-produced Rock and Roll Music single in 1976 and the album TWGMTR in 2012.  You musta really missed Cousinn Brian during those 36 years…?"

(Feel free to pick the stats apart but) it would be good to at least have the questions put Mike on the back foot Nd have him think up something other than stock answers to stock questions…

… and I hope he'll address such stuff openly and honestly (as he sees it, least) in the book.

“We live in divisive times.”
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2014, 01:38:43 AM »

Mike is an absolute genius for putting out this book at this time.

It's like he went "oh wait, a massive contingent of fans of my band absolutely hate my guts? Great, I'll write a book and make a bunch of money off them" Smiley))
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: November 23, 2014, 04:56:56 AM »

"So Mike, apart from some flash in the pan Kokomo, the Beach Boys didn't really have a hit new record in all the years between the Brian-produced Rock and Roll Music single in 1976 and the album TWGMTR in 2012.  You musta really missed Cousinn Brian during those 36 years…?"

Just to be nitpicking, I think that "Come go with me" "Wipe out" (he'd surely mention this) and "Getcha back" all were quite succesfull, of course not in the "Kokomo" way. And none of them had very much Brian involvement.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 23, 2014, 08:12:49 AM »

Just to be nitpicking, I think that "Come go with me" "Wipe out" (he'd surely mention this) and "Getcha back" all were quite succesfull, of course not in the "Kokomo" way. And none of them had very much Brian involvement.
I never listen to it, but isn't Brian probably the most prominent BB on "Wipe Out"?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 23, 2014, 08:17:27 AM »

I never listen to it, but isn't Brian probably the most prominent BB on "Wipe Out"?

And there was also two other top 40 hits, "It's OK" and "Good Timin'", both written by Brian.

And arguably "Getcha Back" was a hit in part to Brian's classic vocals on it. So yeah.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 23, 2014, 09:24:04 AM »

I hope the rest of the Boys also write their own memoirs before it is too late because the group's legacy deserves it.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: November 23, 2014, 09:58:18 AM »

I doubt anyone will be buying the book with expectations of getting `the truth`.

I'm not, but I do look forward to read what Mike has to say about his perception of things. I hope there is some self-critical content as well.

No autobiography is going to be `the truth` though because we are all unreliable witnesses in our own lives.

I could not agree more.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 23, 2014, 02:48:49 PM »

Brian is the only Beach Boy on Wipeout.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: November 23, 2014, 03:26:20 PM »

Ha! You're right. I kinda got confused because he was so on-off during that time when it comes to the Beach Boys.

And arguably "Getcha Back" was a hit in part to Brian's classic vocals on it. So yeah.

The falsetto is great. But I don't know if it was that much a reason for the song's success. It's a damn catchy tune that fit right in those nostalgic times. 

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 23, 2014, 06:50:33 PM »

And there was also two other top 40 hits, "It's OK" and "Good Timin'", both written by Brian.

And arguably every single Beach Boys hit was a hit in part due to The Beach Boys classic vocals.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 01, 2014, 02:19:35 PM »

wrong topic
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 03, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »

The book will tank exactly like SIP tanked along with the released solo fodder. The only aspect of the book that may be intriguing is whether or not he'll wear his hat on the cover picture.  Transcendental Meditation

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: December 03, 2014, 08:34:30 AM »

Will the hat say LOVE or THE BEACH BOYS on it? It could go either way.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: December 03, 2014, 09:04:07 AM »

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 03, 2014, 09:24:27 AM »

Will the hat say LOVE or THE BEACH BOYS on it? It could go either way.
Actually, the cover photo, the table of contents, the forward, the text, pictures and index will be forever tattooed on his rarely seen horseshoe spread. Old Man

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 03, 2014, 09:35:15 AM »

LOL "The White Autobiography" in honor of his Beatles connection.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: December 07, 2014, 02:38:54 AM »

The more I learn about this project, the less I feel it's going to be an airbrushed snow job. Going to be an interesting read.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 07, 2014, 03:11:11 AM »

"So Mike, apart from some flash in the pan Kokomo, the Beach Boys didn't really have a hit new record in all the years between the Brian-produced Rock and Roll Music single in 1976 and the album TWGMTR in 2012.  You musta really missed Cousinn Brian during those 36 years…?"

It's OK: co-written by Mike

Good Timin: co-written by Carl

..... for accuracy's sake.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:14:44 AM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 11, 2014, 06:07:59 AM »

Excerpt from a new interview with ML that details some of what he's planning for the new book:

Mike Love's Vibrations -- the stories he's planning to tell in his autobiography:

Now that he's in his 70s, is it easier for Love to look back and tell his story? "I don't know about easier. There were some extraordinary things I lived through, participated in or witnessed. Sociological things, political things."

An era of rapid change started the year he was born 1941, with Pearl Harbor, Love said. He remembers the Korean War, his dad putting together the first TV on their block, and "being told to drop under your desk because, obviously, the Russians were gonna nuke us."

Then dawned The Beach Boys, "and it got even more interesting." Surf instrumentals were popular, but they put words to the music in 1961 with their first 45, "Surfin'." In 1962 they got on Capitol, with "Surfin' Safari" and the flip-side "409" launching a string of hits.

Aside from "Good Vibrations," other songs Love is proud of include "The Warmth of the Sun," 1963. After writing it with Brian and playing it for the first time, they woke up to the news that President Kennedy had been shot, Love remembered. The song was about still loving a girl who'd stopped loving you, he said. "But at least, at one time, you'd felt that feeling, and that feeling was the warmth of the sun."

"'California Girls' is not bad, either," he said. He wrote the lyrics to that, as well as "Help Me Ronda," "I Get Around," "Surfin' Safari" and "Surfin' USA" "On some of those, I wasn't given credit." The Wilson brothers' father and the group's domineering manager, Murry Wilson, controlled the publishing and the credits, Love said. "Brian wanted to rectify it, but he wasn't allowed, he was in a conservatorship." Love eventually established credits through lawsuits. 

Love hung out with Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, Marlin Brando; he had "some spectacular experiences I've never written about," he said.

He learned transcendental meditation from Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in 1967, along with Dennis, Carl and Al. He went to India to learn from the guru. "Who should be there when I got there, but the Beatles" as well as Mia Farrow, Donavan.

In 1967-'68, "I had Maharishi and meditation on one side, and then my cousin Dennis had a roommate named Charlie Manson. I call it the diabolical and divine," Love said, laughing. Manson and the beginnings of his "Family" crashed at Wilson's house, hoping to break into recording with the Beach Boys' help. Eventually Wilson broke ties with Manson because of his threatening vibrations.

Love met Manson? "Oh, yeah. That'll be in my book ... He was more than creepy. Malevolent is a word that comes to mind."

He still meditates, every day and always backstage before each Beach Boys concert, Love said. "I am primarily a person that is positive, and looks for the silver lining even if it is a cumulous nimbus cloud."

Source: http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/12/the_good_vibrations_of_being_a.html
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx