gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 12:55:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love memoir due 2016  (Read 54797 times)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2014, 11:23:48 AM »

With Mike love writing a book, I would have hoped that he would collaborate up with AGD as a historian to help him with it,  since they do know each other...and AGD possibly knows more than he does  LOL

or maybe this is already a truth Wink
can we have any hints?

You're onto something. To begin with, AGD actually likes LBWL, whereas Hirsch wasn't aware of its existence.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2014, 12:04:26 PM »

I know it's nitpicky, but for such a confident guy why does Mike always have to bill himself as "of The Beach Boys"? Mick Jagger doesn't need to. Paul McCartney doesn't either? Nor does Brian Wilson. Kinda reeks of insecurity for such a "legend".
A legend in his mind only.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2014, 12:11:10 PM »

I found some intriguing footage showing Mike Love with Filledeplage, AGD, Pinder Goes to Kokomo and Sheriff John Stone around him.

Ok, it's time to throw out all the other nominees, this is the one and only, never to be duplicated

POST OF THE CENTURY

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 12:13:50 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2014, 01:02:33 PM »

I'm curious to see how he works "love" into the title so it's a play on words. It can't be a Mike project without it! Looking Back  With Love would have been a great title to actually use now, sadly he used it 30 years too soon. Good Vibrations and Assassinations should be a chapter title at least.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2014, 01:18:31 PM »

MIKE LOVE: "We're all crying here because we realized it had been two years since Brian's last truly dynamic production. About two decades later I'd write 'Kokomo' without Brian, which brought the group back to the stature it enjoyed before Brian had permanently stepped back from his leadership position."
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 21, 2014, 01:22:48 PM »

MIKE LOVE: "This was Mick two months after I called him chickenshit. It'd be another year before he'd feel safe from me."
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2014, 01:46:17 PM »

from Chapter 252: The Case Against Alan Jardine (Continued)

Alan Jardine can't let things go. He professes to follow the teachings of the Maharashi Mahesh Yogi, but his true guru seems to be bitterness... and the "Man from Monterey" sure knows how to nurse a decades-long grudge instead of letting the good vibrations flow. Wouldn't it be nice if we could get along? God only knows why he persists in saying terrible things about me in interviews, always painting the Beach Boys as heroes and villains. Guess who he calls the villain! All I want to do is spread positivity all summer long.  It pains me deeply as a bandmember and lifelong friend to say this, but he just can't let things go.

Take for example 1998. Carl Wilson had  passed on after a brave struggle. Zeppo Wilson was moving heaven and earth to keep things afloat, the family really came together and I was an entertaining an offer to play the Super Bowl without Al Jardine. But where others saw reasons to come together, Al Jardine saw an opportunity: in his twisted mind he figured they could continue being the Beach Boys without me! I didn't even know who Peter Cetera was but he thought he and Cousin Brian would somehow make up for the lack of Mike Love. He didn't understand that the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts, and how we each make such wonderful, endless harmony together. So I had no choice but to remove him from the band to preserve the wonderful group we maintain to this day playing shows from coast to coast, country to country, paying tribute every night to the talents of Carl, Dennis, and Brian.

There isn't a tribute to Al Jardine, and it's not just because my band can do a much better "Help Me Rhonda" or an even sweeter "Then I Kissed Her," and it's not even because he warned us not to use his likeness on the video projections -- it's because I still can't believe how he tried to arrange some sort of symphonic "Beach Boys" Pet Sounds tour without me! Without I, Mike Love... who penned the immortal words "good night baby, sleep tight baby." That hook that everybody remembers and helped put our track in every romantic comedy and car commercial we rented it to. How could you possibly perform Pet Sounds without that?

Jardine thinks we are somehow "cheapening the legacy," just like he does when my good friend John Stamos from television's hit series "Full House" would join us on stage to play a hot guitar solo or show us he knows how to play the drums. Alan would make a face, a sour face that was totally against our fun in the sun image... but that's just because he can't let go. Can't move on from the past, can't embrace the future and "do it again." What he did to me in the 90s I will never forget, they say betrayal comes in many forms but it's most upsetting form has got to be a small man with orange hair in a white suit.

Alan Jardine just can't let things go. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2014, 02:46:48 PM »

LOL LOL LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2014, 05:08:41 PM »

I know it's nitpicky, but for such a confident guy why does Mike always have to bill himself as "of The Beach Boys"? Mick Jagger doesn't need to. Paul McCartney doesn't either? Nor does Brian Wilson. Kinda reeks of insecurity for such a "legend".
A legend in his mind only.  Roll Eyes

What's with the nitpicking? The guy is simply not a household name like the other guys you mentioned or has had a lengthy solo career like McCartney, so why shouldn't he include "Of The Beach Boys?" .... And if you really think anyone would be flocking to see Brian or buying his albums if he wasn't "of The Beach Boys" ..... Er...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 05:09:54 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »

Some predictions:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/nov/21/mike-love-what-to-expect-from-his-autobiography
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2014, 05:36:15 PM »

That's a piss-poor piece for The Guardian - expected better than a load of semi-informed smart-arse speculation akin to what some fourth-former halfway through puberty might concoct. Surprised an editor let it through.

Anyone else miss Smile 2001?

“We live in divisive times.”
halblaineisgood
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2014, 05:56:22 PM »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:01:00 PM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2014, 06:26:24 PM »

I'm starting to truly hate music "journalism"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2014, 11:19:36 PM »

Personally, I could care less. It will be the gospel according to Mike and probably full of Maharishi crud. The best are the biographies rather than the autobiographies. That being said, it would be great if Zeppo Wilson would write a book. He is the only one of the bunch that is well centered and without issues or baggage.

Make waves, not love
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2014, 11:32:20 PM »

Aye but the Gospel According to Mike will at least be Mike's Yang to Love & Mercy's Ying. While both might have their shares of perhaps misremembered history, they ought at least to relate history as their nominal authors claim to have experienced it. Somewhere in the middle, with a little help from Stebbins, Doe, Carlin, Dempsey, Reum and a few others, we'll eventually have something approximating a real timeline, accompanied by the main participants' interpretation of that.

Still hoping Bruce will put pen to paper and tell us what he really thinks…
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 01:15:14 AM by John Manning » Logged

Nicko1234
« Reply #115 on: November 22, 2014, 02:05:37 AM »

Personally, I could care less. It will be the gospel according to Mike and probably full of Maharishi crud. The best are the biographies rather than the autobiographies. That being said, it would be great if Zeppo Wilson would write a book. He is the only one of the bunch that is well centered and without issues or baggage.

That depends I guess...

The interesting thing about any autobiography I suppose is to hear one person`s perception (sometimes false) of their own life. I doubt anyone will be buying the book with expectations of getting `the truth`.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2014, 02:14:09 AM »

One thing I will confidently predict: Mike's book won't plagiarise other previous publications, any more than Brian's  upcoming volume will.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2014, 02:31:40 AM »

The interesting thing about any autobiography I suppose is to hear one person`s perception (sometimes false) of their own life. I doubt anyone will be buying the book with expectations of getting `the truth`.

You put that so much better than I did Grin

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2014, 02:32:21 AM »

One thing I will confidently predict: Mike's book won't plagiarise other previous publications, any more than Brian's  upcoming volume will.

Is there a chapter on the Country Love album in this book and/or has it already been covered elsewhere? That album is an intriguing project.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2014, 03:02:11 AM »

One entire chapter dedicated to cutlery, another one dedicated to how he came up with the idea for Rockin' the Man in the Boat.

Also, lots of new details regarding the making of Disco Celebration. Can't wait! Smiley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2014, 05:28:14 AM »

That depends I guess...

I think you at least have a shot at the truth with Mike's book. He's allowed to tell the truth, nobody tells him what to say, and I don't think anybody will demand to have things taken out or added.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2014, 05:54:22 AM »

I know it's nitpicky, but for such a confident guy why does Mike always have to bill himself as "of The Beach Boys"? Mick Jagger doesn't need to. Paul McCartney doesn't either?

I don't think any of them was in the band

Surely the book will get lots of promotion. But unfortunately most of it will probably be like this. Though it's the same stuff that we predict on this board, it's all in fun and not too serious. Yet when written e.g. by the Guardian it's just stupid if they don't happen to have an advance copy.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Nicko1234
« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2014, 06:59:45 AM »

I think you at least have a shot at the truth with Mike's book. He's allowed to tell the truth, nobody tells him what to say, and I don't think anybody will demand to have things taken out or added.

No autobiography is going to be `the truth` though because we are all unreliable witnesses in our own lives.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:19:28 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2014, 07:11:42 AM »

I know it's nitpicky, but for such a confident guy why does Mike always have to bill himself as "of The Beach Boys"? Mick Jagger doesn't need to. Paul McCartney doesn't either?
I don't think any of them was in the band

Okay, let me rephrase. For such a confident "legendary" singer why can't Mike release a new song or a book without having to bill himself as "of The Beach Boys"? Mick Jagger doesn't need to point out that he's "OF THE ROLLING STONES" nor does Paul McCartney need to add an "OF THE BEATLES" to his name.

I also find it kinda sad that he never has the guts to go out publicly without his hat. Or that he always needs to wear a hat with the logo of The Beach Boys. He must be very insecure. It's sad. He's done quite a lot of awesome work. Too bad he doesn't seem to think that he himself is good enough.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2014, 07:40:15 AM »

That depends I guess...

Agreed. That's why I'm looking forward to Brian's book as well. With Brian unhindered by any strings of Landy or the like, and Mike probably wanting to set the record straight on a few things...It'll be great to see things from these guys' perspectives..

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx