gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:49:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love memoir due 2016  (Read 54703 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2014, 04:47:57 PM »

Amazing..

It's going to be ripped to shreds on this board.

But of course. Whether it deserves it or not.  Smiley

I don't think so. There will always be a hand full of people who will bash it regardless. But I think assuming it will be ripped to shreds by the board is doing a disservice to most of the folks here.

I think if the book is truly fair and not overtly, as Mikie mentioned, full of excuses and justifications, it will be welcomed by the scholarly fans here.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not a question of whether the book will be ripped whether it deserves it or not. The question is whether those who do criticize the book will be immediately minimized as "anti-Mike" and characterized as bashing the book due to ulterior motives.

An important question is, "What if the book is actually good and fair?"

But another equally important question is, "What if the book ends up being a self-serving, defensive book, done "An American Family"-style, with the aforementioned justifications?

Considering the data we have to work with as far as media interviews as well as interviews given to authors (e.g. Carlin, etc.), the track record doesn't bode well for any substantial self-criticism and self-assessment.

I also worry that whatever good stuff that might be buried in such a book (not salacious or scandalous stuff, but important pieces of historical information) might be scrubbed away for fear of a plethora of lawsuits.

After what happened with Brian's 90's book with Landy, regardless of the weird circumstances of that one, I'm surprised any publishers would give these guys a deal. I guess they just make sure they have REALLY good libel insurance.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2014, 04:48:58 PM »

Keeping my fingers crossed that one chapter will be a shot-by-shot account of the making of Scrooge's Rock'n'Roll Christmas.  (Just looked up the cast on IMDB and to my surprise found out the movie's female lead is Lee Benton, whom I've been Facebook friends with for years - forget how that happened.)

And, jesting about a foreword aside - once this book comes out the Tweets will fly fast and furious from Van Dyke's keyboard. 140,000 characters probably won't suffice for him, let alone 140.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2014, 04:51:24 PM »

Yes, I think it would be coming out without the Brian movie and book.  Didn't Mike tell a British newspaper a while back that there are a lot of fallacies about me.  I think he has some scores to settle.  I'd like to read about the the time he fasted and had to be brought to the hospital, and what it was like to have a daughter married to your bandmate.

I'm sure all of these guys have pondered the idea of doing a memoir over the years, and have been asked about it numerous times.

Mike may have gotten this thing out regardless of any outside influence. But it's certainly possible that he saw a book and film centering on Brian coming and that those things may have provided extra motivation.

It'll be interesting to see if the book gets a co-credit, as in "by Mike Love, with X", or if he goes the route of ghostwriter.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2014, 04:51:31 PM »

The real question is if the book can be perceived as anything but a measure of damage control and competition, due to its timing. Does anyone really think this book would be written and released at all (let alone in the next year or so) if not for "Love and Mercy" and Brian's upcoming bio?  

This kinda makes me wonder if plans for yet another movie are up Mike's sleeve to go with this book.....
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2014, 04:51:42 PM »

Yes! this is incredible news. please release the albums too, they have been lnguishing in the dark opining for release for too long.
love and love,
SIP Mike.

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2014, 04:56:21 PM »

The real question is if the book can be perceived as anything but a measure of damage control and competition, due to its timing. Does anyone really think this book would be written and released at all (let alone in the next year or so) if not for "Love and Mercy" and Brian's upcoming bio?  

This kinda makes me wonder if plans for yet another movie are up Mike's sleeve to go with this book.....

That I would tend to doubt, at least as far as anything like the Brian film. Even the Brian film is going to get relatively "indie" sort of distribution.

I don't think Mike could get a Mike-themed film funded and distributed.

I suppose Mike could once again get behind someone else's film project, something like "An American Family." Normally I would say any sort of TV movie or miniseries project could never possibly get a greenlight after two previous TV movie bombs on the group, but I suppose I could see a cable network funding another miniseries docudrama on the group. Even in that case, it would be cheap TV movie fare and would not field the type of recognizable names found in the Brian film.

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2014, 04:58:23 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, it's not a question of whether the book will be ripped whether it deserves it or not. The question is whether those who do criticize the book will be immediately minimized as "anti-Mike" and characterized as bashing the book due to ulterior motives.

That wouldn't surprise me. Any criticism of what Brian does lands people in the "anti-Brian" camp so I expect it'll go both ways. All the wild-eyed accusations of "ulterior motives" seem to come from users who have gripes with each other. This "kids in the playground" mentality runs rampant on this board and does any legitimate discussion or critique a major disservice.

Then again, that's practically every message board about anything. Evidently people just can't help themselves.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2014, 04:59:46 PM »

I'm hoping the photoshop gurus on the board here can come up with some good mockups for potential book covers.....
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:00:59 PM by HeyJude » Logged

rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2014, 05:01:14 PM »

That I would tend to doubt, at least as far as anything like the Brian film. Even the Brian film is going to get relatively "indie" sort of distribution.

I suppose Mike could once again get behind someone else's film project, something like "An American Family." Normally I would say any sort of TV movie or miniseries project could never possibly get a greenlight after two previous TV movie bombs on the group, but I suppose I could see a cable network funding another miniseries docudrama on the group. Even in that case, it would be cheap TV movie fare and would not field the type of recognizable names found in the Brian film.

Yep, cable was what I meant, pretty much.  I don't think HBO or Showtime would be up for another BBs film, but if Mike felt like it, he could probably get some smaller channel to do a lower-budget thing with B/C-list actors, the approximate equivalent production-wise of Summer Dreams.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2014, 05:01:24 PM »

It would be incredible if a Mad Men style/quality Beach Boys mini series were to come out. Highly unlikely, but it would be quite a show...

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2014, 05:05:11 PM »

Yep, cable was what I meant, pretty much.  I don't think HBO or Showtime would be up for another BBs film, but if Mike felt like it, he could probably get some smaller channel to do a lower-budget thing with B/C-list actors, the approximate equivalent production-wise of Summer Dreams.

They shouldn't try. "Summer Dreams" can never be topped...

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2014, 05:13:20 PM »

I'm excited for the portion of the book where he finds out about this board and concludes that it's a damn shame.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2014, 05:22:18 PM »

Maybe the book will be like "An American Family" and end at 1974.....

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2014, 05:26:37 PM »

I'm excited for the portion of the book where he finds out about this board and concludes that it's a damn shame.
I hope OSD and I get mentioned Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2014, 05:29:47 PM »

I'm hoping the photoshop gurus on the board here can come up with some good mockups for potential book covers.....

obviously a play on this.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2014, 05:30:03 PM »

Amazing..

It's going to be ripped to shreds on this board.

But of course. Whether it deserves it or not.  Smiley

I don't think so. There will always be a hand full of people who will bash it regardless. But I think assuming it will be ripped to shreds by the board is doing a disservice to most of the folks here.

I think if the book is truly fair and not overtly, as Mikie mentioned, full of excuses and justifications, it will be welcomed by the scholarly fans here.

An important question is, "What if the book is actually good and fair?"

But another equally important question is, "What if the book ends up being a self-serving, defensive book, done "An American Family"-style, with the aforementioned justifications?

Considering the data we have to work with as far as media interviews as well as interviews given to authors (e.g. Carlin, etc.), the track record doesn't bode well for any substantial self-criticism and self-assessment.

I also worry that whatever good stuff that might be buried in such a book (not salacious or scandalous stuff, but important pieces of historical information) might be scrubbed away for fear of a plethora of lawsuits.

After what happened with Brian's 90's book with Landy, regardless of the weird circumstances of that one, I'm surprised any publishers would give these guys a deal. I guess they just make sure they have REALLY good libel insurance.

I sincerely hope that there's a person in Mike's inner circle who can convince him to let down his defensive guard just a bit, owning up to some regrets of personal actions, here and there, throughout his story. Just a bit. Without hiding behind someone else to deflect. You know, the way Brian honestly has expressed regret for some of his own personal actions over the years. Are we going to get more than a couple sentences about Shawn?

Totally not holding my breath, as incredibly defensive people often stay that way until the very end. But I hold out a sliver of hope that Mike (or loved ones who might influence him) might realize that his legacy would benefit in the long run. I want very much for Mike's reputation to be humanized.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:33:32 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Shark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2014, 06:03:08 PM »

I think we are going to get some good stuff out of it but...and I say this as a big fan of Mike's...there will almost certainly be some of the same that we get over and over in interviews: playing up his contributions, while minimizing others.  I truly hope he gives credit where it's due and what I'm most anxious to see is how he talks about Dennis.  Its been over 3 decades since his death and hopefully he can let some of the bad blood go and not rag on the guy too much for his drug use, womanizing, etc. 

Does anyone want to make any predictions if he mentions his own marijuana use in the book? 
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2014, 06:11:24 PM »

I think we are going to get some good stuff out of it but...and I say this as a big fan of Mike's...there will almost certainly be some of the same that we get over and over in interviews: playing up his contributions, while minimizing others.  I truly hope he gives credit where it's due and what I'm most anxious to see is how he talks about Dennis.  Its been over 3 decades since his death and hopefully he can let some of the bad blood go and not rag on the guy too much for his drug use, womanizing, etc. 

Does anyone want to make any predictions if he mentions his own marijuana use in the book? 

You can fully expect him to play up his contributions. I'm sure he'll give credit where it's due while not forgetting to document his song credits, etc. I hope he will be very candid and talk about his relationship with Dennis and other band members, in addition to his use of drugs. I'll skip over the subject of Maharishi, except during the period when he met the Beatles. Everything that he's sidestepped before in interviews should be discussed in the book.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2014, 06:32:47 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:04:01 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2014, 06:59:04 PM »

I'm curious if he will mention Dennis being addicted to drugs and alcohol, or how he came up with the words to Good Vibrations?
It would be interesting to know if he spoke to Paul McCartney in India about any Beatles songs in the works.
Or will he comment  if he should have got credit on the Knebworth CD for piano on Help Me Rhonda? Or how did Brian get invited to the Spanish version of  Kokomo?
Did Landy become a co-writer or producer?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2014, 07:34:37 PM »

This is all i ask, this is all I need.

Perhaps the mod's can forward the 'Weird Mike Love Pictures' thread to the publishers? LOL
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2014, 07:37:49 PM »

Looking forward to the chapter defending his mode of dress on stage. Would be interesting if the pictures included those outfits and hats in his walk in closet. Tip Toe

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2014, 07:39:36 PM »

I hope OSD and I get mentioned Wink
High Five Drinking Buddies

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2014, 09:49:19 PM »

The question is whether those who do criticize the book will be immediately minimized as "anti-Mike" and characterized as bashing the book due to ulterior motives.

That should depend on the way they criticize it. Undoubtedly, there will be things about this book that are to be criticized rightfully, as Mike is a human being. Parts of it will be self-serving and defensive, as any of our autobiographies would be if we wrote them (or had them written). The real question is, how much has Mike mellowed with age to deliver a book with some self-critical content? If there is some self-critical content and some criticizers only focus on the self-serving part, those can deservedly be called anti-Mike.

If the book should turn out all self-serving and not self-critical in any way, I will be anti-Mike's-book. Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2014, 12:08:08 AM »

Photo finish. It was mentioned to me (as a future consideration) June 2013 at Henley: Brian's book was announced a couple of months earlier.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx