gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:24:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Johnston lead vocals post-1998  (Read 2680 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 18, 2014, 10:14:13 PM »

Trying to come up with a definitive list of Bruce Johnston leads in the post-Carl era. Here's what I can come up with, please let me know if you have others that you know of.

Disney Girls
Summer Means Fun
Please Let Me Wonder
Do You Wanna Dance
Wendy
Sloop John B (tandem lead)
Fun fun fun (tag)
Isn't it time (partial)
Still cruisin (partial)
Surfer Girl (bridge)
Kiss me baby (tandem)
God only knows
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 11:08:47 PM »

Bruce did White Christmas solo on the keyboard last year.

Also, Bluebirds Over The Mountains (tag), I Write the Songs, Here Today ("a brand new love affair is such a beautiful thing/but if you're not careful think about the pain it can bring"), & Somewhere Near Japan (back when they did it in '99).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:28:04 PM by wantsomecorn » Logged

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 11:48:05 PM »

Also, Bluebirds Over The Mountains (tag), I Write the Songs, Here Today ("a brand new love affair is such a beautiful thing/but if you're not careful think about the pain it can bring"), & Somewhere Near Japan (back when they did it in '99).
Wow never knew they did Somewhere Near Japan in 99. Do you know who sang Carl and Al's parts?
Nicko1234
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 12:05:09 AM »

Bruce has also sung on Summer in Paradise.

And on Add Some Music I guess.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 12:16:06 AM »

Wow never knew they did Somewhere Near Japan in 99. Do you know who sang Carl and Al's parts?

I remember listening to it on Youtube a year or two ago, but it must've been removed. I thought I might've been wrong about the date, but setlist.fm confirmed my theory. As for who sang lead... sorry, even if I had the video, I can't tell anyone's voices from that era apart.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 12:31:05 AM »

I remember listening to it on Youtube a year or two ago, but it must've been removed. I thought I might've been wrong about the date, but setlist.fm confirmed my theory. As for who sang lead... sorry, even if I had the video, I can't tell anyone's voices from that era apart.
I was trying to search for it on setlist.fm....Do you remember which show? Sorry to bug, stuff like this is intriguing to me!
Nicko1234
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 03:52:25 AM »

I was trying to search for it on setlist.fm....Do you remember which show? Sorry to bug, stuff like this is intriguing to me!

It is listed for July 26th 1999 at Edmonton.

wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 03:53:26 AM »

No problem at all! This stuff is what fascinates me too. July 26th, 1999.

I don't really like the way setlist.fm is set up (you have to click a lot to get to any specific show, while your website has no more than two pages separating each show), but I like their statistics page, which lists how often what songs have been played, and at what shows they've been played at.

setlist.fm is good for stuff like that, but it still doesn't list who was in the band at the time of the shows, or any stories or reviews like your's does.

Edit: And of course I spend ten minutes writing a post only for Nicko snuck in one minute before me.  LOL
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:55:13 AM by wantsomecorn » Logged

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 08:26:22 AM »

No problem at all! This stuff is what fascinates me too. July 26th, 1999.

I don't really like the way setlist.fm is set up (you have to click a lot to get to any specific show, while your website has no more than two pages separating each show), but I like their statistics page, which lists how often what songs have been played, and at what shows they've been played at.

setlist.fm is good for stuff like that, but it still doesn't list who was in the band at the time of the shows, or any stories or reviews like your's does.

Edit: And of course I spend ten minutes writing a post only for Nicko snuck in one minute before me.  LOL
I enjoy their stats too. However, I don't like that many of the setlists are inaccurate and not really checked for accuracy. For example, the Ventura show I went to had an incorrect setlist. Missing songs, wrong sequence on some (not that the archive is immune to this). I really wish I had more time and energy to devote to the archive. Perhaps if it rained heavily for 10 days straight, and my workplace closed for renovations for the same 10 days...that would be the perfect storm, so to speak, for getting the archive updated!

Turns out that it's on the archive too.

http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/7-26-99.html

Though I feel the setlist order does seem pretty unlikely. Still cruisin, somewhere near Japan, and Wendy right before the encore?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 08:32:00 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 12:14:41 PM »

Kokomo (tandem with Mike in places)

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 09:51:23 PM »

an obscure pre 1999 tune would be Hey little cobra if that counts in some way..
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx