gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:20:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's Discuss Bruce Johnston's Surfin' Round the World  (Read 2030 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2014, 12:34:02 PM »

This is some heavy, punky garage rock. It's brimming with fuzzy distortion. And wouldn't you know it, Bruce actually has a wonderful sense of humor on the album. Not only is "Jersey Channel Islands - Part 7" a hilarious name for a song, it's a downright vicious surf groove with wicked horns. 

Where the hell did he come up with the idea for "Hot Pastrami, Mashed Potatoes, Come On To Rincon?" It's downright Ramones-like, with its repetitive "baby do it again" riff.

Bruce could play this stuff live now and front a cult band. In my hometown of Detroit, there's a band called The Amino Acids that packs shows with this exact same kind of music.

The hits keep coming.

"Makaha at Midnight" is wonderfully trippy and a nice slow dance song.

"Surfin's Here to Stay" and "Surfin' Round the World" are more Ramones style songs.

If you haven't heard the album, it's available on Spotify.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 10:06:04 PM »

I've always thought this to be an underrated album. The instrumentals are great, and the songs with vocals are great too. I've always thought that the title track would fit into a Mike & Bruce show pretty well, and would give Bruce a chance to shine with a non-ballad.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 10:07:52 PM »

I love that album, very raw. Bruce_s preBBs output is way better than his 77 solo album, big time!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 10:15:18 PM »

I love that album, very raw. Bruce_s preBBs output is way better than his 77 solo album, big time!
100% agreed, my fellow San Diegan!
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 08:30:06 PM »

I agree with everyone else; I enjoy both this album as well as the Surfer's Pajama Party release quite a bit.

I've been playing with a surf rock review lately, and as a result I'm always looking for new (old) material we can cover. Bruce scored quite a few mentions on this very cool list:

http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs-surf.html

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 09:00:48 PM »

Anybody's pre-BB output is better than what the same anybody did in 1977.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx