gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:46:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nice looking tickets / Stubs ( April 20, 1968 )  (Read 21828 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2014, 02:05:42 PM »

Yeah, I better get another expedit - my vinyl is a little too tightly packed compared to this.

Also, nice looking turntable, a Thorens TD 160 or 166 mk2?

In fact I only recently bought extra cupboard space. Just a few monts ago it was probably fully stacked like yours.  Smiley

Thorens indeed, but tbh, I can't say if it's 160 or 166 (it doesn't say). I'll have to look up the manual to make sure.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2014, 02:09:28 PM »

Bgas, please take note of Klass' organizational skills. A place for everything and everything in its place. And the stereo system right there next to the collection so you don't have to carry the music to another room. Nice shelving with cabinets overhead, everything nice and neat, spotlights placed strategically on the track lighting fixture and not too close to the vinyl to cause potential warpage.....

These pictures should go into "Record Collector's Journal"  or  "Stereo Monthly"  or ESQ. Yeah, ESQ!  All that's missing is the female model to demonstrate the wares.

Klass, very nice.

Thanks for the compliments, Mike... but... by now I'm also curious on your collection, especially the organisational part of it.  Roll Eyes
I mean; I can't be the only one organising it this way...

O, and you haven't seen my desk (which I was smart enough about to leave out of the pictures  Grin )... my wife would definitely not agree on my organisation skills,I can tell you.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2014, 02:12:40 PM »

Might even be a Thorens TD 160 Super, Alan.  Or even the top-o-the-line TD-124. The 160 is one of the besteses belt drive turntables out there. Looks like it might be a 4-speed dual quad positraction mechanism under the platter. Wonder what kind of cartridge and stylus he has......

And what kind of amp/pre-amp/tuner/equalizer/CD player do we have there?

Edit: You beat me to the punch! Yes, Alan and I hafta know what kinda Thorens that is. Looks like a nice one......
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:15:34 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2014, 02:17:47 PM »

Took this photo of Mikie's collection after Guido let me in the house:  \

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2014, 02:24:43 PM »

Klass, I use to have shelves like yours to store my vinyl. The shelves were compressed particle board sprayed black which required extra support in the middle so they wouldn't sag. Now it's all stored away in four solid oak cabinets which also serve as display cabinets. It's very nice but all stored away at the moment, as is most of my collection, pending a move. We really need an extra room to store it and have a small office, and house space is a very valuable commodity in this area.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2014, 03:47:31 PM »

Klaas, an admirable organisation of your expansive collection!

Regarding the singles/EPs, what do you use to store them? Polyethylene outer sleeve? Backing boards? Removal of the disc from the picture/company sleeve and placed in a paper sleeve to prevent further ring wear?

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2014, 04:18:23 PM »

Regarding the singles/EPs, what do you use to store them?

Hopefully your 45/EP/Juke Box picture sleeves don't show any ring wear. In the event they do, to prevent further ring wear, I remove the record from the original picture sleeve and place it in a separate paper sleeve, then place both the picture sleeve and the sleeve containing the record into a clear 2 mil Polyethylene Pam outer sleeve. For records without picture sleeves, I leave the record in the original record company paper sleeve and place it in the Polyethylene sleeve.

I use clear 3 mil Polyethylene sleeves on all my albums.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2014, 06:33:12 PM »

In an ideal world they wouldn't show any ringwear, but occasionally I would receive one, particularly in my early pre-Internet collecting phase where one would have to rely on the seller's description in a set-sale/auction list, sight unseen. Same applies to split seams, which is why I always request that the disc be removed from its picture sleeve prior to shipping. Currently around 3% and 6% of my 45s and EPs respectively have some degree of ringwear, but nothing overly detracting.

Mikie, your storage method for 45s/EPs is very similar to mine.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2014, 08:54:23 PM »

In an ideal world they wouldn't show any ringwear, but occasionally I would receive one, particularly in my early pre-Internet collecting phase where one would have to rely on the seller's description in a set-sale/auction list, sight unseen. Same applies to split seams, which is why I always request that the disc be removed from its picture sleeve prior to shipping. Currently around 3% and 6% of my 45s and EPs respectively have some degree of ringwear, but nothing overly detracting.

Mikie, your storage method for 45s/EPs is very similar to mine.

I know exactly what you mean about the pre-internet days. That's when I procured most of my vinyl records. Other than used record stores and record swap meets, all there was was the big three: Goldmine, Discoveries, and Record Collector magazine and a few private set sale or auction. I was lucky enough to get most of my sleeves in great shape without ring wear or dog-ears or wrinkles; I remember upgrading two or three because of the less than desirable condition. Sometimes the seller's sight-unseen record/sleeve grading was questionable and when you received the item, it wasn't what you expected (i.e. seem split, mark, general wear) but there was nothing you could do about it - maybe just keep it or upgrade it later. These days, you can see a clear color image of the record/sleeve with the capability of zooming in on it to verify the seller's description. That is a BIG advantage of buying collectibles these days on the internet.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2014, 12:29:02 AM »

Mikie, if you make the Stomp Convention next year, I'll see you there: went to the first 34 (1979-2012), missed the last two because, frankly, I didn't want the hassle of being in the same room as certain other fans... but for you, I'll man up.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2014, 03:30:44 AM »

And what kind of amp/pre-amp/tuner/equalizer/CD player do we have there?

Edit: You beat me to the punch! Yes, Alan and I hafta know what kinda Thorens that is. Looks like a nice one......

It's a Thorens TD 166 MKII.
And below there's my Phillips Audiosystem (930 / 931); it also includes a double cassette deck and digital cassette deck.
O, and way below (hardly visible) there's an old 8-track player as well.

Regarding the singles/EPs, what do you use to store them? Polyethylene outer sleeve? Backing boards? Removal of the disc from the picture/company sleeve and placed in a paper sleeve to prevent further ring wear?

I store all of my singles and EP in a plastic sleeve, with the single/EP separatedly stucked in a paper sleeve. Exactly as you described it. And I don't make a difference between picture sleeves and company sleeves. To a lesser degree I do the same with my albums and 12''s (33% I think). As for the plastic sleeves: mostly a standard one, some of them in a polyethylene sleeve (like Mikie does).

Klass, I use to have shelves like yours to store my vinyl. The shelves were compressed particle board sprayed black which required extra support in the middle so they wouldn't sag. Now it's all stored away in four solid oak cabinets which also serve as display cabinets. It's very nice but all stored away at the moment, as is most of my collection, pending a move. We really need an extra room to store it and have a small office, and house space is a very valuable commodity in this area.

I'm fortunate to have a lot of space for extra storage now. I can't add too many additional cupboards in the future though.

What does help to keep it conveniently arranged is that I don't have a very varied collection like bgas does. I don't have a lot of posters, displays, frames, and all kinds of memorabilia, which takes a lot of space if you want to display or even store them properly. So I can imagine that it's not easy to keep that organised.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:37:41 AM by SMiLE Holland » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2014, 06:03:49 AM »

Mikie, if you make the Stomp Convention next year, I'll see you there: went to the first 34 (1979-2012), missed the last two because, frankly, I didn't want the hassle of being in the same room as certain other fans... but for you, I'll man up.  Grin

Guess this means you won't be at the next one, as Mikie wasn't the one inquiring about attending...

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2014, 10:28:40 AM »

Bonus pic...  Grin

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2014, 10:35:18 AM »

Bonus pic...  Grin

Wow!  A Holland wall in the Netherlands...  Is it really a secret door to....

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2014, 12:10:35 PM »

I would love to go to the next Stomp convention, Andrew. I don't think there will be anymore conventions in the States and I doubt there will be more opportunities for another one in the UK. I know I've missed many good times at those Stomp conventions in the past. I can fully understand you not wanting to be in the same room as other fans who are annoying jerks, but I would be honored to be in your presence, sir. To alleviate expenses, if I could find a hay loft to sleep in (or at the residence of one of my ancestors in Ireland) I believe I could swing the air fare to attend this event next year.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2014, 12:44:12 PM »

Wow! A Holland wall in the Netherlands...  Is it really a secret door to....

Shhht, don't tell....

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2014, 01:19:05 PM »

Enviable collection Bgas… gobsmacking!

What are the five (five?) LPs sandwiched between the World Records box sets and the Good Vibes 93 box set? And what's the inscription say in the centre of the Smile sleeve display? And … and … and … so many questions!!!!

Many many thanks for posting.

So hard to get a good photo thru glass, but here's mine: 

as to the other question, none of those are LPs, they're all cassettes. including the Worlds and GV

Many thanks for doing that, appreciated.

That b&w Smile proof is terrific. I'd make you an offer but I know my 5-year-old daughter would want to colour it in soon as she saw it!

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2014, 01:19:11 PM »

BTW, many thanks to everyone who's posted pics of their own collections.

I've shown them to Steph and she's now just about persuaded that my problem isn't as bad as it could be.  She's talking to the consultant and I'm hoping that my committal will be reversed within the next couple of days and I'll be out of here soon, back home among my CDs and vinyl.  The electro-shock stuff wasn't too bad but the injections every morning were starting to make my backside smart.  Couple of blasts of Pet Sounds and the effects should wear off.

“We live in divisive times.”
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2014, 09:44:20 PM »

Get well soon, John.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx