gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:38:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Taping Soundstage Special With Special Guests  (Read 165031 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #625 on: April 23, 2015, 10:40:09 AM »

I can’t add much to what I’ve already said. I can only add that perhaps a problem I see with making “general” comments in this particular case is that it is in response to, at most, four or five people who, over the last few days, made a few negative/critical comments about this PBS show. A few seemed to just have an issue with the mix. A few with Brian’s performance or the stage presence of the band.

It is this small hand full of critical comments that prompted this “general and not specific” response. To me, the frustration with this criticism of the show seemed to refer to that small group of posts from the last few days that contained some (I would argue only mildly) critical comments. To that end, I only suggested that I didn’t see anything particular inflammatory or otherwise objectionable about those criticisms, even though *I 100% disagree with those criticisms*.

Sometimes people troll or jump on the negativity bandwagon, etc. But *nothing* in this thread (at least in the last few pages/weeks) has fallen under this category, in my view. So I didn’t see a need to offer another indictment of unnamed, non-specific negative fans.

I would assume and hope that nobody here intended any such thing, but I can’t be the only person who feels like there is a tone lately that might give some fans/posters the impression (however founded or unfounded they might be) that if they say anything directly critical of Brian, they’re going to catch s**t for it and in some cases have their motivations questioned. I truly offer such observations only to try to help the board. It’s far and away the most awesome BB-related board around, by leaps and bounds. Critically-minded fans are one of many things that separate this board from the fanboy-ish tone of many other boards/forums, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 24, 2015, 06:49:42 AM »

I watched this DVD for the first time last night-- I had avoided all YouTube clips and my PBS didn't air it. I was briefly wondering if I'd even made the wrong decision spending money on this.

I was smiling from ear to ear the entire time. You haters be crazy. This is a great gift from the Golden God of Harmony himself.

Brian's vocals had the usual amount of futzing, as did some of the guest singers on songs they were clearly unfamiliar with, but the harmony stack was very natural-- I could hear every waiver in a voice in the backing vocals, and I thought it sounded great. A very live feel. I thought the instrumentation was well balanced, and there were a lot of surprises, with even some of the older songs receiving an interesting modern update (Don't Worry Baby, which was very, very well sung). Some of the rocking songs, especially Wild Honey, lacked the M&B drive, but that's to be expected from the Brian Wilson Band (I think Blondie and Ricky were chomping at the bit a little, wanting to really cut loose). The band nails it a little too perfectly sometimes, and it loses just a little spontaneous energy with all of that meat on stage. But you can't expect some of these older guys to sing at the pace of the early 70s touring band.

Speaking of which, this DVD encapsulates what I wish the Beach Boys had become, with so many of the players from BB lore assembled in one place. Yeah, I guess Mike and Bruce were sort of missed, but Carl and Dennis were the big holes I felt. Then again, when you've got BW himself right there... Anyway, having both Ricky and Blondie AND BILLY in one spot, playing with Brian and Al and some young guns, gave it a feel and the sound of authenticity. This, to me, feels more like "The Beach Boys" than the 50th DVD-- better vibes.

Loved the presentation of the new songs, Runaway Dancer sounded fantastic, Saturday Night had a lot more energy. All this great new material with some great versions of the classics reinforces that ol' B-Dubs is still going for it and still going hard.

I am so happy I did buy this, and I can't wait to watch it again. Seriously, it's a gift to have these songs without resorting to YouTube. HOLD ON DEAR BROTHER in 2015('14?)!!!!! A gift from Brian. That's how I'm looking at this. Everything sounded great. Haters gotta hate.
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: April 24, 2015, 03:48:30 PM »

Whoa, Brian's voice sounds really weak. Al sound as great as ever though!

Yeah Brian gives it a solid C+ effort.  And is it just me or is that the most benign-sounding guitar on "Dance Dance Dance"?  I thought the guy was playing and electric harp or something!

The tempo was slowed down as compared to the original recording or to Brian and band's previous performances of it. "The guy" (I assume you mean Probyn Gregory) played it superbly -  it was the slower tempo that caught me off guard the 1st time too. After a couple listens so I could adjust to it I found it to be a terrific performance, but I do prefer the faster tempo.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx