gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:36:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Taping Soundstage Special With Special Guests  (Read 165028 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 18, 2014, 06:10:56 AM »

One thing that was said near the end of Billy Hinsche's talk: this is the first of many shows they're going to do at the Venetian, and I think they said they'd be for Soundstage shows. 

That reads like Brian's doing a residency of sorts at The Venetian...

Oh, sorry!  What was said was the first of many shows by many artists to be done at the Venetian. Nothing was said about the other shows being Brian

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 18, 2014, 06:21:41 AM »

do we know when any new shows will be taped?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:27:34 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: December 18, 2014, 06:52:28 AM »

You do realize that Beach Boys Britain buys ads on this page, along with Endless Summer Quarterly. I notice David Beard of ESQ has been made to feel unwelcome here, too, even though he supports Brian and has interviews with him in many issues, including the newest one. And BBB fans seem to be Brian fans for the most part, as well. I'm surprised either of those groups would want to continue buying ads here, modest as though their financial support may be.

I'd like to address this. I'm happy to be proven wrong and will gladly step up and admit it if I am. If I'm wrong, I'll have some questions and concerns of my own to take up.

But to the best of my knowledge no one buys advertising on this site. Anyone who posts or lurks or simply supports the site is able and always welcome to make a donation to help keep the site running and cover associated costs, this is done via the yellow "donate" icon at the top left of the screen. That icon goes direct to a PayPal account which can accept the payments. Those banner "ads" which rotate at the top right of the screen are simply image links to related websites or boards and are not offered for a fee.

But let me state again, there are no ads or advertising space for sale on this board, to the best of my knowledge. How this came to be posted as such on this board, I have no idea, but it is important for several reasons to correct it.

Second, a notion that someone has been made to feel unwelcome here. If this is the case, it would be news to me and news which would be worth following up to get to the reasons why. But as of today, I have not been made aware of someone made to feel unwelcome, and if this is the case, I'd definitely ask that the person(s) get in touch with the admins to pursue it further.

There is a difference between posters getting disgusted with the board at various times and choosing not to participate or to take a break, versus suggesting someone is being intimidated into not participating. The latter is a pretty serious issue which will be addressed. If the latter is the case, it should be addressed to the moderators privately.

Regarding Beach Boys Britain - What another board does or says is entirely their own business and the business of those who post and read there. It has no effect on what happens here, and to suggest there is a financial connection beyond anything else isn't correct. If someone from another board wants to contribute here, or vice versa, that's everyone's prerogative to donate or not to donate.

But suggesting there could be something punitive done to this board in the form of "pulling" advertising or funding...in any way, that's just not the case and couldn't be the case since no one buys advertising here.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 18, 2014, 07:32:06 AM »

BGAS is right regarding future Brian shows at the Venetian!

The person who mentioned it to Billy Hinsche (who was onstage at the time) was the venue manager who gave the impression that he had made a deal with Joe Thomas to do more Soundstage tapings at his venue.  Other artists for different shows.  No additional Brian shows at the Venetian were implied at all.

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #404 on: December 18, 2014, 06:48:26 PM »

You do realize that Beach Boys Britain buys ads on this page, along with Endless Summer Quarterly. I notice David Beard of ESQ has been made to feel unwelcome here, too, even though he supports Brian and has interviews with him in many issues, including the newest one. And BBB fans seem to be Brian fans for the most part, as well. I'm surprised either of those groups would want to continue buying ads here, modest as though their financial support may be.

I'd like to address this. I'm happy to be proven wrong and will gladly step up and admit it if I am. If I'm wrong, I'll have some questions and concerns of my own to take up.

But to the best of my knowledge no one buys advertising on this site. Anyone who posts or lurks or simply supports the site is able and always welcome to make a donation to help keep the site running and cover associated costs, this is done via the yellow "donate" icon at the top left of the screen. That icon goes direct to a PayPal account which can accept the payments. Those banner "ads" which rotate at the top right of the screen are simply image links to related websites or boards and are not offered for a fee.

But let me state again, there are no ads or advertising space for sale on this board, to the best of my knowledge. How this came to be posted as such on this board, I have no idea, but it is important for several reasons to correct it.

Second, a notion that someone has been made to feel unwelcome here. If this is the case, it would be news to me and news which would be worth following up to get to the reasons why. But as of today, I have not been made aware of someone made to feel unwelcome, and if this is the case, I'd definitely ask that the person(s) get in touch with the admins to pursue it further.

There is a difference between posters getting disgusted with the board at various times and choosing not to participate or to take a break, versus suggesting someone is being intimidated into not participating. The latter is a pretty serious issue which will be addressed. If the latter is the case, it should be addressed to the moderators privately.

Regarding Beach Boys Britain - What another board does or says is entirely their own business and the business of those who post and read there. It has no effect on what happens here, and to suggest there is a financial connection beyond anything else isn't correct. If someone from another board wants to contribute here, or vice versa, that's everyone's prerogative to donate or not to donate.

But suggesting there could be something punitive done to this board in the form of "pulling" advertising or funding...in any way, that's just not the case and couldn't be the case since no one buys advertising here.

Thanks so much for sharing this info.  I must admit I was thrown by the idea that people were buying ads on this Board, as this was news to me.  Obviously it wasn't news at all as it appears to be untrue.  I'm afraid, from my point of view, this was one of a litany of odd comments from pretty much a single source attacking Melinda, Brian and anyone else in the line of fire.  I realize that this is common practice on message boards, sadly.  The comments appeared to me to be a blatant attempt to derail this thread that had interesting posts from a number of people plainly excited about a show they had just witnessed.  With that in mind, I chose to ignore the attacking posts.  What the motives were, I don't know, but I hope people choose to ignore such posts in the future and maybe they will just go away so that good threads can continue.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:55:53 PM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: December 18, 2014, 07:24:21 PM »

Thanks a lot for another backhanded credibility attack, Debbie Keil. A name I have to admit I only know from reading the Steven Gaines book and Nick Kent's book as well. Otherwise, I wouldn't know you, either, as you don't know me. I have about as much credibility as you do, though granted, I never knew Brian as well. I have his autograph on a copy of his autobiography and on a copy of Pet Sounds, both obtained at public signings,and that's about it.

Sorry, I did not realize that offering opinions in any thread is verboten, nor anything construed as the slightest criticism of Brian, Melinda, and Joe Thomas. I'm not sure that having Brian doing shows or albums where he minimally sings is that great of a direction for his solo career.Granted,he did give vocals to the other guys in the Beach Boys, but he is a solo act now and has been for the past fifteen years. For this Soundstage show, he (or his show producer) parceled out vocals that he used to do himself in concert, including "God Only Knows,"which was a highlight of seeing him solo, which I have seen him do about  seven times. Brian was doing solo albums where he sang as recently as his last one. He even was hired to as a solo vocalist on albums where he didn't write the songs (Disney, and most of Gershwin). So,I'm not sure what he lacks now that this latest project has so many guest vocalists, but maybe it's what he needs to do. Or needs to do to get more press attention or sales, which even folks like Paul McCartney are getting into.

I do know that he had a hard time getting off stage after "Fun, Fun, Fun," and I'm not sure how anyone who claims to care about Brian could fail to notice that and wonder if he's physically up to touring. Or that at least they should consider making adaptations to his back problem, including possibly not using a riser for his piano. Placing him in a chair with arms so he can lift himself up easier,  and perhaps using a cane or walking stick so he doesn't need someone to help him off. Or if he has to be on a riser, using a ramp instead of a step to help him get down.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: December 18, 2014, 07:57:31 PM »

Nobody ever said it was forbidden to offer opinions pr criticize Brian (for f***'s sake...just the other week some people were saying that this board was anti-Brian, pro-Mike), and it's not, but statements like this
I have about as much credibility as you do, though granted, I never knew Brian as well.
to Debbie of all people are what people generally have an issue with.

I agree that if Brian's back problems are indeed as severe as they seem, then there should be at the very least more comfortable seating...at least something with a back to it. I seriously doubt anybody in the audience would have an issue with that. At the very least, have the mic position up a bit and maybe have the prompter raised a little...I've seen some videos were Brian looks like he has to bend a bit to reach it, and 2 hours of that would be uncomfortable for *anybody*.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 18, 2014, 08:01:39 PM »

Pretty sure that the set list showed Brian sang leads on at least half of the Soundstage show, which doesn't seem minimal to me.

And given that no one has seen a track list for the new record, I'm not sure how anyone can draw the conclusion that he will be minimally featured on it, either.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: December 18, 2014, 08:21:50 PM »

And given that no one has seen a track list for the new record, I'm not sure how anyone can draw the conclusion that he will be minimally featured on it, either.

EXACTLY.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 18, 2014, 08:55:27 PM »

Nobody ever said it was forbidden to offer opinions pr criticize Brian (for f***'s sake...just the other week some people were saying that this board was anti-Brian, pro-Mike), and it's not, but statements like this
I have about as much credibility as you do, though granted, I never knew Brian as well.

I agree that if Brian's back problems are indeed as severe as they seem, then there should be at the very least more comfortable seating...at least something with a back to it. I seriously doubt anybody in the audience would have an issue with that. At the very least, have the mic position up a bit and maybe have the prompter raised a little...I've seen some videos were Brian looks like he has to bend a bit to reach it, and 2 hours of that would be uncomfortable for *anybody*.

Brian had a padded chair with a back to it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: December 18, 2014, 09:00:08 PM »

Okay cool...the two times I saw him, he was just sitting on a piano bench that didn't look comfortable in the least.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 18, 2014, 09:22:40 PM »

So, Al Jardine on Facebook posted a link to YT video from the Venetian show ...

https://www.facebook.com/aljardine
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:56:44 AM by Wirestone » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: December 18, 2014, 10:41:29 PM »

Huh...interesting...

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 19, 2014, 01:39:43 AM »

Al will be getting a visit from 'the suits' very soon.

Actually, for the benefit of that earlier thread, if Brian's people had left those clips up on his message board and the label took action, would that classify as Brian suing himself? Grin
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:44:05 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: December 19, 2014, 06:19:17 AM »

Actually, for the benefit of that earlier thread, if Brian's people had left those clips up on his message board and the label took action, would that classify as Brian suing himself? Grin

Nah. Al *IS* the suit. At least, according to the rave reviews of his white suit lately.....  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 19, 2014, 08:37:26 AM »

Nah. Al *IS* the suit. At least, according to the rave reviews of his white suit lately.....  LOL

Ya, Hey Jude - Al rocks the white suit!  LOL
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #416 on: December 19, 2014, 11:01:51 AM »

Thanks Billy.  As I said, I don't choose to reply to these attacks on pretty much anyone in general, or they will never stop.  The reply was immensely predictable, I must say.  Hope springs eternal, though.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:48:51 AM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 19, 2014, 12:01:15 PM »

There is really no cause for personal attacks on this board.  Debbie knows Brian better than anyone else I can think of. Board members are fortunate to have people like Debbie and Ray Lawlor contributing here. The good news is that it IS POSSIBLE to love Brian AND the Beach Boys.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
halblaineisgood
« Reply #418 on: December 19, 2014, 02:01:42 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:54:39 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 19, 2014, 03:17:57 PM »

I bet there could be some therapeutic value to the strain and stress of having to accommodate to his stage furnishings. Bearing the discomfort of having to struggle a bit for the correct posture on stage might perhaps allow him to spend the rest of his time in comfy chairs  (and/or ergonomically correct and supportive chairs... or whatever...) without becoming totally dependent on them. Complete comfort 24/7 --or whenever possible-- that might only exacerbate his condition.

thus concludes another completely useless opinion on back pain from a random fan .

No, not when the disks of his back have deteriorated with age. Brian is over 70 years old. If you've been around older people, you see that sitting them in the wrong type of chair not only leads to discomfort, but the risk of falls. That footage from that show appeared that Brian is at risk of falls. He's bent over, for one thing. That's why older people with his type of condition are better served with supportive, height-appropriate chairs with arms they can use to help pull themselves up. It's not so much comfort, even, as safety.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: December 19, 2014, 03:44:52 PM »

No, not when the disks of his back have deteriorated with age.

So you know the specifics of Brian's back problems?

I seem to recall reading that it's a congenital defect, which Carl shared.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:56:26 PM by Wirestone » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 19, 2014, 04:03:18 PM »

No, not when the disks of his back have deteriorated with age.

So you know the specifics of Brian's back problems?

I seem to recall reading that it's a congenital defect, which Carl shared.

Anybody over the age of 40 has deteriorated disks. It's a normal part of aging, so it would be on top of whatever else Brian may have wrong with his back. But it points out that as people age, they can't always tough it out and making himself uncomfortable is not going to make him stronger. People age at different rates, of course. Just look at Al and the way he can stand through an entire concert with a heavy guitar around his neck, and he's the same age as Brian. It's more the getting up out of chairs that gets to be a problem more than sitting in them.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: December 19, 2014, 04:50:03 PM »

Man...the quote box is all sorts screwed up. Not sure what's causing it.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 19, 2014, 05:02:22 PM »

Man...the quote box is all sorts screwed up. Not sure what's causing it.

Is this site related to Sony? Grin
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: December 19, 2014, 06:14:18 PM »

LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx