gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:57:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Taping Soundstage Special With Special Guests  (Read 165019 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: December 16, 2014, 02:39:35 PM »

I wonder how they're going to edit the ending of  "Fun, Fun, Fun."  
Why edit it? Brian trashing the stage is certainly part of his new cooler persona Cheesy

It is the last song of the set, the big finish. Since he's the guest of honor, or host, you would think they will have to make some kind of edit to show him there without showing how he actually made his way off stage. It will be interesting to see how it is shown on the final edit. I'm not sure why they didn't figure out a better way for him to get up and out at the end. He must still have a pretty bad back problem, he couldn't get out of the chair without help.

Aww, isn't it cute how concerned you are? You're so concerned! In between all the blasts of venom and passive-aggressive acid. Just like you are for the advertising on this website... pure milk of human kindness stuff. Yeah, clearly his back was bothering him that day. It seemed pretty bad during rehearsals... but he managed. I'm told in the final edit he'll fly to the ceiling suspended by wires and thank his "Cousin Mike" for teaching him what a hook was and letting him help out on his Cousin Mike's masterwork, Good Vibrations.

Dunno if that song will even make it into the special, there are too many new songs and duets that seem like much better choices. What an "embarrassment of riches," as the other fella put it... I'm sure you'll be watching the special with a big smile plastered on your face. Maybe fingers digging into a pillow or white knuckling a bit, but... still... smiles, everyone! Smiles!

Thanks for your input, Mr. Per-twat. I don't give a crap what you think. You're a smug asshole and your YouTube videos on the Beach Boys are copyright violations. F off.

Gee, time for you to meditate. ( or take a board breather) Or both

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 16, 2014, 03:05:29 PM »

Isn't another, similar taping scheduled to get the Deschanel and Musgraves tunes? Maybe they'll use the finale from that night instead (or at least some video footage from it).

I just heard there would be another taping -- but I don't know if that means it will be a big deal in front of an audience. I suspect they'll do a day or two of reshoots in an empty theater, and schedule Kasey and Zooey for that stretch.

Is that the deal, just a taping, but not a show? I didn't (and don't) recall. Anyway, my point would remain: they could certainly use that for footage to replace or cover up the end of Fun Fun Fun if a) Fun Fun Fun is indeed included, and b) they for whatever reason are worried about it.

As to whether to include FFF, that's an interesting question. On one hand, the setlist already proves there is more than enough great stuff to fill whatever length show they intend to air. (60 minutes? 90?) And that's before we get those additional new songs sung by (and possibly other old songs sun by) the other artists from the upcoming taping. It's not like they lack for material. But on the other hand, FFF is certainly among the top half-dozen or so Brian Wilson/Beach Boys songs and makes a great closer. I could see it either way, but maybe it depends on whether they want to give that kind of nod to that kind of fan, or whether to emphasize (in addition to the new material) some of the lesser known or more exotic material in an attempt to push harder toward "anti-greatest hits/anti-classic rock" types? I don't know.

If anyone knows for sure whether the upcoming taping is a live show w/ audience, I'd be curious.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 16, 2014, 03:24:47 PM »

Luther: This was the quote from way back on the thread ... seems like two weeks would be a short amount of time to set up a big new show, especially because according to his site BW doesn't have any appearances scheduled. They could have an invited audience, I suppose, as was used for the BWPS taping.

Overheard mullet department: Zooey/Kacey to be filmed for the special in two weeks.

Still smirky approaching five AM. Thanks to everyone for the hospitality, hilarious banter, and gorgeous music! All hail the evvvvvvil handlers!

On an unrelated note, let's address some earlier concerns. If you look at the following post, it seems pretty clear the person instructing the audience at the show wasn't Joe Thomas -- but was in fact Billy Hinsche.

From Brian's board. SOS included it seems.

Deb#1  

Posted an hour ago · Edited   
Totally exhausted...
What a high energy night!
Billy Hinsche started off, giving the audience some info on the taping, running us through some practice applause, arm waving, and camera phone dos and don'ts. Put them away, except for one taping of cell phones with lit screens waving. Get up and dance if you want to. Show the cameras you are having a good time. After all that, the band came out and the taping started. Billy played with the band as well.
I don't think it was necessary to have the audience practice applauding...as Brian, guests, and band brought the genuine appreciation out.
The Band started with Our Prayer followed by a great Heroes and Villains from Brian. Spot on vocals from Brian throughout the night. At ease, smiling, but I think I sensed a tense tiredness at times.
Al, Matt, and Brian Eichenberger, Blondie and Ricky were all there. Al was front and center, white suit...but turned over center stage to guests for their songs.
Blondie again doing a great Sail on Sailor. Al getting Sloop John B, California Saga, and Rhonda.
The new album songs were great. A great trumpet piece by Mark Isham, called something like "Beautiful Day". He also played a great instrumental version of "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on my Shoulder). There was a song with a similar backing to Sloop John B.
I didn't try to keep track of the set list. I was too much into the moment. In with a sea of fans having a great time. So I'm hoping somebody got one.
There was a lot packaged into the night.
One thing I will say, that new album is going to blow us all away. If anyone thought that having these guest artists on the album would detract, I think we got a pretty good sample tonight. From the music I heard tonight it is still Brian's music. It's still got the magic. The guests only make it more so.
I am awed and humbled by what I saw Brian give us tonight. His gifts are just amazing still.

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: December 16, 2014, 03:27:58 PM »

I was referring to overhearing Joe Thomas discuss the shoot in two weeks, not Billy Hinsche at the opening of the show. All I heard was that they were shooting those two in two weeks. No other details.

Now back to meditating...  
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 03:41:56 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 16, 2014, 03:29:20 PM »

Luther: This was the quote from way back on the thread ... seems like two weeks would be a short amount of time to set up a big new show, especially because according to his site BW doesn't have any appearances scheduled. They could have an invited audience, I suppose, as was used for the BWPS taping.

Overheard mullet department: Zooey/Kacey to be filmed for the special in two weeks.

Ah, thanks. For some reason I was recalling a more formal announcement, but frankly it's not such a big deal to me that I'd pay so much attention, I guess. Anyway, I'd agree, if that's the case it definitely doesn't sound like it would be a typical show with a standard, paying audience. If they're going invitation-only, though, I'm available.

Especially if Ms. Musgraves needs a date.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 16, 2014, 03:31:00 PM »

I wonder how they're going to edit the ending of  "Fun, Fun, Fun."  
Why edit it? Brian trashing the stage is certainly part of his new cooler persona Cheesy

It is the last song of the set, the big finish. Since he's the guest of honor, or host, you would think they will have to make some kind of edit to show him there without showing how he actually made his way off stage. It will be interesting to see how it is shown on the final edit. I'm not sure why they didn't figure out a better way for him to get up and out at the end. He must still have a pretty bad back problem, he couldn't get out of the chair without help.

Aww, isn't it cute how concerned you are? You're so concerned! In between all the blasts of venom and passive-aggressive acid. Just like you are for the advertising on this website... pure milk of human kindness stuff. Yeah, clearly his back was bothering him that day. It seemed pretty bad during rehearsals... but he managed. I'm told in the final edit he'll fly to the ceiling suspended by wires and thank his "Cousin Mike" for teaching him what a hook was and letting him help out on his Cousin Mike's masterwork, Good Vibrations.

Dunno if that song will even make it into the special, there are too many new songs and duets that seem like much better choices. What an "embarrassment of riches," as the other fella put it... I'm sure you'll be watching the special with a big smile plastered on your face. Maybe fingers digging into a pillow or white knuckling a bit, but... still... smiles, everyone! Smiles!

Thanks for your input, Mr. Per-twat. I don't give a crap what you think. You're a smug asshole and your YouTube videos on the Beach Boys are copyright violations. F off.

Gee, time for you to meditate. ( or take a board breather) Or both

So, Mr. Whateverhisname is is cool to attack me, but not for me to defend myself against his very nasty, very personal attacks? Okay.  I don't need to take a board breather or to meditate. Maybe you should. You seem to enjoy attacking other posters yourself.

If anyone wants to know what the old Male Ego Board was like, this board has started to turn into that.

BTW, Fun, Fun, Fun was the big finale. So, yeah, I expect it will be included. And they'll cover for the inelegant exit somehow. Even though Brian is the star of the show, supposedly.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 16, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »

On an unrelated note, let's address some earlier concerns. If you look at the following post, it seems pretty clear the person instructing the audience at the show wasn't Joe Thomas -- but was in fact Billy Hinsche.

Joe was speaking to Billy and telling him what he wanted the audience to do.
Billy was sort of Joe's interpreter.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 16, 2014, 04:00:26 PM »

You can very easily fade FFF out or roll the credits over it like they did WIBN without ever having to capture Brian's awkward moment. That is a super easy fix. There are other more challenging ones. such as editing WIBN to get Brian's "maybe" in there so we can have one of the best recorded lead vocals on that song in many decades.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 16, 2014, 04:11:43 PM »

You can very easily fade FFF out or roll the credits over it like they did WIBN without ever having to capture Brian's awkward moment. That is a super easy fix. There are other more challenging ones. such as editing WIBN to get Brian's "maybe" in there so we can have one of the best recorded lead vocals on that song in many decades.

Guessing that can easily be picked up from one of the rehearsals.  whichstarted Tuesday, tho I'm not certain when they started recording,

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: December 16, 2014, 04:39:41 PM »

I think it's just as likely that they'll film other "insert segments" for any additional guests (Zooey, etc.) that could be staged totally differently, and/or a "live in studio" bit. I would tend to doubt they'll re-create the stage setting from the live show at a later date and try to pass it off as if it all happened on the same stage on the same night.

For all we know, the PBS special may be presented sort of like the old 1998 "Imagination" special with studio footage and interviews and whatnot intercut with live footage. Not my preference (separate "uncut live show" and "making of the album" bits would be preferable), but it could happen.

"Soundstage" typically is simply a live show presentation, but they could make an exception, or air this under a name other than "Soundstage." Thomas' main PBS deal is "Soundstage", but the 2012 C50 thing was presented as "In the Spotlight" or something like that.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 16, 2014, 06:37:06 PM »

When Brian tours next year with this album, do you think band members might take over singing leads on the new songs that feature Nate Ruess and Sebu on the album version? I'd like to see that.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 16, 2014, 06:45:59 PM »

When Brian tours next year with this album, do you think band members might take over singing leads on the new songs that feature Nate Ruess and Sebu on the album version? I'd like to see that.

They could. Though we also don't know how many of those songs they would do on a tour of the new album. There have been a lot of "whole album" tours from BW, but he might also just go the more traditional route and throw in a few new songs here and there. So some of those guest-sung songs may never be introduced to a regular setlist.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 16, 2014, 09:16:09 PM »

I think it's just as likely that they'll film other "insert segments" for any additional guests (Zooey, etc.) that could be staged totally differently, and/or a "live in studio" bit. I would tend to doubt they'll re-create the stage setting from the live show at a later date and try to pass it off as if it all happened on the same stage on the same night.

For all we know, the PBS special may be presented sort of like the old 1998 "Imagination" special with studio footage and interviews and whatnot intercut with live footage. Not my preference (separate "uncut live show" and "making of the album" bits would be preferable), but it could happen.

"Soundstage" typically is simply a live show presentation, but they could make an exception, or air this under a name other than "Soundstage." Thomas' main PBS deal is "Soundstage", but the 2012 C50 thing was presented as "In the Spotlight" or something like that.

One thing that was said near the end of Billy Hinsche's talk: this is the first of many shows they're going to do at the Venetian, and I think they said they'd be for Soundstage shows.  Can't remember who it was, but he got up and talked to Billy from the seats on the side of the theatre which had the large boom camera, which is how the announcement developed.

In any case, seems likely to me this will be an all live show also, with the Zooey and others segments added on a similar set. Perhaaps even the same stage. After all, other than those of us that were there( and those that read this board)  the PBS audience won't know exactly which songs were done when/where, unless it's stated as such on the air.

ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 16, 2014, 10:49:23 PM »

Way more classy and tasty than club Kokomo's bud lights.

I've got an inside scoop that for the 2015 M&B tour, the beverage selection will be, shall we say, enhanced. Bud Light Straw-ber-ritas and Lime-a-ritas will be made available for purchase ($18 a pop), as they fit in nicely with the "tropical" theme of Club Kokomo. Of course, regular Bud Light will still be available for all the beer connoisseurs out there who insist upon only drinking the finest.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: December 17, 2014, 01:34:37 AM »

So, Mr. Whateverhisname is is cool to attack me, but not for me to defend myself against his very nasty, very personal attacks?

I found his attacks on you childish and unnecessarily belligerent, but the words you threw back at him are IMHO unacceptable. You had better just report his attacks to the moderators. I don't know whether they would have stepped in, but it would have been a better way than to use swear words. IMHO.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: December 17, 2014, 03:54:19 AM »

I'm totally hooked on Saturday Night on Hollywood Blvd. It's a really great song, better than most of TWGMTR. Would be great to know more info about the song, who wrote what and when. But I guess we have to wait.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 17, 2014, 04:09:53 AM »

I really really like "Runaway Dancer" the most so far

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 17, 2014, 04:11:18 AM »

I'm totally hooked on Saturday Night on Hollywood Blvd. It's a really great song, better than most of TWGMTR. Would be great to know more info about the song, who wrote what and when. But I guess we have to wait.

The melody is stuck in my head too. Smiley I am sure the studio version will rock.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: December 17, 2014, 06:31:04 AM »

So, Mr. Whateverhisname is is cool to attack me, but not for me to defend myself against his very nasty, very personal attacks?

I found his attacks on you childish and unnecessarily belligerent, but the words you threw back at him are IMHO unacceptable. You had better just report his attacks to the moderators. I don't know whether they would have stepped in, but it would have been a better way than to use swear words. IMHO.
I thought i had postef ths before but for some reason it didn't take.

In any case...both of you (not you Micha) need to take it to PMs and leave it off the boatd.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: December 17, 2014, 11:05:07 AM »

Just found this on Blondie's facebook page:

Photo from rehearsals Dec. 12 at the Venetian for PBS Soundstage. Photo courtesy Mary Ann Jardine.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 17, 2014, 12:16:44 PM »

I thought i had postef ths before but for some reason it didn't take.

In any case...both of you (not you Micha) need to take it to PMs and leave it off the boatd.

w00t!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: December 17, 2014, 12:40:49 PM »

Damn i hate typing on this phone. .so many errors lol

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 18, 2014, 12:41:04 AM »

Wow, this thread sure turned into a crapshoot since my last post a couple days ago.

A thread about the most interesting show Brian has done since the BWPS shows a decade ago pretty much just turned into petty bickering and cat fights about stuff that doesn't even matter.

Kudos, forum members, you do a great job of making interesting and well-connected people want to stick around and continue posting on this forum.

No mas, por favor.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: December 18, 2014, 12:45:27 AM »

One thing that was said near the end of Billy Hinsche's talk: this is the first of many shows they're going to do at the Venetian, and I think they said they'd be for Soundstage shows. 

That reads like Brian's doing a residency of sorts at The Venetian...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 18, 2014, 12:57:30 AM »

One thing that was said near the end of Billy Hinsche's talk: this is the first of many shows they're going to do at the Venetian, and I think they said they'd be for Soundstage shows. 

That reads like Brian's doing a residency of sorts at The Venetian...

That would be some sh!t. Some good sh!t. And if Axl Rose and his band of buffoons can do it, I'd say Brian Wilson is more than up for it.

He would get all the steaks and cakes he wanted without having to leave his high rise suite.

And since you didn't flat out deny it...... WHAT DO YOU KNOW THAT WE DON'T?!

No mas, por favor.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx