gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:31:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Taping Soundstage Special With Special Guests  (Read 166090 times)
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 15, 2014, 11:03:02 PM »

Nice that this board has turned into Blueboard cubed. There's more leeway in opinion on Brian's board than on this one as it is now. Not to mention the fact that every thread turns into personal attacks. I have my opinion and it's as valid as the Brian fanboys. I have seen several Brian shows, and used to enjoy him but it got tiresome after awhile and I came to realize I was more a fan of Brian's band that him as a performer, most of the time,though he was really into it for the Pet Sounds shows. Now that Brian barely performs in them, and is said to be missing cues and not performing as well as he used to, and now turning over large numbers of lead vocals to guest stars, I'm not sure what the point is, for me. I traveled to see Brian a couple of times a few hundred miles out of my way. That was years ago.Now,I'm turned off by segments of his fan base.It's like Apple discussions on tech boards.  You're either for Apple or you're against it. And we can't have that!

Kittykat, I hope you realize your talking points are weak at best. You say every opinion is equally valid - that is not the case since every statement is not automatically a correct statement.

Kittykat - Brian does not do all the leads.
Reality - Brian has NEVER done all the leads. Listen to any Beach Boys album and you will find that Brian wrote most of the songs, but that they often feature Mike or Carl as lead singers. Sometimes even Dennis and Al. Brian does not want to do all the leads, he wants others to sing his songs. During Brian's solo years he has done more leads than during his Beach Boys years (percent-wise).

Right now he is doing some of the leads in concert, when he stopped touring in the 60's he sang NONE of the leads in concert.

Kittykat - Nate Ruess is Carl because he can handle Carl leads.
Reality - Nate is NOT Carl, but he can handle Carl leads. Attacking Brian for having a competent guest singing 4 of the songs is pretty baffling. I would understand your criticism should Brian have invited someone who sucked at singing. Someone who would ruin his songs. Nate was there to sing and to give the audience thrills, not to adjust the mic.

Kittykat - Brian used cheesy girl pictures during CG.
Reality - Joe Thomas used those pictures, the same ones were used during C50. JT is the producer, not Brian.

Kittykat - Joe Thomas has a smart phone fetish.
Reality - Joe Thomas wants the released product to sound and look as good as possible. We all hope he manages to capture the spirit of the concert, because based on accounts of people who were there it was one great concert!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:09:23 PM by The Legendary OMG! Rob! » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: December 15, 2014, 11:14:37 PM »

Sigh! Sad

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 15, 2014, 11:57:40 PM »

Kittykat - Nate Ruess is Carl because he can handle Carl leads.
Reality - Nate is NOT Carl, but he can handle Carl leads. Attacking Brian for having a competent guest singing 4 of the songs is pretty baffling.

...Two of which aren't even Carl leads.

Even more baffling.

This whole complaint seems to come down to a guest singer doing two songs of Carl's, one of which has been given to one supporting singer or another for years.

Wibble,
Jon Blum
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: December 16, 2014, 12:25:31 AM »

"Wibble"? Can't find that in the dictionary thus I don't know what it means.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 16, 2014, 12:32:54 AM »

I would hope that the whole YT issue is a one-time thing since it concerns a television product prior to broadcast. Hopefully that makes it a special case - with regard to this board. But when the band (in whatever manifestation) takes the show and album on the road, then it's game on with live show YT links. That's been the case throughout C50 and the shorty tour when Al and Dave set sail with Brian.

If that's no longer the case, then that would be sad (and typical of a dinosaur recording industry). Powers that be...whatevah.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 16, 2014, 12:43:15 AM »

...Two of which aren't even Carl leads.

Even more baffling.

This whole complaint seems to come down to a guest singer doing two songs of Carl's, one of which has been given to one supporting singer or another for years.

Wibble,
Jon Blum

You are absolutely right, Jon.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: December 16, 2014, 03:03:20 AM »

Reality - Joe Thomas wants the released product to sound and look as good as possible. We all hope he manages to capture the spirit of the concert, because based on accounts of people who were there it was one great concert!

The evidence of recent releases casts serious doubt on the "sound as good as possible" part of your statement.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 16, 2014, 04:20:01 AM »

The evidence of recent releases casts serious doubt on the "sound as good as possible" part of your statement.

I agree.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 16, 2014, 05:24:07 AM »

This is the best ever. That setlist is the best ever. Hopefully it will be heard in its entirety by us all in not too long!

I'm really excited about the new album. Hollywood Boulevard was a great tune imo. If the remainder of the album holds up to that quality we are really in for a treat. All the titles on that setlist read more promising than most of the TWGMTR tracks.

Before today I always passed Hold On, Dear Brother, but now I realise that it's a great track. I love when I discover songs I didn't give a chance before.

I know it's impossible to recreate this type of show, but it sounds like his show is better when he deals out leads to others. After all, as has been said before, Brian never did all the leads and I still don't think it comes natural to him. GOK was sung by a guy I never heard of, but it was really good and I know that Brian was sitting right next taking part and doing the harmonies and the tag vocal. That legitimises the lead performance. Brian just has to be present for the concert to be HIM.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #359 on: December 16, 2014, 06:30:41 AM »

Well, this thread itself has turned surreal without any filmmaking involved, I must say.  Does anyone have anything more to say about the Soundstage Special perhaps who actually saw it?

Didn't see it Debbie but a couple of thoughts. About 10 years ago, maybe longer, I made a couple of comments about Brian, and his band. The first was Brian should write songs for some other, perhaps younger singers. The ones who often cite him as an influence.

The second. Should Brian not be up to touring, maybe Al Jardine, having the best voice, could use the skills of Brians band. This remember was years prior to Al hooking up again with Brian.

Both these suggestions, especially Al using Brians group, were howled down. I've listened to the singer on the new song with more artists to come. Al has become a staple of a great Brian Wilson show.

I haven't hit 100% but I'm sitting here today with with a smug self satisfied look that AGD would be proud of.

I'm not surprised that your thoughts were howled down...sorta par for the course on a message board...EVERYBODY knows best...and it is fun to be right.

Loved the quote in the review (link posted previously in thread above and on Brian's FB page)..."The initial announcement that he would be working with modern acts was met with mixed reaction online, but the guy who was willing to give up lead vocals on a perfect track like “God Only Knows” 50 years ago should probably be trusted to know who is best to sing his songs..."

Yeah, when it comes down to Brian's ear and my speculation about what he's doing, I find it best to go with Brian's ear...D'ya think?!  Great that you had the same thoughts as him...

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:41:46 AM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: December 16, 2014, 06:46:14 AM »

I wonder how they're going to edit the ending of  "Fun, Fun, Fun." 
Why edit it? Brian trashing the stage is certainly part of his new cooler persona Cheesy
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 16, 2014, 07:14:45 AM »

And no one believes everything in The Boston Globe, who have been owned by the NY Times, and now the Boston Red Sox.  Their opinions are largely driven by their owners.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Your ignorance about music is only exceeded by your cluelessness when it comes to journalism. Perhaps you'd be best refraining from commenting on either in the future.

Actually, you have no idea what you're talking about.  Those of us who have spent any decent amount of time reading the Boston Globe know that it has a strong tendency toward pandering bullshit.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 07:18:05 AM by The Legendary J-O-B » Logged
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 16, 2014, 07:17:12 AM »

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 07:18:32 AM by The Legendary J-O-B » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: December 16, 2014, 08:16:32 AM »

The sound on his video productions seems to be okay usually (even the C50 BDs sound better than the live CD). I also own several episodes of his "Soundstage" on DVD and Blu-ray (and have seen a number of others on TV) and they sound great.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: December 16, 2014, 10:05:00 AM »

I wonder if Burt Bacharach will get a mention for inspiring "Saturday night on Hollywood Blvd."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kafVkPxjLYg

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 16, 2014, 11:22:01 AM »

IIRC, Brian has said that "Love and Mercy" came from him fiddling around with another Bacharach tune, so he's nothing if not consistent!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 16, 2014, 11:29:47 AM »

I wonder how they're going to edit the ending of  "Fun, Fun, Fun." 
Why edit it? Brian trashing the stage is certainly part of his new cooler persona Cheesy

It is the last song of the set, the big finish. Since he's the guest of honor, or host, you would think they will have to make some kind of edit to show him there without showing how he actually made his way off stage. It will be interesting to see how it is shown on the final edit. I'm not sure why they didn't figure out a better way for him to get up and out at the end. He must still have a pretty bad back problem, he couldn't get out of the chair without help.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 16, 2014, 11:36:47 AM »

Isn't another, similar taping scheduled to get the Deschanel and Musgraves tunes? Maybe they'll use the finale from that night instead (or at least some video footage from it).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 16, 2014, 11:50:32 AM »

Isn't another, similar taping scheduled to get the Deschanel and Musgraves tunes? Maybe they'll use the finale from that night instead (or at least some video footage from it).

I just heard there would be another taping -- but I don't know if that means it will be a big deal in front of an audience. I suspect they'll do a day or two of reshoots in an empty theater, and schedule Kasey and Zooey for that stretch.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: December 16, 2014, 12:02:49 PM »

I wonder how they're going to edit the ending of  "Fun, Fun, Fun."  

It is the last song of the set, the big finish. Since he's the guest of honor, or host, you would think they will have to make some kind of edit to show him there without showing how he actually made his way off stage. It will be interesting to see how it is shown on the final edit. I'm not sure why they didn't figure out a better way for him to get up and out at the end. He must still have a pretty bad back problem, he couldn't get out of the chair without help.

Aww, isn't it cute how concerned you are? You're so concerned! In between all the blasts of venom and passive-aggressive acid. Just like you are for the advertising on this website... pure milk of human kindness stuff. Yeah, clearly his back was bothering him that day. It seemed pretty bad during rehearsals... but he managed. I'm told in the final edit he'll fly to the ceiling suspended by wires and thank his "Cousin Mike" for teaching him what a hook was and letting him help out on his Cousin Mike's masterwork, Good Vibrations.

Dunno if that song will even make it into the special, there are too many new songs and duets that seem like much better choices. What an "embarrassment of riches," as the other fella put it... I'm sure you'll be watching the special with a big smile plastered on your face. Maybe fingers digging into a pillow or white knuckling a bit, but... still... smiles, everyone! Smiles!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:17:45 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 16, 2014, 01:06:06 PM »

Ontor, you are wrong. The concert will end with everyone in Brian's band shouting/singing "Jamaica!!!".

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: December 16, 2014, 01:11:15 PM »

Works for me!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 16, 2014, 01:21:45 PM »

I wonder how they're going to edit the ending of  "Fun, Fun, Fun."  

Aww, isn't it cute how concerned you are? You're so concerned! In between all the blasts of venom and passive-aggressive acid. Just like you are for the advertising on this website... pure milk of human kindness stuff. Yeah, clearly his back was bothering him that day. It seemed pretty bad during rehearsals... but he managed. I'm told in the final edit he'll fly to the ceiling suspended by wires and thank his "Cousin Mike" for teaching him what a hook was and letting him help out on his Cousin Mike's masterwork, Good Vibrations.

Dunno if that song will even make it into the special, there are too many new songs and duets that seem like much better choices. What an "embarrassment of riches," as the other fella put it... I'm sure you'll be watching the special with a big smile plastered on your face. Maybe fingers digging into a pillow or white knuckling a bit, but... still... smiles, everyone! Smiles!

Thanks for your input, Mr. Per-twat. I don't give a crap what you think. You're a smug asshole and your YouTube videos on the Beach Boys are copyright violations. F off.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 16, 2014, 01:23:11 PM »

What a lovely personality... Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: December 16, 2014, 01:24:30 PM »

Thanks for your input, Mr. Per-twat. I don't give a crap what you think. You're a smug asshole and your YouTube videos on the Beach Boys are copyright violations. F off.

Aw, I'm soooo stung. Fair use & satire issues aside, I don't monetize anything and make nothing off of silly YouTube videos, those are just for fun. In fact anything identified with a Beach Boys track is noted by YouTube and serves ads that pay the right people. I don't see a dime. And who are you to be sooo interested in copyrights over stuff that makes no money for anyone but the people that own the music? Boy, what a weird putdown to make to someone if they weren't benefiting themselves financially.

Let's just go back to the Vegas special, ok? I feel like one of you is going to start attacking old term papers next. "You pronounce HORROR as HORRA!" "What's that got to do with Brian's show?" "Your NYU student films sucked!" "They were made out of films I found in the trash! It was just a joke! By the way, didn't Al sing great?"

And now for something completely the same... Soundstage Special. Now WITHOUT the great taste of insinuating threats and personal insults!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:20:44 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx