gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 10:14:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Taping Soundstage Special With Special Guests  (Read 166093 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 15, 2014, 05:04:33 PM »

Thanks a bunch for the touching art criticism! It means a lot coming from such a staunch champion of "Pisces Brothers."

You'll be surprised to discover that I was mainly inspired by the social critique in "Student Demonstration Time" and it gave me the courage I needed.  The Boston Globe agreed with you at first the other day, saying I started with "sometimes uninspired literalness" but soon ended up with a pleasing "repeated, retro images eventually coalesce into a tawdry, otherworldly miasma" and " images become less literal and more visionary, intensifying into hallucinatory, stroboscopic collages." So whew!

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/movies/2014/12/11/movie-review-nova-express-never-gets-old/aONr6237hlE0O3VKtPaGwN/story.html?p1=Article_InThisSection_Bottom

But what the hell does that guy know about Pisces Brothers, am I right?

So... Vegas show, guys? Any more reviews up or are we really gonna start slicing and dicing my collected works? In which case I always thought "I Was a Teenage Beatnik!" needed more love.
Strange that there is a huge analogy as between the "I Can't Breathe" marches/demonstrations, today, and those "Vietnam War" protests in the late 60's and early 70's.  

And no one believes everything in The Boston Globe, who have been owned by the NY Times, and now the Boston Red Sox.  Their opinions are largely driven by their owners.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: December 15, 2014, 05:05:59 PM »

Here we are in the year 2014, with Brian still making music at the age of 72, performing with Al, Blondie, and Ricky, putting out new music that could be pretty amazing.  I remember, back in the late 1970's, frequently wondering if Brian would live another year or two, and since then, look at all that he has given the world.  This man is one of the greatest musical figures of the last 100 years, and we are lucky enough to have him still with us today.  I think we should all keep things in perspective.  

Pretty much this again. Thirded. Underlined. Bolded. Italicized.

It's pretty goofy to try to turn this thread into attacking MY art n' questionable hobbies, dear filledeplage --  as I'm not remotely interested in yours. No doubt there would be witty wisecracks to be made aplenty at your work, and I could do a decent attempt to reduce you to filetdeplage, but let's stick to BW, shall we? The big guy had a good night. Cheers.

Altho I must admit, I'm glad the Boston Red Sox have mixed but basically positive views of my work. Play ball!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 05:39:05 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 15, 2014, 05:06:53 PM »

Saturday Night on Hollywood Blvd. has been stuck in my head since Friday night.  Very catchy hook.
Really is fantastic isn't it?
 If it's any indication album will be Fantastic!

Yes! Was out for drinks with work mates tonight and I had the song stuck in my head all through the night.

I am very excited for the NPP album.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: December 15, 2014, 05:08:38 PM »

We are in for such a treat with the new album, it should make for a lot of good chatter. Someone may also go on a Runaway Dancer vendetta... and then there's the question of all the outtakes and where they went! The alternate  versions. The Ones That Got Away From Al! I want him to mention Run, James, Run in every interview from now until they release it.

Also... question. Who were the string players at the show on PCH and Summer's Gone? Tasty cello.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 05:13:08 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 15, 2014, 05:13:08 PM »

Saturday Night on Hollywood Blvd. has been stuck in my head since Friday night.  Very catchy hook.

Yes! Was out for drinks with work mates tonight and I had the song stuck in my head all through the night.

The chorus melody has been stuck in my head for days. Can't wait to hear the studio version!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 15, 2014, 05:14:06 PM »

Here we are in the year 2014, with Brian still making music at the age of 72, performing with Al, Blondie, and Ricky, putting out new music that could be pretty amazing.  I remember, back in the late 1970's, frequently wondering if Brian would live another year or two, and since then, look at all that he has given the world.  This man is one of the greatest musical figures of the last 100 years, and we are lucky enough to have him still with us today.  I think we should all keep things in perspective.  

This, this and this again.

Be thankful, as Brian Wilson fans and as Beach Boys fans we are in for a wonderful 2015, let's enjoy it.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 15, 2014, 05:14:44 PM »

Yeah, I can't wait for the album! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 15, 2014, 05:15:45 PM »

The chorus melody has been stuck in my head for days. Can't wait to hear the studio version!

It should be a brilliant song. I just hope it doesn't get touched up too much, it has a great live sound and I hope that comes through on the studio version.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 15, 2014, 05:46:33 PM »

And no one believes everything in The Boston Globe, who have been owned by the NY Times, and now the Boston Red Sox.  Their opinions are largely driven by their owners.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Your ignorance about music is only exceeded by your cluelessness when it comes to journalism. Perhaps you'd be best refraining from commenting on either in the future.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 05:48:58 PM by Wirestone » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 15, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Your ignorance about music is only exceeded by your cluelessness when it comes to journalism. Perhaps you'd be best refraining from commenting on either in the future.
Wirestone - I've read the Globe daily, for many decades, and so my opinion is very well-informed.  I did not say not to believe "anything" but "everything." Some is credible and some is not. And it is a fact that it is owned by a sports team, and formerly owned by the NY Times, which was not that kind in its' review of The SMiLE Live project, as I recall.  It has not always been kind to The Beach Boys in general.

And since we live in these United States, we are protected by the First Amendment.  This is a fan-based forum and where you may not agree with my point of view, your ability to restrain the commentary is quite limited, so long as I follow the rules of this forum, as well as everyone else.

As far as my "ignorance about music" well, that is your opinion, and you're entitled to it.  It does seem that any poster who, supports "all" the members of this band, and is not factionalized and hating one particular member, for no "personal" reason becomes problematic. But, not my problem.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 06:18:14 PM by filledeplage » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 15, 2014, 06:36:50 PM »

These type of attacks need to be stopped on this forum, they're happening way too much lately.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: December 15, 2014, 06:41:59 PM »

Still, at least the fine tradition of citing the first amendment on an internet message board is being kept alive!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 15, 2014, 06:49:51 PM »

What did you have, Lemonade, Fruit Punch, Shirley Temples, Smoothies, or Cool-Aid over the rocks?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 15, 2014, 06:51:48 PM »

What did you have, Lemonade, Fruit Punch, Shirley Temples, Smoothies, or Cool-Aid over the rocks?

About 8 pints of Guinness

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 15, 2014, 06:52:16 PM »

Still, at least the fine tradition of citing the first amendment on an internet message board is being kept alive!
Well, ontor, wasn't there a link to a review in a print media publication from The Boston Globe?

It is lovely that your one of your works, which I'm not familiar with, got print recognition. Not a problem, but that isn't BB/ BW related. Maybe it could be in another part of the forum not in this section.

That wasn't the clip that I watched which was BB/BW related and what I commented on.

Isn't the press and free speech all about the First Amendment?  

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 15, 2014, 06:53:55 PM »

They are still on Brian's own message board.....Go figure? Huh

Gone now. All a bit silly really isn't it.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: December 15, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »

Oh, I was just teasing and having some fun since the whole thing was sounding pretty absurd. You seem pretty worked up about it so I'm going to do that backing away thing again and have dinner since to be honest, I care more about spicy duck salad than the first amendment. I didn't capitalize it, that's how unpatriotic I am when in need of spicy duck salad. You can have the last word now and really show 'em the true meaning of Christmas, or maybe talk about that Soundstage special some guy from some band did. C'mon, FOR CHRISTMAS. Don't ruin Christmas. Sorry to get you all riled and hope you have a good night, tho!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 07:11:11 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #342 on: December 15, 2014, 07:05:02 PM »

Well, this thread itself has turned surreal without any filmmaking involved, I must say.  Does anyone have anything more to say about the Soundstage Special perhaps who actually saw it?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: December 15, 2014, 07:10:54 PM »

Dunno, but the mere mention of duck salad has me drooling now LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 15, 2014, 07:19:52 PM »

That's Kool-Aid with a K.  Kool-Aid Man

(I just love an excuse to use that smiley)

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: December 15, 2014, 07:21:24 PM »

Oh, I was just teasing and having some fun since the whole thing was sounding pretty absurd. You seem pretty worked up about it so I'm going to do that backing away thing again and have dinner since to be honest, I care more about spicy duck salad than the first amendment. I didn't capitalize it, that's how unpatriotic I am when in need of spicy duck salad. You can have the last word now and really show 'em the true meaning of Christmas, or maybe talk about that Soundstage special some guy from some band did. C'mon, FOR CHRISTMAS. Don't ruin Christmas. Sorry to get you all riled and hope you have a good night, tho!
Enjoy your duck salad...what I really want for Christmas...(pun intended) is to see posters look objectively at every band member and look at the good stuff they brought to the table.  Is it possible?

And I'd love to have seen that show...the YouTubes looked and sounded great!   Wink
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 15, 2014, 07:25:27 PM »

Dunno, but the mere mention of duck salad has me drooling now LOL

Yeah, my mouth's watering just thinking about it. I really like roast duck. Bet it's really good in a salad. And with Kool-Aid. Or a Guinness.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 15, 2014, 07:31:30 PM »

Well, this thread itself has turned surreal without any filmmaking involved, I must say.  Does anyone have anything more to say about the Soundstage Special perhaps who actually saw it?

Didn't see it Debbie but a couple of thoughts. About 10 years ago, maybe longer, I made a couple of comments about Brian, and his band. The first was Brian should write songs for some other, perhaps younger singers. The ones who often cite him as an influence.

The second. Should Brian not be up to touring, maybe Al Jardine, having the best voice, could use the skills of Brians band. This remember was years prior to Al hooking up again with Brian.

Both these suggestions, especially Al using Brians group, were howled down. I've listened to the singer on the new song with more artists to come. Al has become a staple of a great Brian Wilson show.

I haven't hit 100% but I'm sitting here today with with a smug self satisfied look that AGD would be proud of.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: December 15, 2014, 10:19:43 PM »

[rant]

Saturday Night on Hollywood Blvd. is fantastic!  No Pier Pressure looks like it'll be a great one. I just don't want one of the artists to get too much fame singing one of Brian's songs.

What an utterly asinine statement.

Andrew! Was it necessary to point that out? I had managed to ignore it. And I'd personally appreciate if you worded your criticism in a more civil way, whether my appreciation means anything to you or not.

ithink you   should    learn HOW ! to write   with   proper spacing capsPUNCTUATION !!!! ,etc. Before you vomit this    UNREADABLE cr*p  onto   the   board ever again!  !!!!!

If it bugs you, don't read it.

KittyKat: There's people posting on this board whose criticism you should just ignore. There's only a few of them, and claiming the whole board had become a "blueboard cubed" is an insult to the reasonable posters.

[/rant]

Now, any more opinions on the show?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 15, 2014, 10:58:42 PM »

I wonder how they're going to edit the ending of  "Fun, Fun, Fun." 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx