gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:56:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Taping Soundstage Special With Special Guests  (Read 165022 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: December 14, 2014, 02:33:11 AM »

Do you think Brian hires non-musicians to give him underserved compliments in his every day life? Like when Brian goes to the store some hired guy says: "Cucumber, great choice Brian!" or "Nice, Brian! That's where you place the shopping cart once you are done shopping!".

LOL 

Everyone should have a person like that around them!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #226 on: December 14, 2014, 03:10:03 AM »

Right now - green with envy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: December 14, 2014, 03:31:56 AM »

This was posted by Billy Hinsche on FB:

"Summer's Gone" - right now ...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 14, 2014, 08:49:49 AM »

I would say that's the best anyone has sung WIBN in the past 30 years since Al was in his vocal prime.  I know that's a pain and he would probably rather not have to do it, but Al just nails that.  I love Carl and technically he was good, but he never sounded "right "on that song. Neither have the others who have sung it. That song needs a certain youthful "whine" to the vocal that only a younger Brian and Al can truly pull off.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 14, 2014, 09:20:39 AM »

wow, what I would give to have been there.

Thanks for all the reports, so jealous of all who attended.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 14, 2014, 09:24:13 AM »

You guys making fun of the poster who's primary language isn't English - that's really gettin' down, man. Give him a break!

That said, Brian should loose that "clap"/don't clap" routine on Good Vibrations. Personal opinion: I don't think it's funny or cute. If anything, he should bring back the extended "Gotta keep those lovin' good vibrations a-happenin with her" with the crowd singing. Now the girls! Now the boys! That kinda deal. Good to see he doesn't do the cigarette liter joke or "Michael Row The Boat Ashore" anymore. Or worse yet....."I'm A Little Teapot".  Roll Eyes

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 14, 2014, 10:11:33 AM »

You guys making fun of the poster who's primary language isn't English - that's really gettin' down, man. Give him a break!

Good for you , Mikie; coming to the defense of some negative spouting guy that can't be bothered to learn enough of the language to convince us that Brian isn't young anymore.
 Brian sounded GREAT!!!
Super glad I made the trip,  I wouldn't have missed it for the world! Rich, tell whomever punked out that I'm super glad they did.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 14, 2014, 10:25:09 AM »

I'm with you Mikie on the language and courtesy.

I think it is adorable that Brian likes to emulate Mike with illustrative hand gestures, the non-uber fan is probably cringing I'm sure but who cares.

Al and the band sound terrific but Brian does not sound good to me. I'm going to write it off as down to the audience hand-held recording and I'm sure he will sound as good as he gets on the sound recording because it looks like a lot of energy in the room.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 10:41:08 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 14, 2014, 10:27:21 AM »

Good for you , Mikie; coming to the defense of some negative spouting guy that can't be bothered to learn enough of the language to convince us that Brian isn't young anymore.
 Brian sounded GREAT!!!
Super glad I made the trip,  I wouldn't have missed it for the world! Rich, tell whomever punked out that I'm super glad they did.

Felipe is a big fan, Bgas, with 20+ posts (in English) under his belt. He was being subjective. Nothin' wrong with that. Also, he knows two languages - you know one.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 14, 2014, 10:45:52 AM »

Al and the band sound terrific but Brian does not sound good to me. I'm going to write it off as down to the audience hand-held recording and I'm sure he will sound as good as he gets on the sound recording because it looks like a lot of energy in the room.

Gotta agree with this. I'd like to see him enunciate his words better. We know the words, but some members of the audience tuning into the PBS special may not. He's use to jamming through the songs and reading the teleprompter and not pronouncing some of the words worth a damn. Watch Good Vibrations and especially the words at the end of the verses are rushed and garbled. Otherwise, he projects fine and is lucid.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 14, 2014, 11:09:50 AM »

For what it's worth--which is approximately nothing--I am a lot more understanding of the occasionally awkward flubs of non-native English speakers who are brave enough to post in a secondary language than of the mistakes of native speakers (your/you're, their/there/they're, "definate," for a few prominent examples).

On topic: I thought Al sounded good, surprisingly enough on the higher notes. I thought the medium and lower ones were shakier. For example, in the opening line, I thought "have" was maybe the weakest note, as in "wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long." That sounds flat. In the second line, the "nice" sounds off. Don't get me wrong, overall he sounds great. That's a hard song to sing for most anyone, much less a guy his age. And I can understand those slips, with so much attention (and breath) paid to the tougher notes, sometimes a person can let his guard down on the easier ones.

Anyway, I'm really excited to eventually see and hear more of the show. I'm sure whatever flubs there were barely registered for anyone there, in the excitement of the night. And no doubt they'll be fixed before it airs, anyway. I just hope it ends up a 2-hour show, not a 1-hour one! Full setlist! (Not betting on that.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 14, 2014, 11:10:58 AM »

Do you think Brian hires non-musicians to give him underserved compliments in his every day life? Like when Brian goes to the store some hired guy says: "Cucumber, great choice Brian!" or "Nice, Brian! That's where you place the shopping cart once you are done shopping!".

LOL 

Everyone should have a person like that around them!

I would almost bet money, that YES, at one time in Brain's life (probably around 85 or 86) Brian DID pay somebody to follow him around and compliment him all day Smiley 
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 14, 2014, 11:48:09 AM »

Wow! Hold On Dear Brother is outstanding!
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 14, 2014, 11:52:57 AM »

Seconded , superb
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 14, 2014, 11:56:12 AM »

I'll try to put up more of this show when I get home later.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: December 14, 2014, 11:58:28 AM »

I enjoy the new song: the refrain in particular sounds really strong to me, very memorable. And I think the intro will translate better on a studio version. It sounded a little lacking live to me. And then "Hold On, Dear Brother?" Oh my. Just stellar, from Reuss straight on down through the whole band. Must have felt good for Ricky and Blondie to hear it done live at that quality for such an appreciative audience.

For those who were there, what was Brian' demeanor through or reaction to HODB? Obviously, it wasn't a song he had any particular involvement in the first time around. Was he into it here, or just kind of there?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 14, 2014, 11:59:23 AM »

For those who were there, what was Brian' demeanor through or reaction to HODB? Obviously, it wasn't a song he had any particular involvement in the first time around. Was he into it here, or just kind of there?

I wish I could say, but my eyes were glued to Nate Reuss.
Casper Van Diem
Smiley Smile Newbie

You trying to be a hero, Watkins?

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 14, 2014, 12:01:44 PM »

Seconded , superb

Thirded, exceptional performance of a good song, the vocals on the 'I want your love...' sections in particular .

I'm guessing this is the first time this HODB has been played live since about 1974/75?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 14, 2014, 12:03:58 PM »

I wish I could say, but my eyes were glued to Nate Reuss.

I don't blame you. One thing, though: didn't Brian say in an interview how Nate's voice reminded him of Carl's? (I don't think I'm making that up.) I didn't see it at the time ... and still don't. It's so sharp, brassy, more like Al's, if anyone's. It's great, though, don't get me wrong. I just don't hear and and think, "Carl!"

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 14, 2014, 12:23:25 PM »

Nate knocked it out of the park! Can only imagine how it was live.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 14, 2014, 12:29:08 PM »

Really enjoying the YouTube stuff, especially Al on Wouldn't It Be Nice, and Nate Reuss on all his leads, but who's doing that horrendous falsetto tag on California Girls?

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 12:42:52 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 14, 2014, 02:12:34 PM »

For what it's worth--which is approximately nothing--I am a lot more understanding of the occasionally awkward flubs of non-native English speakers who are brave enough to post in a secondary language than of the mistakes of native speakers (your/you're, their/there/they're, "definate," for a few prominent examples).

No. That statement is definitely worth something. Good one, Cap. And let me add the continuous mistake of using the non-word "alot" in a sentence.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 14, 2014, 03:08:45 PM »

Really enjoying the YouTube stuff, especially Al on Wouldn't It Be Nice, and Nate Reuss on all his leads, but who's doing that horrendous falsetto tag on California Girls?

Deleted
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 14, 2014, 03:10:59 PM »

No. That statement is definitely worth something. Good one, Cap. And let me add the continuous mistake of using the non-word "alot" in a sentence.
AHH, the master of misspelling on his normal rant referencing alot; GET OVER IT Mikie!  
You'll probably feel alot better when it's gone from your psyche

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 14, 2014, 04:14:24 PM »

That did kind of stick out.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx