gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:09:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Taping Soundstage Special With Special Guests  (Read 165757 times)
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 13, 2014, 10:31:56 AM »

I am with you Bossaroo, the evening was an embarrassment of riches (how could one complain) but I, too, was hoping for From There To Back Again.  They should have just done Strange World to the very end of the TWGMTR album.  Would have been nice to hear FTTBA without the extra vocal processing.  Oh well.  It was pretty awesome as it was!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 13, 2014, 10:43:52 AM »

We can only cross our fingers and hope that Joe doesn't murder the vocals with auto-tune. Honestly, no one needs it. Not even Mr. Not-Always-Reliable-Wilson. He did a great job on his solo section of "This Beautiful Day".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: December 13, 2014, 10:50:35 AM »

How did BW sound throughout?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 13, 2014, 11:14:58 AM »

How did BW sound throughout?

He was very good.
However, there was a few lyrical flubs ("Sloop John B" was one of them), and there was a song where I think he didn't realize his turn to sing had started, so Al jumped in and took over until Brian started singing his part.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 13, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »

Someone needs to post some video, especially the new songs!  I really wish I could have made the trip.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 13, 2014, 11:21:56 AM »

I regret so much I did not go there.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 13, 2014, 11:22:05 AM »

Someone needs to post some video, especially the new songs!  I really wish I could have made the trip.

I really want to hear Hold On Dear Brother as well, I love that one.  I would be surprised if all of this makes it to the broadcast, I was at the all star tribute in 2001, and probably about half of that made it to the special.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 13, 2014, 11:36:29 AM »

After the concert was over, I had the great pleasure to meet a mister Ray Lawlor. We talked about Brian and the concert for a while and he was also mightily impressed with Nate's performance of "Hold On, Dear Brother". He eventually had to go backstage to meet up with and say hello to some people, but it was fun while it lasted. He's a very kind, friendly guy.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 13, 2014, 11:40:10 AM »

After the concert was over, I had the great pleasure to meet a mister Ray Lawlor. We talked about Brian and the concert for a while and he was also mightily impressed with Nate's performance of "Hold On, Dear Brother". He eventually had to go backstage to meet up with and say hello to some people, but it was fun while it lasted. He's a very kind, friendly guy.

Sounds like great times.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #184 on: December 13, 2014, 11:45:40 AM »

Thanks to everyone for your posts...clearly a spectacular show.  It's really generous of each of you to take the time to share - now go win big $$$!  

I think I may regret missing "Hold On Dear Brother" almost as much as missing the new songs.  Brother Fataar was a kind, gentle soul, and I'm so glad he was remembered a la Denny and Carl.

And those new songs!

I have said both to, and about Jeffrey F. that I think he is an amazing singer, so this isn't about him.  Yet, I confess that when I saw Ike (Brian) Eichenberger back in 2007/2008 (forget which exactly) it was the first time I saw someone who reminded me THAT much of Brian W. performing.  Having been a little fan girl of Brian W's back in the 60's and 70's (even a little screamer between songs - not during - it was kind of like clapping only louder, then - honest!), I just sat there transfixed that while Ike was doing Bob Flanagan's part, it was so much like watching Brian onstage - talk about a thread through generations of amazing singers!  I can't wait to see Ike working with BW band in the future.  There is so much promise for 2015 shows in addition to the new recorded work of Brian's that I am still one excited old fan girl at this point in time.  
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 12:19:30 PM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2014, 12:00:43 PM »

Sounds like great times.

Of course, it would have been better if my favorite Swede was there Smiley
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 13, 2014, 12:06:12 PM »

Sounds like great times.

Of course, it would have been better if my favorite Swede was there Smiley

There is always a next time. Smiley

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 13, 2014, 12:36:02 PM »

Thanks to everyone for your posts...clearly a spectacular show.  It's really generous of each of you to take the time to share - now go win big $$$!  

I think I may regret missing "Hold On Dear Brother" almost as much as missing the new songs.  Brother Fataar was a kind, gentle soul, and I'm so glad he was remembered a la Denny and Carl.

And those new songs!

I have said both to, and about Jeffrey F. that I think he is an amazing singer, so this isn't about him.  Yet, I confess that when I saw Ike (Brian) Eichenberger back in 2007/2008 (forget which exactly) it was the first time I saw someone who reminded me THAT much of Brian W. performing.  Having been a little fan girl of Brian W's back in the 60's and 70's (even a little screamer between songs - not during - it was kind of like clapping only louder, then - honest!), I just sat there transfixed that while Ike was doing Bob Flanagan's part, it was so much like watching Brian onstage - talk about a thread through generations of amazing singers!  I can't wait to see Ike working with BW band in the future.  There is so much promise for 2015 shows in addition to the new recorded work of Brian's that I am still one excited old fan girl at this point in time.  

Debbie, thank you for your perspective.  I really appreciate posts from you and Ray and those that have or have had a much closer relationship with Brian than most of us here will ever have or hope to have.  I have a feeling that we are seeing the beginning of the end of Brian's career as a pop music songwriter.  The inclusion of Pacific Coast Highway and Summer's Gone to the last Beach Boys album and this show, coupled with the possible inclusion of the song titled Last Song with Lana Del Ray on No Pier Pressure leads me to believe that this is a swan song period for Brian.  Do you think this is pretty much it for him as an active performer/recording artist? 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: December 13, 2014, 12:45:22 PM »

Ray's an awesome dude...one of the nicest people i know and great sense of humor.

Man...i wish I'd been at that show. Sounds incredible,  and i pray that the airing isn't too doctored.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2014, 01:00:05 PM »

Most artists contemplate mortality at some point ... Brian definitely seems to be there now. But just because someone writes about the subject doesn't mean he one she won't record or write again.

Take Time Out of Mind -- it was seen as Dylan's death album. And it had a haunted sound and lyrics to boot. Ditto for the early Johnny Cash / Rick Rubin things. But in each case, popular response and incredible acclaim -- not to mention their own satisfaction -- prompted them to record a bunch more. In Dylan's case, his post "death" albums have been downright lively!

I expect Brian to write and perform until he can't physically do so any longer. But I think you can also tell from his touring schedule of the last few years that he's slowing down. And that's okay!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 01:22:08 PM by Wirestone » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #190 on: December 13, 2014, 01:04:18 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:59:13 PM by zatch » Logged
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 13, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »

Good Vibrations:  
Wouldn't It Be Nice:

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 01:42:46 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 13, 2014, 01:44:58 PM »

Good Vibrations:

Wow.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 01:42:59 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 13, 2014, 03:22:57 PM »

My thoughts from show:

12/12/14 Brian Wilson and Friends at Venetian Theater, Las Vegas, NV

Cool venue. Crowd was slow to get in- started a couple min late. Taping for pbs special to air in 2015. Hopefully somewhere full show will be available and not just a version edited down to an hour. All inbound flights to Vegas we delayed today so I hustled from airport and made it just in time for show. The other BW fans around me had similar experiences. I tried to note as much as possible that I thought other fans would appreciate, but as show went on it became clear this was a once in a lifetime show and became harder to remember to jot stuff down. Some of below is from what I noted during show, other from memory this morning. Bottom line: a great show that was clearly a one-off. So happy to have had the opportunity to see the live and am thrilled those who weren't there will get to see it on tv.

General details/ thoughts:  no break and no encore. Maybe this is due to the taping aspect. A few songs were done twice. Brian didn't sing nearly as many leads as usual, but when he did he sounded as good as I've heard him live. It was really cool to hear others singing a lot of the songs I'm used to Brian singing live. He seemed to really like watching the others bring the songs to life.

I thought I'd finally get to hear Little Saint Nick live as it is mid-December. Sadly, I didn't. But I'm not complaining because I got to hear Brian, the band and the special guests all rip through a unique and ambitious set list. It was a treat.

Al was front and center for a lot of the show, except when the guests we singing lead. Brian was to Al's right on the white piano and darian and Scott keys stations were set up to Al's left. This is second show I've seen with Brian Eichelberger in the group and I gotta say he is my favorite of the "falsettlers." His voice is so great on top of the rest of the group. I love the blend they all have together and he sounds to my ears the absolute closest to what Brian sounded like on the records. Blondie, Ricky, Billy and Matt Jardine were in an out throughout playing and/or singing on various songs. Matt seemed to be there for all the stuff from Brian's new album and some others, Blondie and Ricky mostly on the 70s stuff and at the end, and Billy whenever he wanted.

Ok on to the set list.

Our Prayer (beautiful-Brian E sounding just like BW in the 60s) into

Heroes- BW with a fantastic lead. The best I've heard him sing this. Ever.  By this point, I knew this was going to be an amazing show. Brian was "on" vocally. And then they do the cantina section! Woohoo!

Sloop John B- Brian lead first verse, Al comes in with harmony "hoist up the john b sails" and it's sounding like 1966 all over again. I really hope they release this whole show as a live album as well. Both guys are just locked in. Al takes lead on the Mike and Carl verses and sings them great.

Dance dance dance- band in great form and really shines. Brian E soaring falsetto and rhythm section drives energy level way up here.

Then I Kissed Her- Al sounded just like the record. Dude is amazing.

She Knows Me So Well- Brian E sounded so much like a young BW here, especially on the line "I really love her." Wow.

Good Vibes- BW clap on breakdown then adamant "stop clapping!" Before crescendo ahhh. Was funny.

This Beautiful Day-  off new album. slow short number. Mark Isham comes out and plays on this.

This Beautiful Day second take- "life goes on and on like your fav song, what we feel inside on this, wayward ride , if we could glide away we would, only stay, we could hold on to this feeling and this beautiful day" sublime vocal group tag at end.

Runaway Dancer/Talk of the town? - Song from new album with Sebu from Capital Cities and Mark Isham "we can't let go and there's something in the air tonight..."- dance song with a disco feel.

Don't worry baby- Sebu on leads, arrangement was very different could it be on new album? Weird to have Sebu singing lead on this with Brian E and Matt Jardine on background vocals but he did a great job.

Al intros Blondie, Ricky and Billy Hinsche "core beach boy touring band from the 70s."

Marcella -just rocked. Brian W lead. Ricky on drums. 

Wild honey with Blondie lead. Killer vocal.

Sailor - maybe the best version I've ever heard. Worth noting how much Probyn was shredding at this show. Nick was great on his solos as well. Blondie some licks at end.

Sloop type song from new album- Blondie leads then Al on chorus "sail away with me" Brian leads on second verse- cool key change on final chorus "imagine how our our life could be if you could sail away with me" "oh ohhhh oh" sing along part at end.

Don't talk- isham instead of vocals beautiful

Half moon bay- inst from new record stopped mid through isham

Half moon bay take two isham- instrumental

Al brings Matt j back out to "support his old man --we need all the help we can get"

The Right Time- new album- "whatever happened to me and you"- "right, could it be the right, could it be the right time for thinkin it over for getting to know her"- Al on lead

California saga- al in fine voice. Cool breakdown in middle with drums, harp and vocals before final verse.

Wouldn't it be nice- in key of E- al lead not doubled by Brian E. Al on his own just murdered it. As good as he's ever sounded singing this. Great background vocals from band.  Al "thanks Brian for writing that great song"

Rhonda- loose and fun- dancing guitar hook, sax, bouncing bass, al having lots of fun leading group. Last get her out of my heart Brian comes in strong with a harmony with al. Big finish.

Nate Ruess from fun comes out. "What a great evening this is." Song from new album-  "You got me thinking bout all the people that helped me come out from within" chorus "Saturday night on Hollywood blvd...just where I want to be spending my time here with you." Brian sings bridge.

Hold On Dear Brother- Ricky Blondie back out. Nate sings lead. Another from from Carl and the passions! Soaring powerful vocals. Felt like he could've filled room without using a mic.

Darlin'- Nate "I know this one" Murdered it. After song calls out band for being unbelievable. Carl Wilson is smiling real big right about now.

God Only Knows- Nate on lead, Brian sings Bruce part at end softly and beautifully. Brian E sounds great at top.

Pacific Coast Highway- from new album- starts with a four freshman type vocal tag, slow ballad Brian lead "sometimes I realize days are gettin on" Brian singing falsetto here! Short sad ends with "goodbye"

Summer's Gone- slow ballad - BW lead vocals. Some keys in there remind me of Wonderful -instrumental break in middle, nice falsetto stuff in here from Brian E and almost atmospheric background vocals from band.

Cal Girls- really brought house down. Brian on lead here. Singing well. Darian and Co locked in and up in the mix. Add in authenticity of Jardine and man it sounds lush. Probyn singing the Bruce echo superb. Loves hearing the backgrounds hotter in the mix. 

All Summer Long - also lush and awesome. Brian W lead.

Barbara Ann-Sebu back out. Hinsche. Matt j. Good lead by Brian E but missed opportunity to have Matt j double him like Brian and Dean Torrance on original record. Loose Solo breakdowns Paul, probyn? (Someone on lead guitar) , billy piano.

Surfin usa- cool surf guitar from Nicky here. Brian missed first line but sang Great lead. Organ solo by billy. Was cool to see Darian and Scott let billy do his thing.

Fun fun fun- al doubling probyn lead gtr to open. Brian good lead.

No encore.

Played for 2 hours. Only real complaint is that the show wasn't 5 more hours!
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 13, 2014, 03:29:14 PM »

Al's back on lead for WIBN:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 01:43:19 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2014, 03:49:27 PM »

DC310, the way you described Pacific Coast Highway and Summer's Gone sounds like you're under the impression they're new. Just FYI, they're both on the 2012 Beach Boys album.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 13, 2014, 04:29:52 PM »

Oh that makes sense as they seemed a little familiar.  I was not a fan of that album-- only listened to it once.  After enjoying those songs last night, perhaps I should revisit.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 04:43:01 PM by DC310 » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2014, 04:50:16 PM »

Al's back on lead for WIBN:
Al is just amazing. He sang WIBN beautifully. He must really take good care of himself. He sounds as good as he ever has. He needs no help with it, and that is one tough song to sing. Bravo! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 01:43:40 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2014, 05:26:38 PM »

And those new songs!

Debbie, thank you for your perspective.  I really appreciate posts from you and Ray and those that have or have had a much closer relationship with Brian than most of us here will ever have or hope to have.  I have a feeling that we are seeing the beginning of the end of Brian's career as a pop music songwriter.  The inclusion of Pacific Coast Highway and Summer's Gone to the last Beach Boys album and this show, coupled with the possible inclusion of the song titled Last Song with Lana Del Ray on No Pier Pressure leads me to believe that this is a swan song period for Brian.  Do you think this is pretty much it for him as an active performer/recording artist? 

This will sound like a cop out, and it probably is, but I tend to agree with Wirestone on this.  Part of it is a function of age that he makes reference to mortality and wonders if a song will be his last work.  Then there is the reality of age, things are tougher physically and there's the feeling that you've seen it and done it all before.  I remember people commenting that they thought it was odd that Brian was the last Wilson brother living, yet I never did. With all that vulnerability, there is an amazing strength.  The man is tough.

I'm glad that someone also pointed out that Brian was a pro when it was time for the show last evening.  He knows who he is and respects himself as an artist, so I know when it's "show time" he'll do his best.  It's got to be boring sometimes, and tiring, but he does care.

I guess we all wonder about the future, and frankly don't know.  Brian will stop when he gets tired, and there may be days that are questionable in that area all the time.  He may decide to quit.  Then he may get bored and write and perform again. I have a "wait and see" attitude at this point, and love every minute that he still wants to share his work with us.  If he stopped tomorrow, I'd accept it and wish him the happiest, most relaxed life possible.  Heaven knows he's filled my life with more than I could ever ask for - the joy and the beauty have been astounding.  Was it tough sometimes?  You have NO IDEA how tough.  Brian's world isn't an easy one - least of all for him, but it is sure worth it.  Ask his wife (speaking of amazing strength), who lives it everyday and has for a long time, and I'd bet everything she'd agree with that statement.

I also think, with everything he's been through, that he knows he's well-loved.  He has great friends and family who genuinely love him, and I've never met anyone who could "read a room" like he does, so he has to get how much his listeners love him, too.  I suspect that's energized him for awhile, and we'll see how that works in the future.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2014, 06:03:43 PM »

Loving these reviews and commentary. Dying to see the broadcast eventually! Thanks all.    Smiley

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx