gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:45:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Taping Soundstage Special With Special Guests  (Read 166097 times)
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2014, 11:09:28 AM »

Al Jardine, Matt Jardine, Blondie Chaplin, Ricky Fataar, Billy Hinsche...all of them on stage playing music with Brian Wilson in 2014.

Strip away all biases, all tendencies to gravitate toward one "camp" or another, and consider: Isn't THIS worthy of some attention, some fan excitement, some level of "that's really cool" kind of sentiment?
Yes.

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2014, 11:09:54 AM »

At least the good old days of passive aggressiveness are here to stay! Cheers and apologies for the snark. I'm way too hyper and in danger of transforming into pure energy.

I just saw Interstellar (finally) last night.  I'm thinking someone should be videoing you turning into pure energy at the show.  It's selling pretty well in IMAX theatres...There you go, Andy Lippincott will be proven right, along with the Nolan brothers...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Given those 2 video clips, I know you'll be in a VERY good place, Ontor even if you are still in mundane physical form...Have a great time.  What a line-up of talent tonight.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2014, 11:12:17 AM »

On Brian's FB..they put up a video of the band rehearsing "Pacific Coast Highway" from TWGMTR for tonight's show.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2014, 11:21:36 AM »

Why didn't Joe import attractive young actors for the PBS Beach Boys' C50 special? The audience they filmed for that, which Joe also produced, was filled with elder folk from Florida.  Why now?  Because it's Brian solo?

I would guess this is because the C50 shows were essentially tour stops that they happened to film (and they filmed numerous shows that weren't released, including Red Rocks, Hollywood Bowl, etc.). As opposed to the Brian show in question, which is a TV show taping that happens to be taking place at a concert venue rather than a TV studio. They're running this Brian gig like they would a TV studio taping; they just happen to be doing it a venue that holds enough seats that they can sell "regular" tickets as well.

Joe Thomas is a producer and director for "Soundstage." He certainly would be heavily involved in decisions regarding "casting" the front rows and whatnot. But he didn't invent the idea, and it could well be others behind the scenes who are requesting or demanding this. The record label may also be using some of the footage for promotional material. Who knows. Doing this audience casting is a total d*ck maneuver, no question. But as with other things (autotune, ticket scalpers), it's par for the course unfortunately.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 11:23:07 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2014, 11:21:48 AM »

Mike and Bruce will be in Minnesota.

http://www.minneapolis-theater.com/theaters/hinckley-event-center/beach-boys.php

(more incorrect marketing BTW)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2014, 11:27:16 AM »

It would be cool to see Brian and Al knock out the last 3-4 tracks from TWGMTR in concert. It's less likely they'll heavily feature Al since the show is intended to promote the new Brian album. But I always hope we'll get something new from Al other than "Rhonda", etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2014, 11:44:50 AM »

It would be cool to see Brian and Al knock out the last 3-4 tracks from TWGMTR in concert. It's less likely they'll heavily feature Al since the show is intended to promote the new Brian album. But I always hope we'll get something new from Al other than "Rhonda", etc.

Given the recent posts on Brian's FB page, I'm thinking you'll be in luck.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2014, 11:58:20 AM »

Am I crazy to think that maybe Dave not being present at this show could in part be a political move to not "stick it" to Love quite as much as it would if Dave were in fact present? Meaning, that Dave is the one BB who freely moves between both camps, and remains in everyone's' good graces...  but that if the already current stellar lineup of 4 actual BBs at this show were additionally augmented by a 5th actual BB, that this could be a tipping point, and a bit too much of a slap in the face towards Love, who Dave is presumably still good buds with?

I don't think that everyone is present just to "stick it" towards anyone, but I do think that the brainchild to add more BBs at a BW show that is not marketed as "The BBs" makes a statement towards M&B some degree, ultimately, even if inadvertent. I find it difficult to believe that it means nothing whatsoever politically to any of the living BBs. It means something to some of them I'm sure. Maybe there's zero truth to my Dave theory, but I'm curious if anyone has thought this too.

Either way, it's just about the coolest thing ever that this show is happening, and I do just wish Dave could be there too. (I also wish M&B were there too, but that's a whole other matter).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 12:03:38 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2014, 12:13:58 PM »

Dave is on a vacation tour around the world, or at least he was as of a few days ago. Dave may not be available and his trip may have been planned months before this concert was arrange
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2014, 12:17:32 PM »

Dave is on a vacation tour around the world, or at least he was as of a few days ago. Dave may not be available and his trip may have been planned months before this concert was arrange

Too bad he could not play with Brian tonight. This is the real Beach Boys lineup, no question about it. I hope Dave gets another shot at playing with BW, AJ, RF, BC, BH and MJ in the future. If they do I will travel across the world to see them.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 12:22:21 PM by OMG! Rob! » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2014, 12:30:25 PM »

Al is heavily featured on the new BW album, so I bet he will sing a bunch. Maybe not on FTTBA, but who knows!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 12:31:17 PM by Wirestone » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2014, 12:42:23 PM »

Maybe that's all there is to it then. If not, then it would indeed seem like an odd omission for a show like this.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2014, 02:50:50 PM »

Status: grinning insanely. Borderline obscene grin, really.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2014, 03:09:35 PM »

Let us know how it goes!

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2014, 04:04:43 PM »

PCH sounds fantastic.
Wish I'd been daft enough to fly over for this one. Might be something special.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2014, 04:40:59 PM »

This is totally something special. Stay tuned.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2014, 04:44:49 PM »

Out with it!
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2014, 06:17:20 PM »

Out with it!
+1  Cool 
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2014, 06:17:46 PM »

Out with it!

well it hasn't started so..........
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2014, 06:31:51 PM »

Can we start celebrating how awesome this was yet?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
atroxi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2014, 07:33:57 PM »

Hanging out in row t, seat 28. Playing count the cameras while I wait...
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2014, 07:48:36 PM »

The rehearsals were amazing but seated for the main event now. Let all of Club Kokomo rest easy -- there is a sea of gray hair up front. More later and explosions of delight!

Unless it turns out they were casting kindly grandpas, we can probably ease off mocking the mullet on that score.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:50:03 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2014, 07:56:23 PM »

Would that be similar to a "sh*t eating grin"? I'd be smiLing ear to ear if I was in your shoes. Enjoy the real deal OP!! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2014, 08:19:35 PM »

A few minutes to 8pm is Las Vegas. Sitting in my lounge room is sunny summery Sydney waiting for the first reports. Flashing on the first night of SMiLE in 2004.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2014, 09:41:46 PM »

Random people at the Venetian, from Instagram ...

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx