gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 02:05:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Taping Soundstage Special With Special Guests  (Read 166085 times)
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: March 18, 2015, 10:06:36 AM »

Ahh... After being disappointed by production of the studio version of "The Right Time,"  I assumed I would like it more live.  This will be my definitive version of that song.  (Although, I still think it is need more verse and less chorus.)

I'm looking forward to having a nice recording of a recent performance of Blondie doing Wild Honey, as well!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 18, 2015, 10:26:34 AM »

I haven't read or contributed to these movie and Stoundstage and Pier Pressure threads because I saw the 'spoiler alert' and want to be surprised.

I did see the Vegas clip though and was pleasantly surprised with Blondie and Ricky being there for Wild Honey & Hold On Dear Brother. I'm really happy that Brian recognizes these guys and is bringing Blondie and Ricky back into the fold, albeit temporarily. I wonder who's idea it was to do that. I really hope they do "Hold On Dear Brother" this Summer when Brian tours. The song really brings back memories of playing the CT&T album in the 70's, a time when Brian was really out of commission. It was really Carl's idea to bring Blondie and Ricky on board after Al saw them play. So I wonder if it was Al's idea (or Foskett) to bring them back one more time. Good for Brian on this move!!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 18, 2015, 10:28:13 AM »

Is Soundstage being carried in the Atlanta area? I can't find a listing for them on GPB's website, which is the only PBS outlet I can get (the cable co. doesn't carry the second PBS channel).

Oh, well, there's always the DVD releases....
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #478 on: March 18, 2015, 10:41:35 AM »

Is Soundstage being carried in the Atlanta area? I can't find a listing for them on GPB's website, which is the only PBS outlet I can get (the cable co. doesn't carry the second PBS channel).

Oh, well, there's always the DVD releases....

I’ve assumed (perhaps wrongly) that most PBS affiliates carry “Soundstage.” It appears the show may not be currently airing a “season” of the show, so there may not be any listings for the show on any program listings just yet.

I may have also seen somewhere that the Brian episode is a “Soundstage Special” or something along those lines, so it may not even be a “regular” episode of the series, and if it goes under an alternate title like that, may not appear under the normal “Soundstage” series listings.

I pretty much just keep a BB and “Brian Wilson” search going on my box to look out for this stuff. If it’s like the 2012 “Doin’ it Again” thing, it will air on all sorts of different days and times around the country.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #479 on: March 18, 2015, 10:48:20 AM »

A good idea may be to contact your local area's PBS station and ask them when the Soundstage will be broadcast. I'm pretty sure that's one of the series that gets picked up by almost all PBS outlets, but as mentioned it's up to each station when they decide to actually air it. Also, if a local station may not have plans to air it for whatever reasons, if they get viewers calling in asking about it, they'd see a demand and possibly make plans to add it to the schedule.

Note: I got that tip from watching Bob Ross' "Joy Of Painting" years ago when he'd say "call your local PBS station and tell them you'd like to see more of our shows" or something like that.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 18, 2015, 10:49:12 AM »

Wow, the Professor agrees, big time. We all love Billy so much. That Nate guy, whom I had never heard of before, is singing up a storm. This may be a Grammy winning album.

One aspect of the show that was special for me to see was Brian, Al, Blondie, Ricky, and Billy lined up across the front of the stage playing music together. A lot of fans have a special affinity for that early 70's live lineup that could play the heck out of a live show, and bringing those musicians back together in 2014 was a pretty special thing. Having Blondie there especially, man the guy just brings it every time he plays live and it's wonderful to see him there, and with Ricky on drums...that's the good stuff.
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 18, 2015, 11:06:05 AM »

I wish that Brian and whatever powers that be had made a special effort to make sure he was present as an artist on the two songs that bill him as such on the upcoming album.

Sometimes things just don’t work out timing wise. Last Nov / Dec, David and I went on a month long trip around the world to celebrate our 15 year wedding anniversary. I believe we were in Thailand when the special was filmed. 
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 18, 2015, 11:14:12 AM »

Carrie,

Thanks for the info!  I hope that will help settle some of the odder posts that assume every inclusion/exclusion is some sort of political statement.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 18, 2015, 11:19:18 AM »

Thank you for commenting Carrie. You know the professor is somewhat urgently protective of Dave as an artist and as a historical figure. As long as he is happy with his work and his art and his varied relations with his BB brothers, then I can rest content. One cannot but hope, however, for as much just accolade and proper celebration of Dave as is possible. I would love to see him play that song live with Brian and Al at some point and for the fans to know it was a collaborative artistic effort by three BB.

Not to go off topic, but the Professor was once a professor at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, in 1987-88 so he knows Thailand well. I hope you enjoyed the deep spirituality of the many temples.  We all here have seen some of those photos, including Dave at what I recognize to Sanam Luang at Wat Phra Kaew, which houses the Emerald Buddha.

Thank you for commenting and updating us on "the great David Marks," whom so many of us cherish in the BB universe. I will continue to dream of more BB unity and more of Dave playing with any and all of his fellow BB, as he is clearly planning with Mike and Bruce in some upcoming shows.

I wish that Brian and whatever powers that be had made a special effort to make sure he was present as an artist on the two songs that bill him as such on the upcoming album.

Sometimes things just don’t work out timing wise. Last Nov / Dec, David and I went on a month long trip around the world to celebrate our 15 year wedding anniversary. I believe we were in Thailand when the special was filmed. 
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 18, 2015, 11:26:22 AM »

I'm amazed you didn't interrupt your anniversary celebration to fly back and be part of the special

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 18, 2015, 11:33:54 AM »

By the way, congrats on 15 years!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: March 18, 2015, 11:43:51 AM »

Thank you for commenting Carrie. You know the professor is somewhat urgently protective of Dave as an artist and as a historical figure. As long as he is happy with his work and his art and his varied relations with his BB brothers, then I can rest content. One cannot but hope, however, for as much just accolade and proper celebration of Dave as is possible. I would love to see him play that song live with Brian and Al at some point and for the fans to know it was a collaborative artistic effort by three BB.

I think the album credits Dave on the tracks he plays on. He actually gets a billing on the track title itself (e.g. “The Right Time (featuring Al Jardine & David Marks)), which most musicians who play on Brian’s tracks certainly don’t get. I feel like he’s getting ample credit on the track for having played guitar on it. I’m sure they want to connote the Beach Boys connections where they are present on the album, but it’s still a nice credit I think. In fact, when I purchased the track on Amazon, they actually left Al’s name off of it. It read “The Right Time (featuring David Marks).”

I think Dave has received an appropriate amount of mentions and credits for the new album. I don’t think they need to mention Dave played guitar on the studio recording when they perform the song live and Dave isn’t there. I actually wouldn’t be super surprised if Brian ends up tackling one or two of the “duet” songs on his upcoming tour by himself. I’d be intrigued if Brian does “Runaway Dancer” for instance on his upcoming tour on his own.

I dig Dave, he’s a cool guy and was an awesome part of C50. I’m not trying to say one negative word about him. But I think fans have been given more than ample indication of his contributions to Brian’s new album.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #487 on: March 18, 2015, 11:56:57 AM »

Loved the trailers - thanks to everyone who shared them - truly gorgeous.  The raves posted here by those in the audience back in Dec are coming to life.  As to those of you bitching about whatever personal obsession you have, I'm wishing you the peace of mind to just enjoy a real gift.  Like over 50 years of gifts and still counting...
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #488 on: March 18, 2015, 03:10:06 PM »

Loved the trailers - thanks to everyone who shared them - truly gorgeous.  The raves posted here by those in the audience back in Dec are coming to life.  As to those of you bitching about whatever personal obsession you have, I'm wishing you the peace of mind to just enjoy a real gift.  Like over 50 years of gifts and still counting...

I did find it on my local station listings and will be seeing it, thank heavens.  Best to go on your local PBS station website and search Soundstage if you have a problem finding it.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 18, 2015, 03:23:42 PM »

Trailer was outtasight. Can't wait for the whole thing. Blondie for mayor!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: March 18, 2015, 11:28:34 PM »

Well hot damn, ain't that something ?  Grin  Major props to Nate for having the titanium balls to sing "HO,DB" with the original vocalist within arms length. And nail it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 11:30:20 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 19, 2015, 12:18:16 AM »

Well hot damn, ain't that something ?  Grin  Major props to Nate for having the titanium balls to sing "HO,DB" with the original vocalist within arms length. And nail it.

That whole trailer was pretty mind blowing, from Our Prayer through Good Vibrations.

It all sounded so good.

Can't wait to see/hear the whole Soundstage special, AND hear what future Brian Wilson collaborations we have in store.

Hearing Blondie/Brian/Al trade off parts in just that small little part of the video shows how much those 3 complement each other. AND to have Ricky Fataar there playing his tunes.

Can't call this a good time to be a Beach Boys fan, but it sure as hell is likely the best time to be a Brian Wilson fan since the mid-1960s.....

Mazel tov, Mr. Wilson & co.!

No mas, por favor.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 19, 2015, 02:03:08 AM »

Carrie. Any truth to this story from yesterday stating Dave will be touring with Brian from June? Its the only time his name has been listed.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/arts-and-entertainment/20150318/steve-smith-las-brian-fest-celebrates-beach-boy-brian-wilson

In June, Wilson with Jardine, Marks and Chaplin in tow, will embark on a 17-date summer tour that includes a June 19 stop at Humphrey’s in San Diego and June 20 at L.A.’s Greek Theatre. Opening for Wilson will be folkie Rodriguez, the topic of the Oscar-winning documentary, “Looking for Sugarman,” who recorded a couple critically acclaimed LPs in the ‘70s and then vanished.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: March 19, 2015, 02:23:34 AM »

That whole trailer was pretty mind blowing, from Our Prayer through Good Vibrations.

It all sounded so good.

Waiting...  Cheesy

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: March 19, 2015, 01:18:13 PM »

The only thing I didn't like about the trailer was the utterly insipid vocal by Deschanel. Far too ikkle girly, especially in such august company. Bleh.

Otherwise... well oh my oh gosh oh gee.  Grin

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 19, 2015, 01:32:49 PM »

Amen, St Andrew. I had that bit of poison in my head all last night.  Her posture and mien were sickeningly cute and solipsistic.

The only thing I didn't like about the trailer was the utterly insipid vocal by Deschanel. Far too ikkle girly, especially in such august company. Bleh.

Otherwise... well oh my oh gosh oh gee.  Grin
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #496 on: March 19, 2015, 02:24:37 PM »

One of the big criticisms of Deschanel’s music is that her voice is very average, and it’s the whole package (the look, the inflection, the “whimsy”) that attracts people to it. This clip reinforces that. It’s a kind of bland, but totally on-key, performance. She has a pleasant voice. But it’s the whimsical, retro nature of the whole thing that probably attracts people to it.

This clip probably makes things worse because she does give the visual impression to me that she’s kind of bored. She probably isn’t, but it kind of seems that way. It also appears they are either lip-syncing to the finished take or that they used different recording footage compared to what’s actually on the recording.

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #497 on: March 19, 2015, 03:25:51 PM »

Did we see the same trailer?  Zooey was note perfect - the way Brian likes it - had the Jobim jazz thing down and she's beautiful. The visuals? - She looked like she was singing into a microphone in a recording studio to me. ;-)  That struck me as consistent with portraying the idea of recording a song for NPP for the trailer since she wasn't at the live show.  I'm unclear what the problem is.  I happen to love the song, too.  Ah, we all have our opinions.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: March 19, 2015, 03:37:43 PM »

I love the sound of it and BW needed to be doin' some more bossa nova anyway. Accept the bangs!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 19, 2015, 03:45:50 PM »

Everyone looks and sound GREAT in this clip...can't wait for the whole special! Wish we had David on it...and Mike...and Bruce  LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx