gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:22:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: in my room - german version  (Read 8684 times)
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 06:24:18 AM »

Assume In My Room was the only song they cut in German? Brad implied more but surely they would have surfaced by now if Boyd & Linett Invetigations had turned anything up?
So the project must have been scrapped at an early stage - if a German language release was really intended  they would have needed a B-side.
They could have used one of the instrumental tracks off of the first three albums as the B-side.  The precedent had already been set with the "Spirit of America" / "Boogie Woodie" KFWB promotional 45.

Lee
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2014, 08:37:16 AM »

And as the Beach Boys didn't have a longer German stint before as the Beatles had, their pronunciation is very hard to understand, you have to really concentrate to get what they sing. No way that would have been a hit.

It seems that whenever Brian tried to sing in a different language he never even bothered to get the pronunciation right. Just listen to the "adieu" in 'Surf's Up' and the Spanish words in 'Mexican Girl'.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2014, 09:20:40 AM »

And as the Beach Boys didn't have a longer German stint before as the Beatles had, their pronunciation is very hard to understand, you have to really concentrate to get what they sing. No way that would have been a hit.

It seems that whenever Brian tried to sing in a different language he never even bothered to get the pronunciation right. Just listen to the "adieu" in 'Surf's Up' and the Spanish words in 'Mexican Girl'.
Not to mention "At My Window".

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2014, 09:35:36 AM »

Not to mention "At My Window".

Whoever wrote down "fuhnetr" for Brian failed to explain what he meant with "uh".

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2014, 09:49:36 AM »

Well, somebody (or somebodies) who spoke German well probably heard the interpretation and suggested to Brian that it wasn't quite good enough for release. Brian probably thought it was too much trouble after all to get it perfect and gave up on it. I admire him giving it a try. For somebody who was doing an entire song which wasn't in their native language, it still sounded pretty good.

Not sure what you meant on your last post, Lee.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2014, 10:29:17 PM »

He means they could have picked one of the many instrumentals recorded at the time for use as a b-side, had the decided to release it back then. Like "Boogie Woodie" or "The Rocking Surfer".

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2014, 06:04:26 AM »

He means they could have picked one of the many instrumentals recorded at the time for use as a b-side, had the decided to release it back then. Like "Boogie Woodie" or "The Rocking Surfer".
Correct.  They didn't necessarily need to record two songs in German -- just release an instrumental on the b-side.

Lee
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 02:17:45 PM »

Correct.  They didn't necessarily need to record two songs in German -- just release an instrumental on the b-side.

Lee
To compete with The Beatles they would have had to.

Watson, did you hear this?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx