gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:56:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Busy Doin' Nothin'  (Read 9546 times)
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2014, 08:03:52 PM »

courtesy of Judd *and Bubbly Waves

Shocked

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 10:30:39 PM »

Actually, I have nice thing to say about the song - I like the lyrics. Giving directions to house in Bel Air was really creative for the time, jolly good. but most of all, I care about the flexibility, the way words sound it's very catchy & fit the rhythm. There was a thread talking about how Brian is the worst lyricist or some such. I beg to differ.

Ha! 1st time I take lyrics over the melody.<< is this what you call 20/20 hindsight?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 10:57:39 PM »

My favorite song on that album. Maybe my favorite post Pet Sounds 60s beach boy song. I agree its a fascinating look at Brian's "scrambled" thought process at the time, as well as his sincerity about it. It's not trying to be a "pocket symphony" like a lot of the songs of the previous two years, but it is.

I think Friends and Wild Honey are somewhat flawed albums, but the highlights from each are great. I think if you combined them somehow, and had the Boys finished Cant Wait Too Long, you'd have a really perfect follow up to Pet Sounds, but done in the more laid back "back to basics" style that was popular in '68. If anyone follows me on this  Razz
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:01:19 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2015, 01:10:11 AM »

… I agree its a fascinating look at Brian's "scrambled" thought process at the time …

Hmm… I don't count it a scrambled thinking, just how a rich laid-back innocent young guy might behave if he had time on his hands and nothin on his plate… like "I'd Love Just Once to See You".

It's why I keep buying Lotto tickets Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2015, 02:13:23 AM »

The way Brian holds the note in the bv's ...awesome
Marilyn is great on it too.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2015, 03:00:08 AM »

Steve Hoffman has this to say about the song:

"Geez, that song drives me nuts. Typical writer's block nonsense, IMO..

I talked to Brian Wilson over lunch at Jerry's Deli once about that song (he brought it up). He said it was "typical writer's block" nonsense as well!

We talked about Jack Kerouac and about how he couldn't write any more when he stopped doing neat stuff and became famous. Brian could relate.

Don't tell Brian you think this song is one of his greatest achievements, I think he would be appalled.

I like the music and stuff though. It's very catchy.

Sometimes, as Sigie Freud said, a Banana is just a Banana...

Brian needed a song for the album and he was having a very hard time trying to write anything. So, he wrote about what he did that day: Got up, peed, ate some Cocoa Puffs, etc.

It worked but the "higher meaning" is just a Banana.

Funny, it's one of the few songs from that album besides the title track that I play on a regular basis.

I personally think the lyrics work better as a straight poem. Very "beat". Imagine if Lawrence Ferlinghetti was reciting.."

Grin
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2015, 03:16:57 AM »

I talked to Brian Wilson over lunch at Jerry's Deli once about that song (he brought it up). He said it was "typical writer's block" nonsense as well!

We talked about Jack Kerouac and about how he couldn't write any more when he stopped doing neat stuff and became famous. Brian could relate.

Don't tell Brian you think this song is one of his greatest achievements, I think he would be appalled.

Brian needed a song for the album and he was having a very hard time trying to write anything. So, he wrote about what he did that day: Got up, peed, ate some Cocoa Puffs, etc.

Funny, it's one of the few songs from that album besides the title track that I play on a regular basis.

I personally think the lyrics work better as a straight poem. Very "beat". Imagine if Lawrence Ferlinghetti was reciting.."

Grin

But that's what's so cool about it! It's not trying to make some grand sweeping statement on life or just another song about some girl. Its unique and honest. Perhaps an understated expression of loneliness and apathy. It may not be his most ambitious song, but it definitely works in its own way. Certainly better than something like Revolution 9 that's trying WAY too hard to be edgy and deep.

It's kinda like Love You. Not trying to be this amazing piece of art or super commercial blockbuster. Just Brian making the music he wanted to. 

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2015, 04:21:12 AM »

Grin

But that's what's so cool about it! It's not trying to make some grand sweeping statement on life or just another song about some girl. Its unique and honest. Perhaps an understated expression of loneliness and apathy. It may not be his most ambitious song, but it definitely works in its own way. Certainly better than something like Revolution 9 that's trying WAY too hard to be edgy and deep.

It's kinda like Love You. Not trying to be this amazing piece of art or super commercial blockbuster. Just Brian making the music he wanted to. 

Absolutely agree. It's Brian's own voice, with no real outside assistance. Its beauty is in its simplicity, its innocence, the unwitting understatement. If this is the "idiot savant" that Lorren Daro discussed in his thread recently, then give me more. It might not be "high art" but in its own way it transcends that to be all the more precious. An exquisity!

“We live in divisive times.”
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2015, 04:51:13 AM »

Plenty of artists are dismissive of some of their best work. They CANNOT be objective. It has nothing to do at times
with the quality of the piece. Kurt Cobain hated Smells like teen Spirit. Tchaikovsky was dismissive of The Nutcracker Suite.
Degas was hardly ever satisfied with anything and I won't even start with how critical Lennon was with some of his best work so I don't care that Brian Wilson felt so ho hum about Busy Doin' Nothing.  The majority rules that it's a very fine song.  Razz
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2015, 08:04:43 AM »

I think Busy Doin' Nothin' is a classic. The music is very intelligent and moving and a rare Bossa Nova excursion for Brian and the lyrics are a work of innocent genius. There's no songs like it, it's one of a kind.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2015, 10:23:08 AM »

To me BDN is really classic Brian Wilson thinking; he takes something that might be mundane and boring or inconsequential to most people and turns it into something beautiful and interesting. Part of his genius is looking at the world in a very unique way and exclusive way. I Went to Sleep and At My Window also come to mind pretty quickly .
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2015, 02:14:27 PM »

Um... I think "AMW" is largely Alan's work, based (loosely) on "Raspberries, Strawberries".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2015, 02:30:04 PM »

I don't have a deep appreciation for it in a strictly musical sense.  It's good, but I don't see it as a masterpiece.

With that said, though, the best thing about the song has always been to me that he gives you directions to his house.  That alone makes it a "Brianism".  It's one of those things you can list that makes Brian such a special person.  The conversation goes like this:

"Yeah, Brian was amazing.  He did so many crazy things... nobody else was quite like this guy.  Here, lemme give you a few examples:

1. He wrote a song called "A Day in the Life of a Tree", about being a Tree.
2. He called everybody out to the airport in the middle of the night one time, to take pictures of them for a photo shoot.  All the pictures show a bunch of sleepy people standing at the airport looking slightly annoyed.
3. He once answered a question about whether or not he still had sex, by saying "Twice a day; every day"

486. He wrote a song once called "Busy Doin' Nothing" where the hook is him explaining all the turns you have to make to get to his house"

Sort of - if you followed those directions to his house, you'd never get there. Trust me...no bumpy road - it was Bel-Air.  Even if he meant the BH home, it didn't fit that description other than a few left turns (both places), depending on where you were coming from.  He didn't need thousands of people at his house.  He's not an idiot.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2015, 02:51:32 PM »

Someone once told me there's a bit in the middle missing.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2015, 03:10:10 PM »

Like, part of the song? That would be the second song on the album like that (see: Meant for You).

BDN is one of my favorite songs. If Brian is indeed dismissive of it because it was 'tossed off' , it just backs up my opinion that his allegedly 'tossed off' songs are the indicators of his true genius even more than Pet Sounds and Smile were. They were brilliant, and had lots of hard work put into it. Brian gets up, smokes a joint or five, and writes a song in between commercial breaks while watching Bewitched, and writes a better song than most of his contemporaries. To me, the latter is more impressive. It's one of the reasons why I'm glad Brian is writing more lyrics than at any point save 1976-1977. 

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2015, 03:43:27 PM »

Like, part of the song? That would be the second song on the album like that (see: Meant for You).

BDN is one of my favorite songs. If Brian is indeed dismissive of it because it was 'tossed off' , it just backs up my opinion that his allegedly 'tossed off' songs are the indicators of his true genius even more than Pet Sounds and Smile were. They were brilliant, and had lots of hard work put into it. Brian gets up, smokes a joint or five, and writes a song in between commercial breaks while watching Bewitched, and writes a better song than most of his contemporaries. To me, the latter is more impressive. It's one of the reasons why I'm glad Brian is writing more lyrics than at any point save 1976-1977. 

No, my bad - part of the directions.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2015, 04:21:12 PM »

Ahhh...

A song like this could never be made today, post Google Earth

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2015, 05:14:40 PM »

Just for a bit of idle trivia, the Scottish surrealist poet Ivor Cutler once printed directions to his home on one of his old album jackets. I believe a few people went around and he made them tea, IIRC.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2015, 09:52:24 PM »

Not really a bad song on Friends save one.  Too jarring and out of place.  No need to mention which one.  It's obvious.

I always loved Busy Doin' Nothin'  ... from the first listen right up 'til now.  Great album.  At THAT time...after Pet Sounds...it was my runaway favourite.  I wore out 2 vinyl copies and one on cd.  How?  Easy.  I was busy...doin' nothin'...and doin' 'it' really, REALLY well. Cool Guy 

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2015, 01:33:22 AM »

Not really a bad song on Friends save one.  Too jarring and out of place.  No need to mention which one.  It's obvious.

That's Brian's way of saying "Gotcha!"

"It's good, it's good, it's good, it's good, it's good..."
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:37:00 AM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx