gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:20:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Busy Doin' Nothin'  (Read 9507 times)
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2014, 03:05:12 PM »

Man. Really of one Brian's underrated masterpieces. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 10:42:07 PM »

I don't have a deep appreciation for it in a strictly musical sense.  It's good, but I don't see it as a masterpiece.

With that said, though, the best thing about the song has always been to me that he gives you directions to his house.  That alone makes it a "Brianism".  It's one of those things you can list that makes Brian such a special person.  The conversation goes like this:

"Yeah, Brian was amazing.  He did so many crazy things... nobody else was quite like this guy.  Here, lemme give you a few examples:

1. He wrote a song called "A Day in the Life of a Tree", about being a Tree.
2. He called everybody out to the airport in the middle of the night one time, to take pictures of them for a photo shoot.  All the pictures show a bunch of sleepy people standing at the airport looking slightly annoyed.
3. He once answered a question about whether or not he still had sex, by saying "Twice a day; every day"

486. He wrote a song once called "Busy Doin' Nothing" where the hook is him explaining all the turns you have to make to get to his house"

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 11:36:14 PM »

It's a great song with appeal beyond "just" listening;a personal favourite that moves my otherwise cold hearted public persona - is that a tenny little tear welling in the corner of my left eye whenever Brian sharpens up his pencil and writes a letter to his friend? No, I've just been cutting onions @ the same time...

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 12:47:40 AM »

It's a great song with appeal beyond "just" listening;a personal favourite that moves my otherwise cold hearted public persona - is that a tenny little tear welling in the corner of my left eye whenever Brian sharpens up his pencil and writes a letter to his friend? No, I've just been cutting onions @ the same time...

Cheesy

I agree the song is strangely moving. Absolutely love Brian's singing on Friends, it sounds both relaxed and very expressive.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 12:52:42 PM »

It's a satisfying song for me. Smooth, breezy, happy...one of my favorites.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 06:37:21 PM »

I find the song sort of zen like.  Writing a song about the moments in his life.    Brian focusing on the  now and coupling that with the most gorgeous of  melodies and tasteful production.  after all, they WERE into transcendental meditation at the time ................. Wink.     I feel this aspect of friends has been overlooked
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »

For me, It's a perfect song.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 08:27:44 PM »

One of my favorites! Brian writing directions to his house in a song, like when he wanted to write song about getting dressed quickly. GENIUS!!

Cook pork throughly
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 12:48:33 AM »

I like this song cause it reminds me a lot of me. Pretending like I have a lot of important things to take care of while really I'm just sitting around getting loaded acting like the things I have to take care of matter more than they actually do.

THESE THINGS WERE SO SCRAMBLED IT WAS SUCH A HOT STICKY DAY AND I FORGOT THIS NUMBER I WAS SUPPOSED TO REMEMBER.

Then I smoked more hash.

No mas, por favor.
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 04:44:02 AM »

I LOVE this song.  When I listen to it for some reason I zero in on the bass .  What a bass line ! ! !
 It's a very smooth, intelligent groove.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 05:34:25 AM »

I want a song about Johnny Carson getting dressed quickly while he gives directions to his house to an ambulance because his wife is giving birth to a brand new baby boy. But he's a little upset because she hasn't baked him a pie in awhile...
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 08:53:46 AM »

I want a song about Johnny Carson getting dressed quickly while he gives directions to his house to an ambulance because his wife is giving birth to a brand new baby boy. But he's a little upset because she hasn't baked him a pie in awhile...

LOL LOL LOL
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 09:41:57 AM »

Busy Doin' Nothin' is one of the best productions on the Friends album.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 11:49:49 AM »

Made my day  LOL
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 03:06:04 PM »

An unexpected highlight on Friends, disarming in the honesty of the lyrics and how they reflect Brian's life and thought processes at the time.  Beautifully arranged, really a jazz tune more than a pop song, and the vocal is flawless.  It reminds me of Good Morning Good Morning by Lennon - that song also was a song about his everyday life and his being busy doin nothing but you can feel  Lennon's discontent and implied indictment of what he considered a boring and restrictive married life.  Brian is much less ambiguous, simply detailing events in his day with perhaps some unease at not being able to reach his friend on the phone.  One of his top 20 songs IMO!
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 04:32:57 PM »

Born out of jazz and a samba beat, but played most often on nylon string guitar =  Bossa Nova.

I love this song dearly.  When I'm listening to this album, I can convince myself it is the Beach Boys' best.  But then I put on Pet Sounds or Sunflower and it's the best.  Them boys made some great records.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 04:33:52 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 05:00:16 PM »

When Brian sings "wrote a letter to my friennnnnnd", he sings with such longing in his voice, that it totally takes the song to the next level for me. Love love love this tune.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 05:25:19 PM »

The lyrics during the Friends era were incredible - if just for their simplistic nature.

"I talked your folks out of making you cut off your hair"
"And someday I'll put my son on my knee"
"She cures people with her hands"

Even Dennis/Kalinich's contributions have a straightforward nature: "Be still and know you are"

It's what makes Friends charming beyond belief. It puts you right in these situations and makes you forget where you are....the perfect 'mellow out' album. I hope that one day a boxset of Friends becomes available for purchase. This needs to be a thing:

courtesy of Judd *and Bubbly Waves
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:20:10 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 05:29:34 PM »

capitol records pls

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 06:25:43 PM »

Definitely my favorite song on this album.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 07:05:34 PM »

courtesy of Judd

*cough* and bubbly waves
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:08:51 PM by The Unremarkable Bubbly Waves » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 07:19:37 PM »

courtesy of Judd

*cough* and bubbly waves

And Bubbly Waves - forgot you worked on those too. Wonderful mockups, should be blueprints for any future Capitol boxset releases.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 08:36:23 PM »

Shocked

I want so much for this to exist.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2014, 02:45:19 AM »

Saw this posted on Ed Roachs FB page (well via little bird) yesterday. Cool version with Paul Mertens - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwjOYdi3GS0&list=UUOIxgXc8KLJzw9BOGA6FWyA

RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 07:25:14 AM »

^^ apparently that band covers the entire Friends LP and a bunch of 20/20 stuff live! They're amazing and might be the best vocal group doing BB tunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSE_9k_W68Y (Friends)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4JlFKtVY_Y# (I Went To Sleep)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mb6d4LFuoQ# (Kiss Me Baby)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:32:47 AM by RONDEMON » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx