gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:01:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "God Only Knows" on NBC's "The Voice"  (Read 6011 times)
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2014, 06:08:27 AM »

"God Only Knows" performed on NBC's "The Voice" on Monday, November 10.  Pretty faithful except the break -- which is rare for a show that rewards vocal acrobatics.  The judges gave him a standing ovation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fvk4qKqlZHg

According to Nielsen, the show won its time slot with a rating/share of 3.2/9 -- which means that 11.48 million viewers were exposed to Brian's music.

Lee
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 06:13:17 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 06:55:04 AM »

Really nice performance. Very faithful to Carl's rendition initially, then doing some interesting (in a good way) vocal paths in the break and the end more like Elton John's take on the song & BBC version.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 07:36:29 AM »

I really enjoyed his take on the song. He kept fairly true to the original and I agree that what he did change worked for his arrangement. Now, some of the comments below the video on the other hand are ridiculous. Probably ripped more in that thread than I have ever read in my lifetime. But then again, I don't really like too much music being made these days, either.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 08:48:38 AM »

Thank you for posting that video! I do not watch any of the voice competition shows, for a variety of reasons musical and otherwise, so I appreciate the tip to a great performance like this. The guy nailed it, he'd get my vote.

I happen to think one can see the decline of American popular culture not only on display but crystallized perfectly through the YouTube comments section on videos like this. It brings home the fact that too many viewers and observers of a certain age seem to be absolutely clueless, lazy, and unappreciative of *anything* beyond their own myopic opinions of what is good. The same people who follow Kim Kardashian's every move must think popular music originated in 1997 with the boy bands, Britney, and other such fluff. It's maddening. Some of the comments suggest the guy blew it because he didn't sing something with excessive vocal gymnastics...to me that would be like saying a guitar solo was no good because the guy didn't shred a million notes super-fast, tap and whammy-bar every phrase, and "show off" but instead played a musically solid solo. It also made me laugh in a sarcastic way to see the comments about picking an "old" or an unknown song...because someone 19 years old doesn't know God Only Knows, this singer should not have sung it? I knew it was downhill when one poster tried to suggest something about Gavin DeGraw's music for a modern sound that would have been better....all I say to that is "What?"

Great clip, great performance...the guy blew the other usual crop of Mariah Carey clones and vocal gymnasts out of the water by singing a classic song with understated love and respect for the audience and the song itself. The others could learn a lesson while they practice their diva routines. Sometimes it isn't "all about me" when it comes to performing.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 08:51:34 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 09:21:05 AM »

Even the slightest subtlety is lost on the younger listeners...That said, I didn't appreciate my Dad's jazz records, or the fact that I grew up in a city where some of the best jazz players alive did free concerts at the Musician's Union.  I grew up with the Beach Boys and loved them.  Some of those commenting are pathetically ignorant in their assessment of GOK.  So was I when I listened to my Dad's music.  They'll get over it if they really learn to love music...or not if they just like the screaming competition of it all.

The ESA landed a spacecraft on a speeding comet and the next day it was totally forgotten because Kim Kardashian's butt was oiled and photographed.  And the US voters either ignored the election or put in the people who bankrupted their State recently and the US during the last administration.  Then they voted FOR the policies that the people they elected are vehemently against.  We can't expect any kind of intelligence from the general public.  I frankly got excited about the one's who knew what they were listening to...

The good news is the kid did a respectful, quite nice version of a very tough song to sing and that some people appreciated it - just not the ones who love making snarky comments on public websites.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 09:56:36 AM »

Even the slightest subtlety is lost on the younger listeners...That said, I didn't appreciate my Dad's jazz records, or the fact that I grew up in a city where some of the best jazz players alive did free concerts at the Musician's Union.  I grew up with the Beach Boys and loved them.  Some of those commenting are pathetically ignorant in their assessment of GOK.  So was I when I listened to my Dad's music.  They'll get over it if they really learn to love music...or not if they just like the screaming competition of it all.

The ESA landed a spacecraft on a speeding comet and the next day it was totally forgotten because Kim Kardashian's butt was oiled and photographed.  And the US voters either ignored the election or put in the people who bankrupted their State recently and the US during the last administration.  Then they voted FOR the policies that the people they elected are vehemently against.  We can't expect any kind of intelligence from the general public.  I frankly got excited about the one's who knew what they were listening to...

The good news is the kid did a respectful, quite nice version of a very tough song to sing and that some people appreciated it - just not the ones who love making snarky comments on public websites.

I don't know if it's not appreciating the music as much as a total disregard for anything that's not blasted at these demographics on a regular basis in terms of what is "in"...not what's good, not what to like, but how to fit in with your demographic. It's gotten to the point of absurdity, when someone like a Kardashian walks out of a building and random people standing there start screaming and applauding and even crying...for what reason? Are they that captivated by Ms. Kardashian and her ilk, or are they in some way programmed to react that way when a celebrity walks out of a building and into a car on a random afternoon?

The ESA landing a craft on a comet this week is one of the most amazing feats of science and engineering I think as has ever been accomplished. Simply incredible. The power of being able to think, analyze, comprehend, and apply levels of knowledge decades beyond the present, and find a way to literally do the impossible, is amazing.

And as mentioned, Kim K's butt in a magazine was the big news, but beyond that how about what happened to one of the scientists/engineers on the project? It is one of the most absurd things I've seen. Here is a guy who gives a TV interview while wearing some kind of a garish shirt. Keep in mind, while Kanye and Naomi and Paris are busy keeping up with what to wear and who to be seen wearing it with, this guy just *landed a freakin' camera on a speeding comet in outer space*, and if the how's and why's of fashion etiquette are lost on him, or he may not be hip to what is appropriate attire when giving a TV interview versus working on astrophysics and advanced engineering, I think his time has been much better spent on the science. The type of jacket or shirt some A-list celeb wears tomorrow might make headlines but by next week it will be forgotten, and compare that to landing a spacecraft with a camera on a comet.

So this scientist wearing this shirt, the images on the shirt offended some people. And they shamed him via social media, to the point where it became a story in some outlets reported alongside the actual comet landing. It got to the point where the guy was being shamed enough that he - at a press conference about the comet project - actually broke down into sobbing as he apologized for wearing that shirt.

All I say is this: Priorities, big picture.

Modern culture is screwy. It's messed up. People slam a singer's musically solid performance because the song is from 1966 and not modern, ignoring the performance itself which was terrific. He'd have been better off 'showcasing' his vocals on something modern instead of singing the bejesus out of a classic song, they wrote. A scientist who helped make possible a one in a trillion miracle shot by landing on a comet instead becomes the headline and object of public outrage for a shirt he wore which some found offensive, to the point where he's reduced to tears in an apology. And Kim K's butt shuts down the internet.

The best comedy writers can't write this stuff.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 11:59:17 AM »

Did I hear someone ask for the Pickle Brothers?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 03:46:20 PM »

My wife watches The Voice, and GOK is our wedding song, so she taped it for me. I gotta say, I thought it was really good.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 11:11:07 PM »

The performance has the same fault in it a lot of performers have, he's slightly disconnected from the message of the song.  Listen to it again; he's just singing words on a piece of paper.  He sings well, has a great voice, and the bridge was a cool interlude.... but the song lacks the passion a truly great singer gives it. 

That's not a slam on the kid, he sings well, he just isn't thinking about what the song means, or the message of the song. 

Brian usually sings it like sh*t.  Check out this great video of him a few years ago, though, doing it.  For whatever reason, that night he really did an awesome job.  Notice he changes some of the phrasing and ignores the melody in a couple parts, and instead emphasizes what the words mean and how you would naturally say it in a conversation.  So instead of "Luuuvvvvv uuuuuuu" it's "LoveYou" like you would say it to somebody.  Instead of "With ouuuuuttt uuuuuuu" it's "Without You."   It's a nuance, sure... but it shows an understanding of the meaning of the song, a connection to the message being conveyed.  In a love song (Like God Only Knows) there can be no more important aspect to the performance. 

To me that will always be a better performance, when a singer sells the song and not just the melody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX7znc-bhDs
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 11:23:25 PM »

I don't know if it's not appreciating the music as much as a total disregard for anything that's not blasted at these demographics on a regular basis in terms of what is "in"...not what's good, not what to like, but how to fit in with your demographic. It's gotten to the point of absurdity, when someone like a Kardashian walks out of a building and random people standing there start screaming and applauding and even crying...for what reason? Are they that captivated by Ms. Kardashian and her ilk, or are they in some way programmed to react that way when a celebrity walks out of a building and into a car on a random afternoon?

The ESA landing a craft on a comet this week is one of the most amazing feats of science and engineering I think as has ever been accomplished. Simply incredible. The power of being able to think, analyze, comprehend, and apply levels of knowledge decades beyond the present, and find a way to literally do the impossible, is amazing.

And as mentioned, Kim K's butt in a magazine was the big news, but beyond that how about what happened to one of the scientists/engineers on the project? It is one of the most absurd things I've seen. Here is a guy who gives a TV interview while wearing some kind of a garish shirt. Keep in mind, while Kanye and Naomi and Paris are busy keeping up with what to wear and who to be seen wearing it with, this guy just *landed a freakin' camera on a speeding comet in outer space*, and if the how's and why's of fashion etiquette are lost on him, or he may not be hip to what is appropriate attire when giving a TV interview versus working on astrophysics and advanced engineering, I think his time has been much better spent on the science. The type of jacket or shirt some A-list celeb wears tomorrow might make headlines but by next week it will be forgotten, and compare that to landing a spacecraft with a camera on a comet.

So this scientist wearing this shirt, the images on the shirt offended some people. And they shamed him via social media, to the point where it became a story in some outlets reported alongside the actual comet landing. It got to the point where the guy was being shamed enough that he - at a press conference about the comet project - actually broke down into sobbing as he apologized for wearing that shirt.

Modern culture is screwy. It's messed up. People slam a singer's musically solid performance because the song is from 1966 and not modern, ignoring the performance itself which was terrific. He'd have been better off 'showcasing' his vocals on something modern instead of singing the bejesus out of a classic song, they wrote. A scientist who helped make possible a one in a trillion miracle shot by landing on a comet instead becomes the headline and object of public outrage for a shirt he wore which some found offensive, to the point where he's reduced to tears in an apology. And Kim K's butt shuts down the internet.

The best thing you said was "Priorities; Big Picture". 

You should never assume you know why other people do the things they do.  Kim Kardashian's ass is of no importance to me, I heard there were pictures but I haven't went to look because I don't know what I'd do with that much ass. 

However, you don't know why people are so fascinated by that.  If you step back a few feet and think about it, there's several reasons, that are honorable, that people could be so concerned about Kim's ass.

1. She's helped break the stereotype that guys like me subscribe to; namely, that I like thinner women.  She's not thin, she has a huge ass, and has risen to the absolute peak of ass-appreciation.  You can't appreciate somebody's ass more than people appreciate Kim Kardashian's ass.  It's all people ever talk about.  So she's broke down some walls with that mighty ass of hers; a lot of guys like bigger women like that, and she's become such a huge star that it's now mainstream, attractive, and o.k. for women with bigger bodies to feel good about themselves.  Many of the people fascinated by her ass are because they have a big ass themselves; so in that regard, isn't she a symbol of something good? 

2. Many people would argue with it, but there is definately a certain subsect of society that feels that a woman choosing to show her nude body in public is an act of sexual freedom, it's a feminist, women's rights statement.  You may not agree with that, I may not agree with that, but many people do.  No doubt there are thousands, tens of thousands of feminists who see it as empowering that Kim Kardashian is so at peace with her body that she's willing to show it off as nature created it; completely nude for all the world to see.

3. Ms. Kardashian is a very fit woman.  She's in great shape, and just had a baby.  She is an example to mothers of how having a child doesn't meant that you can't be sexy, you can't be attractive, you can't get your 'figure' back that you had before you had your child.  Many people likely appreciate her for that reason and find these pictures empowering.

4. A lot of men probably like naked women, and would love to see a pretty naked woman.  Kim Kardashian is certainly pretty and in the picture she's naked.  This brings a lot of men enjoyment, and therefore I would imagine a lot of men that saw the picture had a little bit better day because of it.

The whole world does things for a million reasons, you should never assume your reasoning is right and the things you hold dear to you are more important that what other people hold dear to them. 

BTW, I actually AGREE with you on all the things you mentioned, I feel the same way.  You can't just assume somebody else is a dumbass because they'd rather look at Kim's ass then the comet landing, however.  Kim's ass may have significance to their life, where the comet landing doesn't. 
Scott
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 01:17:50 AM »

Ron gets my vote for post of ALL TIME
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 03:16:08 AM »

2. Many people would argue with it, but there is definately a certain subsect of society that feels that a woman choosing to show her nude body in public is an act of sexual freedom, it's a feminist, women's rights statement.  You may not agree with that, I may not agree with that, but many people do.  No doubt there are thousands, tens of thousands of feminists who see it as empowering that Kim Kardashian is so at peace with her body that she's willing to show it off as nature created it; completely nude for all the world to see.

Didn't she have surgery on that booty?

Enjoyed your post though.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 05:47:41 AM »

Even the slightest subtlety is lost on the younger listeners...That said, I didn't appreciate my Dad's jazz records, or the fact that I grew up in a city where some of the best jazz players alive did free concerts at the Musician's Union.  I grew up with the Beach Boys and loved them.  Some of those commenting are pathetically ignorant in their assessment of GOK.  So was I when I listened to my Dad's music.  They'll get over it if they really learn to love music...or not if they just like the screaming competition of it all.

The ESA landed a spacecraft on a speeding comet and the next day it was totally forgotten because Kim Kardashian's butt was oiled and photographed.  And the US voters either ignored the election or put in the people who bankrupted their State recently and the US during the last administration.  Then they voted FOR the policies that the people they elected are vehemently against.  We can't expect any kind of intelligence from the general public.  I frankly got excited about the one's who knew what they were listening to...

The best comedy writers can't write this stuff.  Grin

You should never assume you know why other people do the things they do.  Kim Kardashian's ass is of no importance to me, I heard there were pictures but I haven't went to look because I don't know what I'd do with that much ass.  

However, you don't know why people are so fascinated by that.  If you step back a few feet and think about it, there's several reasons, that are honorable, that people could be so concerned about Kim's ass.

1. She's helped break the stereotype that guys like me subscribe to; namely, that I like thinner women.  She's not thin, she has a huge ass, and has risen to the absolute peak of ass-appreciation.  You can't appreciate somebody's ass more than people appreciate Kim Kardashian's ass.  It's all people ever talk about.  So she's broke down some walls with that mighty ass of hers; a lot of guys like bigger women like that, and she's become such a huge star that it's now mainstream, attractive, and o.k. for women with bigger bodies to feel good about themselves.  Many of the people fascinated by her ass are because they have a big ass themselves; so in that regard, isn't she a symbol of something good?  

2. Many people would argue with it, but there is definately a certain subsect of society that feels that a woman choosing to show her nude body in public is an act of sexual freedom, it's a feminist, women's rights statement.  You may not agree with that, I may not agree with that, but many people do.  No doubt there are thousands, tens of thousands of feminists who see it as empowering that Kim Kardashian is so at peace with her body that she's willing to show it off as nature created it; completely nude for all the world to see.

3. Ms. Kardashian is a very fit woman.  She's in great shape, and just had a baby.  She is an example to mothers of how having a child doesn't meant that you can't be sexy, you can't be attractive, you can't get your 'figure' back that you had before you had your child.  Many people likely appreciate her for that reason and find these pictures empowering.

4. A lot of men probably like naked women, and would love to see a pretty naked woman.  Kim Kardashian is certainly pretty and in the picture she's naked.  This brings a lot of men enjoyment, and therefore I would imagine a lot of men that saw the picture had a little bit better day because of it.

The whole world does things for a million reasons, you should never assume your reasoning is right and the things you hold dear to you are more important that what other people hold dear to them.  

BTW, I actually AGREE with you on all the things you mentioned, I feel the same way.  You can't just assume somebody else is a dumbass because they'd rather look at Kim's ass then the comet landing, however.  Kim's ass may have significance to their life, where the comet landing doesn't.  

Ron, if you're going to reply with a quote and cite a post make sure you quote and post the right one. The only relevant thing you posted that I actually said was "Priorities; big picture" which I'm considering getting tattooed somewhere. Not that it matters much, but two separate people are quoted by you and you're basically replying to things I didn't say or write.

Also, in 1992 there was a song that sold several million copies, was on MTV all the time, and won some Grammy or something. The message: It was a twist on the same things Kim Kardashian is getting credit for according to your post.

Sir Mix-a-Lot, "Baby Got Back". With the immortal opening line "I like big butts and I cannot lie".  Grin

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:57:04 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 02:04:55 PM »

They said on the show that this was the first time any Beach Boys song had ever been performed which gets me to thinking about what other BBs songs might be reasonable to perform on a mainstream show such as this. I don't think you could get away with any of their fun in the sun type songs in this day and age, which narrows things down quite a bit. A few songs spring to mind though with the requisite drama and melody. What other songs do you think would work nowadays for a mainstream TV audience?
My thoughts:
Caroline No
Forever
The Warmth of the Sun
You Still Believe In Me (I notice I keep coming back to the timelessness of Pet Sounds)

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 02:08:35 PM »

WIBNTLA

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 06:14:49 PM »

They said on the show that this was the first time any Beach Boys song had ever been performed which gets me to thinking about what other BBs songs might be reasonable to perform on a mainstream show such as this. I don't think you could get away with any of their fun in the sun type songs in this day and age, which narrows things down quite a bit. A few songs spring to mind though with the requisite drama and melody. What other songs do you think would work nowadays for a mainstream TV audience?
My thoughts:
Caroline No
Forever
The Warmth of the Sun
You Still Believe In Me (I notice I keep coming back to the timelessness of Pet Sounds)

Those shows push oversinging and vocal acrobatics over good vocals, so if someone wanted to do a BB song to show off their voice and their range and actually impress, my first thought is Wild Honey.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 09:20:42 PM »

You'd have to get somebody with a really great voice that could really sell a melody, then choose a song with a fantastic melody to sing the song as it was originally intended. 

If you got creative enough, you could do any Beach Boys song, but it would have to be vastly different than the original.  If you picked a song famous enough... California Girls, for instance, you could completely change it up and make the melody however you wanted or however you were comfortable singing it, and it would still retain it's commercial appeal but get you big marks for being 'brave' enough to change it.  Why more people don't do this, I'll never know.

For instance, here's a guy doing Paula Abdul's "Straight Up", his own way, on American Idol.  Really nothing special, but since he changed it around a little bit, he looks like a genius. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pB3gAjivrY

You could do similar with ANY Beach Boys song and knock it out of the park. 

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 09:25:34 PM »

Even the slightest subtlety is lost on the younger listeners...That said, I didn't appreciate my Dad's jazz records, or the fact that I grew up in a city where some of the best jazz players alive did free concerts at the Musician's Union.  I grew up with the Beach Boys and loved them.  Some of those commenting are pathetically ignorant in their assessment of GOK.  So was I when I listened to my Dad's music.  They'll get over it if they really learn to love music...or not if they just like the screaming competition of it all.

The ESA landed a spacecraft on a speeding comet and the next day it was totally forgotten because Kim Kardashian's butt was oiled and photographed.  And the US voters either ignored the election or put in the people who bankrupted their State recently and the US during the last administration.  Then they voted FOR the policies that the people they elected are vehemently against.  We can't expect any kind of intelligence from the general public.  I frankly got excited about the one's who knew what they were listening to...

The best comedy writers can't write this stuff.  Grin

You should never assume you know why other people do the things they do.  Kim Kardashian's ass is of no importance to me, I heard there were pictures but I haven't went to look because I don't know what I'd do with that much ass.  

However, you don't know why people are so fascinated by that.  If you step back a few feet and think about it, there's several reasons, that are honorable, that people could be so concerned about Kim's ass.

1. She's helped break the stereotype that guys like me subscribe to; namely, that I like thinner women.  She's not thin, she has a huge ass, and has risen to the absolute peak of ass-appreciation.  You can't appreciate somebody's ass more than people appreciate Kim Kardashian's ass.  It's all people ever talk about.  So she's broke down some walls with that mighty ass of hers; a lot of guys like bigger women like that, and she's become such a huge star that it's now mainstream, attractive, and o.k. for women with bigger bodies to feel good about themselves.  Many of the people fascinated by her ass are because they have a big ass themselves; so in that regard, isn't she a symbol of something good?  

2. Many people would argue with it, but there is definately a certain subsect of society that feels that a woman choosing to show her nude body in public is an act of sexual freedom, it's a feminist, women's rights statement.  You may not agree with that, I may not agree with that, but many people do.  No doubt there are thousands, tens of thousands of feminists who see it as empowering that Kim Kardashian is so at peace with her body that she's willing to show it off as nature created it; completely nude for all the world to see.

3. Ms. Kardashian is a very fit woman.  She's in great shape, and just had a baby.  She is an example to mothers of how having a child doesn't meant that you can't be sexy, you can't be attractive, you can't get your 'figure' back that you had before you had your child.  Many people likely appreciate her for that reason and find these pictures empowering.

4. A lot of men probably like naked women, and would love to see a pretty naked woman.  Kim Kardashian is certainly pretty and in the picture she's naked.  This brings a lot of men enjoyment, and therefore I would imagine a lot of men that saw the picture had a little bit better day because of it.

BTW, I actually AGREE with you on all the things you mentioned, I feel the same way.  You can't just assume somebody else is a dumbass because they'd rather look at Kim's ass then the comet landing, however.  Kim's ass may have significance to their life, where the comet landing doesn't.  

Ron, if you're going to reply with a quote and cite a post make sure you quote and post the right one. The only relevant thing you posted that I actually said was "Priorities; big picture" which I'm considering getting tattooed somewhere. Not that it matters much, but two separate people are quoted by you and you're basically replying to things I didn't say or write.

Also, in 1992 there was a song that sold several million copies, was on MTV all the time, and won some Grammy or something. The message: It was a twist on the same things Kim Kardashian is getting credit for according to your post.

Sir Mix-a-Lot, "Baby Got Back". With the immortal opening line "I like big butts and I cannot lie".  Grin

Oh stop taking yourself so seriously all the time.  You're a bore. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 10:28:13 PM »

Never would i have ever expected a post quoting Sir Mix a Lot would be considered 'too serious' LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 11:32:40 PM »

Not worth a new thread but has this version recorded 5 years ago but new to youtube and itunes been seen before? Seems to be an opportunity to get some sales after the recent high profile of the song.

Brian Wilson GOK's

http://youtu.be/CCYw3HrtXAQ
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:34:15 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 12:36:15 AM »

Oh stop taking yourself so seriously all the time.  You're a bore. 

And you're banned.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 01:52:26 AM »

<brain pop!>
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:44:50 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 04:13:20 AM »

Thank you for posting that video! I do not watch any of the voice competition shows, for a variety of reasons musical and otherwise, so I appreciate the tip to a great performance like this. The guy nailed it, he'd get my vote.

I happen to think one can see the decline of American popular culture not only on display but crystallized perfectly through the YouTube comments section on videos like this. It brings home the fact that too many viewers and observers of a certain age seem to be absolutely clueless, lazy, and unappreciative of *anything* beyond their own myopic opinions of what is good. The same people who follow Kim Kardashian's every move must think popular music originated in 1997 with the boy bands, Britney, and other such fluff. It's maddening. Some of the comments suggest the guy blew it because he didn't sing something with excessive vocal gymnastics...to me that would be like saying a guitar solo was no good because the guy didn't shred a million notes super-fast, tap and whammy-bar every phrase, and "show off" but instead played a musically solid solo. It also made me laugh in a sarcastic way to see the comments about picking an "old" or an unknown song...because someone 19 years old doesn't know God Only Knows, this singer should not have sung it? I knew it was downhill when one poster tried to suggest something about Gavin DeGraw's music for a modern sound that would have been better....all I say to that is "What?"

Great clip, great performance...the guy blew the other usual crop of Mariah Carey clones and vocal gymnasts out of the water by singing a classic song with understated love and respect for the audience and the song itself. The others could learn a lesson while they practice their diva routines. Sometimes it isn't "all about me" when it comes to performing.

remember that youtube is not representative of people in general. Mostly comments are done by muppets who have nothing better to do. Also, the people watching shows like this have a certain expectation and since GOK is not really what they expect but some crazy vocal flashing skills then you get the occasional youngster complaining. You can be happy with the thought that the Beach Boys are more widely respected now than ever. Young people know about the more artistic stuff to a greater extent than in the 90's for example.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 11:56:30 PM »

I had low expectations right before viewing the video. To my amazement, it was solid good. Minus the middle 8 & near the end, the vocal sounded very natural, like 2 & 2. He must be a PS fan. Fine song choice, either way.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2014, 12:41:28 AM »

Last night, on the UK's XFactor, some 16-legged boy band performed Elton's "Don't Let the Sun…" even with 16 voices they couldn't handle all the parts on the original, leaving it sounding half-empty and weak. Still, the judges described it as their best performance yet; and One Direction won one of these shows a year or two back, even though they all sing the same note In the same key in whatever they sing…

so why am I bothering my ass to moan!?!?!?!?  Rant over!!!!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:21:05 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx