gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:04:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: people that claim they dont care for the BBs..  (Read 6916 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2014, 12:15:48 PM »

I like LDC better than 409... but I have noticed that people who I have known who don't like them they don't like them because they call them "Surfing music"... I don't think they realize that they are more than just a surfing band..it's like the movie "American Graffiti" where they are listening to the Beach Boys in the car and the dude turns it off saying that he doesn't like "Surfing s#it" I think there are people with that same attitude like it's a lower form of music to them or something..I have an uncle who thinks they are a surfing band and once commented on how they aren't any different from the other surfing bands and that he doesn't like surf music.. so I think it's a matter of people not understanding their music..
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2014, 02:10:44 PM »

I've also heard the opposite. I know of people who don't like anything from Pet Sounds forward because they feel "the Beach Boys were just copying The Beatles" or they were trying to be artsy fartsy. In a weird way, that's retroactively affected the early stuff for them too ("they didn't even surf!!") and their entire career is dismissed as a fraud or something. That's bizarre but that mindset is out there.

With a career as long and varied as The Beach Boys there are bound to be parts of it that are annoying to people.

I remember playing "That's Why God Made The Radio" for my boss (a baby boomer with a Beatles fixation) and he laughed me out of the office. "You think that crap is actually good?" he asked.

I've also heard from more than one person that their "high voices" are a big turn off. For me (and presumably us) Brian's falsetto is a thing of beauty. For these other people it's a nails on a chalkboard.

Pretty much everyone agrees that Al sounds great after all thee years, however. 
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 03:01:04 PM »

I also think that people who don't like the bbs may not be aware of their varied catalog. If all you know of them is long tall Texan and little deuce coupe it might be understandable. Even I switch the station when those come on

You ought to swap it back because whatever's on the other channel is likely worse.  You're missing some good sh*t.  Little Deuce Coupe makes your sh*t list?  Really?  WTF is wrong with you?

I agree with Ian.

I have to question your entire musical taste, then.  Also I'll bet you're into fat chicks. 

Honestly, I don't get into debates on musical taste. Or the types of women we are into. Also, I hope it is understood that me calling people f***king morons was a joke. I said as much on the post. But I will dial down my jokes as well.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2014, 06:37:39 PM »

I just always figured that a lot of people are tone death.  It really explains why a lot of music is popular.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2014, 06:48:30 PM »

There are two kinds of music fans in this world:

1.Social (they tend to listen to whatever is hot at the time and is common among teens. But also people that just want music to dance to no matter how simple and cheesey. It doesn't make a difference to them if there's a watered down remake version of a track because the hook is still there)

2. Invested ( They appreciate good arrangements and music that touches the soul. They listen to what they like and moves them emotionally and don't care if it's a hit or cool. )

I don't think it's fair to say that they are number 1 if they don't care for the Beach Boys. In fact, many Beach Boys fans are in the social category. They like the hits, and they go to BB concerts wearing Hawaiian shirts and a beach ball. They take their restroom break when a song like All This is That is performed. Which if that's what they want to do, to each their own.

But I agree that music fans aren't aware of the BBs deeper cuts. A lot of them become fans when they do. Some don't. Because they are stupid f***king morons!!! Ha ha just Kidding.

You're right about this in part.   there are two types of music fans.  those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't.  Wink
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 04:59:54 PM »

Are unappreciative of music in general and when asked what they do listen to its always somethin AWFUL, anyone notice this?

No.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 05:56:48 PM »

I just always figured that a lot of people are tone death.  It really explains why a lot of music is popular.

??

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 08:07:10 PM »

Music is a highly personal and subjective experience. There's no wrong or right. I go with what resonates with my spirit, ignore those who don't understand, and don't make it my mission to convert them.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 02:30:16 AM »

No, why would you assume that? The Beach Boys are not the be-all end-all of popular music.

See, you're on the wrong board.....

Damn, didn't see blind devotion among the board rules. I'm primarily a music fan, the Beach Boys just happen to be one of my very favourite bands (on many days my absolute favourite). But there's a lot of music out there and many listeners, I wouldn't expect everybody to agree with me nor would I think any less of their musical tastes if they didn't.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 02:46:43 AM »

I think theres a lot of confusion here...any and every REAL music zealot as an appreciation for the BBs to some extent, seriously. Its VERY rare to find someone who claims to be into music that doesnt dig em. Theres a lotta charlatans out there, many dolts as far as the eye can see!
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 07:54:45 AM »

I think theres a lot of confusion here...any and every REAL music zealot as an appreciation for the BBs to some extent, seriously. Its VERY rare to find someone who claims to be into music that doesnt dig em. Theres a lotta charlatans out there, many dolts as far as the eye can see!

I see where you are coming from but disagree. It really is subjective and if people don't get Brian and the Beach Boys, so be it. Three huge names that bore me to death.... Hendrix, Dylan, Springsteen. Hendrix was a great guitarist but I can't stand his singing, Dylan a great poet but I cant stand his singing, Springsteen I just can't stand anything about.
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2014, 10:53:40 AM »

Not to be unkind but I think zealot is the appropriate word here.

There is an almost unbelievable amount of good things to experience in music and obsessions follow in all genres and styles. When I realized for instance that Classical music offered way more of the involved and sophisticated musical ideas than I could handle I stopped believing that the reason some people didn't like Pet Sounds or Smile is because it was too advanced. It is a small, small fraction of what people have done in music. That I could jaw about Pet Sounds without anywhere near the musical knowledge that discussing Debussy required was also a big plus. As much as I love a lot of Jazz, my lack of ability to truly understand the fundamental creative things happening also means I am less comfortable arguing this or that about Know What I Mean than anything with an easily identifiable cultural hook.

It isn't all relative of course. There is a unique emotional and aesthetic quality to Pet Sounds and to the time in which it originated. This is not about higher or lower or whatever else and if it IS a higher or lower, more or less sophisticated argument then the best of BW is well below anything done by those who did that classical stuff. This idea that BW or the BBs are these way in front musical geniuses, ignored by masses without the brain power to understand their sophisticated work is unfortunate and phony as all hell. They worked in a genre and they did good things in that genre. They did great pop music that was above and beyond a lot of pop music. They weren't the most versatile and they weren't the most innovative musicians to ever live but that is OK. Inside of their framework they did a lot of beautiful, brilliant things. To open up to the idea that there are people in a genre you cant stand who think you are CRAZY because you don't appreciate that a leader in that style has done meaningful things  is to become aware that being the sole voice of reason is only fun for so long. There are a lot of things to love and become obsessed about.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:56:47 AM by MugginsXO » Logged

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2014, 11:14:56 AM »

In my opinion Brian often dealt with the finer points of music which  sometimes resulted in staggeringly minimalistic music or music that dealt with some very subtle elements or music that was simply too sophisticated for the average ear. What blows my mind is that a lot of people have just the opposite viewpoint of Brian which is a result of not really sitting down to absorb the music properly or an inability to do so.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:17:04 AM by beatnickle » Logged
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2014, 10:15:53 PM »

Beatnickle I concur...it just.boggles.my mind how anyone could undermine ANY BBs effort from 63 to 73 cuz even tho there were other great groups NONE of em even came close, in that time frame.EVERY BBs album was solid, and no other group had that consistency...and the 8 or 10 orig beatles.albums from 64 to 69 werent perfect yet some claim they were...
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx