gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 08:57:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: people that claim they dont care for the BBs..  (Read 6949 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: November 14, 2014, 08:34:16 PM »

Are unappreciative of music in general and when asked what they do listen to its always somethin AWFUL, anyone notice this?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 10:20:38 PM »

no
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 02:54:04 AM »

I know quite some people who are very seriously into good quality music, but who don't care for The Beach Boys at all because it's just too soft and sweet for their taste. And that's perfectly fine. Different strokes for different folks.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 03:41:16 AM »

Steeping slightly sideways from the original question, I'm convinced that there's a fairly large number of people who listen to - or claim to listen to - certain artists & genres not because they actually like them but because they're currently hip to appreciate/name drop.

It's the only plausible explanation for some musically dire bands having any following at all.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 06:33:52 AM »

Are unappreciative of music in general and when asked what they do listen to its always somethin AWFUL, anyone notice this?

No.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 07:52:56 AM »

I also think that people who don't like the bbs may not be aware of their varied catalog. If all you know of them is long tall Texan and little deuce coupe it might be understandable. Even I switch the station when those come on
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 09:01:45 AM »

No, why would you assume that? The Beach Boys are not the be-all end-all of popular music.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 10:33:14 AM »

I also think that people who don't like the bbs may not be aware of their varied catalog. If all you know of them is long tall Texan and little deuce coupe it might be understandable. Even I switch the station when those come on

I think there are people who are aware of the varied catalog bus still don't care for it. I'll take an uncle on mine as an example. He's seriously into music (mostly blues, folk and classic rock), he used to own an awful lot of records and he gave the Beach Boys enough of a chance to find out that he in fact does like the Holland album quite a bit. But he's not into the other stuff at all. It's just not his style. And I get that.

There's a whole lot of music that I do recognize as brilliant, but that I still don't really care for personally. The Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Jimi Hendrix: I own their most important albums, I tried to get into them, I think I understand why other people like them so much, but it's simply not my cup of tea. Same with pretty much the entire blues and jazz genres. So how could I "blame" any serious music lover for not being able to "get" The Beach Boys?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 12:02:34 PM »

No, why would you assume that? The Beach Boys are not the be-all end-all of popular music.

See, you're on the wrong board.....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 10:32:46 PM »

There are two kinds of music fans in this world:

1.Social (they tend to listen to whatever is hot at the time and is common among teens. But also people that just want music to dance to no matter how simple and cheesey. It doesn't make a difference to them if there's a watered down remake version of a track because the hook is still there)

2. Invested ( They appreciate good arrangements and music that touches the soul. They listen to what they like and moves them emotionally and don't care if it's a hit or cool. )

I don't think it's fair to say that they are number 1 if they don't care for the Beach Boys. In fact, many Beach Boys fans are in the social category. They like the hits, and they go to BB concerts wearing Hawaiian shirts and a beach ball. They take their restroom break when a song like All This is That is performed. Which if that's what they want to do, to each their own.

But I agree that music fans aren't aware of the BBs deeper cuts. A lot of them become fans when they do. Some don't. Because they are stupid f***king morons!!! Ha ha just Kidding.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 10:34:30 PM by Magic Transistor Radio » Logged

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 10:35:23 PM »

You ought to swap it back because whatever's on the other channel is likely worse.  You're missing some good sh*t.  Little Deuce Coupe makes your sh*t list?  Really?  WTF is wrong with you?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 10:57:45 PM »

You ought to swap it back because whatever's on the other channel is likely worse.  You're missing some good sh*t.  Little Deuce Coupe makes your sh*t list?  Really?  WTF is wrong with you?

I agree with Ian. LDC might be one of the worst big hits by the Beach Boys. However, I'm not sure how many people immediately think of Long Tall Texan.

Most people think of Fun, Fun, Fun , Kokamo and Full House because they are f***king morons!!  Banana

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 11:12:53 PM »

I agree with Ian.

I have to question your entire musical taste, then.  Also I'll bet you're into fat chicks. 
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 04:47:25 AM »

I have found that once certain people have decided they don't like a band - be it the Beach Boys or otherwise - they'll automatically dismiss their music almost out of habit. I've a friend who's very into his music - albeit one of those who owns one album by every bloody artist rather than being really into anyone in particular - and he just will not give the BB's a chance. He says 'it's not my thing'. I recently put on Feel Flows and said 'see what you think' and he was pulling a face like i'd wiped sh*t under his nose literally within ten seconds of the song starting, yet he likes experimental bands, psychadelia, '70's music, etc. It's just become 'it's the BB's, I don't like it'. I imagine my going on endlessly about how wrong he is probably doesn't help... 
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 05:13:30 AM »

I have seen some discerning music people turned off by the insecurity of hardcore Beach Boys fans. This certainly included me as I was for whatever psychological reasons very attached to the narrative that the band were misunderstood, under-appreciated and definitely better than whatever other more critically and publicly adored outfit. The thing is I don't think that's at all true. They are appreciated very much so by a lot of people. That a person might prefer other stuff or might not end up listening to Love You on repeat for weeks on end doesn't mean they don't realize that The Beach Boys did some great stuff. I think there is a conflict that sometimes runs through being a Beach Boys fan: being pleased by the notion that your full appreciation of the music marks you as a singularly inspired human being, while being slightly desperate to prove to the world that you are not a freak show loon for listening to M.I.U. I think this creative insecurity ran through Brian Wilson and the band at different times in their career - for much of it - and accounts for a good portion of why it was so hard for them to commit to one approach or another. Had Brian Wilson been as certain in his work as John Lennon was in his, the audience would have followed along with him far more than they did. Hell we are about the biggest fans of the music he did and there is still a pervading attitude that a fan mix could somehow represent his intentions better than his actual intentions.  
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:15:48 AM by MugginsXO » Logged

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 05:28:21 AM »

Steeping slightly sideways from the original question, I'm convinced that there's a fairly large number of people who listen to - or claim to listen to - certain artists & genres not because they actually like them but because they're currently hip to appreciate/name drop.

THIS x1 million.

What is even more frustrating is when speaking of certain artists when asked their musical influences/preferences, they will name drop a "given popular band" that everyone would be aware of and maybe one of their most popular songs and yet fail to tell the audience anything significant about the band that supposedly was such an influence on their personal life and professional career.  Add to the fact that they rarely get called on this because the person interviewing them knows that if they do get into a confrontational situation with the artist they are interviewing, they likely won't get another interview.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 05:48:31 AM »

Who cares? Chacun a son goût! (Yes, <<a>> needs an accent!) means "each to his own taste." and I can't figure out on the ipad how to add it!

Andrew has a point about looking "cool" by listening to certain contemporary music.  Fakers aren't cool.

Good that those of similar tastes can discuss this music, that wasn't often considered "cool" during certain eras.  Some remained steadfast in their belief that this music would withstand the test of time.  As long as I have the freedom to listen to what I want, others are free to do the same.  I love running a string of YouTube C50 intros of "Do It Again," to make my morning Joe. 

Bonaroo is one of my favorites, seeing all those kids rockin' out to our (my) summer of 1968!  Wink
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 05:52:01 AM »

You ought to swap it back because whatever's on the other channel is likely worse.  You're missing some good sh*t.  Little Deuce Coupe makes your sh*t list?  Really?  WTF is wrong with you?

I agree with Ian.

I have to question your entire musical taste, then.  Also I'll bet you're into fat chicks.  

Dial it down a bit, Ron. That's not cool at all. Consider that a warning.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:55:50 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 05:56:14 AM »

I have seen some discerning music people turned off by the insecurity of hardcore Beach Boys fans. This certainly included me as I was for whatever psychological reasons very attached to the narrative that the band were misunderstood, under-appreciated and definitely better than whatever other more critically and publicly adored outfit. The thing is I don't think that's at all true. They are appreciated very much so by a lot of people. That a person might prefer other stuff or might not end up listening to Love You on repeat for weeks on end doesn't mean they don't realize that The Beach Boys did some great stuff. I think there is a conflict that sometimes runs through being a Beach Boys fan: being pleased by the notion that your full appreciation of the music marks you as a singularly inspired human being, while being slightly desperate to prove to the world that you are not a freak show loon for listening to M.I.U. I think this creative insecurity ran through Brian Wilson and the band at different times in their career - for much of it - and accounts for a good portion of why it was so hard for them to commit to one approach or another. Had Brian Wilson been as certain in his work as John Lennon was in his, the audience would have followed along with him far more than they did. Hell we are about the biggest fans of the music he did and there is still a pervading attitude that a fan mix could somehow represent his intentions better than his actual intentions.  

I agree with a lot of what you're saying here, particularly your point about "the insecurity of hardcore Beach Boys fans." Of course, it's not true of every hardcore fan, but there's certainly of strain of insecurity that's glaring at times. On Beatles message boards you almost never see people comparing the Beatles to another band to highlight how much better the Beatles are than band X.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 05:57:26 AM »

You ought to swap it back because whatever's on the other channel is likely worse.  You're missing some good sh*t.  Little Deuce Coupe makes your sh*t list?  Really?  WTF is wrong with you?

I agree with Ian.

I have to question your entire musical taste, then.  Also I'll bet you're into fat chicks.  

Dial it down a bit, Ron. That's not cool at all.
What's wrong with being into fat chicks? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2014, 06:07:37 AM »

The post from Ron crossed the line, personal insults or attacks are not allowed here. Again, consider it a warning.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 06:09:17 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 08:39:21 AM »

And LDC is a great song
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 09:18:41 AM »

No. I know lots of people who listen to some great music but don't care for the Beach Boys. And to someone else's point, there's definitely music that others consider great that I don't care for. The BBs have a varied catalog, but there's NOT something for everyone. Some people like hardcore guitar stuff, for example. Some people aren't into all the harmonies, or maybe the particular blend of the BBs' voices.

Yes, there are many people who claim they don't like the BBs but really just haven't given them a chance. But there are also people who just don't really like that sound.

BTW, there are people who claim they don't like the Beatles, too. And the response is often, "Oh, that person is just being contrarian" because who could dislike the Beatles? Well, maybe some people legitimately do.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2014, 09:54:54 AM »

I recently put on Feel Flows and said 'see what you think' and he was pulling a face like i'd wiped sh*t under his nose literally within ten seconds of the song starting

I'm insanely into The Beach Boys but you would have gotten the same result with me... Roll Eyes

Did you ever manage to sneak a Beach Boys song onto him without him knowing it's The Beach Boys?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2014, 11:04:58 AM »

The post from Ron crossed the line, personal insults or attacks are not allowed here. Again, consider it a warning.
I was only joking. I was hoping the emoticon would convey that. I understood what you were doing.

I'll tell you, 9 time out of 10, when pre-40's people find out that my favorite band is the Beach Boys, they look at me like I have a third eye and they usually shake their heads. These youngins don't like that clean four part harmony singing.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.