gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681000 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 04:55:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are the beach boys the most diverse band?  (Read 7741 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 07:56:55 PM »

The Rolling Stones were also very diverse... they've done a lot of different stuff over the years.

Also I'll just say: Michael Jackson was very, very diverse.  He could sing many styles, and did in his career.  I think he got a kick out of it; "Black Or White" he makes the point of making it sound hip hop and heavy metal in the same song, for instance. 

With all that said, not sure if the Beach Boys are the MOST diverse, but they were very diverse.  I would give Mike Love's endless desire to make money any way possible most of the credit for that. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 09:02:41 PM »

A google search lists 'Comedy' as a genre. I'm tempted to say anything off SIP but how about "I'd Love Just Once to See You"? 
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2014, 09:08:36 PM »

Concerning Good Vibrations, didn't Carol Kaye call it cohesively jazz? Even so, aren't their harmony arrangements on many songs considered jazz harmonies?

Or what about the Pet Sounds instrumental, would that be closer to jazz?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2014, 09:10:12 PM »

A google search lists 'Comedy' as a genre. I'm tempted to say anything off SIP but how about "I'd Love Just Once to See You"? 

Or the Cassius Love vs Sonny Wilson Wilson track Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2014, 09:11:51 PM »

I'd say Surfin Safari and especially 409 are closer to Garage Rock than Surfin', which isn't very rock at all.

Well, maybe now as much rock, but I think it's still more 'garage' Smiley

wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 10:42:44 PM »

Concerning Good Vibrations, didn't Carol Kaye call it cohesively jazz? Even so, aren't their harmony arrangements on many songs considered jazz harmonies?

Or what about the Pet Sounds instrumental, would that be closer to jazz?

The live versions of Feel Flows and All This is That might be the best case for Jazz you could make. Check out the Largo 1977 video, Charles Lloyd goes all-out on them.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2014, 06:35:40 AM »

The Rolling Stones were also very diverse... they've done a lot of different stuff over the years.

Also I'll just say: Michael Jackson was very, very diverse.  He could sing many styles, and did in his career.  I think he got a kick out of it; "Black Or White" he makes the point of making it sound hip hop and heavy metal in the same song, for instance.  

Agreed on both counts. I would also say folks like George Clinton covered a lot of ground and Prince obviously. Prince and MJ were huge crossover stars and covered just about every genre for them to cover. Prince legitimately did a Jazz album, an instrumental electronic album, and obviously Rock/R&B/Funk/Pop/Dance with various genre mash-ups along the way. There were even more things unreleased that weren't fit for purpose.

The Beach Boys did a selection of things for sure but I don't think they ever really stepped outside of the set of influences established in the 60s. Not that they had to either. 

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2014, 06:39:55 AM »

Concerning Good Vibrations, didn't Carol Kaye call it cohesively jazz?

Carol Kaye has said a lot of things.  Grin
zachrwolfe
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2014, 07:01:38 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:59:45 PM by zatch » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2014, 07:04:27 AM »

As for Jazz; Though technically not a Beach Boys track at all, the studio session of 'I Wanna Be Around' from TSS starts off with some of the wrecking crew playing their own jazz tune. So The Beach Boys have released jazz music....albeit they didn't write the tune.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2014, 10:46:47 AM »

I just thought of Frank Zappa as another diverse artist. I even saw a video of him 'rapping'

kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2014, 08:26:39 PM »

The beach boys are BY FAR the most diverse rock band in the sense that they did indeed touch base on all those styles/genres mentioned and will always be loved by any and every serious music pundit.  Stands the ultimate test of time.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2014, 08:36:24 PM »

Think cabin essence.    an almost indescribable blend of genres.........maybe Aaron Copeland classical Americana?
Nicko1234
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2014, 02:22:17 AM »

To answer the original question, no The Beach Boys certainly aren`t the most diverse band. I mean, there are some bands who attempt a dozen different musical styles on one album never mind a career.

And several other long running artists have had similarly diverse careers. A group like The Monkees, for example, recorded in numerous styles including country rock, music hall and 1920s music and their career is certainly as varied I would guess.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2014, 07:33:31 PM »

The Beach Boys are perhaps the best band that is as diverse as they are. Few bands that have as massive a catalog of really brilliant music also have additionally ventured into as many genres over so many decades.

Another band that comes to mind as having a stunning amount of genre diversity in their catalog is The Smashing Pumpkins.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2014, 10:07:30 PM »

Here is the question from a different angle. How many American groups that were big before the British invasion explored as much territory as the Beach BoysPerhaps some of the best did some symphonic and avant gaurd songs like Pet Sounds or Smile, but did any of them go as far out as Smiley Smile, Holland or Love You? It seems that most of the very diverse bands came after the Beach Boys. Their contemporaries and before don't tend to branch out nearly as much. I'm taking pre  64 American groups.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2014, 10:32:30 PM »

I hate to say it, but you could argue that the Beatles were as diverse, and were only around about 8 years.  Yikes!   Really is there a genre that the Beatles DIDN'T do?  They only recorded about 200 songs, too.  They even did some eastern stuff, which the Beach Boys never did, and experimented with weird-ass time signatures.  They went as far avant garde as Smiley Smile with stuff like Revolution #9, were heavier than the Beach Boys with stuff like Helter Skelter, did straight up country songs like Act Naturally, did big band numbers like Your Mother Should Know, did lullabyes, instrumentals, harpsichord circus music like Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite, etc. 

Not that that means anything.  I'm just saying don't be too quick to try to label the Beach Boys the 'best' at something because as usual you can always bring up what most people consider to be the best band ever. 
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2014, 10:51:23 PM »

I hate to say it, but you could argue that the Beatles were as diverse, and were only around about 8 years.  Yikes!   Really is there a genre that the Beatles DIDN'T do?  They only recorded about 200 songs, too.  They even did some eastern stuff, which the Beach Boys never did, and experimented with weird-ass time signatures.  They went as far avant garde as Smiley Smile with stuff like Revolution #9, were heavier than the Beach Boys with stuff like Helter Skelter, did straight up country songs like Act Naturally, did big band numbers like Your Mother Should Know, did lullabyes, instrumentals, harpsichord circus music like Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite, etc. 

Not that that means anything.  I'm just saying don't be too quick to try to label the Beach Boys the 'best' at something because as usual you can always bring up what most people consider to be the best band ever. 

I'm not saying the best. No doubt there are many diverse bands. But wasn't All I Want to Do as heavy as Helter Skelter, or pretty close? And this may be unfair, but the Beatles never did rap, disco or punk. Part of what diversifies the BBs is their longevity.

Also, just because I'm saying they are as diverse as anyone doesn't mean I'm saying that makes them the best. My 2nd favorite band is Grandaddy. They had a very small range, but they did it well.

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2014, 10:26:29 AM »

Jon, doesn't Dave consider Surfin to be rather "folky"?

One can invent genres and sub-genres all day (and other will say that those are not genres), so it's pointless to argue too much beyond the wonderful recognition that they could express themselves in so many styles and modes (perhaps better to use that than genre--or in addition to it). For example In the Back of my Mind" is a real "tearjerker," which some might call a genre or anecdotal word for a certain style.

I walked Redondo for 2 hours yesterday with MIC in my earphones. I am sure I heard (and sang) a little bit of everything.

The Professor

I'd say Surfin Safari and especially 409 are closer to Garage Rock than Surfin', which isn't very rock at all.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx