gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 09:42:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Somebody Please Slap Denny Tedesco into consciousness!  (Read 14730 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2015, 11:14:59 AM »

I don't know if it was posted but the Facebook site has a trailer up. Unfortunately I can't link it here...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2015, 11:53:32 PM »

I don't know if it was posted but the Facebook site has a trailer up. Unfortunately I can't link it here...

In the subtley named thread "Finally!!!":

“We live in divisive times.”
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2015, 04:17:21 AM »

Denny's motivation to credit his father and other Wrecking Crew musicians is indeed powerful. I admire his perseverance, even if it clashes with the facts, which of course is not desirable. I sympathise with his obvious frustration at the lack of support for making this movie and I'm relieved it's finally coming out.

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2015, 04:59:19 AM »

Denny's motivation to credit his father and other Wrecking Crew musicians is indeed powerful. I admire his perseverance, even if it clashes with the facts, which of course is not desirable. I sympathise with his obvious frustration at the lack of support for making this movie and I'm relieved it's finally coming out.

All entirely laudable, and long overdue... but maybe he should have asked someone other than the musicians (say, the Stebbins dude, or Craig) about their claims to have played on this or that hit, at least in the BB cosmos. That it took him over two years to remove three spurious AFM sheets despite being reminded frequently that they were not BB sessions tells me he's not an entirely impartial individual.

Further problem is... now the DVD is, essentially, out there, the canards are pretty much set in stone - look, the actual guys who played on the Beach Boys/Monkees/your band of choice here sessions are saying on camera that the bands didn't play on their records ! Must be true !!

Something Jon said a few years ago about all this resonates strongly with me: he stated that we're not in this to win any popularity contests, we just want the truth documented and set down. Problem is, sometimes the truth can be inconvenient, too inconvenient for those involved to accept.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:00:33 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2015, 10:26:09 AM »

All entirely laudable, and long overdue... but maybe he should have asked someone other than the musicians (say, the Stebbins dude, or Craig) about their claims to have played on this or that hit, at least in the BB cosmos. That it took him over two years to remove three spurious AFM sheets despite being reminded frequently that they were not BB sessions tells me he's not an entirely impartial individual.

Further problem is... now the DVD is, essentially, out there, the canards are pretty much set in stone - look, the actual guys who played on the Beach Boys/Monkees/your band of choice here sessions are saying on camera that the bands didn't play on their records ! Must be true !!

Something Jon said a few years ago about all this resonates strongly with me: he stated that we're not in this to win any popularity contests, we just want the truth documented and set down. Problem is, sometimes the truth can be inconvenient, too inconvenient for those involved to accept.

A big thank you to Andrew, Jon and Mark for — at the very least — staying the course. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2015, 12:55:30 PM »

Wonder what will be on the soundtrack

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/thewreckingcrew?utm_campaign=project5085&utm_source=facebook

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2015, 06:12:44 PM »

http://youtu.be/ERGw5c-g3p0?t=49s

From the relevant page:

Dean Torrence: “In mid-late 1962, Jan (Berry) invited Brian Wilson to the studio to hear the finished instrumental track to Surf City.”

"The studio guys were also able to nail a track in two or three takes compared to The Beach Boys, whom one can assume would have taken much longer." [Debatable].

Larry Knechtal: … “I did some of the Beach Boys' early surfin' stuff. I played piano on Surfer Girl and that's the first one where I went, 'Wow, wait a minute, there's something here.'”

Sound Explosion!: Inside L.A.’s Studio Factory with the Wrecking Crew, a new 12" x 12" album sized book, serves as the perfect companion to the Wrecking Crew film.

At least they got that part right Grin

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2015, 06:30:18 AM »

Oh, FFS...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
onatrain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2015, 09:11:27 PM »

Apologies to rehash this old topic.

Saw the Wrecking Crew film last week in Toronto.  If I recall correctly, the only music clip from the Beach Boys used was Fun, Fun, Fun.  Also included the video of how the Beach Boys puts a song together (Dennis on the drums, Al on rhythm guitar...) like the Concert version of Little Deuce Coupe, cut just before the beginning of the song and instead playing the intro of FFF.  Album covers where the Wrecking Crew played started with Summer Days, and then PS, Today!, and All Summer Long.  May have missed others and I don't think I saw Smile.  Of course there are many clips with Brian.  After the film there was a Q&A with Denny Tedesco but nobody asked questions about the Beach Boys so he didn't address them.

Watching for any suggestion that the Beach Boys "didn't play a note", I didn't get much of that impression and it was more like WC came in when the music got more advanced.  That is until an interview clip of Micky Dolenz at the end of the film, where he suggested WC played on almost all the BB hits.   Seeing that was a little disappointing.  There was also mention of Hal being a better drummer than Dennis.  This point did not refer to any specific song.

I'm not an expert by any means and I enjoyed the film overall.   Too bad the time didn't really allow in depth analysis of any songs.  Hope this "review" is somewhat useful until the film goes into wider release when you can see it for yourselves.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx