gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 03:04:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Somebody Please Slap Denny Tedesco into consciousness!  (Read 14744 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2014, 08:49:24 AM »

Today on Facebook Mr. Tedesco is touting the new improved website featuring Wrecking Crew AFM sheets for the sessions they played on. https://www.facebook.com/WreckingCrewFilm?fref=photo

He's STILL using non-Beach Boys versions of I Get Around and Don't Worry Baby as proof the WC played on the Beach Boys hit versions of those songs. Even after AGD, Mark Linett, myself and so many others have pleaded with Mr. Tedesco for years to correct this mis-information. There were NO WRECKING CREW musicians on the Beach Boys version of Don't Worry Baby. Zero. I Get Around has a few of them in support of the Beach Boys, who play the core instruments on the track themselves. There must be a way to finally get this guy's attention. He's STILL selling a lie regarding those two iconic Beach Boys songs. I need a drink.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 09:21:46 AM »

It is so obvious, look at the other songs on the session Hot Rod USA....
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 10:05:26 AM »

Today on Facebook Mr. Tedesco is touting the new improved website featuring Wrecking Crew AFM sheets for the sessions they played on. https://www.facebook.com/WreckingCrewFilm?fref=photo

He's STILL using non-Beach Boys versions of I Get Around and Don't Worry Baby as proof the WC played on the Beach Boys hit versions of those songs. Even after AGD, Mark Linett, myself and so many others have pleaded with Mr. Tedesco for years to correct this mis-information. There were NO WRECKING CREW musicians on the Beach Boys version of Don't Worry Baby. Zero. I Get Around has a few of them in support of the Beach Boys, who play the core instruments on the track themselves. There must be a way to finally get this guy's attention. He's STILL selling a lie regarding those two iconic Beach Boys songs. I need a drink.

Has he ever been asked/politely confronted about this subject in person, perhaps one-on-one at one of the screenings? Does he just refuse to discuss/address the issue in the face of factual research? I'm sure it would be an awkward conversation, but as a film like this gets more and more eyes on it (as it certainly will now), I can't imagine the issue can just simply be ignored without it being addressed in some fashion (even if just a flat-out denial).
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 10:08:23 AM »

Did you provide Tedesco with the sessions sheets for those gigs as evidence? Or do they not exist or are they incomplete/inaccurate? Or he wouldn't believe the information on the sheets anyway even when they're provided to him?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 10:50:23 AM »

Mikie, we shouldn't need to - that they're spurious shoudl be obvious to anyone with two brain cells to rub together and the ability to read a calendar correctly. I told him they were wrong over two years ago, and he thanked me, promising he'd amend them later ASAP. Still waiting. I can only guess he's been hanging with Carol Kaye too much of late...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:51:25 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 10:59:27 AM »

Since they were NOT for the Beach Boys, do we know who the IGA and DWB sessions were for?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 11:02:25 AM »

I've detailed what they were for in the FB thread, but just for you...

AFM #96891 dated 5/20/64 is for a Catalinas session, for their Fun, Fun, Fun album: five of the six titles listed were never, EVER, recorded by The Beach Boys. It's a Terry Melcher project, which he also produced.

AFM #94459 dated 7/23/64 is for a Knights session for their Hot Rod High album. As before, four of the songs listed were never, EVER, recorded by The BB in the sixties. A Gary Usher production.

AFM #96724 dated 7/10/64 is for the entirely instrumental album by The Hollyridge Strings The Beach Boys Songbook: look at the musicians, overwhelmingly orchestral types. Also, by the session date, four of the seven titles listed had already been released as singles.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 11:08:18 AM »

Tedesco Responds on Facebook!...

Here is my response to some of the emails in regards to the contracts. You are correct to say some of them are wrong and we thought we pulled them from the website. I take responsibility there. The contracts were handed off to me over the years from the AFM but I haven't kept up with the corrected ones. Intentionally misleading? That is quite a statement.
I've never said I was an expert. Most of you know way more than me in regards to the music and certain facts. I'm trying my best to showcase these musicians and the memory of my father and the others who have passed over the years. After 18 years, its finally coming together. So bare with me with the mistakes. We only trying to have fun.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 11:10:31 AM »

Thanks AGD and Jon.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 11:36:13 AM »

The main issue, for me, is that the recording dates on those session sheets are after the BB recordings were released.

It's as simple as that, and not something that required "expertise" to fix or realize.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 11:41:56 AM »

Tedesco Responds on Facebook!...

Here is my response to some of the emails in regards to the contracts. You are correct to say some of them are wrong and we thought we pulled them from the website. I take responsibility there. The contracts were handed off to me over the years from the AFM but I haven't kept up with the corrected ones. Intentionally misleading? That is quite a statement.
I've never said I was an expert. Most of you know way more than me in regards to the music and certain facts. I'm trying my best to showcase these musicians and the memory of my father and the others who have passed over the years. After 18 years, its finally coming together. So bare with me with the mistakes. We only trying to have fun.

OOF; Guess we've got his attention now.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 11:48:16 AM »

I'm not convinced he intentionally did that, though...what would he gain from that?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 11:56:22 AM »

I did that to get his attention... but honestly, Jon & I have been tel;ling him that for close on three years, and nothing was done. I'd call that wilful. Whatever, he's fessed up. Not if he'll just actually remove the offending documents...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 12:09:00 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 12:07:35 PM »

I'm not convinced he intentionally did that, though...what would he gain from that?

I'd guess the Beach Boys' songs sell part of the movie. Imagine this campaign: meet the musicians that were not behind your favorite hits of the 60s like I Get Around, Don't Worry Baby, Fun, Fun, Fun.... etc.  Cheesy

But maybe it was really just a slip-up.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »

But he already does have several other ACTUAL Beach Boys AFM contracts up there; he doesn't need more to sell it, and I'm pretty sure he knows that. Again, I doubt he's doing that on purpose. My guess is that he's got so much actual physical work he has to do to get the movie, get the rights, travel with it around the country, etc., in addition to other unrelated work he has going on in his life, plus family life, etc., that maybe the last thing on his mind is "Whoops, better update that link on the site!" (And this is coming from a professional web developer, btw; I know what I'm talking about.)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 12:43:22 PM »

I'd guess the Beach Boys' songs sell part of the movie. Imagine this campaign: meet the musicians that were not behind your favorite hits of the 60s like I Get Around, Don't Worry Baby, Fun, Fun, Fun.... etc.  Cheesy

That's one of the aspects of this trend of over crediting the WC musicians regarding the Beach Boys that really burns me up. No need for it. The WC did enough that no embellishment is needed. They were the core musicians on so many great Beach Boys tracks. Why The f*** do people insist on crediting them for the ones they are not on? Or solely crediting them for the ones that they intermingled with the Beach Boys on. It's as if people cannot get their heads around the fact the the Beach Boys played the instruments on a bunch of their classic stuff. I recall pointing out to a very veteran and respected music journalist that the Beach Boys played the core instruments on the MAJORITY of their top 40 hits. This was met with utter disbelief. As if my naiveté was so off the mark that it barely was worth a response. But check the songs that made top 40...most of them had the Beach Boys on them as musicians, and a bunch had the WC as well, just not as many as had BB's on them. As Tedesco said "we're only trying to have fun." Myth killers are no fun I guess.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 12:53:55 PM »

Amen, Jon

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 01:02:47 PM »

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 06:15:57 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 01:31:58 PM »

The wrecking crew standing on their own merits sadly, does not merit a film about them. But exposing the Beach Boys as a bunch of frauds on the other hand.

Oh, I disagree with that. They were incredibly important to the sound of the era. There's definitely room for such a film.

But the BB stuff is just unnecessary. As Jon said, they did appear on number of the group's most orchestrated hits -- I mean, "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "Good Vibes" aren't nothing!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 01:53:59 PM »

Interesting that they "lost" the original post. Smiley

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 01:56:04 PM »

Whatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhat ?

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 02:11:16 PM »

Looks like Tedesco is on the up and up and will straighten this out.  Follow-up with him will be necessary in the next few weeks to see if he's corrected the credits.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 02:22:58 PM »

Whatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhat ?

Yup. The original post was gone, and it the announcement was RE-posted with an apology for "losing" the original post. Smiley

halblaineisgood
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 02:49:48 PM »

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 06:15:34 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »

I finally got a hold of the WC film, and I was baffled by the statement that none of the Beach Boys played on most of their records in the mid-60s, then cuts to a photo of Carl Wilson and Hal Blaine, clearly sitting in the studio together on their respective instruments!!!

It also uses the "Little Deuce Coupe" intro from the Lost Concert which demonstrates what capable musicians they all were.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx