gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:31:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did the BBs ever wear their actual vintage stage attire in other live eras?  (Read 5305 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2014, 03:47:32 PM »

It appears that Mike may be wearing an actual vintage Pendelton shirt in the shot at 1:32 in this video, which is clearly a live shot from the very late '60s or early '70s. Maybe one of his own stock of actual Pendelton shirts which he previously wore onstage in '62?  If so, that's kind of awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7KespoHzM

This got me wondering, are there other examples of this type of thing? Did the BBs ever wear an actual vintage stage-worn striped shirt at a one-off future show (post '67)? Did any of Brian's actual '70s t-shirts/sweatsuits get worn at a later show? I know Al's current live look is similar to his late '60s white suit look, though I'd assume he's wearing new threads with his old style.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 04:03:17 PM »

I think they occasionally wore striped shirts. Here's a shot of Al from Farm Aid (1986 I believe) where he has a striped shirt. I highly doubt it's an "original", and probably isn't even the same exact design:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 04:05:57 PM »

I think 2015 will bring the return of this Bruce look:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 04:22:32 PM »

Other than that shot of Mike (from the early 70's) I've never seen a Beach Boy wear a Pendleton on stage since '62. I've seen one or two of them wear a candy striped shirt since the 60's, but don't remember what year.

In 2002, Pendleton brought back the Board Shirt in the same plaid, re-named it "Beach Boys Plaid" complete with a large tag inside that refers to the Beach Boys Pendleton. Now you can buy one as "BLUE ORIGINAL SURF PLAID".

http://www.pendleton-usa.com/   Search Beach Boys

I wore my Pendleton on Record Store Day 2010 when Al made an appearance there. Al noticed my shirt and said that he still has his original one. He said David Marks borrowed his Pendleton shirt back in '63 for the Surfer Girl album cover shoot.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 04:25:49 PM »

That's not vintage attire… it's not even attire. It's half his vintage birthday suit - the half that needs a good Hoovering, if not a date with a Remington…

“We live in divisive times.”
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 04:42:27 PM »

Please let it be so.

I have never seen that pic, and now I can't unsee it.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 06:13:48 PM »

Mike went Pendleton in 09.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ja1d0yXGK4
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 06:42:19 PM »

The October 1981 edition of Goldmine mentions that both Al and Bruce wore vintage striped shirts and white pants at the Forum concert, December 31 1980.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 07:50:05 PM »

Brian still wears some of the same types of shirts he wore circa 1968-ish, right down to the same patterns. I need to go through the pictures on my hard drive, but I know I once did a side by side picture, one from 1968, the other from 2008.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 08:07:29 PM »

David Marks is wearing a Pendleton on the cover of one of his recent solo albums. Looks vintage, but it might be a more recent acquisition.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 08:18:27 PM »

That cracked me up! And after playing the Washington Monument, Carnegie Hall, Royal Albert Hall, and large baseball stadiums and concert halls throughout the world, we use to joke about them resorting now to playing Vegas and county fairs, wineries, and car dealership openings.  The Lucky Strike Bowling Alley tops 'em all!  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 08:47:44 PM »

That cracked me up! And after playing the Washington Monument, Carnegie Hall, Royal Albert Hall, and large baseball stadiums and concert halls throughout the world, we use to joke about them resorting now to playing Vegas and county fairs, wineries, and car dealership openings.  The Lucky Strike Bowling Alley tops 'em all!  Grin

This could be the only Beach Boys gig where Mike had to read an announcement between songs that said "Your attention please, will the owner of the older model tan Buick Century please move your car, it's parked in the fire lane. And Cunningham, party of 9, your lane is ready. Thank you."

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 11:57:34 PM »

The October 1981 edition of Goldmine mentions that both Al and Bruce wore vintage striped shirts and white pants at the Forum concert, December 31 1980.
There were pics from this show in BBFUN.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 12:45:49 AM »

LOL That look, mixed with tennis shorts, will be quite spectacular!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 02:12:06 AM »

One cringeworthy show indeed. Performance was quite suitably subpar too!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 07:22:32 AM »

Maybe they were rushed that day so the Lucky Strike facility could set up for the Knights Of Columbus annual "Beef N' Beer Bash" event that was booked for later that evening.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 09:03:40 AM »

Since we are talking about stage attire, when Al surprised everyone and played with Brian @ UCLA in 2006, he stepped out wearing the same or a similar suit to what he was wearing @ Knebworth, which was super cool.

Maybe there should be a separate thread talking about when a musician wears a hat with the name of his own band on it during that band's shows...
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 10:04:46 AM »

Maybe they were rushed that day so the Lucky Strike facility could set up for the Knights Of Columbus annual "Beef N' Beer Bash" event that was booked for later that evening.  Grin

Ha Ha Ha Ha!

The following day they were scheduled to play the Dadgum Fruit and Nut factory near the truck scales in Blythe, California.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 10:08:37 AM »

It looks like the jacket Mike wears here is from '71.

The classes of 1961 and 1971 worked together to bring the Beach Boys to Reunions Friday night. Here is Mike Love, the only original Beach Boy still in the band, in his ’71 jacket.

http://paw.princeton.edu/issues/2011/07/06/pages/4727/index.xml

The Beach Boys wore Pendletons in 2012 but I don't think they used them on stage.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 04:59:18 PM »

Mike wore his original Surfin' Safari / Surfin' USA / Surfer Girl Pendleton at the Dec. 3, 1971 Long Beach Arena concert, telling the audience that the Pendleton he was wearing was the same one he had worn for those photo shoots back in the early days.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 08:32:17 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx