-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:36:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The ESA is about to land a probe on a comet
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The ESA is about to land a probe on a comet  (Read 4648 times)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2014, 02:25:42 AM »

Hopefully....

I don't think they're going to answer too many questions about the universe, but there should definitely (hopefully) be some great pictures if these ones taken from a distance are any indication: http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Missions/Rosetta/%28class%29/image

No mas, por favor.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 04:36:56 AM »

Increasingly irked by piss-poor reporting: yes, the comet is traveling at 48,000 mph, or whatever. But so is the probe, because it's in orbit around said nucleus, so they're not trying to land on something whooshing past at about 13 miles per second, as inferred.

That said, all fascinating stuff.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 07:42:11 AM »

Here's a live stream from ESA mission control....

http://new.livestream.com/esa/cometlanding

I don't know if the probe has landed yet though....

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 07:58:26 AM »

Maybe this project will help solve a Beach Boys mystery, if the camera should happen to catch thousands of unsold Summer In Paradise CD's orbiting among other space debris...Ahh, so that's where they put them!  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 08:15:36 AM »

It landed!

"Touchdown! My new address: 67P!"

@guitarfool - I hope someone collects all those copies then! We don't need a far off alien race thinking that's the type of "art" we put out....could start an intergalactic war Grin

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 08:27:53 AM »

It landed!

@guitarfool - I hope someone collects all those copies then! We don't need a far off alien race thinking that's the type of "art" we put out....could start an intergalactic war Grin

You know that NASA (I think) in conjunction with the Smithsonian or a similar group sent some recordings into orbit, and among them was Chuck Berry's original "Johnny B Goode"...I'm a little sketchy on the details, but it was supposed to be an effort to give a sampling of the 20th century musical culture if any unknown extraterrestrial  life-form or whatever happened to get hold of it, just like you described.

So the scenario you posted would actually be hilarious if instead of Bach, Beethoven, and Johnny B Goode, that unknown alien race happened to catch a copy of Summer In Paradise by accident...and the first track they hear is "Summer Of Love". Imagine the possibilities.

I'm imagining if they ever landed on earth, you'd have an explorer ship full of aliens wearing tight shorts, alligator polo shirts, baseball caps, and docksider shoes, their attempt to "blend in" with the popular culture as translated through 1992-era Beach Boys music.  LOL

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 08:35:16 AM »

It landed!

You know that NASA (I think) in conjunction with the Smithsonian or a similar group sent some recordings into orbit, and among them was Chuck Berry's original "Johnny B Goode"...I'm a little sketchy on the details, but it was supposed to be an effort to give a sampling of the 20th century musical culture if any unknown extraterrestrial  life-form or whatever happened to get hold of it, just like you described.

So the scenario you posted would actually be hilarious if instead of Bach, Beethoven, and Johnny B Goode, that unknown alien race happened to catch a copy of Summer In Paradise by accident...and the first track they hear is "Summer Of Love". Imagine the possibilities.

I'm imagining if they ever landed on earth, you'd have an explorer ship full of aliens wearing tight shorts, alligator polo shirts, baseball caps, and docksider shoes, their attempt to "blend in" with the popular culture as translated through 1992-era Beach Boys music.  LOL

LOL brilliant!! LOL

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 09:33:12 AM »

This .gif shows just how incredible the process was in getting this spacecraft to the comet:

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 09:48:25 AM »

Increasingly irked by piss-poor reporting: yes, the comet is traveling at 48,000 mph, or whatever. But so is the probe, because it's in orbit around said nucleus, so they're not trying to land on something whooshing past at about 13 miles per second, as inferred.

That said, all fascinating stuff.  Grin

Reminds me of that South Park episode.  (Paraphrasing) Reporter:  "The death toll could be as high as 6 million people.  The town only has 3,000 people, so this would be a truly, truly devastating loss."

LOL

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »

This .gif shows just how incredible the process was in getting this spacecraft to the comet:

NASA needs more money for amazing stuff like this! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 09:56:42 AM »

I had to do it.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 10:22:52 AM »

75 years later...  Little Billy in his bedroom, tuning some ham radio dials, with a big antenna and some tin-foil.  "Dad, come here come quick!  I hear something!!! From space!!!!"

"Hot fuuuun, in the summertime."  (with a LOT of reverb)

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 12:46:24 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 03:03:29 PM »

Your partly (mis)remembering the gold disc on the side of both of the Voyager spacecraft: there was a LOT more on it than just music:

Voyager Gold Disc contents

Both probes are now in interstellar space, and will pass the closest star in a tad over 40,000 years.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 03:25:43 PM »

will pass the closest star in a tad over 40,000 years.

How incredibly useful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: