gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680809 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 09:56:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Missed Hits & Hits Missed  (Read 9284 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 06:24:12 AM »

The single "Marcella" should've had a shorter tag. Up the "lost in haze/doobie-doobie-doo" bit in the mix and begin a quick fade out just as those parts comes in.  Then the song would be perfect. You're looking at a max length of 3:10 instead of 3:54. Leave the longer tag on the album to indulge hardcore fans.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 06:29:43 AM »

Now that I think about it, "Marcella" really is odd song. It's got like 2 choruses: "Hey Marcella" and "Sandals Dance At My Feet".  It'd be intriguing to hear the song with "Sandals" used only as the tag. That sounds more like a vintage Brian move.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 06:51:13 AM »

It baffles me how This Whole World wasn't released as a single. It's one of the catchiest songs I've ever heard and I think the lyrics really could've worked in that late-60s/early-70s context, though I was born quite a bit later, so the assumption might not be entirely accurate. What about Big Sur, early version?
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 07:46:37 AM »

<<Matchpoint of Our Love is a bit of a piece of sh*t, imo, but I can see why some would find it appealing as a single - given some Aussie Yobbos had a hit with a cricket analogy love song around the same time, no reason why a tennis themed number wouldn't have hit it out of the ballpark.>>

We disagree about this one.  I was shocked and pleased at how contemporary it sounded in '78, and how great Brian's vocal was.  Stylistically, it's very reminiscent of Dr. Hook's When You're In Love With a Beautiful Woman, which was a huge hit in 1979.  Maybe the lyrics are weak but it's a great sounding record.  Maybe because it's disco, the band vetoed it's release since Bruce & Co. were busy with Here Comes the Night.  Who knows, but a lost opportunity in my view.
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 10:27:20 AM »

How was Forever not a single?  I don't understand why Add Some Music was chosen over it.  Really baffles me.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2014, 10:59:31 AM »

My List:

"Here She Comes" - If this had been the first single off of CATP, the Boys would have been rock station darlings.
"Matchpoint" - Definitely.
"Love Surrounds Me" - I think this was a B-side.  Should have been an A.
"Lahaina Aloha" - Would have suckered a lot of people into buying SIP.
"Spring Vacation" - Personally, the two singles chosen were among my least fave songs on TWGMTR.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:01:30 AM by job » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2014, 01:37:31 PM »

It baffles me how This Whole World wasn't released as a single. It's one of the catchiest songs I've ever heard and I think the lyrics really could've worked in that late-60s/early-70s context, though I was born quite a bit later, so the assumption might not be entirely accurate. What about Big Sur, early version?

Maybe just flip Slip On Through ( Brother-Reprise 0929) over and you'll see/hear it....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2014, 04:13:13 PM »

San Miguel
Forever
Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again
Good Time
This Whole World
Funky Pretty
Disney Girls
Help Is On The Way
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2014, 10:26:58 PM »

"By the time "Marcella" did show up as the 2nd single, the album was probably almost off the charts, and there was little interest left in promoting it."

Actually, the exact opposite was the case: "Marcella" was listed as bubbling under the Hot 100 on 7/15/72 and stayed there for three weeks: during that time CATP was at its chart peak - 50-50-56 - and stayed on the album chart for a further 11 weeks. Didn't go into free fall until early September. But yeah, your basic point is entirely valid: as the lead single it was a no-brainer of the highest order.

"What You Do To Me" peaked at #72.

Thanks for the clarification on this.  I did not look it up, but I figured that at least CATP has already peaked when "Marcella" was released.   

I'm surprised to see "What You Do To Me" peaked so high...I didn't think it was THAT high!

Dogbone
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2014, 10:28:11 PM »

NOTE:  For those who want to hear the bad mix of "Add Some Music To Your Day".....you need to find the WHITE PROMO release 0894...and then look at the Deadwax on the "Add Some Music" side.  If the serial number is NOT followed by the RE Letters, then it's the FIRST(Or Bad) mix.  If it has the RE Letters with the serial number, then it's the REMIXED version.   The bad mix suffers mostly from being a bit squeezed in sound.   The Remixed version corrects this a bit by spreading out the sound a little more.  

Do all the stock copies contain the remixed, non-squeezed version?

Hey Bgas--

Honestly,  I've never double checked the Stock singles.   Something I need to do.

Dogbone
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2014, 10:30:24 PM »

In the USA, "This Whole World" was the B-side to "Slip On Through".....but it's surprising that it was JUST the "B-side"....

Dogbone
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2014, 11:55:54 PM »

Great points, Dogbone, and I had no idea about the bad mix of Add Some Music.  I always wondered why Marcella wasn't a hit... it fit perfectly into 1972... but your explanation makes perfect sense.

Another mistake, I think, was made by CBS with Pacific Ocean Blue.  They should have released River Song as the first single.  I think David Leaf even asked about it in Pet Sounds... and the label response was something to the effect that while "everyone knows River Song is a classic, it's not a single.  We think You and I best fits the demands of radio airplay..." or something like that.
I had a promo sampler of CBS artists from '77, and "River Song" was on it, so someone thought that was the song to push from POB.  The sampler also had "My Own Way to Rock" by Burton Cummings, the studio version of "I Want You to Want Me" by Cheap Trick, and "Black Betty" by Ram Jam.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2014, 12:42:31 AM »

Matchpoint of Our Love is a bit of a piece of sh*t, imo, but I can see why some would find it appealing as a single - given some Aussie Yobbos had a hit with a cricket analogy love song around the same time, no reason why a tennis themed number wouldn't have hit it out of the ballpark.

We disagree about this one.  I was shocked and pleased at how contemporary it sounded in '78, and how great Brian's vocal was.  Stylistically, it's very reminiscent of Dr. Hook's When You're In Love With a Beautiful Woman, which was a huge hit in 1979.  Maybe the lyrics are weak but it's a great sounding record.  Maybe because it's disco, the band vetoed it's release since Bruce & Co. were busy with Here Comes the Night.  Who knows, but a lost opportunity in my view.

Hey Steve, I think we agree MOOL had the potential to be a good single, and perhaps, maybe enough appeal to make it a hit - given the type of stuff around at the time - eg, Howzat (the cricket song), the Dr. Hook jive you mention, Love is in the Air, etc etc.

None of those songs (inc MOOL) or the sound they were pushing are my cup of tea, but that's life.  I don't like Kokomo, but it (unexpectedly perhaps) achieved a pretty good outcome for the brand de jour.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2014, 06:15:58 PM »

There is something to be said for releasing the best song on an album regardless of how commercial it might seem.

Sunflower
- This Whole World
- All I Wanna Do

Surf's Up:
- Surf's Up
- Til I Die

CATP:
- All This Is That
- You Need a Mess

Holland:
They got it right

In Concert:
- Marcella (10 x better than the studio version)
- SUSA (exception to my rule but it is a fresh take on an oldie)

15 Big Ones:
- It's OK (should have the first single - another "what were they thinking" moment)
- Just Once In My Life
- Had to Phone Ya

Love You
- Honkin
- Johnny Carson (why not?)

MIU
- Peggy Sue was the right call
- My Diane

LA
- Angel Come Home
- Love Surrounds Me

KTSA
- I like a lot of the songs on the album but it just was not a good record for the time.  Maybe "Some of Your Love" with different lyriss.

BB85
- Where I Belong
- It's Getting Late

JasonK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2014, 04:23:07 AM »

I always believed that if they had finished River Song in the early 70's, then it might have had a chance.  Maybe Marcella if they had jazzed it up like the live version.  Shoot, I might have released that live Wild Honey as a single.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2014, 08:10:26 AM »

Mess of Help with a tweek here and a twerk there could have been a solid hit to my ears.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2014, 08:46:06 AM »

Mess of Help with a tweek here and a twerk there could have been a solid hit to my ears.

The guitar break in that song is genius.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2014, 06:50:23 PM »

Match point could have been a top 20 or so, at least as big as Good Timin, given the publics expectation of the BeachBoys nailing a fad......Tennis being huge  in that era.     the commercial potential was there.   
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2014, 07:33:44 PM »

I always though Please Let me Wonder and Back of My Mind could have been huge.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2014, 11:27:24 PM »

Match point could have been a top 20 or so, at least as big as Good Timin, given the publics expectation of the BeachBoys nailing a fad......Tennis being huge  in that era.     the commercial potential was there.   
I'm led to believe Tennis is still a popular event in the current era - perhaps instead of all this "Last Song"/"My Life" Suite guff, Brian and the remaining BB's could nail it with a MOOL revisit!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2014, 12:56:10 AM »

I'm led to believe Tennis is still a popular event in the current era - perhaps instead of all this "Last Song"/"My Life" Suite guff, Brian and the remaining BB's could nail it with a MOOL revisit!

Would be a nice opportunity to team up with Daft Punk.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2014, 06:19:54 AM »

Interesting topic.

"Feel Flows" (in a shorter single version maybe)
"The Trader" (in a shorter single version maybe)
"Palisades Park"
"Roller Skating Child"
"I Wanna Pick You Up"
"She's Got Rhythm"
"Angel Come Home"

"Crack At Your Love"

Yeah! Smiley

Though I can't really decide between "She's Got Rhythm" and "Woncha Come Out Tonight" as my favorite first single record choice.

"Angel Come Home" is one of Carl's best songs. In fact for quite some time I thought Dennis wrote it, that's how good it is! Wink 2

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2014, 11:18:21 AM »

"Angel Come Home" is one of Carl's best songs. In fact for quite some time I thought Dennis wrote it, that's how good it is! Wink 2
Mick Fleetwood's Zoo did a nice job with their version. It's a bit faster and with a Western type arrangement.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.