gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680851 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:03:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys post-Dennis  (Read 6218 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 05:36:39 PM »

I think the quality dropped after Holland in 73. Though Love You is one of my favorite albums. Also, the Beach Boys songs sounded contemporary through Still Cruisin. Yes, I said it. A lot of pop bands were had a similar production style at the time. Doesn't mean I like it. Summer in Paradise is the first album that sounded dated when it first came out. Even Brian's solo stuff is mostly dated. Though, TLOS and RIG have a timeless production quality. Disney and TWGMTR have moments, but for the most part sound dated.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 05:47:11 PM »

I think we've most certainly missed out on some cool Dennis tracks, had he cleaned up (even just a little bit) and kept writing, it's almost doubtless a song or two of his would have made it's way onto the albums.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 06:01:46 PM »

I think we've most certainly missed out on some cool Dennis tracks, had he cleaned up (even just a little bit) and kept writing, it's almost doubtless a song or two of his would have made it's way onto the albums.

Aw, hell yeah. Could you imagine some of the Bambu tracks with the super-dated 80's production? Time For Bed? Wild Situation?

Plus, yeah, he would have come up with some more great songs.

No mas, por favor.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 12:27:29 AM »

For me, The Beach Boys, as a group, died when Dennis died. Various combinations of surviving Beach Boys have been around since then, but the group as an entire group died with Dennis. I happen to enjoy KTSA and '85 fpr what they are. new Beach Boys music.  After those lps, things are bleak until That's Why Got Made Radio. The exception to this for me on the Nashville album is Caroline No with Timothy Schmidt. It would be a thing of beauty on ANY Beach Boys album.
For me, The Beach Boys, as a group, died when Carl died. We've had various releases from the survivors since then - mostly Brian- and very few of these have added any real value to the 'canon'. Of course BWPS was great when it came out, but since then we've got TSS, which is the version I always put on now, and TLOS was a major work, but otherwise, I always go for the 60s/70s/80s stuff.
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 08:19:30 AM »

My question..  why no Dennis songs on KTSA?  If Bamboo was already scrapped then why let these great songs go to waste? 
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2014, 04:11:06 PM »

My question..  why no Dennis songs on KTSA?  If Bamboo was already scrapped then why let these great songs go to waste? 

I don't have the dates in front of me, but wasn't Dennis fired around this time because of substance abuse? I wonder if they were trying to clean up their image as well. The rough vocals of Dennis, or Brian for that matter, didn't quite fit that. Although LA. Light Album has plenty of Dennis.  I wonder if when Carl cleaned up, he voted to clean  up the bands image along with Mike and Al.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2014, 11:38:18 PM »

I don't have the dates in front of me, but wasn't Dennis fired around this time because of substance abuse? I wonder if they were trying to clean up their image as well. The rough vocals of Dennis, or Brian for that matter, didn't quite fit that. Although LA. Light Album has plenty of Dennis.  I wonder if when Carl cleaned up, he voted to clean  up the bands image along with Mike and Al.
Or it may have simply been that Dennis didn't want his songs on the album.
Nicko1234
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2014, 01:25:00 AM »

I seem to recall AGD`s liner notes saying something of the sort and mentioning that he showed considerable distaste for the material (rightly).

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2014, 06:14:58 AM »

I seem to recall AGD`s liner notes saying something of the sort and mentioning that he showed considerable distaste for the material (rightly).

The twofer liner notes say, (Endless Harmony)..."is the only cut on the album to feature Dennis Wilson (percussion): expressing considerable distaste for the material and undergoing problems with other band members (hence his  absence in the Goin' Platinum television program devoted to the making of the album), he took no further part in the sessions, the drumming chores falling to Gary Mallaber, Ricky Fataar and Scott Matthews (who at one point was reported to have replaced Dennis in the band)." Dated the year 2000 AGD

The blue version of The Complete Guide say: "...and, as with the MIU project, Dennis was all but absent, dissatisfied with the material and weary of the continuing feud between the Wilsons and the Love/Jardine duo." Dated the year 2004 AGD

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx