gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:45:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: L.A. (Light Album Ideal Track Order  (Read 5915 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 09:39:18 AM »

Not into doing alternative track orders but I wish Calendar Girl and California Feelin' would've been included.

I've always wondered why California Feelin' was not included here or elsewhere.  Soulful Ole' Man Sunshine, Sherry She Needs Me... nice tunes.  I never understood how this group found themselves hurting for material.

Why California Feelin' was not included on the LA album must be the single most questionable decision in the BB's career.

Absolutely! Imagine if they could've come up with a rendition similar to the cut-and-paste version we got on MiC, I mean with Brian singing the opening lines. That song would have been an instant classic. So, do we know why it didn't appear on L.A. (or any other late-70s album)? Did Bruce not approve its inclusion (for whatever reason)? Did Brian pull it back? Who thought it might be a better idea to close the album with a largely lifeless (compared to earlier versions) rendition of Shortenin' Bread?

I'm gonna piggyback on this, too. While it probably wouldn't have affected sales very much, but it might've improved the reviews/critical reception of the album a little, I believe that just by adding ONE SINGLE SONG - and subtracting one song - some of The Beach Boys' albums would be better by one grade.

Surf's Up - add "(Wouldn't It Be Nice) To Live Again" and subtract "Take A Load Off Your Feet" or "Student Demonstration Time"
15 Big Ones - add "Sea Cruise" and subtract "Talk To Me" or "A Casual Look"
M.I.U. - just add "Our Team", maybe close with it right after "Winds Of Change"
L.A. Light Album - add/close with "California Feeling" and subtract "Shortenin' Bread"
Keepin' The Summer Alive" - start Side B with "It's A Beautiful Day"
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 09:43:14 AM »

My alternates...

For LA LIGHT
Good Timin
Lady Linda
Full Sail
Angel Come Home
Still I Dream of It
Love Surrounds Me
Sumahama

Here Comes the Night (single mix)
Baby Blue
California Feelin'
Brian's Back
Goin' South
Shortnin' Bread
Country Pie

KTSA
Keepin' the Summer Alive
Goin' to the Beach
Da Doo Ron Ron
Oh Darlin
Some of Your Love
Wild Situation
Livin' with a Heartache
School Days

It's A Beautiful Day
Goin' On
Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love
Sunshine
When Girls Get Together
It's Not Too Late
Santa Ana Winds
Endless Harmony

Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 03:15:37 PM »

I was thinking about that PET SOUNDS interview from the fall of 1978 and Bruce... and just for grins, I compiled a mix of just about everything that was under consideration for LA LIGHT at that time, using the overall structure of the album.  I always felt the two weak points on the record (apart from the inclusion of the long version of HCTN) were the following:

Side One - seemed an abrupt transition between Angel Come Home and Love Surrounds Me.
Side Two - what's missing between Baby Blue and Goin' South.

Of course, all of this is obsessive/compulsive disorder at it's finest, but here's my mix.

Single teaser
COUNTRY PIE / Country Pie (live)

SIDE ONE:
Good Timin'
Lady Lynda
Full Sail
Angel Come Home
California Feelin' (MIC mix)
Love Surrounds Me
Sumahama (single mix)

SIDE TWO:
Here Comes the Night (single mix)
Baby Blue
Brian's Back
Calendar Girl
Santa Ana Winds ('78 mix)
Goin' South
Shortnin' Bread

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2014, 04:21:06 PM »

Tbh. I think the California Feelin' from MiC is severely lacking. Most notably those heavy drums ruin the song for me. Brian's vocals are nice because it's Brian but the double 'california feelin' first alone and then the group does the song no favours.

I really prefer a version more like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTEOvYfViHU

Really good editing btw if the maker is on this board.  Wink
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2014, 07:09:33 AM »

<<Tbh. I think the California Feelin' from MiC is severely lacking. Most notably those heavy drums ruin the song for me. Brian's vocals are nice because it's Brian but the double 'california feelin' first alone and then the group does the song no favours.>>

This is surprising.  The you tube example you provided sounded like the same, flat. demo from the sessions we've heard all the years.  For me, the drum sound on the demo is particularly horrible.

I loved what Alan Boyd did to California Feelin' on MIC.  The remix of the drums, with the echo, give the some some badly needed sonic depth.  His repositioning of the bg vocals in the last section as a call and response with Carl give it a shimmering church-like quality... and double tracking Bruce so he sings harmony with himself on the last chorus really polished the song for me.  And the addition of Brian's vocals, particularly the humorous bit at the beginning ("...like most days...") was the icing on the cake.  I thought Boyd turned the flat 1978 demo into a classic, finished track.  It's both loose, impromptu and polished, with gorgeous vocals.  Together with the "faders up" mix of Rock & Roll Music, the new mixes of Brian's Back and It's A Beautiful Day (with the cute keyboard fills on the chorus) and Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again, the new California Feelin' makes disc 4 my favorite from MIC.
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 07:54:33 AM »

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:31:04 PM by ThyRavenAscend » Logged

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx