gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:26:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: L.A. (Light Album Ideal Track Order  (Read 5926 times)
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2014, 07:13:34 PM »

What is everyone's  Ideal Track order for the L.A. (Light Album?  I will post mine this week

I had a fast Life
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 07:34:44 PM »

I'll start it off.  Here's mine:

Side One

1. Good Timin'
2. Lady Lynda
3. Full Sail
4. Angel Come Home
5. Love Surrounds Me
6. Sumahama

Side Two

1. Here Comes the Night
2. Baby Blue
3. Goin' South
4. Shortenin' Bread 

Dennis' songs sure saved that album, didn't they?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 08:46:51 PM »

SIDE ONE:

1. Rainbows
2. 10,000 Years
3. Skatetown U.S.A.
4. Lookin' Down The Coast
5. Angel Come Home
6. Brian's Back

SIDE TWO:

1. California Feelin'
2. Love Surrounds Me
3. Sumahama
4. Country Pie
5. Baby Blue
6. Brand New Old Friends

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 11:29:03 PM »

I'll start it off.  Here's mine:

Side One

1. Good Timin'
2. Lady Lynda
3. Full Sail
4. Angel Come Home
5. Love Surrounds Me
6. Sumahama

Side Two

1. Here Comes the Night
2. Baby Blue
3. Goin' South
4. Shortenin' Bread 

Dennis' songs sure saved that album, didn't they?

This is my  ideal track order, except Here Comes The Night is replaced with an 11 minute version of Shortenin' Bread. It's still at the end, Baby Blue & Goin' South are just bumped up.

Dennis' songs definitely saved the album, though I much rather would have had a L.A. (Light Album) that was entirely mediocre and a legit release of Bambu instead of that multi-disc re-release of our dear Pacific Ocean Blue.

But hey, can't go back in time and change the past, now can we? We'd throw this entire future we're living in into some sort of chaotic freakshow.

No mas, por favor.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 11:35:20 PM »

Playing a little fast and loose with the actual time period, but good enough for me...
bluesno1fann
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 12:58:23 AM »

1. Good Timin'
2. Lady Lynda
3. Full Sail
4. Angel Come Home
5. Love Surrounds Me
6. It's A Beautiful Day
7. Here Comes The Night (Single Version)
8. Baby Blue
9. Don't Fight The Sea
10. Goin' South
11. Shortenin' Bread 

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 01:55:44 AM »

The Beach Boys "L.A. (Leftovers Album)"

1. Soulful Old Man Sunshine
2. Do You Like Worms
3. A Time To Live In Dreams
4. H.E.L.P. Is On The Way
5. I'm Begging You Please
6. Our Team
7. I Just Got My Pay

1. (Wouldn't It Be Nice) To Live Again
2. Still I Dream Of It
3. San Miguel
4. It's Trying To Say
5. Fourth of July
6. It's Over Now

Save the better tracks on the actual album for "Bambu" and "Keepin' the Summer Alive" (much needed on the latter)

Please delete my account
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 02:52:01 AM »

Not into doing alternative track orders but I wish Calendar Girl and California Feelin' would've been included.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 05:31:30 AM »

Really don't like Calendar Girl. As for KTSA, let it flatline
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 07:33:58 AM »

As I've said many times, I love this album almost as is.  I just cannot stand Shortenin' Bread.  I think the running order is good as well and I would keep the disco version of HCTN...it's a time piece and well produced.  So here it is:

Good Timin'  
Lady Lynda  
Full Sail  
Angel Come Home  
Love Surrounds Me  
Sumahama  

Here Comes The Night  
Baby Blue  
Goin' South  
California Feelin'  
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 07:35:35 AM by job » Logged
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 09:11:03 AM »

I love this thread.  My main issues with this album are side two.  The short version of HCTN and two more songs would have made it tremendous.  I wish there had been a finished version of COUNTRY PIE by the Beach Boys.  As I've said before, many of us at the time thought Country Pie and Lady Lynda would be the lead off singles from the first CBS album.

There's a fascinating couple of articles in the final issue of PET SOUNDS from the fall of 1978 about the making of this album, specifically a couple of interviews with Bruce dealing with tracks being considered for the record.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 10:14:58 AM »

Couldn't have written it better myself:  http://www.musicbanter.com/album-reviews/17601-beach-boys-l-light-album.html
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 10:45:23 AM »

Yep , a very good review and not far from my thoughts on the album HOWEVER i took exception to the following comment

I'm glad Brian didn't produce the album. Given his state of mind at the time, we probably would have been looking at another synth mess, similar to The Beach Boys Love You

Love You ( a synth mess Huh ) is one of my favourite albums of all time by anybody !
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 11:32:02 AM »

I think it's a way too positive view. It's their best album until TWGMTR and thei best album after Love You, and it is, on a certain level, enjoyable (more so than MIU) but it's only half decent and the sad thing is, there other tracks from that period that could have improved it. Sumahama, for one, would not be my first choice track off Mike's aborted solo album (and if I had to use it I'd skip the section with the Japanese lyrics; I prefer the lush harmonies on the LA version though). While I can take one Carl ballad, two in the same style is one too many. The less said about HCTN and Shortenin' Bread the better.

Imagine it with Lookin' Down The Coast, Santa Ana Winds. California Feelin', Country Pie. We may not be talking great art, but that would be a pretty substantial album. Of course, knowing the BB, they'd replace Baby Blue, Good Timin' or Angel Come Home...
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 11:56:15 AM »

I think it's a way too positive view. It's their best album until TWGMTR and thei best album after Love You, and it is, on a certain level, enjoyable (more so than MIU) but it's only half decent and the sad thing is, there other tracks from that period that could have improved it. Sumahama, for one, would not be my first choice track off Mike's aborted solo album (and if I had to use it I'd skip the section with the Japanese lyrics; I prefer the lush harmonies on the LA version though). While I can take one Carl ballad, two in the same style is one too many. The less said about HCTN and Shortenin' Bread the better.

Imagine it with Lookin' Down The Coast, Santa Ana Winds. California Feelin', Country Pie. We may not be talking great art, but that would be a pretty substantial album. Of course, knowing the BB, they'd replace Baby Blue, Good Timin' or Angel Come Home...
HCTN is fine on there, but the single version would have worked so much better. I absolutely agree with the rest of your post. These guys had a bad track record for releasing bad songs, but keeping some really good stuff in the can.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 01:12:30 PM »

Yep , a very good review and not far from my thoughts on the album HOWEVER i took exception to the following comment

I'm glad Brian didn't produce the album. Given his state of mind at the time, we probably would have been looking at another synth mess, similar to The Beach Boys Love You

Love You ( a synth mess Huh ) is one of my favourite albums of all time by anybody !

I totally agree with you that Love You is incredibly good.  Even the author indicates a liking for Love You when taken in full context: "...another synth mess, similar to The Beach Boys Love You, but with results nowhere near as pleasing."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 01:17:57 PM »

I'd rather have a synth mess than an uninspired mess.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 02:12:17 PM »

>Couldn't have written it better myself:  http://www.musicbanter.com/album-reviews/17601-beach-boys-l-light-album.html>>

This is a great article and review and completely mirrors my feelings about this album.  I was really blown away by this record when it came out.  It was thrilling to hear this band release something so contemporary, polished and relevant to 1979.  It was innovative, artistic, polished and a real stretch. Three 1960s icons released excellent albums in 1979 that all pushed the limits of contemporary sound while remaining true to their roots... and none of these three albums were huge sellers.  But they all have great music.
MCGUINN, CLARK & HILLMAN (Self-titled, with hit Don't You Write Her Off)
WINGS - BACK TO THE EGG (no hit single)
THE BEACH BOYS - L.A. LIGHT

All three of these records are worth a new listen. 

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 03:10:33 PM »

Three 1960s icons released excellent albums in 1979 that all pushed the limits of contemporary sound while remaining true to their roots... and none of these three albums were huge sellers.  But they all have great music.
MCGUINN, CLARK & HILLMAN (Self-titled, with hit Don't You Write Her Off)
WINGS - BACK TO THE EGG (no hit single)
THE BEACH BOYS - L.A. LIGHT

All three of these records are worth a new listen.  

OMG Yes!  The M, C & H record was incredibly good (and btw included a disco-esque tune called Release Me Girl).
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 03:14:01 PM »

I'd rather have a synth mess than an uninspired mess.

Maybe it's just uninspirING from your perspective.

In any event, two very different albums indeed...both of which I love.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:15:51 PM by job » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 12:33:42 AM »

I really wouldn't change anything about LA, other than trimming down the long HCTN (they could have saved that for the 12 inch single), and adding in It's a Beautiful Day. I liked the McGuinn, Clark and Hillman album, too, although Roger's presence on that one was rather muted - and yet one of his 2 songs became the hit single.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 09:42:46 PM »

Not into doing alternative track orders but I wish Calendar Girl and California Feelin' would've been included.

I've always wondered why California Feelin' was not included here or elsewhere.  Soulful Ole' Man Sunshine, Sherry She Needs Me... nice tunes.  I never understood how this group found themselves hurting for material.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 03:34:20 AM »

I've always wondered why California Feelin' was not included here or elsewhere.  Soulful Ole' Man Sunshine, Sherry She Needs Me... nice tunes.  I never understood how this group found themselves hurting for material.

Why California Feelin' was not included on the LA album must be the single most questionable decision in the BB's career.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 03:50:21 AM »

Why California Feelin' was not included on the LA album must be the single most questionable decision in the BB's career.

Absolutely! Imagine if they could've come up with a rendition similar to the cut-and-paste version we got on MiC, I mean with Brian singing the opening lines. That song would have been an instant classic. So, do we know why it didn't appear on L.A. (or any other late-70s album)? Did Bruce not approve its inclusion (for whatever reason)? Did Brian pull it back? Who thought it might be a better idea to close the album with a largely lifeless (compared to earlier versions) rendition of Shortenin' Bread?
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 09:28:23 AM »

There's gotta be a reason for these types of decisions.  Maybe the group was afraid to touch a Brian song/production and finish it on there own, perhaps?  I can understand that.  And respect it too.

But... in general, the fact that they relied on (or wanted to) include their own stuff over Brian's inspired music is odd.  I know they tried and tried to get Brian to work, to no avail.  I get that.  But how hard would it have been to have a tape recorder next to his house piano.  I can imagine hundreds of gems were banged out at 2 in the morning, with no one around.

Brian may have been lazy and "lost" -- but I guarantee he was and alway will be a spring of musical ideas.  They should have hired some mind gangsters to follow him 24/7, with a tape recorder.  Paid the maid perhaps?

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx