gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:42:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Is Reality - Belles Of Madness  (Read 3089 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2014, 12:14:12 PM »

Anybody else like this one? From the Rob Wasserman album 'Trios'.

Carnie Wilson in perhaps her finest hour of singing. The background vocals by her ol' man sound pretty darn good too. 'Cept for maybe the clangin' shortenin' bread ending.

I use to think the "bells of madness" was what Brian was hearing in his head. Lyrics written for him.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 01:10:34 PM »

I like it. Carnie in great vocal form.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 01:46:27 PM »

Carnie sounds wonderful on this track - really heart-felt and a little, a smidge, world weary but still strong.

The track is a bit of Brian Wilson by numbers - when the Shortenin'n Bread bit kicked in, I thought o'f*** no, but found myself boppin' along a few moments later.

Once viewed, I then took a little Youtoob journey to the Mondays Without You vid, with the delightful Wendy Wilson looking most delightful - so thanks x 2, Mikie

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 02:17:15 PM »

Very good song, from around the time of the collaboration with Don Was. The rumours were Brian was going back to recording organically with members of the 'Wrecking Crew' involved.  I thought it was a great idea but it never came to much unfortunately.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 02:24:22 PM »

Co-written by Sam Phillips I think? Good song, great vocal from Carrie.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 02:28:04 PM »

More like co-written by Brian; from what I hear, the only thing he wrote was the "Shortnin' Bread" part.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 02:36:08 PM »

Here's a really weird story of Brian referencing old material in the studio in the '90s from http://smileysmile.net/OLDlibrary/timeline.html:

Don returned and they adjourned to the studio where Roger sat at the piano and began playing a melody that he and Andy had worked on the previous day. With no lyrics at that stage, Roger began repeating a simple phrase, "Wish it would rain" which seemed to galvanise Brian into action. He pulled up a stool next to Roger at the keyboards (Roger describes it as the most nerve-wracking moment of his life, especially since there was no daylight between them and, as he puts it, "Brian was sitting closer than my girlfriend had ever gotten to me"). Brian agreed that the words were a good fit, and began singing a backgound vocal behind Roger's lead, consisting of the same phrase. Gradually, they found a groove and Brian's voice began to soar at full volume. Then, straight out of left field, Brian changed the whole complexion of the song by shifting it into a doo-wop celebration, singing "Oh I wish, I wish, I wish it would rain..." which completely fried Roger's brain. He was now in heaven.

Needing a bridge, and sensing that Brian was cooking on all thrusters, Andy and Roger asked him to oblige. Brian's reply was quite unexpected: "O.K., let's insert Surfer Girl bridge here..", which left everyone else nonplussed but as Roger later reflected, the song had by then developed a feel not unlike the Beach Boys classic. However, the anticipated creative evolution of the bridge then failed to materialise, meaning that they were stuck, quite literally, with the bridge from "Surfer Girl". After minimal tweaking, no amount of coaxing would persuade Brian that any further work on the bridge was necessary.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 03:08:13 PM »

Co-written by Sam Phillips I think? Good song, great vocal from Carrie.

Not that Sam Phillips.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 03:54:54 PM »

Really like this track. No matter what proportion BW wrote, it's got a good feel. So many of his collabs are all the better for the way his involvement shines through.

“We live in divisive times.”
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 08:28:16 PM »

LOVE this song! It kind of deserves a release on a Brian Wilson album, it's so biographical. It's cool that it was on that Trios album, but to me, this sounds like Brian and his daughter singing about himself. The Shortenin Bread part is SOOO rockin! I love it! This and Metal Beach are my favorite versions of Shortenin Bread riffs.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx