gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:55:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Little Girl I Once Knew - 45 version vs. Alternate Hawthorne, CA version  (Read 8883 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2014, 11:51:36 AM »

I think the Alternate Hawthorne, CA version blows the original 45 version out of the water, but maybe that's just me, and maybe just because it sounds more new and fresh to my ears.

Pros on the Alternate Hawthorne, CA version: the a capella break rules the school, everything sounds more clear and less muddy sounding, and there's a missing layer or two of "bow bow" vocal sweetening (which I actually prefer being missing).
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 12:04:38 PM »

I forgot this existed...for some reason, Hawthorne CA, along with all the goodies on there, is often a forgotten gem in my collection.

I love the a cappella break, but overall prefer the original version.

Listening to Barbara Ann without the additional party overdubs. I like it.

The extended version of Vegetables is probably my favorite on this collection, along with A Time To Live in dreams.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:05:24 PM »

Best one I've heard so far is a home made stereo mix by somebody on this board recently. Might be up on YouTube. Excellent. You hear everything, and the almost perfect stereo spacial range really makes the song sound that much better. The bass on that........anybody here ever hear the bass part by itself? Transition song between Summer Days and Pet Sounds. Just a fantastic track. Guy was really on a roll back then.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 12:14:56 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 12:26:36 PM »

seltaeb1012002 did that recent Stereo mix of TLGIOK. Here's the thread, unfortunately the download link for the song is dead: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13886.0.html

It really is a perfect mix - every instrument sounds so clear, yet the bass is still very prominent.

As for the Hawthorne mix or the 45, I've gotta go with the 45. Hawthorne version sounds too sparse/clean, and the a cappella break (which worked perfectly with Sloop) doesn't seem to fit at all.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 12:31:30 AM »

I'm probably completely misremembering here, but isn't that mix something Chuck did for his own amusement (as per the Desper version of "'Til I Die") ? Sure I read that somewhere... but then, I was convinced Herbert Lom died about 20 years before he actually did, so...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 03:30:37 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiBj14V5zc8

Smiley

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »

I'm probably completely misremembering here, but isn't that mix something Chuck did for his own amusement (as per the Desper version of "'Til I Die") ? Sure I read that somewhere... but then, I was convinced Herbert Lom died about 20 years before he actually did, so...
I think you're right Andrew -- whereas the alternate "Help Me, Rhonda"  with the falsetto vocal was considered to be an alternate master, I believe the alternate "The Little Girl I Once Knew" was just a practice mix.  The fade out of the instrumental track for the a cappella break and the fade back in is really sloppy as compared to the same effect on "Sloop John B."

Lee
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 08:26:59 AM »

seltaeb1012002 did that recent Stereo mix of TLGIOK. Here's the thread, unfortunately the download link for the song is dead: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13886.0.html

Re-up!
http://www45.zippyshare.com/v/1258698/file.html
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 08:47:49 PM »

Does the alt version (Hawthorne CA) have a Carl vocal that's more prominent?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 10:31:42 PM »

WOW, what a mix!!!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 05:20:13 AM »

Re-up!

What a cool mix! Thank you!

TLGIOK is such an underrated song. I wish it would've been a bigger hit (it was a hit nonetheless). BTW is it true that "Barbara Ann" was released while TLGIOK was still climbing or is that just one of the many myths? I can see this song blowing a lot of minds back in the day. For the live band it probably would've been a b!tch to perform on stage. Even harder than "Good Vibrations" .
Marvellous record!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 05:51:15 AM »

Re-up!
What a cool mix! Thank you!
TLGIOK is such an underrated song. I wish it would've been a bigger hit (it was a hit nonetheless). BTW is it true that "Barbara Ann" was released while TLGIOK was still climbing or is that just one of the many myths? I can see this song blowing a lot of minds back in the day. For the live band it probably would've been a b!tch to perform on stage. Even harder than "Good Vibrations" .
Marvellous record!
Please add my thanks.  It is the song that made a fan out of me!  (That's Why God Made the Radio!  LOL )

I'd love to see it in the setlist.  It is so underrated as someone above put it.  It was a thrill to hear it at a soundcheck during C50. 
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 07:43:10 AM »

I was thinking how Brian opened with it at Roxy and all those early 2000 shows, it makes total sense that he'd want to perform something like that, something that didn't do well on charts (as well as he wanted I should say) and wasn't performed in a live setting (as far as I know). It's really regarded as a greatest hit (vol 2 at least), but it's not known as well by the Barbara Ann/Mike Love crowd (I would presume).

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 07:49:51 AM »

I was thinking how Brian opened with it at Roxy [...]
I love the version on that CD!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 08:28:59 AM »

It really is a perfect mix - every instrument sounds so clear, yet the bass is still very prominent.

Yeah, that's the one.   Smiley

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 09:58:13 AM »

BTW is it true that "Barbara Ann" was released while TLGIOK was still climbing or is that just one of the many myths?

According to the Bellagio, TLGIOK had been out as a single for 6 weeks when Barbara Ann came out, climbing from 69 - 42 - 32 - 26 - 21 - 20, which it peaked at.

On it's sixth week, when it peaked on the charts, Barbara Ann first charted at 81 next week TLGIOK fell to 34 while Barbara Ann went up to 58, then the next week with TLGIOK at 58 and Barbara Ann at 31. After that, it's eighth week, it fell off the charts, while Barbara Ann stayed on the charts for another eight weeks, and stayed in the live sets long enough for Carl to call it the bane of his life.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 10:35:33 AM »

Re-up!

Thanks, that is SO rad.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 12:10:59 PM »

Another terrific piece of work by seltaeb...matching it more, I suspect, to the backing track as it's heard on SOT 11. Sounds as though there needed to be a couple of tradeoffs in order to bring so much up in the track mix--I miss Hal Blaine's fabulous drum fill leading into the final chorus, for one--but, man, it is such a DYNAMIC track and this mix is the closest to perfection for it. Has always been, and always will be, a "top ten" song in the canon for me.

More, seltaeb, MORE!!!  Thumbs Up
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 12:38:06 PM »

Glad u guys like my remix!

Speaking of, how come there hasn't been an official stereo remix? Were the masters lost a la Good Vibrations? Apologies if this has been explained already (I'm sure it has - just drawing a blank!)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 12:41:29 PM »

Btw, looks like the alternate version is on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA0Y38bd8S0
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 07:08:40 AM »

Glad u guys like my remix!

Speaking of, how come there hasn't been an official stereo remix? Were the masters lost a la Good Vibrations? Apologies if this has been explained already (I'm sure it has - just drawing a blank!)

Brian erased the master to record one of the "Psycodelic Sounds" things or something of the sort in '66. Breaks my heart EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 10:58:45 PM »

The bass on that........anybody here ever hear the bass part by itself? Transition song between Summer Days and Pet Sounds. Just a fantastic track.

Really? The only thing I don't like about TLGIOK is the bass guitar playing these tedious quarter notes. It could have played some nice rhythmical coloratures like on Pet Sounds. Or at least shuffled eighths to make it more driving.

I remember in the days when I discovered the BBs and I found this Best Of CD at the store that had TLGIOK and Surf's Up on it which I hadn't heard either yet. I was blown away by TGIOK's beauty and found Surf's Up bland in comparison. Too bad Brian didn't finish that track himself.

Barbara Ann stayed on the charts for another eight weeks, and stayed in the live sets long enough for Carl to call it the bane of his life.

And AGD's life. Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 12:38:59 AM »

Barbara Ann stayed on the charts for another eight weeks, and stayed in the live sets long enough for Carl to call it the bane of his life.

And AGD's life. Cheesy

Alas, so true... so true...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2015, 12:50:54 PM »

The best recording by the group to come out of 1965…and has hints of my all-time favorite recording: "Cabin Essence."
hatredcopter
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2015, 10:34:26 AM »

Would any good Samaritan out there be willing to re-up seltaeb's stereo remix? I've been searching far and wide for a go-to version of the song, and it sounds like seltaeb's got everyone's stamp of approval.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx