gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681020 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 01:35:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Voices In His Head  (Read 2780 times)
leftybass77
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2014, 07:31:11 AM »

I was reading about paranoid schizophrenia and thought about Brian today and found a great interview with him. He's so honest at times it always moves me.

Excerpt:
Wilson: Well, for the past 40 years I’ve had auditory hallucinations in my head, all day every day, and I can’t get them out. Every few minutes the voices say something derogatory to me, which discourages me a little bit, but I have to be strong enough to say to them, “Hey, would you quit stalking me? F*** off! Don’t talk to me—leave me alone!” I have to say these types of things all day long. It’s like a fight.

Friedman: Do you think the voices were part of what made it difficult for you to go on stage for many years?
Wilson: Yes, because when I was on stage I could hear voices telling me negative things about myself. Even today, when I sing I have to force myself not listen to them. But when the concert is over, the voices come back.

Cooper: How old were you when the voices started?
Wilson: About 25.

Friedman: So you were already a successful musician when they started.
Wilson: Right. I believe they started picking on me because they are jealous. The voices in my head are jealous of me.

Cooper: How long did it take after they started before you really understood what was going on?
Wilson: Oh, I knew right from the start something was wrong. I’d taken some psychedelic drugs, and then about a week after that I started hearing voices, and they’ve never stopped. For a long time I thought to myself, “Oh, I can’t deal with this.” But I learned to deal with it anyway.

Credits Murray:
Cooper: Was there some crazy piece of luck that propelled you, being in the right place at the right time?
Wilson: A lot of it was my dad. He took us to a really good recording studio and helped us out a lot. But he was also pretty tough at times. He scared me so much with his yelling—he would be yelling and poking fingers in my chest, screaming, “Get in there and kick ass and make a good record.””All I could say was, “Okay Dad, all right.” But then we’d go ahead and cut something great like “Good Vibrations” or “California Girls.”

Gillian Friedman, MD: So you had a little inside knowledge about what was necessary to break into the business.
Wilson: Yeah, my dad taught me a lot.

http://www.abilitymagazine.com/past/brianW/brianw.html
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 07:34:06 AM by leftybass77 » Logged
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 08:03:57 AM »

I bet that's really hard to deal with. Sad
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 09:28:34 AM »

I was reading about paranoid schizophrenia and thought about Brian today and found a great interview with him. He's so honest at times it always moves me.

Excerpt:
Wilson: Well, for the past 40 years I’ve had auditory hallucinations in my head, all day every day, and I can’t get them out. Every few minutes the voices say something derogatory to me, which discourages me a little bit, but I have to be strong enough to say to them, “Hey, would you quit stalking me? F*** off! Don’t talk to me—leave me alone!” I have to say these types of things all day long. It’s like a fight.

Friedman: Do you think the voices were part of what made it difficult for you to go on stage for many years?
Wilson: Yes, because when I was on stage I could hear voices telling me negative things about myself. Even today, when I sing I have to force myself not listen to them. But when the concert is over, the voices come back.

Cooper: How old were you when the voices started?
Wilson: About 25.

Friedman: So you were already a successful musician when they started.
Wilson: Right. I believe they started picking on me because they are jealous. The voices in my head are jealous of me.

Cooper: How long did it take after they started before you really understood what was going on?
Wilson: Oh, I knew right from the start something was wrong. I’d taken some psychedelic drugs, and then about a week after that I started hearing voices, and they’ve never stopped. For a long time I thought to myself, “Oh, I can’t deal with this.” But I learned to deal with it anyway.

Credits Murray:
Cooper: Was there some crazy piece of luck that propelled you, being in the right place at the right time?
Wilson: A lot of it was my dad. He took us to a really good recording studio and helped us out a lot. But he was also pretty tough at times. He scared me so much with his yelling—he would be yelling and poking fingers in my chest, screaming, “Get in there and kick ass and make a good record.””All I could say was, “Okay Dad, all right.” But then we’d go ahead and cut something great like “Good Vibrations” or “California Girls.”

Gillian Friedman, MD: So you had a little inside knowledge about what was necessary to break into the business.
Wilson: Yeah, my dad taught me a lot.

http://www.abilitymagazine.com/past/brianW/brianw.html

Hi ; that a good interview of Brian you posted . Actually if you want to read up on Brian's mental health issue, you should check out Schizo Affective Disorder which is the actual diagnosis for Brian. The Eugene Landy diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia was discredited a long time ago by Brian's legitimate doctors. Schizo Affective Disorder brings out depression , which can also be manifested in auditory hallucinations; whereas paranoid schizophrenia results in delusional behaviour. My understanding is that Brian was predisposed to S.A.D and would have eventually suffered that path , drugs or no drugs.  The drugs just jump started the process; as I said, this is my understanding .
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 10:24:56 AM »

Every time this subject is brought up, I think of the Diane Sawyer interview during the Landy years. Brian said he saw the Devil in the shower head. His face contorts and he can't answer a couple of specific questions. Hope the medication he takes these days has remedied the problem. Ray, do you know what drug(s) Brian is currently taking on a daily/weekly basis?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 10:53:56 AM »

Every time this subject is brought up, I think of the Diane Sawyer interview during the Landy years. Brian said he saw the Devil in the shower head. His face contorts and he can't answer a couple of specific questions. Hope the medication he takes these days has remedied the problem. Ray, do you know what drug(s) Brian is currently taking on a daily/weekly basis?

Mikie ; the stuff Landy had Brian on was a molotov cocktail for him ; the Diane Sawyer inteview is exhibit "a" for the destructiveness of that program. Brian is on totally different medication today with which he manages his issues.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »

I've seen the term "Tardive Schizophrenia" bandied about.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 11:32:45 AM »

I have seen that one too....that's a negatve
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 07:21:13 PM »

It's a miracle he has done as well as he has.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 07:58:45 PM »

It really is. What willpower. Wilsonpower.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 09:08:05 PM »

The term is tardive dyskinesia, and it's a condition that is most often caused by taking anti-psychotic drugs. It's not a mental issue.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 09:17:44 PM »

Yeah, that's it. It was discussed on another thread awhile back. I gave three conditions that Brian supposedly has, including that one. I took Ray's response as saying "negative", that Brian doesn't have this condition.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 09:30:04 PM »

If Brian did have tardive dyskenesia, he'd have been prescribed tetrabenazine, and one of the side effects for that is the inability to remain still and/or seated...i really doubt Brian would be sitting down during the duration of his shows if he was on that specific medication. More importantly,  the main side effect is severe depression,  and it is not prescribed to those suffering or who have suffered from severe depression.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx