gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:16:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: album of live BB performances released october 21 on Rhapsody music  (Read 7749 times)
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2014, 10:05:28 AM »

Friends, what is this album I just see popping up on my Rhapsody music subscription?  It has songs on it like "Judy" "Barbee" that I never heard of...just listening now. Piros/Send is the listed label.

update: Ride the Wild Surf here sounds like Jan and Dean (either instead or in addition to the BB); WIBN is here in a live version that sounds like one from the London album, with Al really murdering the lyrics. Luau is on here--never heard of that one.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 10:21:17 AM by the professor » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 10:22:29 AM »

Friends, what is this album I just see popping up on my Rhapsody music subscription?  It has songs on it like "Judy" "Barbee" that I never heard of...just listening now. Piros/Send is the listed label.

Barbie and Judy were some of those Hite Morgan era, pre-Capitol recordings that the Boys (or Brian solo) made and which have been released and re-released several times over. Think of it like the Tony Sheridan Beatles tapes, they're not under the same licensing and usage agreements as the main catalog so any number of nameless labels have released them through the years.

One of the actual collections/compilations of these Morgan tracks to seek out is "Lost And Found" on DCC, IMO.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 10:54:56 AM »

So nothing new for you old hands, eh? But a fun ride for us lesser scholars. Thanks, oh  fearful leader!

Friends, what is this album I just see popping up on my Rhapsody music subscription?  It has songs on it like "Judy" "Barbee" that I never heard of...just listening now. Piros/Send is the listed label.

Barbie and Judy were some of those Hite Morgan era, pre-Capitol recordings that the Boys (or Brian solo) made and which have been released and re-released several times over. Think of it like the Tony Sheridan Beatles tapes, they're not under the same licensing and usage agreements as the main catalog so any number of nameless labels have released them through the years.

One of the actual collections/compilations of these Morgan tracks to seek out is "Lost And Found" on DCC, IMO.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 01:13:06 AM »

The Legendary AGD is amazed, shocked even, that the professor has until now been totally unaware of the B side to the first single, and other Morgan-era tracks. The Legendary AGD is even more astounded that the professor would admit such in this forum, knowing that such an admission will forever, and perchance fatally, compromise his future credibility.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 05:22:40 AM »

I believe the following sentence is in order:
1) Grab your favorite Beach Boys book off the shelf.  Doesn't matter who the author is (Leaf, Preiss, Carlin, White, Doe, Stebbins, Elliott, Barnes, Anthony, etc.)
2) Begin reading at chapter 1, page 1
3) Book report due Monday
 Smiley
Lee
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 06:05:12 AM »

1) Grab your favorite Beach Boys book off the shelf.  Doesn't matter who the author is (Leaf, Preiss, Carlin, White, Doe, Stebbins, Elliott, Barnes, Anthony, etc.)
 Smiley
Lee

Leaf's would just give the professor a heart attack.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 06:20:48 AM »

Read "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and write me an essay titled 'Why This Book Is B.S.'. :-P

(That would be about as worthwhile as all the kids in my high school who wrote book reports on the only Lennon biography we had.... you guessed it, Albert Goldman's.)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 07:43:45 AM »

Smiley
Lee
And change name from The Professor to The Student.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 07:53:59 AM »

Also, I'm afraid there must be a temporary hold on speaking in the third person until re-education is complete. I don't make the rules!
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 08:06:46 AM »

Smiley
Lee
On second thought, if you select Timothy White's book, you will be about 200 pages in before you hit the Morgan Sessions.   Roll Eyes
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 08:50:04 AM »

1) Grab your favorite Beach Boys book off the shelf.  Doesn't matter who the author is (Leaf, Preiss, Carlin, White, Doe, Stebbins, Elliott, Barnes, Anthony, etc.)
 Smiley
Lee
And change name from The Professor to The Student.

Bow Bow Bow Bow

The Legendary AGD expresses his unanimous approbation for Mr. Stebbins' outstanding notion.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 08:52:12 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 09:14:57 AM »

Thank you for the loving attentions, lads. I am never ashamed to admit something is new to me.  No one should ever fear that; it's the first rule of being both a student and a professor, and it is, frankly, how we learn. I think my fav BB DM is prominent in those songs, so I will look up a reference or two. Professors are always students. I never , ever posture with knowledge about the BB, but rather with delight about my own passionate opinions and reactions. I like the burgers at FF in Hawthorne, but I never pose as a historian.  I do not know if this period of recording will find it's way into my class, but I will familiarize myself with it. My course is, as you know, less of a historical survey than an engagement with the local mythologies and aesthetic expressions of the BB as LA artists (Doors and Ritchie Valens are the others in my class).  But if I know more it can only help.

Well, I make the mistake of responding conversationally to the ribbing, instead of just enjoying it, which I am. But remember, my title is real but really has inherently nothing to do with the BB, about which I am ever learning from my scholar friends here, in an attempt to give my students a deep aesthetic experience. The rubric of the class is "Reading LA," a freshman honors class about experiencing the aesthetic landscape of the city, and the BB  (and the other artists) fit in so well, and it was a delightful way to manifest the class and to meets its educational imperatives in the curriculum.

I will continue to seek and to learn from your collective wisdom here. Deep thanks.

The Professor.

Update: By the way, the Professor just ordered T. White's book to help follow up on this work. Again, thanks to all for the bibliographic references. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:28:32 AM by the professor » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 09:33:26 AM »

I think my fav BB DM is prominent in those songs, so I will look up a reference or two.

The Legendary AGD is once more shocked, amazed and, to be frank, more than somewhat dispirited at the professor's lamentable lack of the most basic Beach Boys knowledge, for if Mr. Marks is truly his "fav BB" then surely he would be aware of Mr. Marks' length of tenure and dates appertaining thereunto. The Legendary AGD opines that this is not arcane or obscure intelligence, but is truly what may be rightly referred to as "BB101", or in the vernacular, "common knowledge".
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:35:13 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 09:47:59 AM »

The rubric of the class is "Reading LA," a freshman honors class about experiencing the aesthetic landscape of the city, and the BB  (and the other artists) fit in so well,

Oh, that's interesting. A subject close to my heart... what else do you cover? A bit of James Ellroy? Shotgun Highway? Thom Andersen's hilarious deadpan Los Angeles Plays Itself? I'm surprised you don't already have White's book, it sounds right up your proverbial third person alley and definitely the sort of thing you inflict on students.

I leave you with... Jack Webb's Los Angeles: Home Address for Dreams that Never Came True

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eja45ZXotds
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:02:34 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 09:53:09 AM »

The professor never posed as a BB scholar or expert. He hasn't been rude to anyone here. Not a troll either: being insistent with one's views (the professor's being that the BBs have to reunite) doesn't qualify as troll behavior. He's shown good humor and stood corrected no problem many times. Why the aggression against him?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:54:03 AM by Challenger Putney » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 09:55:12 AM »

Male ego walkin' down the street...
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 10:02:23 AM »

Ontor, you are quite right, as those are some of the works one could do in such a class, but we have only 10 weeks, so the three bands (music, field trips, class presentations) filled the time up quickly.  If I were to move in the direction of noir, I would adopt Elroy and all that you suggest.   As for White, I look forward to it. I rely too heavily on Peter's book and on Jon's book on Dave. Time to expand

So I also just bought, Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys: The Complete Guide to their Music, prompted by our discussion, and which I have long wished to own.  So with 2 books in the mail, I once again thank you all for your Scottish school master style reprimands. We do indeed all need education.

much affection to all,

The Professor

The rubric of the class is "Reading LA," a freshman honors class about experiencing the aesthetic landscape of the city, and the BB  (and the other artists) fit in so well,

Oh, that's interesting. A subject close to my heart... what else do you cover? A bit of James Ellroy? Shotgun Highway? Thom Andersen's hilarious deadpan Los Angeles Plays Itself? I'm surprised you don't already have White's book, it sounds right up your proverbial third person alley.

I leave you with... Jack Webb's Los Angeles: Home Address for Dreams that Never Came True

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eja45ZXotds
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 11:00:22 AM »

So nothing new for you old hands, eh? But a fun ride for us lesser scholars. Thanks, oh  fearful leader!

Such a course sounds interesting. For me I've found that YouTube is a treasure trove of Los Angeles history, because I think the more cinema verite style films and newsreel footage, as well as collections of home movies and family photos, help tell the story and set the scene exactly as it was better than most other media, or even history books and the like. There is a sense of experiencing the full scope of everyday life that a simple photograph of a family posing in front of some landmark site in the 40's can provide which you simply don't get elsewhere. What were the fashions, what did the buildings look like, what were the cars parked on the street that day, what were the businesses and how did they look on the street in any given period of history. Fascinating.

I've also found a lot of value in watching period films, specifically the lower-budget crime drams and film noir that were shot in and around Los Angeles often on a shoestring budget. You get to see something closer to the heart of what things were actually like living in the city in the 40's or 50's because the filmmakers were going for realism and didn't have a large budget to recreate and build sets and locations so they would often film on the street, permits be damned, and the backgrounds showing that realism can be as fascinating as the actual plot and acting. And you also get to hear the lingo and the slang of the day, which in itself can be a fascinating lost aspect of history and culture specific to a certain era.

Jack Webb was mentioned: Another favorite. The early Dragnet episodes from the 50's offer a similar realistic look at the scenery and the locations of Los Angeles, beyond the storylines and the actual show itself. And even the 60's version of the show had Webb starting nearly every episode of the show with a travel-style montage of film clips showing various LA locations, and if you watch these closely you'll see known spots like Pandora's Box and other Sunset Strip pop-culture landmarks as they appeared in their native environment. It's putting a moving picture visual element to the history, and seeing this architecture and the locations as they were.

I'm unclear whether the course dips into the history, or is more of a modern-day take on the city and it's cultural landmarks, but the availability of historical multimedia along with living in the city so one could travel to the locations shown in various films for a then-and-now direct comparison seems like a great way to introduce those interested to the history of the area and everything surrounding it via pop culture and especially the entertainment media.

"Vintage Los Angeles" is a terrific resource, perhaps if you have not already done so, the "curator" of that resource Alison Martino (daughter of Al "aka Johnny Fontane" Martino) could possibly be contacted and could possibly provide some terrific educational and historical information and perspective to the students in the class in some way.

What I don't understand is "fearful leader", but I'll chalk that one up to the ribbing for now.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 11:23:18 AM »

And even the 60's version of the show had Webb starting nearly every episode of the show with a travel-style montage of film clips showing various LA locations, and if you watch these closely you'll see known spots like Pandora's Box and other Sunset Strip pop-culture landmarks as they appeared in their native environment.

Yeah, that video I linked is a montage I made of all the travelogue segments, including the Sunset Strip stuff! It kinda works as a nice paranoid little piece.

I've also found a lot of value in watching period films, specifically the lower-budget crime drams and film noir that were shot in and around Los Angeles often on a shoestring budget.

Anybody who loves this kind of thing, definitely needs to check out LOS ANGELES PLAYS ITSELF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIMZ9rUbv4s

Hmm it used to be on youtube in it's entirety fer free but I guess the official release nixed that. Well worth 4 bucks, watch it in chunks over a few days... keep a notepad handy for all the film titles it's going to fling at you that you'll need to track down! Have plenty of coffee and/or tea on hand to prevent going into a coma due to the hysterically hypnotic narration.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:58:23 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 11:55:42 AM »

I have meant to thanks CP for this kind note. Ontor is a delightful, Restoration Wit, whose every comment is informed by the artful manipulation of any number of rhetorical traditions. All his posts are insightful and delightful. Jon and Andrew are graybeards, my elders and betters, who see the professor, correctly, as a faithful epigone and want to make sure my learning on BB matters is up to snuff.  I cherish their (well hidden) affection and care for me. I am now reading White's book, which is distinguished by its artful control of cultural history and emotional insight.  What a great book and one I ought to have had long before now. This is why I appreciate the instruction. Andrew's catalogue is so full of "Andrew" and will bring delight if one enjoys that gruff and tumble, yet posh persona, which I do.  Can't get enough of him and the storehouse of information. Proud now to own both books.

best to all,

The Professor

quote author=Challenger Putney link=topic=18470.msg482217#msg482217 date=1414687989]
The professor never posed as a BB scholar or expert. He hasn't been rude to anyone here. Not a troll either: being insistent with one's views (the professor's being that the BBs have to reunite) doesn't qualify as troll behavior. He's shown good humor and stood corrected no problem many times. Why the aggression against him?
[/quote]
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »

I have meant to thanks CP for this kind note. Ontor is a delightful, Restoration Wit, whose every comment is informed by the artful manipulation of any number of rhetorical traditions. All his posts are insightful and delightful. Jon and Andrew are graybeards, my elders and betters, who see the professor, correctly, as a faithful epigone and want to make sure my learning on BB matters is up to snuff.  I cherish their (well hidden) affection and care for me. I am now reading White's book, which is distinguished by its artful control of cultural history and emotional insight.  What a great book and one I ought to have had long before now. This is why I appreciate the instruction. Andrew's catalogue is so full of "Andrew" and will bring delight if one enjoys that gruff and tumble, yet posh persona, which I do.  Can't get enough of him and the storehouse of information. Proud now to own both books.

best to all,

The Professor

quote author=Challenger Putney link=topic=18470.msg482217#msg482217 date=1414687989]
[/quote]

Basically you're thanking and taking a bow to those who made the most sarcastic remarks to you in this thread, going as far as to call it affection and care, while sarcastically replying to the straightforward and non-sarcastic answer I gave to your original question almost as soon as it was posted...and also completely ignoring or not acknowledging the several paragraphs I provided in reply regarding the history of Los Angeles, suggestions for following up with sources online and in the form of historians who are among the best and most respected authorities on exactly the subject matter you've been teaching and sharing, and basically tipping my cap by saying how interesting a course on the history as you presented would be, for me at least.

I could have gone sarcastic too, but notice that didn't happen. Yet those who did, suggesting so far as you needing to get more of an education, get your warm regards and appreciation, not to mention thanks.

Doesn't make sense. Or in another way of saying it, let me know now so my efforts and time in trying to share some information both requested and given out of what seemed to be a shared interest in a historical topic are not wasted and ignored or simply not cared about at all in the future.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »

best to all,

The Professor

Basically you're thanking and taking a bow to those who made the most sarcastic remarks to you in this thread, going as far as to call it affection and care, while sarcastically replying to the straightforward and non-sarcastic answer I gave to your original question almost as soon as it was posted...and also completely ignoring or not acknowledging the several paragraphs I provided in reply regarding the history of Los Angeles, suggestions for following up with sources online and in the form of historians who are among the best and most respected authorities on exactly the subject matter you've been teaching and sharing, and basically tipping my cap by saying how interesting a course on the history as you presented would be, for me at least.

I could have gone sarcastic too, but notice that didn't happen. Yet those who did, suggesting so far as you needing to get more of an education, get your warm regards and appreciation, not to mention thanks.

Doesn't make sense. Or in another way of saying it, let me know now so my efforts and time in trying to share some information both requested and given out of what seemed to be a shared interest in a historical topic are not wasted and ignored or simply not cared about at all in the future.

[/quote]

man alive!  You make some insightful posts here( and some long-winded rants at times)  but get over yourself. Please.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 02:51:26 PM »

best to all,

The Professor

I've got a thesaurus too.

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 09:58:46 PM »

Guitarfool,  I am remiss as well in writing to you to thank you for those references.  I have had to postpone considering them in detail, but I will, as they pertain to my interests and to the matter of the course I will teach again, if I were to transform it from the BB Doors, etc., to "LA" as a discursive landscape, the topic you address.  I too find the very existence of the City Hall building and the Dragnet mythos to be compelling. So, because you did make a most generous and serious intellectual contribution to the discussion, let me publicly express my thanks and my apologies for the delay in offering a proper response.  I will consult you further privately , if I may, but your heartfelt note demanded a public statement of thanks.

I will say I am puzzled by Andrew's post about a thesaurus, for I do not know to what he refers.  I have ill will for no man and understand the role of satire, though I do say that Guitarfool has shown such kindness, undisguised, that he has moved the Professor, who hopes that this post will be by him graciously received.

best to all,

The Professor

[/quote]
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 11:51:17 PM »

The Legendary AGD opines that whilst the professor is passingly adept at reading and using a thesaurus, he has displayed increasing ineptitude at correctly using the "quote" function on this august forum.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx