gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:11:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who has ever had a big slap from ebay ? For listing a ummmm you know what !  (Read 25177 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2014, 12:30:09 PM »

And was he Vigotone vinyl reissued by another bootlegger? I have a triple coloured vinyl Smile, same track listing but pretty sure it has no Vigotone logo (haven't looked at it in a long while!)

“We live in divisive times.”
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2014, 12:39:52 PM »

But that's all there is?  Like, once I get the Second Edition I'll be done?  (I have the first edition + Vigotone in the mail + Sea Of Tunes already.)

As far as Smile boots on vinyl, that's pretty much all that was available in the early to mid-80's (when they were made). Most of that material was circulating on cassette tape amongst collectors before it made it onto vinyl. CD's started coming into production around 1985 and bootleg CDR's and factory silvers followed suit not long after.

There were other vinyl bootlegs in the early 80's (See Beach Boys Collector's Series) and there were even copies of Smile slicks available, but the ones you noted above pretty much covered it. I may have missed one or two vinyl Smile albums that came out later that I'm forgetting, but I don't think so. Even those bootleg vinyl copies were transferred to CD's in the late 80's/early 90's until more material became available, then CD was the primary format.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2014, 01:39:28 PM »

Well, I bought the Second Edition so hopefully I'll be done.

But yeah, there seems to be two editions of the Vigotone variant - one with Brother Records labels, and one with blank labels.  I assume the later is a knockoff?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2014, 01:55:26 PM »

Yep!  Sure as the Sun will come around again and start out another day.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2014, 01:59:18 PM »

How many of you here have the 3-lp colored vinyl SMiLE?

And did any of you get it from someone here on the board?
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2014, 02:41:08 PM »

Quick question - are there only four unofficial Smile vinyls?  The original boot (Brother Records), the Second Edition (Brother Records), the 3-LP colored edition (Vigotone) and the recent colored single-disc version (Sea Of Tunes)?

After the 2 "Brother Records" LPs (1983 & 1985) but before the 3-LP colored edition (1993 Vigotone) a 2-LP version was released. This 2-LP release (1991) was the 1st appearance on vinyl of the original “I Love to Say Da Da,” “I’m In Great Shape” aka “I Wanna Be Around” aka “The Workshop Song,” and “Barnyard”. This set has blank white labels. Here is the tracklist.

Side 1: Good Vibrations I * Good Vibrations II * Good Vibrations (Work Pieces) * Barnyard * With Me Tonight (early version)

Side 2: Can’t Wait Too Long * Wonderful * Holidays * Vegatables (including Mama Said) * Child is the Father to the Man

Side 3: Heroes and Villains * Do You Like Worms?/Bicycle Rider * Wind Chimes * Cabinessence * Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine * Our Prayer

Side 4: Tones * Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow (Fire) * George Fell Into His French Horn * Surf’s Up * Cool Water * You’re Welcome * Smile Promo Ad

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2014, 03:15:59 PM »

I've got it. Today's the first time I actually opened the overwrap to see it; nice package! 
Don't believe I bought it from anyone here, tho. Bought it on release, but I don't remember from whom: A long time ago....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2014, 03:18:53 PM »

The quest for the SS cardboard cutouts continues..... Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2014, 03:29:50 PM »

The quest for the SS cardboard cutouts continues..... Cool Guy

If only there really could be  cutouts for the other three! 

While we're out searching let's try to find more SS covers with the GV promo sticker !

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2014, 04:03:25 PM »

I got mine under the table from an indiscriminate retailer in New York City back in the 90's. I won't name names but they usually conducted business around Midnight.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2014, 04:37:35 PM »

Why are you so hung up on vinyl? Do you like the large covers? Like I said before, the only reason you would want to go backwards and obtain all the early pieces/variations/revisions of vintage Smile material that was available on vinyl 30+ years ago would be from a collector's standpoint. Are you going to play the records? They're not even 180 gram virgin vinyl! Otherwise, if you're not happy with what's been released and just have to have every fragment and morsel and crumb, either download it in Mp3 320 or FLAC and it will probably be in better quality than the snap crackle pop vinyl versions! All that vinyl stuff was de-clicked and carried over onto CD format and the sound quality was upgraded in most cases. The quality improved over time as closer generations to the masters or better sources were found.

Oooorrrr, find the original silver CD's and at second best CDR's made from those CD's! Good luck on finding the original CD's without expecting to shell out some $.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2014, 04:43:54 PM »

Bought mine from a local record shop in the early to mid nineties with the following proclamation on the front of the clear protective sleeve:

FULL COLOR SMILE POSTER
NEW IMPROVED SOUND QUALITY
3-COLOR VINYL
7 PAGE INSERT

Kerching... Grin

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2014, 04:48:08 PM »

Bought mine from a local record shop in the early to mid nineties with the following proclamation on the front of the clear protective sleeve:

FULL COLOR SMILE POSTER
NEW IMPROVED SOUND QUALITY
3-COLOR VINYL
7 PAGE INSERT

Kerching... Grin

That's exactly how mine appears!

TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2014, 06:43:29 PM »

.......Crap.

Had no idea about the 1991 one.  Oh well.  Just spent a lot of money to get Vigotone and Second Edition, I can't do anymore.  My next purchase when I get money again is more than likely going to be hunting down "The New Album", which I've had zero luck with so far.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2014, 12:28:14 AM »

Got it as well. Bought it at a record fair in the mid 90ies.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2014, 07:32:25 AM »

Mine came from Discogs.  Someone from here pointed me to it - it confusingly was listed as a Brother Records release, rather than Vigotone.  (Fair enough, that's what the labels say.)
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2014, 07:39:59 PM »

Here's a question....

Does anyone else's first edition Brother "Smile" LP sound ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY AWFUL in "Surf's Up"?

Seriously - most of the ending portion (listed separately, and wrongly, as "Child Is Father Of The Man") is a loud burst of static that sounds like a needle scraping across grooves!  Nearly knocked me off my chair! O_O
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2014, 08:09:41 PM »

gee, mine sounds fine( presuming I really have the first edition)

TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2014, 07:52:36 AM »

Well, it seems there were only two - the first one, which just had "Smile" and a mouth at the top; and the second one, which had the added text about "SECOND EDITION" next to the mouth.

On the whole, the record doesn't sound terrible, UNTIL it gets to "Surf's Up" and then it's so screechy and distorted I have to turn it off.  I even looked at the vinyl, it's not worn or anything.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2014, 08:07:32 PM »

I got mine under the table from an indiscriminate retailer in New York City back in the 90's. I won't name names but they usually conducted business around Midnight.

Didn't happen to sell Records, did they, Mikie?  Smiley I guess they were too indiscriminate, because I think they got busted. Internet & mail order now, unless you want to go to the owner's apartment. Used to be a fun store to visit... if they happened to be open when you were there.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:12:07 PM by SonoraDick » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2014, 08:41:48 PM »

They pissed me off in the late 90's, Dick. I ordered a couple of Sea Of Tunes Unsurpassed Masters CD boots from them and they sent me CDR's! The F'ers. I couldn't believe it - I figured a good reputable record store that's playing the "middle man" selling bootlegs would send me the original silver CD's from the manufacturer! What they later told me is that they ran out of originals so they made CDR copies and put their own paper labels on 'em. Then they put them in CD shells with home made printed paper copies of the artwork. I guess they figured I would never notice the difference! Then when I called them on it, they admitted it and said they couldn't get any more originals and I couldn't get my money back! I know a lot of people would be perfectly happy to have CDR copies of the series, or even Mp3 copies, but at the time, these Sea Of Tunes collection had just started to come out, plus my other sources were sending me originals so I wanted them ALL to be originals. I wouldn't be surprised if they got busted because they played this game one too many times with the wrong people and they got pissed off and finked on them. They did have real good Beach Boys and Beatle collectibles at the time, though. But I never did business with them after that experience - I didn't care what goodies they had.

Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2014, 10:30:47 PM »

I remember that store well Mikie!  Smiley
I used to get great stuff from them. Just a quick walk from over Christopher St, and you were in collectors heaven. There was also that other store on 8th named after one of the Beatles albums.  Wink

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2014, 08:47:31 PM »

Okay, I'll admit it - the collecting bug has bitten me.

I kinda do want to get my hands on that 1991 2-LP version now, mainly because I have the rest of them.  So, *cough* you know... :-P
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2014, 09:36:54 PM »

I remember that store well Mikie!  Smiley
I used to get great stuff from them. Just a quick walk from over Christopher St, and you were in collectors heaven. There was also that other store on 8th named after one of the Beatles albums.  Wink

I procured a couple of things (mail order) quite a few years ago from Revolver Records on 8th St. And there was another place in NYC called Bleecker Bob's that I got something from at auction once. Also on 5th - I think in Brooklyn there's a good one - it's where I got my Pet Sounds Sampler disc. There's another one in upper state New York that I got something from but I can't remember the name of it.

TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »

I'm curious.... the liner notes of "Smile Second Edition" promise a "Third Edition" to be released sometime in the late 80's.

I'm assuming this never happened?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx