gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 04:05:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - "Our Speical Love" Out now  (Read 58537 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2014, 06:18:33 PM »

A very classy post.

Cut to five years from now, with Peter at 8,000 posts and engaged in rabid debate over Pet Sounds echo chambers ...

Stranger things have happened.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2014, 08:53:16 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:00:26 PM by zatch » Logged
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 31, 2014, 09:16:03 PM »

Beautiful post, Peter--and a beautiful song. The Sunflower-era Beach Boys would have taken this to more extravagant harmonic heights, but I don't know if they could have written it with the aching melancholy and self-resignation that makes it so poignant. Clearly "Summer's Gone" will not be the last high point for Brian Wilson. Congratulations and thanks for being part of that ongoing legacy!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 01, 2014, 03:04:00 AM »

Lovely post indeed. Smiley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2014, 04:36:17 AM »

Looks like Peter is a member here now. If it's really him.

Hey guys, Yes really dorky a cappella singing me.   I really appreciate the honest critiques.   It's so refreshing to get honest feedback from verteran music listeners.  I always do my absolute best to make my music be something that all demographics will enjoy, and I will strive to better my craft so that it can be appreciated by all ages.  Truly appreciate it no matter what. 

I decided to sign up to just let you know what Brian has meant to my family and myself.   I grew up in a house where music was constantly playing, and if it wasn't jazz or classical music, it was always Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys.   I look up to him more than anyone else, and he's one of the reasons not only myself, but members of my team got into music.  I hold him in the utmost respect and esteem.   I couldn't honestly say enough amazing things about him.   The Beach Boys were my father's favorite groups, and he recently passed from brain cancer two years ago, and I hope more than anything that he knows somehow, that I was able to work with Brian.  I know from my own experience, that no one is ever good enough to collaborate and work with him, but I just wanted you to know where my heart was and all the effort I tried to put forth into this song with him. 

Everything you hear on the track was created by just the human voice and mouth, and I think no matter what it's something awfully special (no pun intended)

I'm a new father myself and I'm already playing my favorite Brian tunes for him and will pass along the love and respect for him and what he has been able to bring to the world.   

With all that being said you can stream the song here for free from Spotify, http://open.spotify.com/track/63C74sXSFFjmX64ZgD75X8 - And just know being able to work with him was a dream come true to me!

best to you all,

Peter
Welcome to the board, Mr. Hollens - and many thanks for this lovely 1st post & insight!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 01, 2014, 01:52:30 PM »

I'm enjoying the song.

Very cool in principle that the whole thing was done with just the human voice, although I often find the drum and bass parts a little clinical sounding on these types of recordings.

The overall intricacies of the vocal parts are just outta site though and I think perhaps this is something folk may take for granted when Brian Wilson is involved as we've come so accustomed to it.

Some really pretty things happening melodically as well.

Would love to read more about the track from Peter!

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2014, 12:38:50 PM »

Cheers to you, Peter. It's a great track that many fans would have sold their soul to collaborate on. Best of luck with your album.
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 02, 2014, 03:05:52 PM »

I've developed a love for this song. Maybe it's just that new appeal, but I've listened to it 4-5 times a day so far.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 02, 2014, 04:27:52 PM »

Cheers to you, Peter. It's a great track that many fans would have sold their soul to collaborate on. Best of luck with your album.

Can confirm. Did sell soul. Didn't get collab. Cried.

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 02, 2014, 06:01:12 PM »

thanx Pete, nice song  Smokin

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 02, 2014, 06:11:07 PM »

Admirable try, Pete. It's very uplifting to hear a new BDW song that is well-composed and recalls most of what he learned about vocal harmony from the Four Freshmen. I can tell there is a real song here. It's a piece that's actually interesting, and at its best, almost reminds me of 'Black Widow' and similar songs from that crop.

Just gave it a listen. I think auto tune is helping Brian on this track more than hurting.  I love it!
I guess we have to get used to this hyper-processed Brian sound.
I've come to accept robo Brian and am now at peace.
The robot is in full force but I love it.
This is what's depressing. You guys can like it, sure, nothing wrong with that, but whoever it is that's keeping the autotune on is going to feel validated if they ever happen to read these posts. And that's not fair for anybody who wants to hear Brian Wilson's voice not being decimated by absurdly poor engineering.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2014, 07:41:44 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:00:18 PM by zatch » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2014, 07:20:21 PM »

HOW DARE HE OBORT MY SPEICAL LOVE
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 07:26:38 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2014, 07:24:29 PM »

Edit: This post was edited.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2014, 07:37:19 PM »

Edit: This post was edited.

Was that you or the robot you, Runners?  3D
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 05, 2014, 07:38:29 AM »

I finally listened to the track in youtube.

The intro and harmonies are beautiful. The actual tune is forgettable and banal.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: November 05, 2014, 12:19:34 PM »

This is nice, if a little 'Jeffy'.

I do wonder that if there was no Brian involvement if this is the sort of ting I would be listening to, - probably not. Impressive that instruments and percussion are all generated vocally.

Beautifully arranged harmonies, if a little Jeffy...

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 05, 2014, 12:23:06 PM »

I do wonder that if there was no Brian involvement if this is the sort of ting I would be listening to, - probably not. Impressive that instruments and percussion are all generated vocally.

i think it's Matt on the high notes, not Jeff
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: November 05, 2014, 01:10:46 PM »

i think it's Matt on the high notes, not Jeff

Really? That's interesting. It has a distinct Fosketian sound to me, but I don't know Matt's voice so maybe you're right. 

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 05, 2014, 01:43:22 PM »

I do wonder that if there was no Brian involvement if this is the sort of ting I would be listening to, - probably not.

Well, given that BW wrote the tune, there wouldn't be a song if there wasn't Brian involvement.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 05, 2014, 04:26:34 PM »

I've developed a love for this song. Maybe it's just that new appeal, but I've listened to it 4-5 times a day so far.

Same.

I really love it, can't get the song out of my head.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: November 05, 2014, 11:40:22 PM »

I do wonder that if there was no Brian involvement if this is the sort of ting I would be listening to, - probably not.

Well, given that BW wrote the tune, there wouldn't be a song if there wasn't Brian involvement.

That is an excellent and perfectly logical point of course, and one that I'd overlooked. Maybe I meant that it doesn't sound like Brian Wilson song, but then nothing really does any more.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 06, 2014, 01:10:38 PM »

Just received the CD and skipped straight to the Bw track. Very good, liking it straight away. Lots of TWGMTR vibe there, unsurprisingly, and as many others have stated primarily Spring Vacation on a couple of moments. But I also hear surprisingly, a little of Everyone's In Love With You and, very notably, the opening bar is Forever-laden backing vocals. Ever the recycler!

But this is great stuff. Son of the TWGMTR album.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 09:41:53 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 06, 2014, 08:33:48 PM »

This commentary worries me.    Haven't heard the song yet.    the description sounds like hip hop rap music.  didn't Brian once refer to this genre as crap music?    sure hope BWs new album is BW music and not that sort of product.    Afraid it might make GIOMH sound like Pet Sounds.  There is an ocean of rap out there for those who want it.  Go swim in it.  It ain't  Beach Boys music, Fat Boys not withstanding.  Taking an alka seltzer and going to bed.   Bring on Lawrence Welk.  Two step side step.   RIP MW!!!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #199 on: November 06, 2014, 08:45:26 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:00:06 PM by zatch » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx