gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:15:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - "Our Speical Love" Out now  (Read 58353 times)
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 29, 2014, 08:51:19 PM »

Ron and Frank Ocean are interesting topics indeed. Regarding the song in question, I guess we have to get used to this hyper-processed Brian sound. That the vocal conveys sweetness and feeling notwithstanding the layers of effects is a merit of the singer. I like the song. It's not Brian-by-the-numbers as a poster said before, but a fresh-sounding recording that still nods at the classic Beach Boys harmonies, good melody, hooks... A couple observations: the pre-chorus sounds indentical to Spring Vacation (not that there's anything wrong with it), the sections during which Holland sings prominently sound pretty generic in every way, compared to the rest of the song; there's a boy-group quality to some of it that stylistically owes nothing to any previous BW product and -again- sounds like generic patchwork. And not BW stock patchwork (a Shortenin' Bread riff or a "rockin' and rollin'" vocal for instance) but something from a different hand and sensibility. Now, if the alternative is the Pet Sounds production cliches of recent albums (clip-clops, sleighbells, etc.), I'd rather have this for a change.

There's definately something to be said for that... I'm a bit bored with the clip clops as well, so it's good to see something different. 

Apparently Frank's original verse was a rap about homosexual sex on the beach so I don't think it would have fit well on the song anyways. 

Are you trying to be funny? I....I really have no fucking clue what this is about?

Ron thought that Frank Ocean was a "stereotypical" rapper because he didn't understand his lyrics, so now Ron's making jokes about Ocean's sexuality + the lyrics he didn't understand.

The lyrics in question are "f*** me good, f*** me long, f*** me numb".  That I didn't understand he was talking about a guy fucking him I don't think is really germane to the conversation, my point REMAINS that the guy isn't really a fit for a Brian Wilson song. 

I said he's pretty stereotypical.  Apparently he's not, because when he raps about sex in a vulgar way, it's interesting and new because it's homosexual sex he's rapping about.

Idiocy. 

Still not understanding his lyrics.

It's not about being gay. It's a comment on how emotionally numb the rap culture has become.

He's on your side.

Idiot.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2014, 09:02:23 PM »

Agreed^. The name calling needs to stop, but I agree. Not warning you since you were baited, but this stops now.

And Ron, make sure you know what you're talking about before you refer to someone else's views as 'idiocy'.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 29, 2014, 09:15:25 PM »

The lyrics in question are "f*** me good, f*** me long, f*** me numb".  That I didn't understand he was talking about a guy fucking him I don't think is really germane to the conversation,

No, the fact that it's a guy rather than a girl is what's not germane to the conversation.  If that's your issue, then that's only reinforcing other peoples' point.

What other people corrected you on was that these lyrics were not about the sort of gangsta celebration you were painting them as, and that the key word in the bit you're quoting is the punchline:  "numb".

Regards,
Jon Blum

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 29, 2014, 09:56:24 PM »

Cutting this from NPP was a good call.

Have you seen a NPP tracklist?

If not, I'm not sure why folks would assume this was an outtake. As stated a few pages back, songs can appear on more than one album.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2014, 03:07:53 AM »

Listen to Frank Ocean's song Swim Good from 2011. Anyone with an open ear for contemporary rap and a fondness for personal/melancholy lyrics should be able to find something worthwhile in that song. In terms of overall sentiment I don't think it's too far away from stuff like 'Til I Die.
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2014, 03:34:22 AM »

Ron and Frank Ocean are interesting topics indeed. Regarding the song in question, I guess we have to get used to this hyper-processed Brian sound. That the vocal conveys sweetness and feeling notwithstanding the layers of effects is a merit of the singer. I like the song. It's not Brian-by-the-numbers as a poster said before, but a fresh-sounding recording that still nods at the classic Beach Boys harmonies, good melody, hooks... A couple observations: the pre-chorus sounds indentical to Spring Vacation (not that there's anything wrong with it), the sections during which Holland sings prominently sound pretty generic in every way, compared to the rest of the song; there's a boy-group quality to some of it that stylistically owes nothing to any previous BW product and -again- sounds like generic patchwork. And not BW stock patchwork (a Shortenin' Bread riff or a "rockin' and rollin'" vocal for instance) but something from a different hand and sensibility. Now, if the alternative is the Pet Sounds production cliches of recent albums (clip-clops, sleighbells, etc.), I'd rather have this for a change.

There's definately something to be said for that... I'm a bit bored with the clip clops as well, so it's good to see something different.  

Apparently Frank's original verse was a rap about homosexual sex on the beach so I don't think it would have fit well on the song anyways.  

Are you trying to be funny? I....I really have no fucking clue what this is about?

Ron thought that Frank Ocean was a "stereotypical" rapper because he didn't understand his lyrics, so now Ron's making jokes about Ocean's sexuality + the lyrics he didn't understand.

The lyrics in question are "f*** me good, f*** me long, f*** me numb".  That I didn't understand he was talking about a guy fucking him I don't think is really germane to the conversation, my point REMAINS that the guy isn't really a fit for a Brian Wilson song.  

I said he's pretty stereotypical.  Apparently he's not, because when he raps about sex in a vulgar way, it's interesting and new because it's homosexual sex he's rapping about.

Idiocy.  

Ron please listen to the song I linked which was the reason why I mentioned his sexuality. The song is called Thinkin About You and is a beautiful love song completely opposite to the picture you unfairly painted of him as being an aggressive, 40 drinking sort only capable of simplistic, nasty vulgarity. His being openly gay IS actually interesting and new because both R&B and Rap (particularly Rap) have had a long issue with homophobia. To be out and embraced by the genre and culture is a step forward artistically for differing views and precisely opposite to the image you have of the form as lacking in sophistication and unsuited to some love song BW wrote.

Novacane specifically references sleeping with women so if one was wishing to apply a biographical view they could say quite rightly that such behaviour for a gay man is just one more artificial, emotionally disconnected thing he has been positioned into doing by a culture that can't tolerate the full complexity of his humanity. There has been a conversation happening within Hip Hop for a fair time about how the most commercially successful kind of Rap is that which coincides precisely with the view of black people as ignorant, violent and lacking basically any identifiable humanity. The Rap that is most ignorant has tended to be the Rap that is easiest to sell. Novacane is in (perhaps just a small) part the view from the inside of that problem. Talented people are profiting from the stereotype but to truly be a part of it they have to disconnect all of the human things that don't tally with that view. It is vulgar because it speaks of and to a vulgar reality. It is also a personal story and expression of how isolated and terrifying it is to be inside of that life.

I wasn't saying you missed the point because you didn't know he was gay. I was saying you missed the point because you failed to understand the bare minimum of the context or meaning to the lyrics you posted. Novacane is also not a rap song, clearly. If your problem is simply that he said some naughty words then I definitely can't help you, as much great art that examines sexuality, love and despair are already removed from your experience for being inappropriate. I can show you a dozen great Rap songs (actual Rap songs not R&B like Novacane) by various people that suggest the genre is perfectly suited to be on a pop love song. I can further present material by Frank Ocean that is lyrically, thematically and emotionally complex. If you want to see why your stereotypes are all askew cool, but you will have to discard your bias which is disallowing you from seeing the evidence to the contrary.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 03:36:00 AM by MugginsXO » Logged

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2014, 09:35:28 AM »

I need to hear. Please direct me.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2014, 11:24:43 AM »

let's go back to your childhood

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »

Back to the song "Our Special Love," I am surprised that there isn't anything posted on Brian's twitter account about it.  He had it for the "Falling Apart" song.  I would have thought that a song he actually wrote would be mentioned.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2014, 06:29:34 PM »

Makes me think they don't really want to be associated with this version and another version may be on the NPP album.

Sounds crazy, yes, but it's about as crazy as not promoting a song you wrote in any way.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #160 on: October 30, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:00:30 PM by zatch » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: October 30, 2014, 11:04:42 PM »

(hides everything under the bed)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 30, 2014, 11:30:23 PM »

Looks like Peter is a member here now. If it's really him.

How long do you reckon that'll last?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 31, 2014, 11:02:04 AM »

Wonder what compelled this so called "petet hollens" to join the board...

All the flattering praise I assume  Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2014, 11:45:12 AM »

He's the real deal...email matches his official one, and he's active on Twitter.

Welcome to the board, Peter!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 31, 2014, 11:57:57 AM »

Very cool. Maybe he'll tell us what it was like working with brian.

peterhollens
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 31, 2014, 01:47:42 PM »

Hey guys, Yes really dorky a cappella singing me.   I really appreciate the honest critiques.   It's so refreshing to get honest feedback from verteran music listeners.  I always do my absolute best to make my music be something that all demographics will enjoy, and I will strive to better my craft so that it can be appreciated by all ages.  Truly appreciate it no matter what. 

I decided to sign up to just let you know what Brian has meant to my family and myself.   I grew up in a house where music was constantly playing, and if it wasn't jazz or classical music, it was always Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys.   I look up to him more than anyone else, and he's one of the reasons not only myself, but members of my team got into music.  I hold him in the utmost respect and esteem.   I couldn't honestly say enough amazing things about him.   The Beach Boys were my father's favorite groups, and he recently passed from brain cancer two years ago, and I hope more than anything that he knows somehow, that I was able to work with Brian.  I know from my own experience, that no one is ever good enough to collaborate and work with him, but I just wanted you to know where my heart was and all the effort I tried to put forth into this song with him. 

Everything you hear on the track was created by just the human voice and mouth, and I think no matter what it's something awfully special (no pun intended)

I'm a new father myself and I'm already playing my favorite Brian tunes for him and will pass along the love and respect for him and what he has been able to bring to the world.   

With all that being said you can stream the song here for free from Spotify, http://open.spotify.com/track/63C74sXSFFjmX64ZgD75X8 - And just know being able to work with him was a dream come true to me!

best to you all,

Peter
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: October 31, 2014, 01:52:55 PM »

Thanks for the background, it must have been a ridiculous treat for you! Did you work on any others tracks with him, and what was the recording process like with that collaboration?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:53:55 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 31, 2014, 01:53:53 PM »

Thanks for joining and commenting, Peter. And congratulations on making vocal pop music with the master.

I think I speak for everyone (though that's a risky statement) when I say any anecdote about the history, process etc of writing, arranging, recording and producing the track--or heck, what you got for lunches!--would be welcomed (with ravenous appetites)..

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 31, 2014, 01:57:05 PM »

Thanks, Peter! And congratulations on becoming a new dad  Smiley

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 31, 2014, 02:02:22 PM »

Cheers for taking the time to share that, Peter, and...

Any anecdote about the history, process etc of writing, arranging, recording and producing the track--or heck, what you got for lunches!--would be welcomed.
... ditto that.  Wink

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: October 31, 2014, 03:22:53 PM »

Hey guys, Yes really dorky a cappella singing me.   I really appreciate the honest critiques.   It's so refreshing to get honest feedback from verteran music listeners.  I always do my absolute best to make my music be something that all demographics will enjoy, and I will strive to better my craft so that it can be appreciated by all ages.  Truly appreciate it no matter what. 

I decided to sign up to just let you know what Brian has meant to my family and myself.   I grew up in a house where music was constantly playing, and if it wasn't jazz or classical music, it was always Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys.   I look up to him more than anyone else, and he's one of the reasons not only myself, but members of my team got into music.  I hold him in the utmost respect and esteem.   I couldn't honestly say enough amazing things about him.   The Beach Boys were my father's favorite groups, and he recently passed from brain cancer two years ago, and I hope more than anything that he knows somehow, that I was able to work with Brian.  I know from my own experience, that no one is ever good enough to collaborate and work with him, but I just wanted you to know where my heart was and all the effort I tried to put forth into this song with him. 

Everything you hear on the track was created by just the human voice and mouth, and I think no matter what it's something awfully special (no pun intended)

I'm a new father myself and I'm already playing my favorite Brian tunes for him and will pass along the love and respect for him and what he has been able to bring to the world.   

With all that being said you can stream the song here for free from Spotify, http://open.spotify.com/track/63C74sXSFFjmX64ZgD75X8 - And just know being able to work with him was a dream come true to me!

best to you all,

Peter

Welcome to the board, Peter!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 31, 2014, 03:52:40 PM »

Welcome to the bear pit Peter and kudos for dipping your toes in the water. I haven't heard he track yet - holding back for the arrival of the CD expected any day … I hope enough folk but it to keep you in Rolls Royces for there's of your days.

Ditto the anecdote appeal… did you get to share studio space with the deity himself or was it all done via file transfers?

Whatever, many congrats … looking forward to listening!

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 31, 2014, 05:48:32 PM »

best to you all,

Peter

Great post, Peter.

I can't imagine, as a fan how special it was to record with Brian.

The song is incredible, you did a magnificent job on the track. I've listened to the rest of the record and it's great, congratulations.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post on here.

Nicko1234
« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2014, 06:11:37 PM »

best to you all,

Peter

A very classy post.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx