gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:52:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - "Our Speical Love" Out now  (Read 58352 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2014, 07:30:25 PM »

Lovely tune. Brian sounds quite nice. I'm assuming there's some Matt Jardine in there. I'm not going to deal with the "A" word because it becomes a red herring in these discussions. The song is good or bad, and this one sounds good to me. A little out of context without an album around it, though.

Also -- you will notice this is not a remake of "Summer Means New Love," as suggested somewhere earlier on this board.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2014, 07:35:48 PM »

Also -- you will notice this is not a remake of "Summer Means New Love," as suggested somewhere earlier on this board.

That's what I thought, and glad to know it's not.
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2014, 07:42:15 PM »

Genuinely, non cynically, unironically loving this.

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2014, 08:11:52 PM »

I'm pretty excited to be able to hear this song sometime in the near future.  Grin

Does it have the "Wild Honey/Carl & The Passions" vibe our mullet man Joe Thomas had mentioned a while back?

No mas, por favor.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2014, 08:27:47 PM »

Shocked! This is wall of holy-shite-Brian-Wilson-is-Back harmonies...I know, some you think that Mike Luhv's 'Still Surfin' from SiP is the hard-on of all heavenly surf music, but DAMN did Brian hit one out of the park with this.

Whether it'll be on NPP or not, it proves that Brian is working his ass off on everything he's been involved with lately.

rab2591 hopes that, even with the unfortunate absence of Mike 'Maharishi Guru Extraordinaire' Love and Bruce Johnston, people will still see the existential beauty in No Pier Pressure......who am I kidding, #SiPforlifebitches.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 08:33:11 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2014, 08:32:36 PM »

Well said , rab

This is a great Brian song that deserves a few listens to really appreciate it.

You can tell he worked hard on it

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2014, 09:00:02 PM »

Since we're all in the Peter Hollens fan club now, check out this video he did of "Fields of Gold". 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=615q8Xldr14

Seems like a very gentle soul to me.  He and Brian probably hit it off pretty good. 
zachrwolfe
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2014, 09:22:03 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:00:46 PM by zatch » Logged
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2014, 09:45:32 PM »

It's a solid track, but I really don't like the production, which (as many have already pointed out) is way too clean for my personal taste.

Still, Brian sounds great and the harmonies are really nice and soothing.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2014, 11:51:13 PM »

It's OK but really not my style of music overall. The whole thing sounds a bit forced and slick and I agree about it sounding a bit like a 90s boyband production.

Anyway, I'm sure it's very fine for what it is, just not something I'll find myself coming back to very often.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2014, 02:23:55 AM »

After some repeated listens, I've decided the song has way too much Peter Hollens, and not enough Brian Wilson. Understandable since it's on a Peter Hollens album, but still. Not something I'll listen to much after the novelty of it being a new Brian Wilson song wears off, and I can almost guarantee it'll be the same for the rest of the people currently praising it.

There are parts that really sound like Carl, Mike & Bruce should be singing, and that bums me out a bit.

Brian's vocals are way over-processed, and that's cool, I guess, he sings the hell out of it and sounds good, but is the Brian Wilson who was such a perfectionist in the studio 50 years ago satisfied with the almost robotic sounding vocals on these last couple albums? Why's this song and That's Why God Made The Radio have to sound so fake (for lack of a better adjective) when the Gershwin and Disney albums sounded so much more organic?

But still, if this song is any indication, No Pier Pressure is gonna be FUCKIN' EPIC for us BW fans.

One final thought: why's the album cover gotta suck so bad?

No mas, por favor.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2014, 02:29:22 AM »

The Disney album, especially Can You Feel the Love Tonight, sounded more processed

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2014, 02:31:03 AM »

Since we're all in the Peter Hollens fan club now, check out this video he did of "Fields of Gold". 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=615q8Xldr14

Seems like a very gentle soul to me.  He and Brian probably hit it off pretty good. 
I liked his recordings of the various LotR/Hobbit film songs as well.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2014, 05:58:43 AM »

Do you think they ever met? I wonder.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2014, 06:21:11 AM »

Do you think they ever met? I wonder.

Give me an ungentle soul with some personality. 

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2014, 06:49:00 AM »

Boy, I wish I could listen to this track. Sounds interesting.

EDIT: Well, I can now listen to it as soon as my boss goes home for the day! I luv this board.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:02:33 AM by MarcellaHasDirtyFeet » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2014, 06:57:28 AM »

You know, I have to say that even though I'm not a huge fan of the backing track for "Our Special Love" I gotta say that I'm kinda glad it's not the "Brian by numbers" sound that it seemed his band had been using in the studio from GIOMH through ITKOD. I feel like even as good as TLOS or BWRG were, they seemed like pastiche. Whereas even though TWGMTR may have seem overproduced, I think it IS probably truer to Brian's taste these days then that other stuff. So I am interested to see how NPP sounds. I suspect it will very likely sound much more organic than "Our Special Love", which truly does have a '90s r&b feel.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2014, 07:28:15 AM »

Anyone else hear Al in the "dit dit"'s in the bridge?

Given the 90's R&B feel, is it safe to say this is a revamped Imagination outtake?
Nicko1234
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2014, 07:42:31 AM »

I actually wish that this were more similar to the Imagination album in terms of the vocals.

Brian isn`t audible enough in the harmonies on the new song for my tastes and his lead vocals don`t sound natural enough. I think the songwriting sounds promising for the new album though...
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2014, 08:21:55 AM »

Great harmonies and a solid song, but this autotune is ridiculous. Maybe when obvious autotune was at its peak like 5 years ago, you could kinda accept it.  But Brian sounds like a computer. HE SOUNDS LIKE STEPHEN HAWKING WHEN SAYS "OUR SPECIAL LOVE CAN BE FOUND ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD", AND YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE! Please, tell them to turn this autotune crap off before they send the new album to the presses. It doesn't improve the performance.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:23:17 AM by Mr. Cohen » Logged
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2014, 08:29:00 AM »

Autotuner is still a prominent stylistic element on many new and credible songs/albums. Not that this was the thinking here, but it's hardly out of fashion or outdated.

Can some kind person in the know or in a position to find out, what was the reason behind Frank Ocean being removed from the song? Was it related to the reaction to the idea of his being on a song, or creative friction in the studio?

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2014, 08:56:10 AM »

Yes, the Stephen Hawking effect is huge on the radio. Sure, people use it and will continue to do so, but not to sound like Siri.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »

Listened to it a few more times - I'm really liking the vocal blend in the beginning of the song, probably the best mix of a cappella harmonies from any of Brian's solo songs.

I could see the first 52 seconds of this song being a great little interlude piece placed before any 'Life Suite' section songs (if there will be songs of that nature on this album)....Not at all that I dislike the rest of the song, just an idea.

I'm glad to see Brian branching out with different styles (the 10 second Zooey song clip, this R&B style), really makes me anxious for some samples to be put up on iTunes already!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CJS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2014, 09:03:55 AM »

[/quote]

To my ears the beginning harmony section is the same melody as "Summer Means New Love"
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2014, 09:17:35 AM »

Ray wrote this a while back, somewhat of a description of Summer Means New Love:

the remake of "Summer Means New Love' is one of my favorites; I always loved the melody of that track;  Brian decided he wanted to sing it so now its a vocal piece , with lead by Brian , and Brian and Al in the chorus; I had read somewhere on the board that this sounded like it could be a "vapid remake " or some such description.....wrong. There is a track that would fit right in with the three part suite that ends TWGMTR, but is definitely not part of it....

To me, our Special Love doesn't sound like a 'Life Suite'-esque song at all. So I highly doubt this song is the remake.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx