gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:58:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - "Our Speical Love" Out now  (Read 58373 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2014, 11:08:46 PM »

Dunno anything about "less threatening than Ocean" or "give me ungentle soul with some personality", but I liked it from the start onwards. I never care about the autotune in any song as long as it's good for me. I won't say that it blew me away, but it's not disposable, either. I was glad to hear the stack of Brian harmonies & Peter has a very nice voice. Their duo sounds kinda like a 50/50 collab, which says much. Wonder will this song end up on Brian's album.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Nicko1234
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2014, 01:10:34 AM »

Dunno anything about "less threatening than Ocean" or "give me ungentle soul with some personality", but I liked it from the start onwards. I never care about the autotune in any song as long as it's good for me. I won't say that it blew me away, but it's not disposable, either. I was glad to hear the stack of Brian harmonies & Peter has a very nice voice. Their duo sounds kinda like a 50/50 collab, which says much. Wonder will this song end up on Brian's album.

Are they a stack of Brian harmonies?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2014, 01:18:29 AM »

Brian and Peter both, although Brian is a bit buried too much IMHO. But, if you listen on good quality headphones, he's all over the place.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 29, 2014, 01:31:57 AM »

HELLO EVERYBODY I'M PETER HOW ARE YOU TODAY.

No mas, por favor.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2014, 01:34:49 AM »

I can't imagine sorting through a bunch of pics, landing on that one, and going: "That's it! That's the one. PRINT IT."
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2014, 08:09:05 AM »

My thoughts now after listening to this song over a few days:

• I really like the intro-- both Brian's lead and the vocal stack.
  • I find myself listening intently to that intro, but hitting skip once the Hollens/BoyzIIMen section starts.
  • The intro/outtro and the main BoyzIIMen section are like two totally different songs
  • The BoyzIIMen section reminds me of Chicago's attempts at the R&B sound, and oddly that's the only aspect of it that makes this part palatable for me
  • The vocal percussion sounds real enough that my brain interprets it as really lo-fi, tinny actual percussion

I think I'd like to take the Brian/harmony intro, chop the rest of the song off, and use the intro as a Think About the Days type lead-in to another BB or BW song.  Can't figure out what that song would be, though.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2014, 10:24:54 AM »

Don't let it offend you, just consider the source.  If ignorance is bliss, he's pretty damn happy.

Oh I'm not going to be offended regardless. It's a message board. But as for the source, I like Ron. He's contributed great stuff in the general music forum. Just curious if that was one-way admiration, I guess.

Anyway, blah blah off topic, so to get back on: I've listened to the new tune a lot. I think it's a lot more Hollens in performance and production, and maybe arrangement. (I'm sticking to my baseless guess--so another prepology!--that Hollens just remixed and supplemented whatever BW had/sent him.) But it's pleasant and has nice harmonies, especially from a guy who seems like a church youth group leader.

I was played this track when I was in LA  last month; produced by Brian
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2014, 10:43:10 AM »

Don't let it offend you, just consider the source.  If ignorance is bliss, he's pretty damn happy.

Oh I'm not going to be offended regardless. It's a message board. But as for the source, I like Ron. He's contributed great stuff in the general music forum. Just curious if that was one-way admiration, I guess.

Anyway, blah blah off topic, so to get back on: I've listened to the new tune a lot. I think it's a lot more Hollens in performance and production, and maybe arrangement. (I'm sticking to my baseless guess--so another prepology!--that Hollens just remixed and supplemented whatever BW had/sent him.) But it's pleasant and has nice harmonies, especially from a guy who seems like a church youth group leader.

Well there you go, that refutes my aptly named baseless speculation. Thanks for that information. And I find it surprising (in a good way), just because as a few others have noted as well, it lacks some obvious brianisms, which I think hints at real excitement and engagement. Regardless of my lukewarm feelings about this one--enjoy it like candy--I think it bodes well for whatever he's been doing the past year or two.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 29, 2014, 11:03:25 AM »

I really enjoyed this one and the fact that Brian produced it makes me think that he truly has put a lot into the new songs on the new upcoming album.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2014, 11:20:19 AM »

Well there you go, that refutes my aptly named baseless speculation. Thanks for that information. And I find it surprising (in a good way), just because as a few others have noted as well, it lacks some obvious brianisms, which I think hints at real excitement and engagement. Regardless of my lukewarm feelings about this one--enjoy it like candy--I think it bodes well for whatever he's been doing the past year or two.

I have to admit I was surprised when I first heard it ; especially as I didnt realize the whole damn thing was acapella;  there are some Brianisms in this track , just not obvious .  I like it.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 29, 2014, 11:23:34 AM »

the song is available on Rhapsody music--hearing it for the first time now. I wish it were the BB in toto, but it's a nice Brian vocal and a sweet song. The professor kinda loves it.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2014, 11:45:46 AM »

Ray, do you know if Al is in those harmony stacks anywhere?
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 29, 2014, 11:55:29 AM »

Ray, do you know if Al is in those harmony stacks anywhere?

I don't know ; I didnt ask.  He could be , especially on the intro/outro ; there are so many parts and layers, but I honestly don't know on this one...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2014, 12:39:36 PM »

It's a deceptively simple track. Lots going on, and some lovely phrasing from Brian. I do find myself wishing that there was a version with a BW-produced instrumental track and all lead vocals (with slightly less processing). But overall, it bodes incredibly well for "No Pier Pressure." Bring it on.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2014, 02:47:24 PM »

i like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EMqY_-DfLk  Cheesy
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2014, 03:00:12 PM »

I like Brian's opening bit, but after that I find it unlistenable.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2014, 05:15:49 PM »

I still can't get enough of this track.  Sure, parts are way too much 90s R&B/Boy Band/N*Sync/Boyz II Men/All 4 One sounding but damn if I don't love it regardless.  And it is simply astonishing that it is all a capella.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2014, 05:22:19 PM »

Boy II Men were tops.

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 29, 2014, 06:22:22 PM »

Boy II Men were tops.

I agree.  This is semi-off topic but ages ago I can across an interview that, I believe, was on the old Pet Sounds site.  Al was being interviewed and asked what contemporary groups, or contemporary harmonies, they liked and he name-checked Boyz II Men.  I believe the interview was from '97, anyone remember it?  Would love to read it again!
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2014, 06:51:18 PM »

1st part was very minor BW, but even minor Brian is pretty good. The rest I found to be ghastly -- 90's boy band stuff is not to my taste. Cutting this from NPP was a good call.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 29, 2014, 08:06:46 PM »

Ron and Frank Ocean are interesting topics indeed. Regarding the song in question, I guess we have to get used to this hyper-processed Brian sound. That the vocal conveys sweetness and feeling notwithstanding the layers of effects is a merit of the singer. I like the song. It's not Brian-by-the-numbers as a poster said before, but a fresh-sounding recording that still nods at the classic Beach Boys harmonies, good melody, hooks... A couple observations: the pre-chorus sounds indentical to Spring Vacation (not that there's anything wrong with it), the sections during which Holland sings prominently sound pretty generic in every way, compared to the rest of the song; there's a boy-group quality to some of it that stylistically owes nothing to any previous BW product and -again- sounds like generic patchwork. And not BW stock patchwork (a Shortenin' Bread riff or a "rockin' and rollin'" vocal for instance) but something from a different hand and sensibility. Now, if the alternative is the Pet Sounds production cliches of recent albums (clip-clops, sleighbells, etc.), I'd rather have this for a change.

There's definately something to be said for that... I'm a bit bored with the clip clops as well, so it's good to see something different. 

Apparently Frank's original verse was a rap about homosexual sex on the beach so I don't think it would have fit well on the song anyways. 

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 29, 2014, 08:21:12 PM »

Ron and Frank Ocean are interesting topics indeed. Regarding the song in question, I guess we have to get used to this hyper-processed Brian sound. That the vocal conveys sweetness and feeling notwithstanding the layers of effects is a merit of the singer. I like the song. It's not Brian-by-the-numbers as a poster said before, but a fresh-sounding recording that still nods at the classic Beach Boys harmonies, good melody, hooks... A couple observations: the pre-chorus sounds indentical to Spring Vacation (not that there's anything wrong with it), the sections during which Holland sings prominently sound pretty generic in every way, compared to the rest of the song; there's a boy-group quality to some of it that stylistically owes nothing to any previous BW product and -again- sounds like generic patchwork. And not BW stock patchwork (a Shortenin' Bread riff or a "rockin' and rollin'" vocal for instance) but something from a different hand and sensibility. Now, if the alternative is the Pet Sounds production cliches of recent albums (clip-clops, sleighbells, etc.), I'd rather have this for a change.

There's definately something to be said for that... I'm a bit bored with the clip clops as well, so it's good to see something different. 

Apparently Frank's original verse was a rap about homosexual sex on the beach so I don't think it would have fit well on the song anyways. 

Are you trying to be funny? I....I really have no fucking clue what this is about?
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 29, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »

Are you trying to be funny? I....I really have no fucking clue what this is about?

Ron thought that Frank Ocean was a "stereotypical" rapper because he didn't understand his lyrics, so now Ron's making jokes about Ocean's sexuality + the lyrics he didn't understand.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2014, 08:43:16 PM »

Go back a page or so and you'll find that if I criticize Frank's skills as a rapper, I get lectured about how he's gay and the rap is about gay sex so it's fine.  

My point remains: the guy, rapping, isn't right for a Brian Wilson song.  It's just not a fit.  If he would have sang, it would have been a fit, but he rapped, so Brian didn't release the song.  Brian hates rap.  He's said this.  
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2014, 08:46:03 PM »

Ron thought that Frank Ocean was a "stereotypical" rapper because he didn't understand his lyrics, so now Ron's making jokes about Ocean's sexuality + the lyrics he didn't understand.

The lyrics in question are "f*** me good, f*** me long, f*** me numb".  That I didn't understand he was talking about a guy fucking him I don't think is really germane to the conversation, my point REMAINS that the guy isn't really a fit for a Brian Wilson song. 

I said he's pretty stereotypical.  Apparently he's not, because when he raps about sex in a vulgar way, it's interesting and new because it's homosexual sex he's rapping about.

Idiocy. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx