gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:45:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer in Paradise re-recorded UK versions vs. US versions  (Read 4432 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2014, 02:10:16 PM »

What’s everybody’s consensus of the re-recorded SIP tracks for the UK CD, vs the originally-released SIP US CD tracks?

I’ve only ever owned the originally-issued version of the album (and I find about roughly half of it ok/pretty decent, and the rest super bad). I’ve only ever heard the remixed UK versions that are on Youtube (which aren’t all of them).

In my opinion, they improved some songs, and totally messed up other ones. Who’s idea was it to re-record the songs anyway? Was this something the band ever publicized and went out of their way to mention?

- “Strange Things Happen” (regardless of version, definitely the best or second best song on the album; shortening this for the UK was a GOOD thing that improved the song, it sounded rambling and unfinished towards the end on the US version).

- “Island Fever” (one of the better songs on the US version, but I think the UK version is seriously bad. I think every change they made was super lame and hurt the song).

- "Under the Boardwalk" (I have never heard the remix, but the US version sucks pretty damn hard. Is the remix any better?).

- “Summer in Paradise” (not a huge fan of the song in either version, but I don’t hate it either. I probably would call this a wash in terms of which one is better). Adding McGuinn was certainly gimmicky, but being a huge Byrds fan, I can live with it.

- "Forever" (I have never heard the remixes, apparently there are two, one from the UK version and one from a promo CD version… I can kinda sorta dig the US version as a guilty pleasure).

- "Remember (Walking in the Sand)" - has anyone heard this unreleased remix? Good/bad?  I also think the US version sucks pretty damn hard.

Opinions?

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:12:50 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 03:16:36 PM »

I had never heard the US versions until today. I don't particularly like either version of Island Fever, but I might like the US version more. Both are so repetitive.

The US version of Summer In Paradise is a bit more sterile, but I like the harmonies during the verses.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:18:33 PM by startBBtoday » Logged
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 03:23:44 PM »

The British "UTB" utilizes Al on the line "under the sun" in the chorus, which is quite nice.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 05:29:21 PM »

Never understood why Terry Melcher replaced Carl on the UK Island Fever.  Tragic. TRAGIC. Makes an otherwise bad song completely unlistenable.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:39:01 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 05:55:43 PM »

Never understood why Terry Melcher replaced Carl on the UK Island Fever.  Tragic. TRAGIC. Makes an otherwise bad song completely unlistenable.

+1. Although I'd say that it was a pretty ok song (for that era BBs, at least) before they tinkered with it. While in general I love hearing Al's voice, I think replacing Carl's voice there was a real boneheaded move, because all the new parts and lyrics really, really don't work. (Plus, because Carl's part/voice was the best part of the song too!) You can tell that there was a very active attempt to rework the song into even more of a commercial Kokomo soundalike than it was previously, but they really broke all the good things about it in the process.  

I'm speculating that Terry Melcher replaced Carl not out of specifically not wanting Carl to sing the new part, but maybe because Carl made himself unavailable for it? Maybe Carl didn't want to polish what he deemed a turd, that makes the most sense to me. Carl moreso than any of his mates had the good sense to not appear in some of the more embarrassing late era BBs product (Wipeout video, anyone?), so I'm thinking the re-record was an example of that.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:59:16 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 09:34:44 PM »

well you can't polish a turd  Grin
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 10:37:27 PM »

This is the first I've heard about there being two versions (mostly because I think the album is a joke and have only heard it once) but am very interested into why this was done. Anyone have the full story? How long apart was the US and UK release?

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 11:16:44 PM »

This is the first I've heard about there being two versions (mostly because I think the album is a joke and have only heard it once) but am very interested into why this was done. Anyone have the full story? How long apart was the US and UK release?

I feel pretty confident in assuming that the main reasons were the poor sales of the US version (hoping re-records would make a difference), plus I think I read that Bruce or Terry mentioned it having been rushed to completion to meet a deadline, so that might have put the desire to "fix" unfinished (to their satisfaction) songs in their minds. Island Fever sounds like a really desperate ill-fated attempt to remake the song as a hit. But I'd love to know the full story too.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:18:23 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 11:33:33 PM »

I've always thought that the US version of Island Fever would have been an excellent single that might have gotten some AC airplay. The UK version sounds absolutely horrible and the whole "doctor doctor" and "my baby can't dance" parts were way too repetitive and sounded looped rather than resung.

I like both versions of Under The Boardwalk, though I thought the US Version was more radio friendly. Al's part, though well sung, did not really mesh too well with the rest of the song, and sounded flown in, which it was.

The US version of SIP is way better than the UK version.

Both versions of Strange Things Happen are fine, but the UK edit made it more radio friendly (though I doubt either got any airplay).

The other versions of Forever are pretty unnecessary as the original US version is superior to them all.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 11:26:14 AM »

I feel pretty confident in assuming that the main reasons were the poor sales of the US version (hoping re-records would make a difference), plus I think I read that Bruce or Terry mentioned it having been rushed to completion to meet a deadline, so that might have put the desire to "fix" unfinished (to their satisfaction) songs in their minds. Island Fever sounds like a really desperate ill-fated attempt to remake the song as a hit. But I'd love to know the full story too.

I wonder what the deadline was, they released it on their own label, I would think they could change the deadline, unless it had something to do with being the first album recorded on Protools.
Nicko1234
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 03:54:54 PM »

I wonder what the deadline was, they released it on their own label, I would think they could change the deadline, unless it had something to do with being the first album recorded on Protools.

I think Bruce has said it was the distribution company (I may be remembering that wrong).
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 07:19:59 PM »

yes, you can.    It just must first be dried in the sun and then coated heavily in polyurethane.   Many records are manufactured in this manner.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 09:23:36 PM »

yes, you can.    It just must first be dried in the sun and then coated heavily in polyurethane.   Many records are manufactured in this manner.
lol...
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 06:50:10 PM »

What was the deal with the distro on SIP? Brother entertainment had a logo than brother records. ?? And didnt capitol release it?
Nicko1234
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 07:17:33 PM »

What was the deal with the distro on SIP? Brother entertainment had a logo than brother records. ?? And didnt capitol release it?

Navarre distributed it didn`t they?
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 11:33:45 PM »

Navarre distributed it didn`t they?
Yeah, Navarre Corp, Minneapolis.

The Eco Pak was produced by Shorewood Packaging, NY

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 11:42:16 AM »

Owning both CDs [my beautiful pair of bargains I paid less than £20 for - in total], I always take the UK CD in my car. The US mixes seem strange to me now...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 12:31:55 PM »

The US mixes seem strange to me now...

But then, Strange Things Happen ...
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 03:14:09 PM »

Brother/Navarre in the US, EMI in the UK
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 03:18:51 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx