gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:42:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike & Carl in Late 1997 Question/Discussion  (Read 60260 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 17, 2014, 02:28:41 PM »

This just turned up on youtube. Carl Wilson fighting illness but still singing like only he could. 1997.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUiWjUYUhOg

Wow. Chills. That is moving watching him fight and sing that well at that stage.

I would like to think the existence of this clip would mean that somewhere in the news station's archives, there might be more pro-shot footage of that show. Maybe.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 17, 2014, 02:42:50 PM »

This just turned up on youtube. Carl Wilson fighting illness but still singing like only he could. 1997.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUiWjUYUhOg
Yes, an amazing day I'll never forget. 

Thanks to the fabulous person, who preserved and uploaded it, and to you, Funky Pretty for linking it.

Carl was later was on a stool but was just as amazing, and his voice was still powerful.

And, still so missed.   Love
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: December 17, 2014, 03:38:59 PM »

Carl sounds really good in that clip. As many observers have noted of the 1997 tour dates, if you were listening to the show, you'd never know anything was amiss. I also miss that blend, with Mike, Al, and Carl.

I was horrified to see this thread pop back up. I started it, with an honest attempt to examine a key period in the band's history. That all went to s**t, but I'm glad to see the thread back up to show us how good Carl sounded in 1997. I'd also say, while the angles aren't super close up and it's obviously from an old VHS tape, Carl looks *relatively* okay too. I know some folks have seemed taken aback by the photos of Carl from 1997, and that one from '97 or early '98 printed one time in ESQ. But I've never seen a truly *horrible* picture of Carl from 1997. The one in the Stebbins/Rusten book is perhaps the least flattering. But he looked (and definitely sounded) to be holding up quite well considering what was going on.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 17, 2014, 04:24:53 PM »

Carl sounds really good in that clip. As many observers have noted of the 1997 tour dates, if you were listening to the show, you'd never know anything was amiss. I also miss that blend, with Mike, Al, and Carl.

I was horrified to see this thread pop back up. I started it, with an honest attempt to examine a key period in the band's history. That all went to s**t, but I'm glad to see the thread back up to show us how good Carl sounded in 1997. I'd also say, while the angles aren't super close up and it's obviously from an old VHS tape, Carl looks *relatively* okay too. I know some folks have seemed taken aback by the photos of Carl from 1997, and that one from '97 or early '98 printed one time in ESQ. But I've never seen a truly *horrible* picture of Carl from 1997. The one in the Stebbins/Rusten book is perhaps the least flattering. But he looked (and definitely sounded) to be holding up quite well considering what was going on.
You'd know that something was amiss because Mike briefed the audience about Carl's condition, at the beginning of the show.  And Carl did really well, but the audience was on eggshells, as I suppose his bandmates were.  And toward the end of the summer, things seemed to fall apart, but we knew we were in the presence of greatness and courage.

So glad it was posted. 

lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 17, 2014, 05:25:22 PM »

I looked up the date because I wanted to get it right.  The Beach Boys played the Borrough of York Stadium June 26, 1971.  Alice Cooper, Lighthouse, Steppenwolf, Bread , Blood Rock were also part of it.  Steppenwolf closed it.  The Beach Boys played during the afternoon.  I had backstage access due to being involved with a small high school based promotions company we called 'Magic Bus'.  Cymba [or maybe it was spelled Cimba...] was the promoting company for this show and we had a good relationship with them.  They'd go on to become CPI...Concert Productions International.  They were HUGE.

As the boys wrapped up their portion of the show I waited at the bottom of the stairs leading off of the stage for Carl.  As he reached me I asked him how Brian was.  He replied that Brian was doing OK and that they had hopes that he might be rejoining them again a little further along the path.  Then I asked him what David was up to and was he still in contact with him?   That was the question he wanted to answer.  He and Dave were pretty good buddies and I guess Carl figured that I must know something about something if I was interested to know what was happening with their old band-mate, friend and neighbour from across the street.

The guys were staying a bit of a drive away at The old Beverly Hills Motor Inn and the limo was leaving.  Carl said come on with us.  We'll have some lunch and talk.  I didn't have to be asked twice.  I mean I had just wrapped up my high school daze about 2 weeks previous.  [No final exams]  And here I was headin' out for lunch with a guy who, to me, was like a part of my family.  I'd been listening to him and the boys and reading as much as I could about them since the summer of '63.  So in a sense they were always in my home and participating in my life.  I had never stopped listening.  I had everything they'd recorded [even Smiley Smile] and I guess Holland was pretty much recorded and in the can at this point [June/71]

So we went back to the Motor Inn, had a nice leisurely lunch, chatted about various things, Carl introduced me to the rest of the guys, Dennis and Mike were heading out to have some fun and made fun of Carl for being stuck with me, and not too long after that it all wrapped up smoothly and nicely.  Carl asked if there was anything more I wanted to know.  I said no and thanked him.  Then I got up to leave.  He said are you going back to the stadium?  I replied that I was.  Carl then said hold on...I'll get the limo for you.  In no time...there I was being limo'd back to link up with my concert going friends and to enjoy the rest of the night.  I missed Alice Cooper and another act or two.  I didn't care...AT ALL.  I'd really only gone to see and hear the Beach Boys anyway.  What a great day.  That was 43 years ago.  16 months later...while I was still in college...my radio career began.

I saw Carl maybe another 6 or 7 times after that...at various concerts I MC'd in Winnipeg and Toronto.  He was always surrounded by plenty of folks and he was always accomodating.  We spoke of our wee lunch once...I guess it must have been about 12 years later...and he remembered it.  Not the normal routine I guess.  Last time I can remember having direct contact would have been the early 90s during the box set tour.  Carl was a really, REALLY nice man.  He was a sensational talent.  His voice ... was just magnificent.

I'm glad folks care[d] about him.  Carl Wilson was a truly caring person...in every way, shape and form.  

"The smile you send out...

That is an incredible story!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 17, 2014, 11:18:56 PM »

Now, folks, this is an example of a thread that turned itself around into something truly worthwhile. Kudos to all, but especially to Ray (for being the straight-ahead, great guy that he is, making one of the most perectly-timed thread entries in the history of Western civilization!!) and to Add Some (for a story that is a beautiful reminder of just how special a person Carl Wilson was).

And to HeyJude, for perseverance above and beyond the call of duty.
luckyoldsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 17, 2014, 11:52:40 PM »

I looked up the date because I wanted to get it right.  The Beach Boys played the Borrough of York Stadium June 26, 1971.  Alice Cooper, Lighthouse, Steppenwolf, Bread , Blood Rock were also part of it.  Steppenwolf closed it.  The Beach Boys played during the afternoon.  I had backstage access due to being involved with a small high school based promotions company we called 'Magic Bus'.  Cymba [or maybe it was spelled Cimba...] was the promoting company for this show and we had a good relationship with them.  They'd go on to become CPI...Concert Productions International.  They were HUGE.

As the boys wrapped up their portion of the show I waited at the bottom of the stairs leading off of the stage for Carl.  As he reached me I asked him how Brian was.  He replied that Brian was doing OK and that they had hopes that he might be rejoining them again a little further along the path.  Then I asked him what David was up to and was he still in contact with him?   That was the question he wanted to answer.  He and Dave were pretty good buddies and I guess Carl figured that I must know something about something if I was interested to know what was happening with their old band-mate, friend and neighbour from across the street.

The guys were staying a bit of a drive away at The old Beverly Hills Motor Inn and the limo was leaving.  Carl said come on with us.  We'll have some lunch and talk.  I didn't have to be asked twice.  I mean I had just wrapped up my high school daze about 2 weeks previous.  [No final exams]  And here I was headin' out for lunch with a guy who, to me, was like a part of my family.  I'd been listening to him and the boys and reading as much as I could about them since the summer of '63.  So in a sense they were always in my home and participating in my life.  I had never stopped listening.  I had everything they'd recorded [even Smiley Smile] and I guess Holland was pretty much recorded and in the can at this point [June/71]

So we went back to the Motor Inn, had a nice leisurely lunch, chatted about various things, Carl introduced me to the rest of the guys, Dennis and Mike were heading out to have some fun and made fun of Carl for being stuck with me, and not too long after that it all wrapped up smoothly and nicely.  Carl asked if there was anything more I wanted to know.  I said no and thanked him.  Then I got up to leave.  He said are you going back to the stadium?  I replied that I was.  Carl then said hold on...I'll get the limo for you.  In no time...there I was being limo'd back to link up with my concert going friends and to enjoy the rest of the night.  I missed Alice Cooper and another act or two.  I didn't care...AT ALL.  I'd really only gone to see and hear the Beach Boys anyway.  What a great day.  That was 43 years ago.  16 months later...while I was still in college...my radio career began.

I saw Carl maybe another 6 or 7 times after that...at various concerts I MC'd in Winnipeg and Toronto.  He was always surrounded by plenty of folks and he was always accomodating.  We spoke of our wee lunch once...I guess it must have been about 12 years later...and he remembered it.  Not the normal routine I guess.  Last time I can remember having direct contact would have been the early 90s during the box set tour.  Carl was a really, REALLY nice man.  He was a sensational talent.  His voice ... was just magnificent.

I'm glad folks care[d] about him.  Carl Wilson was a truly caring person...in every way, shape and form.  

"The smile you send out...

That was wonderful. Thank you for sharing that. That genuinely moves me.

Wish you'd help me find the key ...
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: December 17, 2014, 11:53:45 PM »

That video is a great find! Oftentimes, local news stations will be allowed to video for the first ten minutes or so of the concert, then would need to leave after that. The key was for them to just get a few glimpses of the show to air on the local news, and nothing more. "I can hear music" was often the second song in the setlist in 1997, right after California Girls, so I surmise that's what happened here.

I echo HeyJude's thoughts that Carl looks relatively ok here, and that it wasn't obvious that he was battling cancer.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: December 17, 2014, 11:57:31 PM »

I echo HeyJude's thoughts that Carl looks relatively ok here, and that it wasn't obvious that he was battling cancer.

Granted the video is taken from quite a distance back...hard to get a true feel for the realities.  But that's just as well I think.  He sounds really good.  They all do. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 18, 2014, 12:08:25 AM »

Carl looks a little heavier in that clip, but not bad at all, and sounds just as he always did. That man was blessed with one of the most beautiful voices on the planet, and he never lost it.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: December 18, 2014, 08:31:55 AM »

You'd know that something was amiss because Mike briefed the audience about Carl's condition, at the beginning of the show.  And Carl did really well, but the audience was on eggshells, as I suppose his bandmates were.  And toward the end of the summer, things seemed to fall apart, but we knew we were in the presence of greatness and courage.

So glad it was posted. 

Obviously, my reference was to hearing a given song performance and not hearing anything amiss. I'm well aware Mike spoke about Carl during this string of shows. I certainly hope that's what Carl wanted and that mentioning this during shows was *his* idea; I personally wouldn't have wanted that brought up night after night if I were Carl, for a number of different reasons, but that's just me.

Carl actually sounds *better* in some 1997 clips I've heard than he did at some random other points during the 90's. Strange, and wonderful.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 18, 2014, 09:15:14 AM »

So glad it was posted. 
Obviously, my reference was to hearing a given song performance and not hearing anything amiss. I'm well aware Mike spoke about Carl during this string of shows. I certainly hope that's what Carl wanted and that mentioning this during shows was *his* idea; I personally wouldn't have wanted that brought up night after night if I were Carl, for a number of different reasons, but that's just me.

Carl actually sounds *better* in some 1997 clips I've heard than he did at some random other points during the 90's. Strange, and wonderful.
My bad if I was not thorough, explaining.  Prior to that tour, there was a press release/story in the newspapers, announcing Carl's diagnosis.  Mike's dealing with the audience was clearly easier than Carl having to do so, himself, energy draining as it would be. 

As Mike spoke to the audience (clearly not easy for him) you could almost feel collective grief among the audience.  People were shaking their heads, after Mike confirmed what they already read in the news.  "The show must go on," and it did, as we/they were making the best of a bad situation. But, Carl's performance, was so outstanding, that it defies logic, even now. 

And, where it might be "night after night" after having toured all those decades, Carl/the guys would know that each audience was different, but all having the same news stories, heralding this tour.  And there was likely some "predetermined info" that was agreed upon prior to it, to be released to the audience, who first, already knew the diagnosis from the news, and second, gave (Carl) the most rousing applause I've ever seen, at a BB show, before or since.

On that day, around the 20th or 21st of June, and outdoors, that song was probably in the second set,(as Eric A. noted) after some God-awful warm up act, because the taping shows it was darker, like at dusk, despite it being the on or near the summer solstice. It was very bright when the BB's took the stage.

But fans (guilty as charged!) kept drifting down toward the stage to take photographs and for their farewell look at the guy with most amazing voice, ever, in rock and roll.  And security was unusually and thankfully lax that day. 

Again, thanks to the person who preserved the tape, and second to Pretty Funky.  Wink
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 18, 2014, 12:30:35 PM »

My first concert was The Beach Boys w/ America on June 29, 1994 @ Finger Lakes Performing Arts Center, Canandaigua NY. I was 9 yrs old. I vaguely remember it. Anybody have footage or pics..!?
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 19, 2014, 04:28:19 PM »

I could read people's Carl stories all night. What a beautiful soul - and a voice to match. I sing a little and people have asked me a few times which singers I most admire - I've always said if I could have any voice it would be Carl Wilson's. I'm increasingly envious of and aspiring to match his generous spirit too.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 19, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »

I agree that Carl sounded great in '97! Better than he had in years. ( Not that he ever sounded bad)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: December 19, 2014, 10:43:45 PM »

( Not that he ever sounded bad)

Well...there was once...was it in Australia?   Shocked  [hic - up]  If I was a singer and I could sound like Carl...I'd be freekin' excellent.  Sounding like either Nat King Cole or Brook Benton would be fine with me too.  [And then there's reality. LOL]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 20, 2014, 01:28:47 PM »

Not to try to turn this into a general Carl thread if it isn't already, but has anyone ever heard a more beautiful God Only Knows than the Knebworth version? I know he nailed it practically every night, but man, the richness of his voice on that recording is something else. Best I recall hearing.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 20, 2014, 06:02:34 PM »

Not to try to turn this into a general Carl thread if it isn't already, but has anyone ever heard a more beautiful God Only Knows than the Knebworth version? I know he nailed it practically every night, but man, the richness of his voice on that recording is something else. Best I recall hearing.

Yes, I prefer the 1993 box set tour version. It's all subjective.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 21, 2014, 05:44:21 AM »

The '67 Hawaii "rehearsal" for me.  With the stripped-down arrangement, it almost becomes a lullabye.  Takes my breath away.

Cheers,
Jon Blum
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 21, 2014, 10:09:34 AM »

I believe Alan Boyd directed a documentary of the 1991 UK Tour.  There's a great version on that, as well as Bruce doing Please Let Me Wonder.  There's also group interviews and stuff.  Maybe Alan can chip in here and tell us more.  I wonder why it was never released?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 21, 2014, 10:15:35 AM »

IMO, Knebworth is way too fast. Bugged me that they used that version for the C50, but oh well.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: December 21, 2014, 11:56:35 AM »

The '67 Hawaii "rehearsal" for me.  With the stripped-down arrangement, it almost becomes a lullabye.  Takes my breath away.

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Yes, I like that version almost better than the original! And a close second is the Live In London version. Unfortunately Al's vocals is too silent in during the ending. Otherwise it's aperfect version

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 22, 2014, 12:39:44 PM »

IMO, Knebworth is way too fast. Bugged me that they used that version for the C50, but oh well.

My feelings exactly

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 22, 2014, 01:22:15 PM »

My favorite might be the Carnegie Hall version ( which should be released)  The Carl/Dennis/Al tag is incredible.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 22, 2014, 02:01:54 PM »

My favorite live version of "God Only Knows", and the one I was hoping they would use for the C50 tour, was from the 1989 Endless Summer TV show. A later version, with a little rougher vocal from Carl, but still exceptional, was from the 1996 Farm Aid concert.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx