gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680819 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:31:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Little Deuce Coupe Album  (Read 10797 times)
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2015, 01:34:48 PM »

Is there an online discography anywhere of these BB's Pickwick albums? I've found several sites that show all the Elvis Pickwick/Camden albums, but nothing for the Beach Boys other than the standard album issues.

I'd love to see an online BB Pickwick discography, then I could see which ones I'm missing. I've got a small pile of 'em, lemme just take a peak...okay on Pickwick I have Good Vibrations (SPC 3269), Surfer Girl (SPC 3351), Little Deuce Coupe (SPC 3562), Wow Great Concert (SPC 3309), Beach Boys (SPC 3221)...other weird budget albums I have are La Grande Storia Del Rock (Armando Curcio Editore Records GSR 12), Beach Boys Greatest Hits 1961-1963 (Springboard Records SPB 4021), Beach Boys 20 Original Hits (Not all songs by the Beach Boys - ESL Records SD 4011), Surfin' (Movie Play Records 10012), Beach Boys Greatest Hits 1961-1963 (Wand Records WDS 688), Summer Fun (TeeVee Records TA 3-2021)...and these weird BB-related budget albums: The Surfsiders Sing The Beach Boys Songbook (Design Records DLP 208), The Deuce Coupes And The Shut Downs (Crown Records CLP 5393). Not to mention a countless amount of Capitol Records Budget Priced Reissues with similar titles (eg Good Vibrations, Surfer Girl etc.)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 01:37:56 PM by Mike Garneau » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2015, 02:40:22 PM »

The Beach Boys material didn't hit Pickwick until 1970, after their contract with Capitol had expired and the original BBs Capitol catalog was deleted. The same month the first BBs Pickwick album appeared Capitol began a series of reissues, starting with the All Summer Long / California Girls two-fer, deleting one song from each side of the original albums.

Checking my collection, and using release dates from Brad Elliot's Surf's Up! The Beach Boys on Record 1961-1981, Pickwick released the following BB albums:

The Beach Boys, 7-1-70, Pickwick SPC-3221

Good Vibrations, 2-22-71, Pickwick SPC-3269 (Has a "A" on the shrink wrap, with the "A" category being the least expensive records sold at that particular store.)

Wow!  Great Concert!, 7-31-72, Pickwick SPC-3309 (This one is not in my collection.  Never bought it, as the cover looked too bizarre and 4 of the live songs from the original album are missing.)

High Water (2 record set), 4-30-73, Pickwick PTP-2059

Surfer Girl, 6-4-73, Pickwick SPC-3351 (Another "A" on the shrink wrap.)

Little Deuce Coupe, 11-17-76, Pickwick SPC-3562.

Corrections and/or additions welcome, as it's quite possible there were others I didn't buy or notice during my quick perusal of Brad Elliot's Surf's Up book.

Interesting Wikipedia articles on Pickwick Records and Budget Albums:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickwick_Records

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_album

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2015, 02:50:51 PM »

The Beach Boys material didn't hit Pickwick until 1970, after their contract with Capitol had expired and the original BBs Capitol catalog was deleted. The same month the first BBs Pickwick album appeared Capitol began a series of reissues, starting with the All Summer Long / California Girls two-fer, deleting one song from each side of the original albums.

Checking my collection, and using release dates from Brad Elliot's Surf's Up! The Beach Boys on Record 1961-1981, Pickwick released the following BB albums:

Good Vibrations, 2-22-71, Pickwick SPC-3269 (Has a "A" on the shrink wrap, with the "A" category being the least expensive records sold at that particular store.)

Wow!  Great Concert!, 7-31-72, Pickwick SPC-3309 (This one is not in my collection.  Never bought it, as the cover looked too bizarre and 4 of the live songs from the original album are missing.)

Corrections and/or additions welcome, as it's quite possible there were others I didn't buy or notice during my quick perusal of Brad Elliot's Surf's Up book.

do any of these have any interesting mixes? or are they the same mixes used..
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2015, 03:28:10 PM »

Wow!  Great Concert!, 7-31-72, Pickwick SPC-3309 (This one is not in my collection.  Never bought it, as the cover looked too bizarre and 4 of the live songs from the original album are missing.)

Regular mixes.  The only diff I'm aware of could be the segues on Wow! Great Concert!, where a few of the songs are out of order.  As a budget release my guess is that they simply made edits off the original album master (or copy thereof), so I'm wondering if any of those segues are overly obvious, or obviously covered over with additional crowd screaming to help hide the new edits.  Then again, adding additional screams to help hide edits between songs is what it sounds like they did on the original album, and would have had to do for the studio recordings on that album.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 03:29:39 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2015, 04:37:31 PM »

From the Pickwick Records wiki page...

"In the early 1980s, Pickwick manufactured so-called "audiophile" pressings on heavy vinyl (usually 180-240 grams). However, some audio aficionados found sound quality in these pressings inferior to that of normal vinyl. These LPs were quickly deleted and taken off the shelves to a point where some record collectors are willing to pay fortunes for these pressings. In 2003, a copy of The Beach Boys Greatest Hits sold for just over $2,500."

Wowzers!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2015, 05:34:34 PM »

"In the early 1980s, Pickwick manufactured so-called "audiophile" pressings on heavy vinyl (usually 180-240 grams). However, some audio aficionados found sound quality in these pressings inferior to that of normal vinyl. These LPs were quickly deleted and taken off the shelves to a point where some record collectors are willing to pay fortunes for these pressings. In 2003, a copy of The Beach Boys Greatest Hits sold for just over $2,500."

Wowzers!

Does anyone here have one of these?  What tracks does it contain?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2015, 07:44:12 PM »

Wowzers!

yeah, ya know what, I call bullshit. Let's see some proof, from anyone/anywhere, that this isn't simply a  made for wiki joke.
Oh!  I really want to see the $4000 James Bond LP!!! 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2015, 08:30:18 PM »

Wow!  Great Concert!, 7-31-72, Pickwick SPC-3309 (This one is not in my collection.  Never bought it, as the cover looked too bizarre and 4 of the live songs from the original album are missing.)

Regular mixes.  The only diff I'm aware of could be the segues on Wow! Great Concert!, where a few of the songs are out of order.  As a budget release my guess is that they simply made edits off the original album master (or copy thereof), so I'm wondering if any of those segues are overly obvious, or obviously covered over with additional crowd screaming to help hide the new edits.  Then again, adding additional screams to help hide edits between songs is what it sounds like they did on the original album, and would have had to do for the studio recordings on that album.

The Surfin' Safari tracks included on "The Beach Boys" are presented in fake stereo, but nothing new or revealing mix-wise.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2015, 08:36:55 PM »

Wasn't Pickwick a sort of Capitol subsidiary label.  I think it was.  Just another way that 'they' mistreated the image of 'our heroes'.  It's almost as if the examples of them doing THAT are endless.  And didn't those 'cheap' albums also use a lower grade vinyl as well?

I don't recall there being any Pickwick Beatles records.

No wonder the big record companies went doen the toilet...in many cases...over the years.  Nincompoops....and now what's left are generally run by bean-counters with no 'feel' for music, artists, or customers.  They might as well be selling SPAM...Monty Python era SPAM that is. Angry

They also had Elvis ones too.Smiley

yes I got this one..Side 1= Good, unreleased for the time, recorded for Aloha, Side B= bad, songs already issued on other albums, all soundtrack songs..
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2015, 10:46:43 PM »

The Surfin' Safari tracks included on "The Beach Boys" are presented in fake stereo, but nothing new or revealing mix-wise.

True that the Surfin' Safari tracks on "The Beach Boys" Pickwick LP are presented in duophonic fake stereo, but those are the same mixes used by Capitol on the Surfin' Safari LP, which Capitol misleadingly labeled "Capitol Full Dimensional Stereo".
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2015, 11:02:50 PM »

Wowzers!

yeah, ya know what, I call bullshit. Let's see some proof, from anyone/anywhere, that this isn't simply a  made for wiki joke.
Oh!  I really want to see the $4000 James Bond LP!!! 

I'd never heard of this release before, and bgas if you've never heard nor seen one of these and are calling BS, then I've gotta agree that it's BS.  And, there is no reference on the Wikipedia page to back up this claim.  Plus the price seems outrageous for a budget label release with, presumably, nothing to make it notable other than the fact that it was pressed on thick vinyl (and historically thick vinyl found it's way into many non-audiophile LP releasees).  And Pickwick putting out "audiophile" recordings?  If that ever happened (doubtful) perhaps it's plausible that if they were low quality they could have been quickly deleted from the catalog, but "taken off the shelves" too?  Just because some audiophile found them to be noisy?  I agree, the whole thing sounds like BS.  And after having said that, perhaps next up - Lee Dempsey will post a photo of his copy.

kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 11:11:19 PM »

Little Deuce Coupe was not their first great album, Surfer Girl was.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 11:26:52 PM »

Thanks, I believe I have seen all of the above. High Water was just Good Vibrations and Wow! Great Concert repackaged as a double album, seems like a girlfriend had that one.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2015, 11:44:22 PM »

Thanks, I believe I have seen all of the above. High Water was just Good Vibrations and Wow! Great Concert repackaged as a double album, seems like a girlfriend had that one.

Oh, wow, it's been so many years (actually decades) since I last listened to High Water that I didn't even remember that!

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2015, 01:47:49 PM »

Oh, wow, it's been so many years (actually decades) since I last listened to High Water that I didn't even remember that!

Yeah, it was a strong seller just pre-Endless Summer.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx