gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:50:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Santa Ana Winds  (Read 7814 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2014, 10:29:53 AM »

What can you guys tell me about this song? I always figured it was an Al song, but was surprised to see Brian had a cowriting credit. Still, I'd assume it was mostly Al's handiwork, though I may be waaaaay off base.

I think the chorus is amazing. I particularly love the bass vocal part near the end, "Santa Ana wiiiiiinds keep bloooowing". It has a strange, mystical quality to it, like an actual breeze blowing out of your speakers. Heck, even the string arrangements are pretty darn good; the vocal melody in the verses are appropriately strident; and you'd have to be subhuman to hate the harmonica bits.

It also has such classic Beach Boys drums, tied so perfectly into the overall sound you almost can't tell if the drums exist, and yet the song wouldn't be the same without it.

Believe it or not, the spoken intro doesn't even bother me!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:45:14 AM »

My favourite song from KTSA by a mile. Intended, in its nascent form, for LA. Was it meant to be part of a California Saga-type trilogy with Lookin' Down The Coast/Song of the Whale? Assuming that Song of the Whale is an alternate title for Lookin' Down the Coast, which I always have, what was the third part (if there ever was one)? Don't Fight the Sea was started by then, so...? Whatever, both Santa Ana Winds and Lookin' Down the Coast would've improved LA (which I mostly like anyway, but there are several songs I wouldn't miss). I prefer the lyrics to the KTSA version, but the LA outtake is less sweetened, so it's six and two threes for me. I also assumed it's largely Al's work. Kinda hoped he would've redone it for his album...
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 10:56:06 AM »

Al's California stuff was cool. "Lookin' Down the Coast" would've been a perfect Holland song, although the BBs version sounds demo-ish to my ears. It's just not a great production instrumentally (and I'm referring to the arrangement, not the sound quality of the boots). Al's solo version is better, but it still doesn't feel like the ultimate version. He nailed "California Feelin'", but not this one.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:57:14 AM by Mr. Cohen » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 11:13:14 AM »

Imagine Santa Ana Winds/Looking' Down the Coast/California Feelin' as an updated California Saga in 1979. One can only dream...

Anyway, always loved Santa Ana Winds, although I think the original version is much better than what Bruce came up with for KTSA. I heard him say in an interview that he didn't like the original backing track and so he recorded a new one. The original arrangement sounds much more BW-like and much fuller overall. Also, the lyrics weren't half as cheesy.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 11:18:02 AM »

I wonder whose idea it was to include the very unnecessary spoken word intro. It's sooo clunky and not needed! I wonder if it was a bandmember, or perhaps a music executive outside of the band who worried that listeners wouldn't know what Santa Ana winds are. Which is true, most people probably wouldn't know, but still, listeners don't need descriptive handholding like that intro!

That said, I do like the song a lot for its KTSA era. The only odd thing is that the BBs harmony voices don't really sound that much like the BBs, which is really strange to me. Sort of in the way that I similarly feel that the BBs harmony voices on She's Got Rhythm don't really sound that much like the BBs either.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:20:35 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 11:42:01 AM »

A really cool song, and could be easily played in concert. I'm surprised Al has never once dusted the song off for his live shows over the years. It was in the 1980 setlist for awhile, and then dropped before the end of the year.

I agree, a remix to get that spoken intro out of the way would be ideal.

The released version on KTSA carried over the backing vocals and some other bits from the 1978 "LA" sessions version. On that earlier version, you can more easily pick out Brian's backing vocals near the end.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 11:47:08 AM »

A really cool song, and could be easily played in concert. I'm surprised Al has never once dusted the song off for his live shows over the years. It was in the 1980 setlist for awhile, and then dropped before the end of the year.

The released version on KTSA carried over the backing vocals and some other bits from the 1978 "LA" sessions version. On that earlier version, you can more easily pick out Brian's backing vocals near the end.

I would have expected a reissued version (sans spoken word intro) to have been released at some point. Probably will be in the future, I'd imagine  - Mount Vernon and Fairway (A Fairy Tale)-style.

I wonder if Al in hindsight thinks the intro is lame too. Then again, maybe it's just you and I who feel the way we do about the spoken word intro. Maybe Al likes it.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 11:54:09 AM »

I would have expected a reissued version (sans spoken word intro) to have been released at some point. Probably will be in the future, I'd imagine  - Mount Vernon and Fairway (A Fairy Tale)-style.

I wonder if Al in hindsight thinks the intro is lame too. Then again, maybe it's just you and I who feel the way we do about the spoken word intro. Maybe Al likes it.

Unless they open up the "Brother Archives" and/or do expanded reissues of all the albums including KTSA, I doubt we'll see the track revisited again.

Al seems to respond positively when someone mentions the song to him. Considering it's a very easy song to play, I'm amazed not once (to my knowledge) has Al performed this live since 1980, not even at the New York show earlier this year where he dug up some eclectic songs to play. Brian's band would sound great on the song.

Al will be playing with Brian at the two Bridge School benefit shows this weekend. They're acoustic shows, so it would be a cool song to play in a show like that. But Al has already said he literally just tags along on the Brian shows; he doesn't work on the setlist with them. Plus, if they pulled out something weird at those shows, it might be "California Saga" with Neil Young or something, since Neil Young sang on Al's solo album version.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 12:00:33 PM »

I would have expected a reissued version (sans spoken word intro) to have been released at some point. Probably will be in the future, I'd imagine  - Mount Vernon and Fairway (A Fairy Tale)-style.

Unless they open up the "Brother Archives" and/or do expanded reissues of all the albums including KTSA, I doubt we'll see the track revisited again.

Al seems to respond positively when someone mentions the song to him. Considering it's a very easy song to play, I'm amazed not once (to my knowledge) has Al performed this live since 1980, not even at the New York show earlier this year where he dug up some eclectic songs to play. Brian's band would sound great on the song.

Al will be playing with Brian at the two Bridge School benefit shows this weekend. They're acoustic shows, so it would be a cool song to play in a show like that. But Al has already said he literally just tags along on the Brian shows; he doesn't work on the setlist with them. Plus, if they pulled out something weird at those shows, it might be "California Saga" with Neil Young or something, since Neil Young sang on Al's solo album version.

I wonder if it's an instance of Al just feeling the song doesn't really have many fans. I agree, he should totally play it.

Here's a question: did anyone in the band ever speak the spoken word intro live at any of the times when the song was played in 1980?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 12:05:02 PM »

I would have expected a reissued version (sans spoken word intro) to have been released at some point. Probably will be in the future, I'd imagine  - Mount Vernon and Fairway (A Fairy Tale)-style.

I wonder if it's an instance of Al just feeling the song doesn't really have many fans. I agree, he should totally play it.

Here's a question: did anyone in the band ever speak the spoken word intro live at any of the times when the song was played in 1980?

I'm sure the song doesn't come to Al's mind often because it's an obscure one. But he has pulled out obscure tracks before. I mean, "Lookin' at Tomorrow" isn't particularly more well-known among the masses than "Santa Ana Winds."

I've never heard that they did the spoken word intro live. Al may have talked during the intro describing the song, but I don't think they had Al reciting word-for-word what is heard on the album.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 12:23:53 PM »

Santa Ana Winds is good.  Lookin' at Tomorrow (regardless of its origins) is really good.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 12:50:36 PM »

Santa Ana Winds is good.  Lookin' at Tomorrow (regardless of its origins) is really good.

I’ve always thought it would be great to hear Al backed by Brian’s band doing both of these songs. I’ve held out a tiny bit more hope for “Lookin’ at Tomorrow”, as Al has performed the song from time to time over the last 15 years, including at his 2012 Roxy gig just before the C50 tour.

PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 01:14:47 PM »

Brian's falsetto at the end of the track always sends shivers down my spine (for the right reasons).

'Won't last foreverrrrrrrr'.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 01:27:53 PM »

When my band played with Al Jardine in 2006, I strongly advocated that we do this tune.  One of my own band members really didn't like the song, so it didn't happen.  Missed opportunity!  We did do "Honkin'" and not long after that Al rerecorded it, so maybe doing it with us had something to do with that.  But who knows.  I love the song too and I feel a little guilty reading this thread we didn't seize that opportunity.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 02:24:35 PM »

I heard the unreleased version before I heard the released version and I still think the earlier take is vastly superior to the over-produced, over-written KTSA track.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 02:47:07 PM »

I like the unreleased version a lot.  In feel, it sounds kinda like a '90s grunge band, like the Lemonheads or someone, in the verses, anyway.

I prefer the released version though.  Mike's line finishes those sections properly, the lyrics are better.  But I don't compare them, generally.  Feel like each version was going for something different.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 03:02:25 PM »

I heard the unreleased version before I heard the released version and I still think the earlier take is vastly superior to the over-produced, over-written KTSA track.

Seriously ? The lyrics to the 1978 version are hilariously clunky:

"On my porch
Thinkin' 'bout the torch
I've been carryin' for you so long"

... and after that it gets really laughable.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 03:05:03 PM »

Brian's falsetto at the end of the track always sends shivers down my spine (for the right reasons).

'Won't last foreverrrrrrrr'.

Ummm... if you're going to say something like this, might be an idea to check you're quoting the right track. Otherwise you end up looking... well... silly.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 03:19:42 PM »

KTSA version totally blows away the early version, early take sounds like a sound check desk recording.

Acoustic bass - nifty - an(d)a moment of relief on a headscratcher album
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 12:21:43 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 04:50:01 PM »

The KTSA version actually sounds less cluttered and more stripped down to me. Yes, it has some strings. But it drops the drums, and drops out the bass harmonica and whatnot.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 04:55:29 PM »

When my band played with Al Jardine in 2006, I strongly advocated that we do this tune.  One of my own band members really didn't like the song, so it didn't happen.  Missed opportunity!  We did do "Honkin'" and not long after that Al rerecorded it, so maybe doing it with us had something to do with that.  But who knows.  I love the song too and I feel a little guilty reading this thread we didn't seize that opportunity.

I remember back when you guys did that gig, and that was indeed the first time I think Al have revisited that track since probably 1977. I think it's highly probable your suggestion had something to do with Al cutting it for his solo album.

The only other case I can think of where Al would have pulled out some rare tracks was when he was scheduled but then had to back out of one of those Pop Overthrow festivals in the early 2000's. I remember reading afterward someone mentioning that Al was going to do a bunch of obscure tracks, like "Lady Lynda."

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 05:55:27 PM »

Al's vocals on this song are pretty awful

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 07:22:31 PM »

Is it really Brian on harmonica? Love that bit.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 07:34:27 PM »

Is it really Brian on harmonica? Love that bit.

Nope.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 07:49:43 PM »

I always thought Santa Ana Winds" would've fit better on L.A. Light Album than KTSA. L.A. Light Album would've definitely benefited from it's energy. Maybe something like this:

1. Good Timin'
2. Full Sail
3. Santa Ana Winds
4. Angel Come Home
5. Goin' South
6. Lady Lynda
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx