gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:16:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cuddle Up  (Read 4413 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2014, 03:12:19 PM »

I was driving home today in my car with a self-made Beach Boys mix CD playing on almost maximum volume. And although I've already known the song for quite a while, I was completely overwhelmed by the instrumental middle part of 'Cuddle Up'. I know that as a whole this song rambles a bit, but that middle part... If there's a heaven, they should get that as the background music for when you enter the gates. This really must be one of the most intense (and underrated) couple of minutes in the entire Beach Boys catalogue. Anyone agree?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »

Yes.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 04:09:40 PM »

Denny did beautiful work, indeed...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 04:49:08 PM »

I was driving home today in my car with a self-made Beach Boys mix CD playing on almost maximum volume. And although I've already known the song for quite a while, I was completely overwhelmed by the instrumental middle part of 'Cuddle Up'. I know that as a whole this song rambles a bit, but that middle part... If there's a heaven, they should get that as the background music for when you enter the gates. This really must be one of the most intense (and underrated) couple of minutes in the entire Beach Boys catalogue. Anyone agree?

Absolutely! "Cuddle Up" is, in my opinion, one of the 2-3 most underrated released songs in the Beach Boys' catalog. I'm still amazed it hasn't been covered by more artists - and been a hit.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 05:24:56 PM »

Oh yeah. I always thought 'Cuddle Up' was way underrated and to me that's a real shame, 'cause it's so beautiful. First time I heard 'Cuddle Up', my skin got all covered with goosebumps. Still happens all the time when I heart it now. Helluva song
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:29:48 PM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 09:13:18 AM »

Amazing song. The middle section is, I agree, the highlight, but it's all good.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 09:19:47 AM »

Cuddle Up is the track I wanted to win the Survivor round we did. Love it.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 09:39:35 AM »

Cuddle Up has been a masterpiece, in my mind, since I first heard it back in 1976.  When I got remarried in 2012, it was the last song in the pre-ceremony mix, just before the ceremony began.  I had a lump in my throat waiting and there were a few tears in the audience.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 09:57:30 AM »

One of Dennis Wilson's very best for sure, right up there with Forever and Thoughts of You.

The middle part is very close to something that Ennio Morricone might come up with and the singing by the boys is exceptional.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 03:33:03 PM »

Gorgeous song! Grin
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 04:02:34 PM »

Count me in!

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 12:30:54 AM »

And me.

Mesmerising and Spectacular

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 11:22:15 PM »

Superglad it didn't.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 02:03:54 AM »

One of the least "Beach Boys" sounding tracks they had released so far.... Weird fuckin' album overall though. Could you imagine getting a copy of Carl & The Passions after only hearing their Surfin' USA or All Summer Long albums? No wonder their commercial successes were minimal in the '70s unless they were releasing greatest hits compilations.

But us members of the Church Of The Beach Boys see beyond the fluff and can appreciate the music that deviates from the popular "norm".

But when you really think about it, how the funk is the band that released "He Come Down" or "Hold On Dear Brother" the same band as the one that released "Surfin' Safari" or "Dance, Dance, Dance"? Talk about spreading your artistic wings, am I right? Damn right.

No mas, por favor.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 03:52:23 AM »

I like Cuddle Up. But it ain't no favourite admittedly.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to the Solo Survivor threads?
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 03:57:47 AM »

But when you really think about it, how the funk is the band that released "He Come Down" or "Hold On Dear Brother" the same band as the one that released "Surfin' Safari" or "Dance, Dance, Dance"? Talk about spreading your artistic wings, am I right? Damn right.

For that matter, how many of the people on "Surfin' Safari" are even *on* "Hold On Dear Brother"?  I could be wrong, but the count might be, one.  (Carl.)  That's like a Fleetwood-Mac-from-Albatross-to-Buckingham-Nicks level of reinventing yourself...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 05:17:04 AM »

One of the least "Beach Boys" sounding tracks they had released so far.... Weird fuckin' album overall though. Could you imagine getting a copy of Carl & The Passions after only hearing their Surfin' USA or All Summer Long albums? No wonder their commercial successes were minimal in the '70s unless they were releasing greatest hits compilations.

That's precisely what I love about Carl and the Passions. That album must've been a big WTF moment for some listeners.

I think on Holland they did move in a direction much more in tune with where they originally came from. It's a very 70s record and still sounds totally like the BB, especially on California Saga of course.
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 05:52:46 AM »

Agreed. That piano part on the bridge is so simple but absolutely pretty.

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 01:23:12 PM »

I'm hoping someday we get to hear instrumental versions of "Cuddle Up" and "Make It Good". There's some things going on instrumentally in both these tracks that are jaw-dropping that I'd love to hear in finer detail.

I always thought Dennis was at his best with his classically-inspired material: "Barbara", "Forever", "Baby Blue", etc.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx