gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:45:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys cancel their first Tel Aviv concert  (Read 7039 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2014, 02:04:18 PM »

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/entertainment/2014/10/21/beach-boys-cancel-their-first-tel-aviv-concert/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 02:19:19 PM »

Israel would be a neat place to visit; but there's no way I'd fly into a war zone and I'm generally surprised when others want to take that chance. 
but screw the palestinians and their boycott  ( they'll claim credit now , in any case)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 02:53:40 PM »

"The band, which shot to fame in the 1970s"

Anyone who calls himself a journalist and makes a mistake like this should be fired on the spot.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 03:53:33 PM »

Smart move when they're shelling the sh*t out of each other and the newspapers are awash with images and stories of dead kids.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 06:03:56 PM »

Wonder if it is a sun city type boycott/statement?    Given MIke's republican conservative leanings I would not think he would cancel a show in Israel for that reason.    Maybe bands and other high profile performers were cautioned.......
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 07:45:06 PM »

Wonder if it is a sun city type boycott/statement?    Given MIke's republican conservative leanings I would not think he would cancel a show in Israel for that reason.    Maybe bands and other high profile performers were cautioned.......

Mike's not a conservative Republican. Only claim is in the WIBN book (in a horrible context of slandering... I paraphrase: "while being a conservative Republican, he tried to have his girlfriend to abort their baby"). His public statements regarding politics have been un-Republican many times.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 09:48:16 PM »

Mike's a California Republican at most, which is a Democrat everywhere else. Now Brooth does some "OBAMA SUKKKKKSSS" junk, so he is no question a Republican.

That said, I mostly side with Israel in these issues, but I also don't blame anyone for not going anywhere near that entire part of the world.  I'd even be scared to go to Europe, but poverty prevents that anyway.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 10:32:16 PM »

The security issues with going to Israel were known before this concert was booked.  So why cancel now?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 01:07:07 AM »

Because they're chickenshit!  LOL

http://www.timesofisrael.com/rolling-stones-rock-tel-aviv-in-first-ever-israel-concert/
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 02:17:36 AM »

Grin Grin
bluesno1fann
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 02:29:29 AM »

Good.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 02:33:52 AM »

I'm about to flip my sh*t with the article linked...

Part of the band’s European tour, the show is a historic visit — the first performance in Israel by one of the two bands that founded modern popular music. The other is The Beatles, whose Paul McCartney played at the same Yarkon Park venue in September 2008.

Urge to kill rising...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 05:31:36 AM »

hmmmm
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:32:58 AM by chris.metcalfe » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 06:23:08 AM »

Good.
They can always rebook it when things become more stable.   Wink

Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 07:59:59 AM »

I'm sorry, but this bit had me Wall :

"...he could not see any reasons for the concert being called off."

Brow Really? There's no reason for an American pop group to cancel a concert in the Middle East?

Yep. Truly baffling that they would cancel the show. Roll Eyes
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 08:35:29 AM »

Obviously, it wouldn't be wise to hang about in Palestine, but are people in Israel in much real danger at present, day to day?  Ain't that iron dome protecting them?  Last suicide bombings were in 2008.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 09:18:42 PM »

http://www.timesofisrael.com/beach-boys-wont-get-around-here-after-all/

Bad vibrations
Beach Boys won’t get around here after all
Popular band nixes Tel Aviv show due to poor ticket sales, looks forward to return to region ‘as soon as possible’
By Times of Israel staff October 21, 2014, 6:37 pm

The Beach Boys canceled a scheduled show in Israel, apparently due to poor ticket sales, the concert’s local promoters said Tuesday.

The group, which is currently on world tour, had been set to perform in Tel Aviv’s Nokia Stadium late next month. The group did not provide any further details about the cancellation, but said in a statement that the band members were looking forward “to returning to the region as soon as possible.”

Ticket holders will receive refunds within 14 days, promoters said.

Founded in 1961 by brothers Brian, Dennis and Carl Wilson, their cousin Mike Love and friend Al Jardine, the Beach Boys have only one original musician still performing with the band — Mike Love.

The current tour is anchored by Love and Bruce Johnston, who joined the band in 1965 and Jeff Foskett, who came on board in 1981. The other musicians joining the tour are Tim Bonhomme, Scott Totten, Randell Kirsch and Jon Cowsill, all of whom have played with the Beach Boys for the last 10 to 20 years.

Known for their vocal harmonies in hits such as “Kokomo,” “California Girls,” “Surfin’ USA,” “Good Vibrations,” “Sloop John B” and “Help Me, Rhonda,” the group has sold more singles and albums than any other American band in history, according to Billboard Magazine.

Adiv Sterman and Jessica Steinberg contributed to this report.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:48:53 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 09:37:49 PM »

What a surprise. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 09:41:34 PM »

http://jpupdates.com/2014/10/22/surprise-beach-boys-suddenly-cancel-tel-aviv-concert/

Surprise: The Beach Boys Suddenly Cancel Tel Aviv Concert
October 22, 2014  11:25 AM by Boruch Shubert

Legendary American pop vocal group The Beach Boys has unexpectedly pulled out of its planned concert in Israel next month. The show had been set to take place on November 29 at Tel Aviv’s Nokia Arena.

Israeli producer Gad Oron was surprised when he was informed of the cancellation by the band’s representatives, who did state that the group members were looking forward to return to the area sometime soon. The reps also promised that those who had already purchased tickets will receive a refund within 14 days.

As reported by Ynet, the Israeli production company claimed that the concert was not cancelled due to disappointing ticket sales, and that it had believed thousands of tickets would end up being sold by the time of the performance. However, informed observers noted that The Beach Boys were slated to perform in Israel without the participation of founding member and original primary force, Brian Wilson, a fact that may have led to poor ticket sales.

Since beginning their singing career in 1961, The Beach Boys – known for their intricate vocal harmonies on such classic hits as “Good Vibrations” and their evocation of the sunny California lifestyle – have sold over 100 million records worldwide.

In another concert development, long-time Australian soft rock duo Air Supply has signed a contract to perform two concerts at the Charles Bronfman Auditorium in Tel Aviv on December 12 and 14, three years after its last show in the Jewish state.

Air Supply features Graham Russell as guitarist and singer-songwriter, and Russell Hitchcock as lead vocalist. Performing professionally since 1975, they continue to record and stage concerts around the world.
The duo, which has sold more than 100 million records to date, had its greatest period of success during the 1980′s with top 10 hits such as “The One That You Love” and “All Out of Love.”

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 10:02:46 PM »

http://www.timesofisrael.com/beach-boys-planning-israel-stop-on-world-tour/

Surfin' Tel Aviv
Beach Boys to play Israel on world tour
With veteran members and relative newcomers, the legendary band celebrates its 50th, again
By Jessica Steinberg September 3, 2014, 1:50 pm

The Beach Boys will make a stop in Israel during a current world tour, one of several 50th anniversary tours organized by the legendary folk rock band over the last few years.

The band, which changed the way Americans rocked to rhythm and blues, will perform on November 29 in Tel Aviv’s Nokia Stadium.

Founded in 1961 by brothers Brian, Dennis and Carl Wilson, their cousin Mike Love and friend Al Jardine, the only original musician still performing with the band is Mike Love.

The current tour is anchored by Love and Bruce Johnston, who joined the band in 1965 and Jeff Foskett, who came on board in 1981. The other musicians joining the tour are Tim Bonhomme, Scott Totten, Randell Kirsch and Jon Cowsill, all of whom have played with the Beach Boys for the last 10 to 20 years.

Local concert promoter Gad Oron is handling their stop in Israel.

Known for their vocal harmonies in hits such as “Kokomo,” “California Girls,” “Surfin’ USA,” “Good Vibrations,” “Sloop John B” and “Help Me, Rhonda,” the group has sold more singles and albums than any other American band in history, according to Billboard Magazine.

Tickets are priced from NIS 390 to NIS 890, and are being sold through the Leaan website or by calling 8780*.

http://www.shalomlife.com/news/25618/the-beach-boys-are-surfing-to-israel/

The Beach Boys Are Surfing to Israel
The iconic band will perform on November 29th in Tel Aviv

By: Daniel Koren

Published: September 4th, 2014 in News » Israel

The All-American 60's rock n roll band, the Beach Boys, are surfing their way to Israel.

As part of their 50th anniversary tour - the latest in a string of such anniversary tours that the band have embarked on over the past few years - the veteran rockers, accompanied by a few new additions to the band, will make their way to Tel Aviv come November 29th.

They will perform at Nokia Stadium.

The Beach Boys are lauded as one of the most important American rock groups of the era, responsible for introducing mainstream American audiences to a new wave of rock, rhythm, and blues.

The band was founded in 1961, by brothers Brian, Dennis and Carl Wilson, as well as their cousin Mike Love and friend Al Jardine. The Beach Boys busted out hit after hit during their prime, with a fully stacked repertoire of well-known rock numbers that will forever echo through the ages, including "Surfin' USA," "Good Vibrations," "Kokomo," "Help Me, Rhonda" and several others.

According to Billboard, the band have sold more singles and albums than any other American rock band in history.

The group's current tour will feature a cadre of distinguished musicians, including Bruce Johnston, who joined the band in '65, Jeff Foskett (joined in '81), and Tim Bonhomme, Scott Totten, Randell Kirsch and Jon Cowsill (all of whom have played alongside the Boys for at least a decade).

Tickets for the Tel Aviv performance will range from NIS 398 to NIS 890.

See you there.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 11:02:20 PM »

Poor ticket sales due to no Brian.

The Israelis know when something is just not kosher.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:50:39 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 11:07:07 PM »

However, informed observers noted that The Beach Boys were slated to perform in Israel without the participation of founding member and original primary force, Brian Wilson, a fact that may have led to poor ticket sales.

They mean us.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 06:59:13 AM »

I wonder who is fueling the information machine to the media (who obviously usually don’t know much about the group) that implies Foskett is of the same member status as Johnston, and mentions his joining in 1981 without mentioning the 24-year gap from 1990 to 2014. Lazy media is to blame, no question. But I’m curious if they are all independently researching these things. I’ve seen numerous articles that cite Foskett’s previous tenure with the touring band (and his time with Brian of course) in a clear attempt to legitimize the current lineup.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 09:25:58 AM »

Sadly, these days "research" = stick the relevant name into Google and click on the first result shown. At best, they'll check out Wikipedia.

[sigh]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 09:32:06 AM »

Sadly, these days "research" = stick the relevant name into Google and click on the first result shown. At best, they'll check out Wikipedia.

[sigh]

I've been reading a lot of articles lately about the veracity of Wikipedia (as in, attempting to accurately measure it). I think what's left out is sometimes as problematic as what is put in there.

I wish I could find the NBC news report on YouTube, I think reporting on their "30th Anniversary" show at the Capitol tower, where the reporter pronounces Al's last name with the "H" sounds as if it's Spanish or something. "Al Hardine." I mean, how much research would that have taken?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx