gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:41:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 7/4/80 DC show in retrospect  (Read 21021 times)
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2014, 08:22:33 AM »

Really cool to watch this concert again, 34 years later.  Yeah, School Days is definitely a low point in the concert, and a song way too uncool in for the BBs to have covered in 1980.  (With absolutely no disrespect intended toward Chuck Berry's 1957 original, which worked quite well in the fifties.)

As far at the falsetto in I Get Around, this concert underwent some sweetening after the fact, right?  So who knows.

Never realized it's Billy Hinsche singing the main lead on Surfer Girl on the BBs In Concert album.  Amazing to learn that all these years later.  Just went back and listened again, on the new BB In Concert vinyl, and noticed that the composer credit goes to "Wilson-Morgan" on this 2014 pressing, just as it is listed on the original Nov. 1973 vinyl as well as two other vinyl copies of BB In Concert I purchased in 1977 and 1979.  The Beach Boys In Concert vinyl is the only place I've ever seen "Morgan" (would that supposedly be Hite or Bruce?) listed along with Brian Wilson as a co-writer, as opposed to The Beach Boys in Concert CD as well as all other vinyl albums, singles, and CDs which feature Surfer Girl and list only BW as the composer.

I know people say Billy Hinsche sang that lead on Surfer Girl, but I would swear that's Al Jardine. It sounds so much like his phrasings and  you can't hear Al anywhere else in the harmony and you can ALWAYS hear Al on the Surfer Girl harmony.  I would maybe buy Billy on the "little one" at the end.  While I know Billy did high parts for them in the 70s , every other recording I have heard is Al dating back to '65 and up to the 80's.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2014, 10:16:53 AM »

What "people" say it's Billy Hinsche on Surfer Girl? This is the first time I've read/heard that. I bought "In Concert" in November '73 and all these years I thought it was Al singing the lead on that. I still do. Did Billy himself say he sang it? Otherwise.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2014, 11:02:47 AM »

Following on to the hostages comment, IIRC if you listen carefully to "Help Me Rhonda" on the Long Beach concert, you can hear someone in a low gutteral voice say something that sounds like "I love Shawn!"

Camera's not on the person saying it, but I have a pretty good guess who it was.

Might off a tad here, but I don't think they'd met by summer 1980 (Jon ?).

Is adamghost referring to the Long Beach concert - in 1981?

Yes, it was Long Beach. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI5TcuwPOHA
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2014, 12:27:16 PM »

A friend supplied me with a tape of the Washington broadcast back in 1980.  Most of it was mono; an edit from FM and AM recordings.  But no sweetening for the initial broadcast.  I thought the band sounded great this tour... there was a great Carl Wilson extended guitar rift that bridged the end of Barbara Ann with the intro to Fun Fun Fun in that tour that really kicked ass.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2014, 03:38:29 PM »

Following on to the hostages comment, IIRC if you listen carefully to "Help Me Rhonda" on the Long Beach concert, you can hear someone in a low gutteral voice say something that sounds like "I love Shawn!"

Camera's not on the person saying it, but I have a pretty good guess who it was.

Might off a tad here, but I don't think they'd met by summer 1980 (Jon ?).

Is adamghost referring to the Long Beach concert - in 1981?

Ah phooey, so he is. Duh.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2014, 08:11:40 PM »

What "people" say it's Billy Hinsche on Surfer Girl? This is the first time I've read/heard that. I bought "In Concert" in November '73 and all these years I thought it was Al singing the lead on that. I still do. Did Billy himself say he sang it? Otherwise.....

Yes, he did.  

Check the lead vocal credits thread elsewhere in this board for the part that covered IN CONCERT.  My recollection is that we asked him because to OUR ears, the falsetto and middle solo vocal did not sound like anyone from the group.  And Billy confirmed it was him.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:15:32 PM by adamghost » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2014, 09:33:02 PM »

Surfer Girl - Alan, with Billy Hinsche on falsetto

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5525.msg73887.html#msg73887

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2014, 09:49:47 PM »

Yes, he did.  

Check the lead vocal credits thread elsewhere in this board for the part that covered IN CONCERT.  My recollection is that we asked him because to OUR ears, the falsetto and middle solo vocal did not sound like anyone from the group.  And Billy confirmed it was him.

OK, well then, from the horse's mouth!  Smiley  Always thought pretty much the whole song was falsetto, but it makes sense that Billy sang a part while Al sang lead.

And while I was there, is see the credits for Marcella didn't include Brian on the background vocals. Thought it was agreed somewhere that he was doing a 'counter' vocal at the tag. "Hey yay Marcella" or something like that. And I didn't know Toni Tennille helped Dennis with the vocal on Cuddle Up either. I always liked hers and Daryl's version.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 09:56:35 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2014, 07:14:57 AM »

As this has always been the show I’m most nostalgic about as well, due to playing it a million times on VHS over the years, I’ve picked up a few trivia tidbits regarding the show over the years:

Back around 2002 when they were prepping the “Knebworth 1980” DVD and CD, I recall that Bruce mentioned he would have preferred releasing the Washington DC show instead. The reasoning makes sense: Bruce worked on both projects. But to him, the DC show was a “finished” project. The did the show, did some overdubs, and it was “released” via its airing on TV. “Knebworth” on the other hand was something fiddled with after the fact (some indications suggest they made more than one attempt to go back and do overdubs) and then shelved. This attitude would also explain one potential reason Bruce asked them to drop “I Write the Songs” from the Knebworth release.

Word some years back (ten or so) was that the “raw” footage of the DC show was *not* in the BB’s vaults, only the finished hour-long TV edit (the BB’s have always of course held the multi-track audio masters). However, it appears they may have since tracked down the raw footage, as one of the early TV commercials for the 2012 “C50” tour, which used a hodge podge of quick-cut clips from over the years, had some footage of “California Girls” from the DC show, which is not in the hour-long TV edit.

Because I’m so into this show, the uncut, raw footage from this show is probably my holy grail. I tried to rustle up some info on if the raw footage had surfaced back when that 2012 TV commercial aired, but nothing came of that.

That Japanese DVD I reviewed was very difficult to track down. It was issued during the very early days of DVD back around 1997. I believe it had previously been issued on VHS (don’t know about laserdisc) back in the 80’s or 90’s in Japan. I actually tracked down a kind fan in France who purchased it at the Virgin Megastore in Paris as a Japanese import, around 1999. I then had to track down a DVD player that would play “Region 2” discs. That Japanese DVD quickly went out of print.

As for overdubs on the DC show, if you listen to the DVD with headphones, you can more easily discern what’s going on. It sounds like they mostly added a layer of electric keyboard overdubs. You can actually heard the electric piano almost “punch in” at certain points. It sounds as though there isn’t a ton of vocal overdubbing going on. The intro to “School Days” is obviously re-recorded (or heavily overdubbed). If anything, the backing vocals are often buried in the mix. If they overdubbed backing vocals, they still chose to keep them lower in the mix. But overall, there isn’t a ton of tinkering going on with this mix. The lead vocals, the drums, etc. are all original and live.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2014, 08:36:08 AM »

For some reason the Washington DC show always seemed a bit lifeless to me, at least compared with the Knebworth show. One of the highlights for me was seeing/hearing Brian interact during the tag of Good Timin'.

Brian is frustratingly quiet throughout both performances and I love the Knebworth rendition of Surfer Girl where his part is being introduced by Dennis. One of the group's most magical moments that was ever caught on video tape.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2014, 08:41:02 AM »

For some reason the Washington DC show always seemed a bit lifeless to me, at least compared with the Knebworth show.
I completely agree. IMO Knebworth is better in every way, especially visually.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2014, 09:09:42 AM »

Back around 2002 when they were prepping the “Knebworth 1980” DVD and CD, I recall that Bruce mentioned he would have preferred releasing the Washington DC show instead. The reasoning makes sense: Bruce worked on both projects. But to him, the DC show was a “finished” project. The did the show, did some overdubs, and it was “released” via its airing on TV. “Knebworth” on the other hand was something fiddled with after the fact (some indications suggest they made more than one attempt to go back and do overdubs) and then shelved. This attitude would also explain one potential reason Bruce asked them to drop “I Write the Songs” from the Knebworth release.

I recall one of the reasons Bruce cited for preferring the DC show to Knebworth is that he thought Dennis looked "terrible" in the Knebworth footage. I'm of the opinion the opposite is true. I think Dennis looks great and gives major energy and balls to the Knebworth concert...on the other hand he looks compromised and tired in the DC footage. A lot has to do with camera angles and the fact that Dennis had cut off his hair and beard which revealed a face which had aged quickly since '75. But aside from that Dennis is a more powerful figure in the Knebworth footage, his body language is far less powerful at DC...to me DC is the signal that he's losing it, or already lost it. Plus I absolutely hate the daytime stage wear the BB's are sporting at DC, and the whole thing seems scattered despite the amazing audience energy. Knebworth has a focus, and a visual appeal that is missing in the DC footage for me.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2014, 09:26:29 AM »

In case someone missed these:

1980 Hawaii

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzOODarjt84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxT-r4nTkFs

1980 Holland (thanks to Klaas)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgvWCG4fo7E

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2014, 10:36:08 AM »

I agree with you on Phirnis and Jon about Dennis and Knebworth. He plays well all night, the "Ladies and Gentleman, Brian Wilson" on Surfer Girl is great, and I love his interaction with Mike Meros on Surfin' USA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU9-uY_32uA

Dennis certainly still had the "spark" then.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2014, 11:54:04 AM »

I agree with the above comment about Brian on Good Timin' in DC. He looks and sounds totally disinterested in his Sloop John B opening vocal (Knebworth is better), but his singing and facial expressions look like the Brian of better times on Good Timin'. I see Carl's gesture as a reminder to Brian to sing his counterpoint vocal again.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2014, 03:46:01 PM »

Yes, he did. 
Check the lead vocal credits thread elsewhere in this board for the part that covered IN CONCERT.  My recollection is that we asked him because to OUR ears, the falsetto and middle solo vocal did not sound like anyone from the group.  And Billy confirmed it was him.

Ya I remember when that thread was taking place. I'm still baffled by that because there are plenty of other times when both Al and Billy were on stage together and Al always sang the lead/falsetto as well as the middle 8.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2014, 04:05:51 PM »

I agree with the above comment about Brian on Good Timin' in DC. He looks and sounds totally disinterested in his Sloop John B opening vocal (Knebworth is better), but his singing and facial expressions look like the Brian of better times on Good Timin'. I see Carl's gesture as a reminder to Brian to sing his counterpoint vocal again.

Brian looks pretty disinterested and disengaged at pretty much every 1980 show I've seen or heard. 1979 for that matter. Back in 77/78, he could still occasionally have a bit of a spark on stage, at least energy-wise.

His disposition was probably just as unmotivated in 1981-1982 as well, but he was forced to be more engaged since he had to take a bunch of Carl's leads.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Nicko1234
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2014, 04:11:46 PM »

Brian looks pretty disinterested and disengaged at pretty much every 1980 show I've seen or heard. 1979 for that matter. Back in 77/78, he could still occasionally have a bit of a spark on stage, at least energy-wise.

His disposition was probably just as unmotivated in 1981-1982 as well, but he was forced to be more engaged since he had to take a bunch of Carl's leads.

Careful, careful. That is almost an invitation to post that clip again.  Wink
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2014, 04:27:06 PM »

The only time I remember Brian "sparking" and having one helluva good time on stage was in 1978. I think it was the Largo show. He musta snorted some looooong hog rails before that concert!!  Runnin' all over the place and getting into the singing - yelling into the mic. There may be others that I'm forgetting, but that one stands out in my mind.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2014, 04:38:35 PM »

Never cared much for Brian's "part" on "Good Timin" at the 7/4/80 concert. It was very shouty, his part wasn't really necessary, but most uncomfortable was the way he had to depend on Carl for his cue, like he couldn't remember when to come in.

Two better than average 1979/80 Brian performances - both televised - were the Midnight Special (1979) and that Fridays TV show (1980). 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2014, 04:43:50 PM »

I watched this show for the first time ever last night. While I don't think it was the man's best moment and I'm not usually one to single him out in a good way, I still was thankful for Dennis's presence. Even in moments when his drumming was a little sketchy in time or missing a beat here and there, his drumming was absolutely alive through the show. (He was the same in the Knebworth show being discussed here, of course, and throughout his career.) There are drummers with brilliant technique and that kind of raw energy but sadly they didn't seem to be in the Beach Boys' band very often. And in a live environment, if forced to pick one element or the other, I'd go Dennis's direction more often than not.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2014, 05:10:46 PM »

I saw quite a few shows in 1980-1983 when Dennis started drumming late on Surfin' USA... letting the guitar intro and Mike's first line play before starting to drum... I always thought it was intentional, adding more power to when the drums finally did kick in.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2014, 10:48:11 PM »

I saw quite a few shows in 1980-1983 when Dennis started drumming late on Surfin' USA... letting the guitar intro and Mike's first line play before starting to drum... I always thought it was intentional, adding more power to when the drums finally did kick in.
I'm pretty sure I've heard at least one early 60's performance of the song like that as well.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2014, 11:14:19 PM »

The only time I remember Brian "sparking" and having one helluva good time on stage was in 1978. I think it was the Largo show. He musta snorted some looooong hog rails before that concert!!  Runnin' all over the place and getting into the singing - yelling into the mic. There may be others that I'm forgetting, but that one stands out in my mind.

Beach Boys at the CNE in Toronto, August of '81. During the encore (or close to it), Brian got up from the piano and made an exaggerated sneak toward the guitar amps on stage. He then pantomimed turning the volume dials up.

Mike then said 'Oh no! Brian has just turned all the guitars way way UP!'  

It was a playful, unexpected moment. I love those 'Brian' moments.

(also during the unplugged casino shows in Vancouver, circa '06 - during the lineup bow at the end of the show, Brian unceremoniously lifted his shirt high above his belly)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:16:53 PM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2014, 12:17:35 AM »

Is it just me, or does everybody seem mad about something at that DC show? Mike, Al and Carl all look angry about something. During Good Timin', Carl almost misses his cue at the start, then looks really frustrated with himself for messing up the words. During the intro Mike wasn't even on the stage. Mike looks downright pissed off during much of the show. The concert itself is pretty good though. Dennis plays great and almost sounds like he did in the old days. This show really proves what an amazing guitar player Carl was. He was on fire!  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx