gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:50:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: mental_floss 15 facts about "Pet Sounds"  (Read 2635 times)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2014, 06:05:41 PM »

http://mentalfloss.com/article/59457/15-facts-about-pet-sounds
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 06:16:49 PM »

"7. Brian's abusive father and manager Murry Wilson had effectively been kicked out of his sons' musical lives after a drunken, in-studio tirade during a recording of "Help Me, Rhonda." Despite this, he managed to use his clout with Capitol Records to speed up Brian's vocal track on "Caroline, No" to make it sound higher to his liking."

If by "effectively been kicked out" they mean fired as manager, that was before the infamous 'Help Me, Rhonda' vocal session. Plus I'm not so sure Murry sped up 'Caroline, No' without Brian's knowledge, but I could be wrong.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 11:20:34 PM »

Thought I had read that Murry suggested speeding up Caroline No to Brian and Brian liked the idea.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 01:01:41 AM »

#2 is questionable, unless you're taking the long view...

#3 is flat out wrong: almost all the Pet Sounds sessions were in early 1966...

#11 is debatable: the album was released May 16th, "Wouldn't It Be Nice" on July 8th...

#14 is also wrong: in the UK it peaked at #2. The bit about Pepper is also up for debate, as in May 1966, The Beatles were still recording Revolver.

Still, props for not repeating the "Sloop John B" canard.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
felipe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 09:59:12 PM »

#6 is totally made up. But it's the book author's fault. The point is logically and factually false. You Still Believe In Me had another lyric when the backing track was recorded.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 01:23:43 AM »

#6 is totally made up. But it's the book author's fault. The point is logically and factually false. You Still Believe In Me had another lyric when the backing track was recorded.

Care to share your source for that ? The "YSBIM" track was originally recorded as "In My Childhood" (allegedly - no-one's ever found an AFM sheet). but as far as anyone knows* no lyrics were ever written.

[* most useful qualifier.  Grin]

felipe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 10:40:39 AM »

Care to share your source for that ? The "YSBIM" track was originally recorded as "In My Childhood" (allegedly - no-one's ever found an AFM sheet). but as far as anyone knows* no lyrics were ever written.

[* most useful qualifier.  Grin]
Nothing special, I guess everyone's:
Tony Asher in the Making Of Pet Sounds
You Still Believe In Me was the first thing I wrote. Brian ALREADY HAD A TRACK FOR THAT. He didn't ever played me the original lyric. That was recorded, I guess, with that lyric... In My Childhood. (He) just picked out the melody on the piano, which was then recorded over THAT TRACK, and I went home and wrote the lyric to that melody.

Well, probably the vocals were never recorded, or Brian wouldn't have to record a piano guide. And maybe all Brian did to that lyric was the title, I don't know. My main point was another, and I'm sorry for the uncertain assumption
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:46:25 AM by felipe » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 11:11:15 AM »

Tony never saw the original lyrics and he's only assuming that there ever were any, or that any were recorded. Elsewhere Asher has stated that BW gave him a copy (acetate ?) of the track, to which he wrote the lyric.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx