gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 10:40:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Somehow I missed the official music video of TWGMTR  (Read 6056 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2014, 10:42:16 AM »

How did I not see this till now?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAmk-Wk2pNA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It appears that the relatively low number of views, 293k, is an indicator that this video wasn't really promoted well.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 11:39:15 AM »

I take it back...I now remember that this was featured on the screen behind the band when the song was performed live...
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »

I like the video, because it has Love You cover and cool cinematography. But I really wish they would have released video of Isn't It Time instead, featuring mainly the members only. That would've been so cool. Or even video of Summer's Gone. That would've topped even Johnny Cash's video of Hurt.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 12:11:25 PM »

Thanks for the link... this is new to me too. Towards the end is kinda funny -- "why yes, my garage just happens to be full of old guys!"

I love the Love You album glimpsed at :59.   Cool

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 12:50:22 PM »

Towards the end is kinda funny -- "why yes, my garage just happens to be full of old guys!"

Not just funny … surreal. Every music fan should imprison their favourite band for 20 years and let them out for occasionally yuppie raves.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 12:57:36 PM »

It appears that the relatively low number of views, 293k, is an indicator that this video wasn't really promoted well.

It only has 293k views because it was released a few months after the single.  The lyric video does have a more respectable 675k views.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 01:11:41 PM »

I thought it was a great video... with subtle differences in the cinematography, depending on whether the shots were supposed to be taking place in the 1960s, 1970s or 1980s (or present).  Bringing the (young) generations together.  I thought the 1970s footage was particularly well done.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 02:00:52 PM »

I love that video. I could only image just how good the videos for 'Summer's Gone' or 'Isn't It Time' might've turned out, if they'd been made along those lines.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 02:26:02 PM »

I think the point of the video was how they sold the Beach Boys to a younger audience... as if to say that the music is all about eternal youth and fun to countless generations.  Thus only a brief glimpse of the mostly 70+ band members.

I have to admit, I got a chill when I saw those battered blue equipment cases with the Beach Boys Indian logo stamped on the side.  Those shots brought back a lot of fond memories.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 02:50:59 PM »

It probably doesn't help that the video looks like it's made up mostly of the background stock footage they use for a pharmaceutical TV commercial. I get it, the actual guys are old and nobody but hardcore fans want to really actually *look* at them, but still....

At least the "Do It Again" video had actual footage of the band recording (some real, some staged) mixed in among the generic stock footage.

The BB's have NEVER made good music videos. The ship had sailed for them in that area before MTV even became a big thing. A few of their promotions films are good (mostly the 60's stuff), and of course we folks find it all interesting. But their promo films/music videos have often been *worse* than the worst music from the same era. Their cover of "Crocodile Rock" wasn't exactly A+ material, but the recording is a masterpiece compared to the music video they made to go along with it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:53:01 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 04:24:59 PM »

The video's not very good. The song isn't that great either.

But the best bit is the second time you see the BBs in the video, at around 2:41? Brian's expression says it all.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 04:49:20 PM »

This fan-made video was far better than the official video.

http://youtu.be/yg8QqwWb3RI

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 04:53:53 PM »

Say what you will about the video. But seeing the boys appear at the end of the video was an ass-kicking moment for me back in 2012. It still kicks serious ass. And for a fan, the glorious sight of those five guys together cannot be topped.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 04:55:30 PM »

It's not a good video really... it's like they put 100 vines or instagram pics together. I know they tried to seduce the young audience, but... they did it all wrong. It's annoying, superficial and very confusing... all this different-eras guys meet in a house and they have a bunch of old people locked up (doing what?) in a garage?

Jack Rieley... time has proved you right...
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 06:50:27 PM »

Excellent.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 06:53:38 PM »

Awful, charmless and without a shred of actual creativity.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 10:40:31 PM »

Wow! it's well done and often in time with the music..

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 11:00:39 PM »

I never saw this before, but I love the ending.
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 12:43:56 AM »

It's not a good video really... it's like they put 100 vines or instagram pics together. I know they tried to seduce the young audience, but... they did it all wrong. It's annoying, superficial and very confusing... all this different-eras guys meet in a house and they have a bunch of old people locked up (doing what?) in a garage?

Jack Rieley... time has proved you right...

To each his own. I really like it and the good-times vibe coming off all those different sequences. To me the ending falls completey flat though with that cheesy garage scene. You can tell right away that the scene with the boys has been filmed with lesser equipment and a substantial change in Picture quality as a result. To me it just comes across as a case of "oh well, I guess we can't avoid having these oldsters somewhere in the video. Quickly, put 'em in the garage and film them for a few seconds with this shoddy video recorder. That'll do..."

The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 08:04:36 AM »

The BB's have NEVER made good music videos. The ship had sailed for them in that area before MTV even became a big thing. A few of their promotions films are good (mostly the 60's stuff), and of course we folks find it all interesting. But their promo films/music videos have often been *worse* than the worst music from the same era. Their cover of "Crocodile Rock" wasn't exactly A+ material, but the recording is a masterpiece compared to the music video they made to go along with it.
California Dreamin' video being the exception.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 01:29:49 PM »

Say what you will about the video. But seeing the boys appear at the end of the video was an ass-kicking moment for me back in 2012. It still kicks serious ass. And for a fan, the glorious sight of those five guys together cannot be topped.
A massive +1 for Putney`s sentiments here.  It was pretty cool and well handled, and over time I've come to appreciate some of the earlier sequences.  Back in the day, I was anticipating a woefully hacked together montage of archival BB footage with clumsy attempts at syncing old performances with the new track; just like the fan video.  So getting a contempoary vid was a nice treat.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 08:29:01 AM »

I saw this vid in 2012, during C50 craze. Didn't like it then, don't now. 1st, the visual range is too fast it hurts the eyes; 2nd, I don't care about the generation thing, seeing unfamiliar faces in a clip to the 1st Beach Boys single is to me a very weird move. If you want to bring in the younguns, give 'em less screen time, show the band. When I click on the link reading "The Beach Boys - That's Why god Made the Radio", I expect to see The BBs, preferably singing exactly TWGMTR. Though cobbling together old footage would've been a nice retrospective of their career, of course. That fan-made video was pretty good.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Nicko1234
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 08:36:07 AM »

I hadn`t seen this before but that wasn`t much of a loss. Very nice to see the group members together at the end of course but the rest of the video is deathly dull and far too generic imo.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx